PDA

View Full Version : The Demesnes and Surrounding Environs of Chroeia

Lloyien
02-01-2012, 10:39 PM
The Imperial Society of Explorers and Cartographers proudly presents CHROEIA, an ambitious undertaking planned and generously funded by the Doge of Cannesport.

Hello all; this is my first submission to the Cartographer's Guild. I made it using Fractal Terrains to generate and edit a base map, and then took that and further edited it in Paint.NET. Both the cartouche that I used, and the compass rose, were provided through Terraformer for Fractal Terrains Pro. I hope you like my creation.

Korash
02-01-2012, 11:16 PM
Well, let me be the first to welcome you to the Guild, the Mappiest Place on the Web :D

And I will also banish the Grey Pip of Newbness with my piddly repping stick for posting a nice map in your first post ;)

It does look nice. I enjoyed the water pattern as it is quite different from the standard blue :)

Bogie
02-01-2012, 11:23 PM
Yeah, it's not often someone uses black Victorian wallpaper to symbolize the ocean, but it works.

Lloyien
02-02-2012, 12:03 AM
Well, let me be the first to welcome you to the Guild, the Mappiest Place on the Web :D

And I will also banish the Grey Pip of Newbness with my piddly repping stick for posting a nice map in your first post ;)

It does look nice. I enjoyed the water pattern as it is quite different from the standard blue :)

Yeah, it's not often someone uses black Victorian wallpaper to symbolize the ocean, but it works.

Thank you, the both of you. The Victorian wallpaper, and the inspiration for using it in the water, were both the product of an excellent tutorial I had stumbled upon, the Genesis of Israh (http://www.worldofgotha.com/PF_TUTORIAL/israh_index.html). If I recall correctly, this is the work of another Cartographer's Guild member, Ramah, who deserves credit for his excellent work, and for making the tools available that I used.

Lukc
02-02-2012, 03:08 AM
A lovely map and well come! :)

rdanhenry
02-03-2012, 01:28 AM
The only thing about it that bothers me is that I'm not sure what the white areas are supposed to be.

Lukc
02-03-2012, 03:40 AM
I'm guessing "high mountains."

Lloyien
02-03-2012, 01:22 PM
The only thing about it that bothers me is that I'm not sure what the white areas are supposed to be.

I'm guessing "high mountains."

Lukc is correct. The base map that I worked off of has particularly high elevations set to white. In the creation of the map, I used sepia toning to give the geography a more aged, "papery" appearance, and to make the political overlay look more like a stain; it worked, in my opinion, quite excellently. However, the mountains did not change much, as you can see here:

Lukc
02-06-2012, 04:06 AM
I would guess you could adjust levels to make the white less brilliant, but then it also becomes less snowy, so ... a bit double edged.

Ramah
02-07-2012, 05:23 AM
Lloyien, I was not the one responsible for the excellent Israh tutorial. That was A2Area I believe. I think he gave a link to some brushes of mine in the tut for use as markers but I cannot take any credit for it. It's all A2Area and it is indeed a wonderful tutorial.