PDA

View Full Version : **** February 2012 Challenge - A New take on Old Games ***

tilt
02-03-2012, 07:49 AM
This months challenge is to take an existing board game and give it an update and maybe a cool twist as well. Battle Ludo, Orkish Chess, Steam Punk Monopoly, Lizards and Stairs - what ever fun idea you can come up with - just remember to use an existing game as "base".

Don't forget to follow the Mapping Challenge rules (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?503-README-Mapping-Challenge-Rules).

This challenge will end on the 26th of February. The winner will get a shiny golden compass added to their profile.

LonewandererD
02-03-2012, 11:21 AM
So would it actually have to be a redesign of a board game or a map that looks like said baord game if that makes any sense? So a redesigned checkerboard or a map that looks like a large strange checkersboard, basically a practical board game or an artistically interpreted baord game.

-D-

Nighthawk
02-03-2012, 01:09 PM
A week ago I said I'd try and participate this month... And man, do you make this one difficult.

I have an idea, but I question whether it's within the realm of my abilities.

We'll see... :)

tilt
02-03-2012, 02:08 PM
So would it actually have to be a redesign of a board game or a map that looks like said baord game if that makes any sense? So a redesigned checkerboard or a map that looks like a large strange checkersboard, basically a practical board game or an artistically interpreted baord game.
-D-

eh... yes? ... lol.. you can redesign the board of a game - or even change elements etc. just as long as the new work is based on an existing game (one you could purchase publicly at some point in time - not the one made by cheese and electric wires that takes up your basement ;) )

A week ago I said I'd try and participate this month... And man, do you make this one difficult.
I have an idea, but I question whether it's within the realm of my abilities.
We'll see... :)

well... this is a "challenge" after all ... so give it your best shot - the primary function of the challenges is to push peoples boundries for what they make so they get better :)

Master TMO
02-03-2012, 02:14 PM
Time will be the issue, as always, but I know what game I will rework if I choose to participate.

... Dammit. I just had thoughts of how to do 2 or 3 different games now. >_< Curse you Short Month Challenge!! *shakes fist*

Bogie
02-03-2012, 02:40 PM
Cool Idea, I think I will make a fantasy version of Mancala: 41846

Nighthawk
02-03-2012, 05:07 PM
I've already started my "Clue" serivative (even made a thread!), so much so that today I got absolutely nothing done at work.

I hope that winning pays well, 'cause I might be out a job if I keep this up... ;)

maxsdaddy
02-03-2012, 10:54 PM
I think the chess-heads may come out of the wood work for this challenge :) Time to go digging in the closet for games. mmm ... shiny compass.

anstett
02-05-2012, 12:56 PM
Hmmm, I already did this last fall.

http://www.kloogeinc.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4855

Does it count as cheating if I used a ship icon from one of the excellent mappers here for my version of the board game?

Will have to think about making adjustments to this for an appropriate entry.

BOB

Immolate
02-05-2012, 04:44 PM
Sometimes the restrictions are very tight, like when we latch on to another contest (one page dungeon contest for example) but usually the voters are the ones who judge the worthiness of your entry. Lots of folks will vote for whatever they like best regardless of how well it fulfills the requirements. Others will not vote for a piece that ignores the premise. I don't think I've ever seen a host disqualify anyone except when the qualifications were necessary, like the example above.

tilt
02-06-2012, 03:51 PM
the rules specify that you can't have begun on the map before it is announced - so maps you've allready finished or have begun can not be used - however - unless its mentioned in the challenge it self it is always allowed to use elements you have a your disposal, like brushes and so forth - so using an icon shouldn't pose any problems... and as Imm says... the voters are the final judges :)

Droner
02-08-2012, 11:20 AM
Ah perfect
last fall I made an orcish version of shogi. I think I reedit and design it a bit for this contest =D

EDIT:
I did at this point only rough designs and would do a whole/create new version of it... so can i enter the contest?

ravells
02-08-2012, 05:57 PM
Sure, enter away!

Robulous
02-16-2012, 09:27 PM
I'm a n00b but totally have a good idea, if I can find the time this month!!

Schwarzkreuz
02-21-2012, 07:06 AM
I want to do a redesign of the game of thrones boardgame settled 400 years prior to my Arden-Map. It should render the conflicts of the last civil-war and reuniting of the Elohim Realms and the imperial expansion to the south. It should be possible to play different cultures with the simplyfied war-rules of GoT.

Ares96
02-22-2012, 03:37 PM
Crossposted from my entry's thread:

Well, it should be evident to all by now, but I haven't been able or, to tell the truth, willing to prioritise this over my other works recently, and so I probably won't be able to participate with a finished entry. As such, I am formally withdrawing from the current Map Challenge.

So yeah, I'd very much appreciate it if one of the mods could remove my entry from the challenge considerations. Thank you very much!

DLC
02-22-2012, 05:30 PM
Well crap, I was really excited about getting in on my first challenge until I read that it has to have been created during the contest...This was perfect for it but guess I can't use it? http://swanboy.deviantart.com/art/Fallout-3-Monopoly-Set-188912542?q=gallery%3Aswanboy%2F7335400&qo=0

Droner
02-22-2012, 07:28 PM
I want to do a redesign of the game of thrones boardgame settled 400 years prior to my Arden-Map. It should render the conflicts of the last civil-war and reuniting of the Elohim Realms and the imperial expansion to the south. It should be possible to play different cultures with the simplyfied war-rules of GoT.

Really interested about that =D

Schwarzkreuz
02-23-2012, 09:31 AM
Well i hope to get this thing done in time i am still so overcriwded with stuff to do at the time

Lukc
02-26-2012, 11:46 AM
Come on Schwarz! :D Do it! :D

Droner
02-26-2012, 09:15 PM
Schwarz maybe you'll do the "game of pre-arden" just for fun? =D

Schwarzkreuz
02-26-2012, 09:38 PM
I am having a strong competative temper, and recently way to much to do... still its 2 days left.....

Hey Droner, you live around my corner, I am from Braunschweig.

Droner
02-27-2012, 08:24 PM
he? did i get something wrong? i thought the 26th was the last day... damnit XD i stressed myself to hard. and i really like what comes out at ticket to horror even while i don't know the concept how to play that ^^'

yep, my semesterticket ends poorly at hannover. that's really depressing i can't ride the train through all of NDS ^^ i had some friends in braunschweig but last year they moved away to walsrode...
maybe we meet sometime ^^

Nighthawk
02-27-2012, 09:22 PM
he? did i get something wrong? i thought the 26th was the last day...

I could've sworn it was, which is why I found it quite odd since it's several days short of the end of the month. No matter.

I was feeling confident until some of the last entries. Y'all did some great work, so this should be interesting... :)

Schwarzkreuz
02-28-2012, 07:06 AM
I am from the HBK university of arts, so my semesterticket is running in all of Lower Saxony. I would love to play your game. If everything getting as planed i will hopwfully find time for the next entry.

artearth
03-01-2012, 12:32 PM
New to the boards and the challenges. Am I missing something? I never saw a chance to vote on this month's submissions, and who won?

Droner
03-01-2012, 01:48 PM
You didn't miss anything at all. Vote's still coming, last entries were uploaded I think ^^

tilt
03-01-2012, 03:55 PM
Hi guys - been very busy last month but I'll return to close the challenge tomorrow if non of the other CL's beat me to it :)