PDA

View Full Version : Thinking Big - Torq's landgrab - choose a territory

Pages : [1] 2

Torq
03-31-2008, 03:51 PM
Right. Here are the available sections. They are about 600 miles by 600 miles. Who would like to be the first to pick one and start the great big mapping ball rolling? I have also included a heightmap with the grid over it so that you can get an idea of the layout of your section from a height point of view.

Once a section is taken I will post updated versions of the grid showing the name of the mapper instead of a number. I have my eye on a few, but out of courtesy I thought I should hold back until a few are gone.

Torq

ravells
03-31-2008, 04:09 PM
I'll get the ball rolling with section 12!

Torq
03-31-2008, 04:19 PM
Sold to the man in the silly hat!!

Do I hear "13" Ladies and Gentlemen?

NeonKnight
03-31-2008, 05:54 PM
Right. Here are the available sections. They are about 600 miles by 600 miles. Who would like to be the first to pick one and start the great big mapping ball rolling? I have also included a heightmap with the grid over it so that you can get an idea of the layout of your section from a height point of view.

Once a section is taken I will post updated versions of the grid showing the name of the mapper instead of a number. I have my eye on a few, but out of courtesy I thought I should hold back until a few are gone.

Torq

They aren't 'quite' 600x600. Remeber, because of the 'flattening' of a sphere, the north/south distance is the same but the 'top' of the image 1350 miles east west, bottom is 2616 miles east west, so the top's total east/west is almost 50% of the same distance as on the bottom.

NeonKnight
03-31-2008, 05:57 PM
I'll take areas 21, 22, and 24 :P

Oh, and I guess 6 as well.

Also, here are some major rivers as shown by FT.

Redrobes
03-31-2008, 06:30 PM
Ok then I had better take either 7 or 11 then or else we will be scattered. If Neon or Ravs want to expand into them then ill go with 18 (unless you want that one... I am easy). Torq you pick for me.

At this point do you guys think it would be better if this project had a top level 'board' with the sector numbers as threads in it ? We cant keep posting all in the same thread.

Oh and I think somebody ought to put a proper fantasy name to the "World of ThinkBig" and the continent of "Somenorthishplace".

Finally, if anyone wants to join me in a sector then please do - I never intended to map a sector alone. I can handle the terrain ok and the midrange regional stuff but theres villages to discover and populate...

RobA
03-31-2008, 06:38 PM
Wow-

that points out one of FT's weaknesses...

So many land-locked lakes! (And I but all the "lakes") are at sea level, too...

-Rob A>

Redrobes
03-31-2008, 07:04 PM
So many land-locked lakes!Yeah I know but its a horribly hard problem to solve. I asked Su-Liam about this on another thread and the MeDem guys and myself have been working on it for ages and it can be mitigated to some extent but its very hard to completely eliminate. My instant islands program would not have done any better but if you build up the land in bits keeping water flow involved it will mostly fix it but its really heavy compute stuff.

NeonKnight
03-31-2008, 07:21 PM
For land locked lakes I just raise the land levels for those areas (fudge them in other words ;)) to eliminate the issue.

Either that or I 'fake out' the coast lines in areas to make them large inland areas. A real world example is the straights of gibraltar and the mediterainean and the Baltic Sea around Germany, Finland, Poland and area. But, yeah it is a problem with ALL Terrain simulations I have seen :(

ravells
03-31-2008, 08:25 PM
I'm confused...aren't all lakes landlocked by definition?

I think Redrobes is right....made into a new thread for greater visibility.

NeonKnight
03-31-2008, 08:31 PM
LOL! Yeah, sorry, LAND-LOCKED SEAS! By default most of the large masses of water are shown at Sea Level.

RobA
03-31-2008, 09:24 PM
Yeah what he said!

Basically the program generates "potholes" at sea level that rivers flow into but not out of.

Compare that to (for example) the great lakes in North America... Lake Superior sits at about 180 m above sea level (surface) and has a maximum depth of about 400 m (~220 m below sea level). This flows into Lake Erie which has a surface at about 175 m but maximum depth of only about 65 m (~ 110 ABOVE sea level ) then a big drop into Lake Ontario at 74 m above sea level, which then winds down the St. Lawrence river until it gets to sea level at the Atlantic Ocean.

To extend this, lakes tend to sit above sea level, To do this in a program requires manually (or at least I haven't found a nice easy way...?) running the water level up to find areas that would "pool" and be contained when rivers run into them.

-Rob A>

loogie
03-31-2008, 11:23 PM
ravells.. u sir are clever.

landlocked lakes (i assume) are lakes with no rivers or any other means of water flowing to an ocean...

and yeah, thats why i try to stay away from terrain gens, they're much to random for me... i try to make my own as geographically sound as possible, and let programs like arcview do the rest...

i remember back in the day, i found some kind of work gen software that was amazing (from what i remember, and it was a long time ago, so it might not have been that good)... but from what i remember, it went through a planets birth... where it had its lava stage, cooling, continents were made, continental drift, rivers and lakes forming and so forth.. it even had climates, precipitation and a bunch of other stuff and it was all done in icons not fractal or bump mapping or anything... i played around with the shareware of it, but i was a kid so no money to buy it...

Gamerprinter
03-31-2008, 11:55 PM
Sure the Great Lakes have the St. Lawrence River to drain it and many lakes are the sources of rivers, however some lakes or inland seas are where the rivers flow to and only evaporate or fill the lake.

Think of Lake Baikal, Aral Sea, the Caspian Sea, even the Dead Sea. Not all waters flow to the sea.

I'm not countering the arguement that FT like most terrain generators have all water at sea level only is the real problem - just making a point.

DarkOne
04-01-2008, 12:28 AM
I am out for this round of land grabs. I would to focus as much of my time to my 3D planet generation. Hopefully it won't produce those sea level land locked seas and lakes.

su_liam
04-01-2008, 01:39 AM
I'm kind of tempted by 19 or 25, but I don't know what I'd do with it other than name it the Coriander Coast. Probably 19. I see a Sanctuary Bay and a possible Cordillera Barrera in there.

Torq
04-01-2008, 02:31 AM
Here's what the land grab looks like so far:

Ravs: 12
Neonknight: 6
Redrobes: 7 (looks a bit more interesting than 11)
su liam:19 (Love the name "coriander coast")
Torq: 13 (seems like a good idea for continuity purposes looking forward)

They are absolutely flying off the shelves.

Anyone who wants to get involved please jump in. There are still plenty of areas available.

Ravs, maybe be you could change your sig to give this thread a punt, after all the competition must be almost over now?

I will post a map showing graphically what has been chosen later today. Hopefully there will be some more takers before then.

Torq

Gamerprinter
04-01-2008, 02:47 AM
Even though I'm really busy these days, I think I'll toss my hat for Region 9, I see a Russian/slavic influenced inland naval power, perhaps facing a Tartar or other steppeland cavalry invader force threatening from the east.

Like I said, I'm super busy, so I'll probably get this done in spurts.

Torq
04-01-2008, 03:14 AM
Cool GP, 9 is yours. Great to have you on board. As regards time pressure, there is none. do the map in your own time.

Great ideas about the inland sea power too.

Torq

Venardhi
04-01-2008, 07:01 AM
So, I'm a bit confused here, what exactly goes down in this 'Thinking Big' hubub? Do we essentially just map that area and create for it some semblance of civilization?

I'd be interested, depending on exactly what the goal is here, to take 18(with 17 and 23 just to nab the rest of the peninsula and not leave them a-lonely)

Torq
04-01-2008, 07:32 AM
Hi Venardhi

The idea is eventually to map an entire rpg world, thats the "thinking big" idea, but thats the future. At the moment we have isolated a local region of a world so that we can collaboratively map it, using our own styles but maintaining continuity of features based on the map at the top of the thread.

After this stage there will be options to map either the unmapped regional areas, or to zoom in and to begin mapping on a more local scale things that appear in existing maps, not necessarily ones that you did.

Welcome on board, 18 is yours. It seems logical to include 17 and 23 too, as these dont have much land. Whenmapping you will need to collaborate with those mapping neighbouring plots, which at this stage inlcudes su liam and myself, so that things like roads and rivers meet up in the right places. Please see Neonknight's river map of the region also inthis thread.

Torq

Venardhi
04-01-2008, 07:49 AM
Sounds good, and is there a higher resolution version of the map out there or can I somewhat fudge the coastline?

Torq
04-01-2008, 08:08 AM
Neon posted the Fractal Terrains file in the thread "thinking big about guild maps". If you have FT you can get it straight from the horse's mouth as it were. If not dont worry about a bit of fudging. Try and keep to the shape as much as possible though.

Torq

Torq
04-01-2008, 08:11 AM
So we dont end up creating a whole lot of small, square, self-contained kingdoms, does anyone have any general cultural ideas, regional histories or other stuff of a general nature that jumps out at them from the map. We are not writing backstory but a few things might help with continuity between the maps.

Torq

Redrobes
04-01-2008, 08:17 AM
...running the water level up to find areas that would "pool" and be contained when rivers run into them.
I have done a demo of this in the past - this one is filling it up to a predetermined height though if set slightly differently to keep going it would overflow and cut an erosion channel and drain it out. The other prog I know can do it is GeoControl. I expect there are others tho.

On the terrain front, I will probably slightly modify the coastline. We don't have a depth below sea (bathymetry) which I will be manually making otherwise my sea will evaporate (!???) and this is likely to alter the coast slightly.

Venardhi
04-01-2008, 09:07 AM
So we dont end up creating a whole lot of small, square, self-contained kingdoms, does anyone have any general cultural ideas, regional histories or other stuff of a general nature that jumps out at them from the map. We are not writing backstory but a few things might help with continuity between the maps.

Torq
Perhaps just breaking it into countries/kingdoms/whatnot and then allowing those groups to talk amongst themselves as far as where they would like to see their countries go.

I threw something together (just because I'm silly like that) though:

I imagine the northern territories(Brinsmerd and Lingemerd on my map) would be expectantly miserable and claimed mostly out of spite for the others rather than for viable farmland. A strong people, but wary, defensive and suspicious, cautious to take any gambles that might threaten what little they have. The richest would be those on the west(Shegral and Akron), the stronger militarily but oft bickering amongst themselves for their rich and fertile lands, grown more and more prone to high culture and swaggering. Saber rattling and not much more. The coastal regions(Orvaelos and Bruskos) would be wealthy, but not as strong as the western powers, relying mostly on their more advanced industry and the highly prosperous civilian trade fleets(as well as a strong military showing at the borders and on sea) to keep would-be land-grabbers at bay. Inland would be the poorer lands(mostly Groam, thanks to mountains protecting Orvaelos and much of the Brinsmerd border), threatened by an ever-growing sickness upon the land and the creatures and people upon it. Much military might is spent simply keeping it at bay, the only consolation being that no one much wants the responsibility of containing it so they don't have to watch their backs. Naturally this breeds a hard and bitter people, the strongest in the land to hear them tell of it.

terrainmonkey
04-01-2008, 09:59 AM
i'll take number 5. i'm seeing a dwarven stronghold in the mountains, and human settlements in the valleys, precious metals maybe, and perhaps a combined human dwarf city where a lot of trading goes on.

let me know if this is acceptable to all. i'll take 4 and 5 if we can have more than one zone.

Torq
04-01-2008, 11:49 AM
Cool Terrainmonkey, 5 is yours. If you dont mind maybe we can wait to see how this gets picked up before you take 4 as well. It is a very viable mapping region and someone might like it. I personally dont have any objections to you taking 5 too on the other hand. I suppose anyone who has an objection can always raise it on this thread. We can always open up more blocks if interest is high. Maybe start with 4 and if we hear nothing in a day or so take 4 too. Great to have you onboard.

Venardhi, I love your stuff. Thats just what I had in mind in terms of some general ideas. I dont know what everyone else thinks, but my area is completely withinin Groam to me now, and I'm now thinking in Groam terms, plague creeping from the East, man I cant wait to start.

Torq

Torq
04-01-2008, 01:52 PM
Here is a map showing the areas that have been picked for mapping. If you haven't yet chosen one now is your chance. Dont be shy, just becasue you're new around here, I assure you you will enjoy the experience.

Torq

NeonKnight
04-01-2008, 01:54 PM
Here is a map showing the areas that have been picked for mapping. If you haven't yet chosen one now is your chance. Dont be shy, just becasue you're new around here, I assure you you will enjoy the experience.

Torq

You forgot my areas 21, 22, and 24 ;)

terrainmonkey
04-01-2008, 02:09 PM
Cool Terrainmonkey, 5 is yours. If you dont mind maybe we can wait to see how this gets picked up before you take 4 as well. It is a very viable mapping region and someone might like it. I personally dont have any objections to you taking 5 too on the other hand. I suppose anyone who has an objection can always raise it on this thread. We can always open up more blocks if interest is high. Maybe start with 4 and if we hear nothing in a day or so take 4 too. Great to have you onboard.

Venardhi, I love your stuff. Thats just what I had in mind in terms of some general ideas. I dont know what everyone else thinks, but my area is completely withinin Groam to me now, and I'm now thinking in Groam terms, plague creeping from the East, man I cant wait to start.

Torq

actually, i'll jsut take area 5. i've started on both but i can do a single area. are we starting individual threads for each one? let me know. also, i don't know how much i can get done, working on other things right now, but after this weekend, i'll be able to spend more time.

another question remains, are we all using the same style? or is this one of those projects where we form a mosaic of individual interpretations. let me know. i'd be happy to try anything new.

final question: is someone thinking about a history, background of races, and gods or are we just doing maps here without regard to how certain people got there in a grand history sort of way? i wouldn't mind doing that, but it will take a bit more time if i'm working on both.

NeonKnight
04-01-2008, 02:16 PM
actually, i'll jsut take area 5. i've started on both but i can do a single area. are we starting individual threads for each one? let me know. also, i don't know how much i can get done, working on other things right now, but after this weekend, i'll be able to spend more time.

another question remains, are we all using the same style? or is this one of those projects where we form a mosaic of individual interpretations. let me know. i'd be happy to try anything new.

final question: is someone thinking about a history, background of races, and gods or are we just doing maps here without regard to how certain people got there in a grand history sort of way? i wouldn't mind doing that, but it will take a bit more time if i'm working on both.

We are doing individual styles, as I would not want to try and map in HandsomeRob's style and Other's may not want to map in my CC3 style.

This a project to show that we as a dissimilar group of mappers can make a cohesive world.

hans_worst
04-01-2008, 03:12 PM
is there a deadline for this part of the mapping proces? How good should you be to to join this project? It's sounds fun to me, but my mapping skills are still zero.

ravells
04-01-2008, 03:48 PM
As far as I know there is no deadline and it doesn't matter what your mapping skills are. Jump right in and have a go!

Baziron
04-01-2008, 04:36 PM
If both deadline and mapping skill are not to matter (too much, at least), I'll take #16.

Might be an Island Kingdom, or two? Depends on how I decide their connection to the rest of the world was/is... being this far separated from the main country certainly has its effects.

alucard339
04-01-2008, 04:40 PM
Of course, I never like to be left outside of the fun stuff so still count me in.

I'm not sure between those 2 options: either gives me the last part to make it challenging or if I have to chose, it will be either 1 or 25. I'm looking forward to do a desolate land: either a death vale govern by undead or a border land with the evil kingdom land just beside it ...

So many ideas and projects. hi hi hi ...

I think a tyrant-like kingdom would be fun to create too :).

Take care all and C-U at the drawing table,
Alu.

Torq
04-01-2008, 05:26 PM
Terrainmonkey and hans_worst I second what Ravs and Neon have said.

Baziron and Alucard great to have you onboard. Have a look around the map, see who your neighbours are and discuss shared features with them just so everyone understand what those near them have in mind. Alucard, which is it going to be?

Terrainmaonkey, we havn't got a mastermind working on backstory, races, history cultures etc. and I dont think thats the aim here. We want the process to be a bit more organic although thematic suggestions are great to spark something in the mind of the individual mappers, as has been done in this thread by Venardhi.

Neon you got thpse areas man, although I think closer inspectin will reveal thousands of tiny atolls and island chains that require intricate mapping.

Torq

hans_worst
04-01-2008, 06:05 PM
As far as I know there is no deadline and it doesn't matter what your mapping skills are. Jump right in and have a go!

I'll take the rich, untouched by the plague, western part of the coastal nation: Arkon (Number 11.) We could make a nice split in the nation. The western part ignoring the cries for help and horrible stories about the plague for the east. While the east (ravells part), which is closer to the trouble, is gathering more and more troops to deal with the problems on their eastern border. The western power see their change to increase their power in the country.

Without a background no map, right?

Torq
04-01-2008, 06:22 PM
Spare a thought for the Groamings who live most of their lives under the constant spectre of the plague and have even built great barrier walls and fortresses along their Eastern frontiers in a vain attempt to keep it out.

But those frontiers are long overrun by the unclean and unwanted who even now gaze ever Westward from those dark musty towers and seek the clean air and water of the plains and the healing sea air beyond.

Torq

Kagehito
04-01-2008, 10:58 PM
damn.. i go to a con, and everything is taken...

Ok I'll go with 15!

Got to have someone covering the plauge touched lands of death.

Torq
04-02-2008, 01:29 AM
Welcome Kagehito, great to have you on board the project. 15 is yours.

To answer some of you questions on the other thread:

Stylstically you have a free rein but will need to use the basic map provided. There is as yet no entrenched backstory, but I really like your historical overview becasue it gels with mine (i'm 13). We still need someone to do 14 though, but interest seems to be growing quickly so I dont think we'll have a problem. the plague seems to be moving Westwards from you to me, so if you have anymore ideas that may impact on what I do in 13 let me know. I hvan't started mapping yet, but its coming together in my head.

Torq

Torq
04-02-2008, 01:40 AM
Here's how the landgrab is looking so far. I just want to take a moment to thank all those that have supported this project so far. The level of enthusiasm and teamwork has already been awesome and I'm sure it will continue to grow.

Torq

NeonKnight
04-02-2008, 01:42 AM
I have repped TORQ for all his work on this project and taking on the unofficial mantel of leadership!

Well done Sir. Well Done indeed

NeonKnight
04-02-2008, 01:54 AM
My thoughts on the racial groups (as I view them as that more-so than individual nations).

SHERGAL: The Shergal peoples would closely resemble the Norse cultures, both in physical looks as well as cultural views. The Harsh northern regions and rugged coastlines would be reflected in their world views.

AKRON: These peoples would be like the Western Germanic peoples Mixed with the Spanish and some Mediteranian like the Greeks, Minoans and such.

ORVAELOS: I see these peoples as closely resembling the Arabian Cultures. Think Sinbad, and Ali Babba and the rest.

LINGEMERD: Here we have the Slavick peoples of the Russian Steppes.

BRINSMERD: The Mongols of our World. A harsh land of steppes, scrubland, vast forrests and harsh living.

GROAM: A dying people, in the midst of the plague lands, they are fast losing their cultural identity as they forsake their current beliefs searching for an explanation to the crisis besetting them.

THOUGHTS?

Venardhi
04-02-2008, 02:43 AM
I was leaning somewhat in that direction, something of a hybrid Arabic/Renaissance Medeteranian for my area. With some more rustic rough-and-tumble folks in the mountains, leftovers of a vast but forgotten ancient (elven? dwarven? x?)empire, that leave well enough alone and are content with their hidden cities carved into the living rock. These peoples would be more like the early Ottomans if they had never advanced past the middle ages and having lost a good part of the 'civilized' part of their civilization, with the newcomers having inherited much of their leftover culture and twisted it to suit them. The lands very nearest the mountains would be occasionally raided by these remnant tribes, but local (well armed) militias and fear of military reprisals would mostly keep them at bay.

Torq
04-02-2008, 02:43 AM
Thanks for the rep Neon, much appreciated.

I agree with the divide into peoples rather than strict kingdom territory divides. My focus is the Groamings because my area is completely in my area. I love your suggestions for them. I think the plague and avoiding it has become so endemic to their way of life, that it infuses everything. Cults have sprung up obesessed with illness as well as many doomsday cults. Many groamings have left fleeing the devastation of their own lands. Vestiges of an economy remain in the Western areas though.

Torq

Airith
04-02-2008, 03:53 AM
When I get around to not lazing about, I'll scan that area for a place, and maybe actually get something done :)
This is looking awesome so far, gj to all

Clercon
04-02-2008, 05:53 AM
OK I go for nr 8 as it seems no one is interested in this litle area of splendidness. This should be fun....I hope.

Torq
04-02-2008, 07:37 AM
Welcome on board Clercon, 8 is yours. Good to have you and nice to fill in that block too.

Torq

Venardhi
04-02-2008, 08:27 AM
I'm going to up and say that now I'm actually in photoshop and messing with this I'm going to want to make a few modifications to the coastlines, lakes and rivers, mountains, etc. The randomly generated map is good for a base, but it just doesn't feel right to me. Could be just because I'm working from a tiny image and had to up-rez it myself, which means it probably isn't very accurate in any case, but either way I need to be happy with what I'm working on, I think that is pretty much the only way I'll be able to keep my head in this.

As long as everything lines up with my neighbors, am I a-okay as far as ya'll concerned?

NeonKnight
04-02-2008, 08:28 AM
SO, BIG question before we get tooo far in our mapping efforts. There is a Great Tutorial for Fractal Terrains (Redrobes did not do it, but links it here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1753)

So, do we want to 'play' with our glob for a few moments, perhaps adjust them inland seas and stuff and then go forward?

Torq
04-02-2008, 08:42 AM
My view is that we can make adjustments in our maps rather then adjusting the globe using FT. My reason for saying this is that unless you actually have FT and can produce your regional outline and bump map at high enough res to use it directly, you are going to be doing some fudging anyway. Most people (like Venardhi and I) dont have FT and wil be using lower res images which we will have extrapolate into large maps by cheating or by just plain old manual copying. I'm not sure how anybody else feels though.

Torq

terrainmonkey
04-02-2008, 10:13 AM
yeah, i'm fudging a few things myself. don't really have a coastline to deal with, just hills and mountains.

also, are we settling on a scale yet or is it "do what feels right"?

and since when did these plague victims start showing up on our lands? ;)

Clercon
04-02-2008, 04:23 PM
OK so I had some time to sit down and just draw out my piece of land. Just water and land so far. But I thought I put it up here for my neighbors to see (so they can match my borders).
Anyway how are we going to do this? Just put everything in this thread or start one thread per map?

Torq
04-02-2008, 04:57 PM
Hi Clercon

Nice start. I think we should have a new thread for every map. If we want to give info regarding features that overlap into other threads we should probably post in those threads (when they are up).

Here is the latest landgrab status map.

Torq

Kagehito
04-02-2008, 05:15 PM
yes for the plauge lands... we can say that it was pretty much self contained untill recently, the wild animals infected with the plauge have began to run out of food. So they start attacking the surroundig settlements, mabye only killing cattle, and attacking one person or so, but the people who get attacked get infected, and then it spreads across the whole community.

I'm playing off the fact that the sickness works quickly now, since its had some time to mutate.

A gestaiton period of about 1-3 days and the sickness itself after shows kills about a week later.

Because this plauge has been spreading primarily from the infected animals (which it doesn't kill, only makes them more feral), then the surrounding areas could have constructed walls and hire trappers to help keep the animals from entering there realms and infecting them.

I would like the surrounding people to get in on a disscussion about this, because this will effect the surrounding areas greatly.
Everything written thus far is all just speculation and can change on a whim, so get your opinions in now before things get to imbedded.

-Rob

Also Torq... you misspelt my name on the land grab map... *cries*.... but you still get props for taking controll of this!

alucard339
04-02-2008, 08:32 PM
Sry for the delay;
I'll take #1.

C-U hall,
Alu.

DarkOne
04-03-2008, 12:36 AM
Should create a forum for this project, it is going to be big in the end. Have a sticky of completed maps with link to thread for the map. Come up with a world name for the forum title too.

Venardhi
04-03-2008, 12:41 AM
I would tend to agree.

su_liam
04-03-2008, 01:18 AM
I'd suggest Slartibartfast Project, but I'm keeping that for myself... oops.

NeonKnight
04-03-2008, 01:23 AM
Ahhh, World names. I like simplistic names.

Lets look to what we call out world: EARTH. Named because of the land, the ground the earth on which we stand.

The World of Greyhawk is named Oerth as slight variation of our own world.

The world of Faerun and the Forgotten Realms is known as Abeir-Toril or sometimes just Toril, meaning 'Cradle of Life'

I have just finished reading the entire World War/Colonization (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tosev_timeline) series by Harry Turtledove (a great read, and I highly recommend it). In the books, the home planet of the aliens is known simply as Home, and our planet is called Tosev III (as Earth orbits the Star Tosev in their language/astronomy). Other planets in the Races empire is Hallasi and Rabotev.

So, funny names aside, I believe a planet name should sound realistic and have some sort of Meaning (like Earth/Oerth, Abeir-Toril, or Home).

Venardhi
04-03-2008, 01:35 AM
Perhaps a poll of participants is in order once we fill the grid? Even just to name the continent/'kingdom' and then down the line when it can truely be called a world and not just a corner of one, we can give her a name.

Kagehito
04-03-2008, 02:01 AM
We could use a generic term, like Gaia, Gaea, Geo, or Terra for example.

Or, some thing simple along the lines of Aigir, Tolos, Finear, or anything that has mostly soft consonents with variable combinations of double vowels.

That leads to simple words that are still unique sounding, without going to overboard.

Also if we take both one and two, we can use tha cliche terms and change them slightly to create things like; Tierra, Gairan, Erenith, Geois, Gianu, etc.

Whatever we chose, it has to be something that is short and rolls of the tounge, because even if its going to be called Rinthnorgmehrgocklugsomin, people would end up calling it Rinth.

(PS, thats actually a place in my world map; funny story... when the Gnomish Kings; Rinth, Norg, Mehrg, Ockslug, and Somin joined there kingdoms, after a 10 year debate on what to call the new kingdom, it became that... they had to draw straws to see whos names whould go in what order of course...)

Venardhi
04-03-2008, 02:26 AM
Well, if we work of other names for earth, lets look a bit off the map from the generic Terra/Gaia/Earth

Tellus, Erde, Ina Maka, Jorda, Era, Erdaz, Orthe, etc. are all names once (and still for some) used for the Earth in various cultures.

Perhaps combine a couple of them: Jinde, Ordas, Jorth, Inas, Jorus, Inthe, Elluth, etc.

Plenty of possibilities, the only question is how to get everyone to agree.

NeonKnight
04-03-2008, 02:51 AM
Well, if we work of other names for earth, lets look a bit off the map from the generic Terra/Gaia/Earth

Tellus, Erde, Ina Maka, Jorda, Era, Erdaz, Orthe, etc. are all names once (and still for some) used for the Earth in various cultures.

Perhaps combine a couple of them: Jinde, Ordas, Jorth, Inas, Jorus, Inthe, Elluth, etc.

I am up for ANYTHING except TELLUS. I work for a Phone Company called TELUS and I hate them ;)

So, no TELLUS.

PS Sorry for editing your Message, Hit the wrong button ;)

Venardhi
04-03-2008, 03:43 AM
Well then, I think I will officially nominate 'Tarisch' then. A solid but still somewhat androgynous name. And very 'earthy' in the sense that it feels like the sort of name one would give a kind of rock, or tree, or mountain.

Airith
04-03-2008, 03:57 AM
Tarich, Taris, Tarec... I dunno, the sch part is strange to me :D
Agreed on the Telus part, I laughed a lil upon seeing that.

Put me down for 20, it'll take me a while as I'm still learning, but hopefully being a part of something that has a 'need' to get done will get me going.

A new forum would be the best idea, General Discussion is going to be very cluttered if we all post here.

ravells
04-03-2008, 05:03 AM
I think a new forum is a good idea, I'll speak to Arcana about it.

Torq
04-03-2008, 06:16 AM
Excellent choice Airith, 20 is yours. Welcome to the project and great to have you.

I think I may have to number some of the blocks in the East, so that we have room for the countless others who want to get involved.

Torq

DarkOne
04-03-2008, 06:17 AM
OK, I decided to take a go at this when I can spare some time. Give me number 2. Development will be slow. I going to use Gimp using RobA how-to, just because it makes nice looking maps.

Torq
04-03-2008, 06:30 AM
Great Darkone!

Excellent to have you in the project. You have 2. You can do a lot worse than using RobA's tut to produce a map. Good luck, and dont be shy to ask the other people in the this project if you need any help.

Torq

hans_worst
04-03-2008, 09:30 AM

I like the names of the old continents:
Pangea (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pangea)
Gondwana (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gondwana)
Panthalassa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panthalassa)
Laurasia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurasia)

Torq
04-03-2008, 10:32 AM
One way would be to do another poll. Everyone chooses their favourite name for the planet and we get members to vote. I'm not sure if it will come to that, but if necessary I think its a good option.

Torq

DarkOne
04-03-2008, 11:16 AM
Hehe, here is my name: Orgaia

Redrobes
04-03-2008, 01:52 PM
I don't care about which exact name we pick but heres a few thoughts following Neons excellent post...

We should check that the name is not trademarked in general,
and is not something extremely common to some people,
and is not rude or offensive in any language.

Also if its somebody elses RPG world then thats out and if that person is a company then its right out and if that company is successful enough to hire lawyers then I'm outta here :)

I.e. lets run it by google and find something that does not generate many hits.

Also, we should pick a world name and region name covering the 20 or so tiles. Some of the larger seas shared across many tiles might be good at this point too.

Assuming the names pass the uniqueness rules, I would suggest as soon as a several people like any name then just go with it or shortlist it for a poll.

su_liam
04-03-2008, 02:01 PM
Not a great choice Dark One. "Orgaia" is the Orvaelen word for the culmination of the physical act of love. Adolescents throughout Orvaelos giggle hysterically and blush when they hear that name.

By the way, while I really like an Arabic background for the Coriander Coast(it's pretty much required), looking at the big global map makes me think this area is a little too northerly for that. With my recent inspiration for "English" village names(Twitbollocks, Bushhollow, Billibottom), I'm considering a Shire theme for my section. Will this world have anything like Hobbits(Stoutlings, perhaps?)?

Perhaps in the dim past this are was ruled by some formerly great empire to the south(kind of equivalent to the Ottomans or the Romans... or Tolkein's elves) this would provide the kind of unifying language of general place names. I'm sure every major culture has it's own name for the world and most of it's features. So I might might label something in my map Little Hockspit River(Ladu Hakospiet) or Winsome Bay(Taga Winsiem). My Stoutlings tend to alter the Old One names for sound and poetry without much regard for meaning.

Airith
04-03-2008, 02:10 PM
I got a good chuckle out of that su_liam, you learn something new everyday :) and from DarkOne's "hehe" I think he might of known :o

Since coming up with a name might be hard, we could just call our project 'The Cartograph.' We need that new section, all these threads and polls are going to come out of everywhere soon.

su_liam
04-03-2008, 02:15 PM
That's one of the things I like about these cooperative ventures. Even silly little things thrown out in conversation can come back to hauntxxxxx inspire someone.

Airith
04-03-2008, 02:28 PM
Ok, I'm guessing that each square is supposed to be 600x600 right?

I've blown up my square, with some of the area around it to that measurement. Also, we're using the rivers that are on the first page right? I's hard to get the same area because they're 2 different sized pictures.

DarkOne
04-03-2008, 03:07 PM
Now that is a good laugh Orgaia is some sexual act in some obscure language.

All I did was take Gaia and prepend Or to the front.

Oh well my attempt just flew out the door.

hans_worst
04-03-2008, 03:19 PM
haha, well in Orvaelen there are many words that mean more or less the same. Especially in this case. But it's nice to see that I'm not the only person here that speaks it.

@su_liam: Maecutnas vulputote DarkOne lutpuss dioti. Ut Su Liam. ;-)

su_liam
04-03-2008, 03:25 PM
A really nice touch by those with FT might be to create data images for those without. Perhaps in 4096-pixel scale. HF, land mask, river mask, climate(precip and temp, maybe veg), possibly in Lambert Azimuthal Equal Area like the HandsomeRob maps. Is FT scriptable? If so, this could be done in batch late at night.

Me? I'm cool with trying to scale the existing images up and interpolating willy-nilly.

My region is technically part of Orvaelos, and the humans are part of the Orvaelan culture for the most part, but the Shire(For want of a name. I'd like something pastoral. I've considered The Paddock, but that might be considered egotistical)is a somewhat separate culture. Stoutlings don't appreciate sea travel all that much(they prefer to walk on their own hairy feet, when possible)so the coastal fishing towns are largely Orvaelan. The higher mountains are mostly dwarven land, and an upstanding Stoutling gentleman doesn't mix with that sort. So the "Shire" is largely settled in the flatlands and low hills between the sea and the forbidding Landshield Range to the east.

@hans_worst: Avas, Hano! Mae loqui sed parvuss Orvaeli. Loquae to Lingoa Vulgara?

Baziron
04-03-2008, 03:34 PM
Actually, depending on the planets history up to now, it would also be sensible that a more obscure name is picked. Like... Gillenval, for example, maybe as an abbreviated version of a longer word which once was the name of paradise for the alldominant culture. The culture has faded, but the name lives on. Maybe that name also means nothing else but "Best place to live in, yo!" :-D

ravells
04-03-2008, 03:50 PM
New forum on the way, Torq.

It's great to have ideas, but having ideas by committee can bog the project down as every detail is discussed. I suggest you just take a view on the subjects currently under discussion and spell it out for us so we can get started.

Cheers

Ravs

su_liam
04-03-2008, 03:52 PM
Or, like too many open source projects, we could just fork it to perdition. This is a little early for that, but...

Torq
04-03-2008, 04:07 PM
For those that like keeping score of these sorts of things, here is the area coverage map so far. I've added in further numbers because I have a sneaking suspicion that some of our colleagues are going to want to join up. We may even have to go to a new regional map.

I realised I've done a whole lot of talking and thinking but no mapping so far. I hope to remedy that and at least get a start this weekend.

What exactly are the issues that need deciding on?

World Name
Region/Continent Name

Anything else?

Torq

hans_worst
04-03-2008, 04:16 PM
How do we deal with a place that would like on your map (like a piece of coast) but is on a part of some one else?

How we deal with rivers we don't like etc. etc.

There should be clarity for things like that.

@su_liam: Avas! Est, Ou Liam uo Su Liamo? Mae loqui ausi sed parvuss Lingoa Vulgara. Tresa archaismen e vulgarismen, ai ai ai...

Torq
04-03-2008, 05:04 PM
"How do we deal with a place that would like on your map (like a piece of coast) but is on a part of some one else?"

If its on someone else's map its hands off. You cant do anything that will affect the map of a neighbour without getting their agreement.

"How we deal with rivers we don't like etc. etc."

Same answer really. If its a river that flows into someone else's territory they will be expecting it to be incorporated. Unless you agree with them the river will have to stay.

This is where the collaboration comes in. You can agree with your neighbours to change things that affect you both, but if you dont you have to abide by what is on the maps. If you want to make a change that only affects your area then feel free to do it.

Hope that makes it clearer.

Torq

delgondahntelius
04-03-2008, 05:08 PM
I'll take 28 and 29 then... guess I should have been paying more attention ... almost missed out completely

delgondahntelius
04-03-2008, 05:17 PM
This seems to have taken off in a big way, perhaps the admins might consider making a completely new topic in the main forum for it... in the mapmaking section would probably work.... just a suggestion.. :D

Airith
04-03-2008, 05:50 PM
This seems to have taken off in a big way, perhaps the admins might consider making a completely new topic in the main forum for it... in the mapmaking section would probably work.... just a suggestion.. :D

Apparently they're working on that :)

Also, since you picked the place beside mine, we have 2 (3 really, but 2 of them merged) rivers that go across, how would you like to do that? And do you want to do that in PM's or just post away in this thread8)

Torq
04-03-2008, 06:10 PM
Sure Del, welcome on board. 28 and 29 are all your. Nice coastal area to develop. Have a look at whats been said about the cultures in the Western section of the map. Your crew will be pretty isolated from that so will in all likelihood be a completely different culture. Also the plague lands (an idea that seems to have stuck) are in the middle and will definately affect you.

Torq

NeonKnight
04-03-2008, 08:26 PM
Ok, I'm guessing that each square is supposed to be 600x600 right?

I've blown up my square, with some of the area around it to that measurement. Also, we're using the rivers that are on the first page right? I's hard to get the same area because they're 2 different sized pictures.

Not quite.

As I said, because of the Sphere-Flat conversion the area depicted is:

They aren't 'quite' 600x600. Remeber, because of the 'flattening' of a sphere, the north/south distance is the same but the 'top' of the image 1350 miles east west, bottom is 2616 miles east west, so the top's total east/west is almost 50% of the same distance as on the bottom.

NeonKnight
04-03-2008, 08:31 PM
Alucard, That little 'sliver' of land that projects down from your region into mine, I have no problem if you wish to map that out. Seems logical it would likely be part of some nation in your end.

DarkOne
04-03-2008, 11:55 PM
I got thinking when I read some posts referring to neighbour areas. Maybe the area that has the majority of a feature that crosses over a boundary should give it a name and any special characteristics to the feature. Features could be a lake, inland sea, mountain range, swamp, etc. Where rivers cross an area boundary they are left there at the point of crossing, though the rest of the river may be altered as needed within the area.

PS: Thanx for creating a separate forum for this project.

I be going away this weekend so there will be no progress from me for now, also have a major deadline in a programming project next week.

Midgardsormr
04-04-2008, 01:56 AM
I just can't stand seeing that hole in the middle of the map. Has anyone laid claim to #14 yet? If not, I'll take it. I'll need some input from my neighbors: GP, Kagehito, Airith, Su_Liam, Venardhi, Torq, and Clercon. What notions do you guys have so far, and what can I do in my area to reinforce them?

Torq
04-04-2008, 02:17 AM
Of course you can have 14 Mid. I was wondering when somebody'e sense of proportion would become so offended that they would feel the need to fill the gap.

My region (13) is called Groam. Its people were historically rather independent without much in the way of strategic or political alliances with other nations. Its a culture that in ages past grew wealthy as a result of rich silver deposits in its mountainous Eastern regions. But the silver ran out and the plague came, out of the East, carried by streams of a refugees. Huge barrier walls were erected to control the influx, and a special military order known as the Grey Watch (named for the greay skin blotches that mark the bodies of plague sufferes). The watch had an uneviable job, as Groam's frontiers retreated Westward behind them, but still rumours of atrocities began to reach the ears of the city dwellers in the cities. The watch became notorious and secretive. Several more walls followed as civilisation retreated Westwards to escape the scourge of the plague. Many doomsday cults sprang up togther with alternative religions fiaxted upon the plague and its significance. the plague sufferers themselves began to occupy large settlements abandoned in this way.

Today the walls are crumbling ruins and the plague had reached well beyond them. The migration has resulted in the few cities in the West swelling way beyond capacity. Poverty and crime are rife in those cities. The poor and indigent are preyed on by unscrupulous cults and scheming politicos. And everywhere there is fear of the dreaded plague.

I'm still working on the rest in my head.

Torq

Midgardsormr
04-04-2008, 02:29 AM
Fun! That's leaving me with a lot of ruined cities and fortresses on the western portion of the map, and a bit of post-apocalyptic stuff as I move east. I'm thinking there are a few mountain enclaves of healthy people who have learned to cope and might even have developed high rates of resistance to the plague, but they're cut off from the rest of civilization by ravenous plague-mad animals.

I think I'm going to try out that Bryce tutorial graciously provided by Anna. I've got some ideas about how to inject my own style into it.

Do we yet have any idea how long ago the plague first appeared and how long it's been since it started spreading out of control?

Airith
04-04-2008, 04:11 AM
I just can't stand seeing that hole in the middle of the map. Has anyone laid claim to #14 yet? If not, I'll take it. I'll need some input from my neighbors: GP, Kagehito, Airith, Su_Liam, Venardhi, Torq, and Clercon. What notions do you guys have so far, and what can I do in my area to reinforce them?

My northwest corner is really mountainous looking and I doubt that there will be many settlements at all there. I'm also trying to avoid my northern section, apparently it's all plagued and stuff... :o

DarkOne
04-04-2008, 07:18 AM
Give me map 3 too. Looking at the this map, I can form a kingdom that stretches from map 1 to 3. By nipping very top piece of land on map 6 (NeonKights), and pieces of land above the inlands seas of map 7 (Redrobes) and map 8 (Clercon) to form the southern boundary that includes the highlands in SE part of map 3. Eastern boundary would include the valley in between the two high lands of the E of map 3. The northern boundary can be defined later, though probably undefined as it wood become tundra.

I feel better is I work on a whole kingdom concept than a part of it, so the reason for requesting map 3 too. Alucard and myself will be designing this kingdom together.

Torq
04-04-2008, 08:45 AM
Give me map 3 too. Looking at the this map, I can form a kingdom that stretches from map 1 to 3. By nipping very top piece of land on map 6 (NeonKights), and pieces of land above the inlands seas of map 7 (Redrobes) and map 8 (Clercon) to form the southern boundary that includes the highlands in SE part of map 3. Eastern boundary would include the valley in between the two high lands of the E of map 3. The northern boundary can be defined later, though probably undefined as it wood become tundra.

I feel better is I work on a whole kingdom concept than a part of it, so the reason for requesting map 3 too. Alucard and myself will be designing this kingdom together.

Sure Darkone. 3 is yours. Sounds like a good idea for you and Alucard to work together, mmmm I'm sensing undead in our future. Will their be snow and ice too, bearing in mind how far North you are?

Torq

DarkOne
04-04-2008, 10:19 AM
Here is a map of the proposed kingdom. Every north of the black line is the kingdom. The dotted line on the east side is a proposal, and will define it more accurate later. Like to see what happens in map 5 and map 4 first. The dotted line that runs in map 6 and map 7 is an alternative south border of the kingdom depending on what Neon and Redrobes have to say about it.

Alucard and myself have already decided to create a single extra map of the whole kingdom, which will also help us create the maps 1-3. Also be trying our best to keep the styles as similar as possible.

Red lines are just border ideas I had when I saw the map the first time.

DarkOne
04-04-2008, 10:58 AM
Is it possible to get latitudes and longitudes for the maps. It will help with the scaling and distances between places of interest especially for the northern maps where distances between longitudes decreases rapidly.

I see 5 and 26 are high in the mountains and covered with ice and snow. Area 4 looks like it is hilly mountainous with large amount of snow. Northern bits of 2 and 3 would most likely be snow and ice in the mountain range which forms the boundary to the pack ice. Thus eastern boundary of kingdom once it hits the ice pack just heads directly north over the ice pack. It is not a fixed border either on the ice pack.

su_liam
04-04-2008, 12:03 PM
Three questions.

First. What is the projection of these maps? Would it be possible to get this in an equal-area cylindrical projection(Gall-Peters would do fine)? Actually, anything equal-area would be fine.

Second. Can we get maps in the same resolution and area coverage as the previous ones but without the ownership grid and numbers? Especially heightfields, but I'd really appreciate the river map in 780x636 covering the same extents as map1bump and map1.

Third. Would it be possible to create higher resolution images of the individual areas? I'd like mine in 4096x4096 in Lambert Azimuthal Equal Area projection. I can think of worse things than trying to emulate HandsomeRob's work. For instance, failing...

My major priority would have to be the second question. There's little enough HF to work with even without the big number in the middle. Also the rivers are pretty critical. Higher resolution and specific projections would be a real sweet extra, but hey!

EDIT: Oh yeah, 16-bit HFs. Definitely 16-bit HFs, please

delgondahntelius
04-04-2008, 12:08 PM
Torq.. thanks, evidently I've got some catching up to do ... to be honest, I kinda skipped ahead to find a spot before it was taken and I haven't completely read the entire thread.... apparently ... there are some rules/stipulations and I will go back and do my homework... been kinda busy lately, but this is at the top of my list...

Airith, as soon as I get my bearings I'll get back to you on that... probably in this thread unless PMs are easier...

Um... admins, i'm not all that familiar with vBulletin functions, but several other boards that I've admin'd had a function to allow a forum chatroom so that members that were online could chat live while posting and reading threads.... I think a chatroom would be most beneficial in respect to this project if it were at all possible to do so... just thought I'd throw that suggestion out there...

ok... off to see what in the nine hells is going on... :D

DarkOne
04-04-2008, 12:38 PM
I added a GoogleEarth view of Region 1 to the [Region 1] thread. It is the best I can do with current resolution map. I can't add any other level map else GoogleEarth crashes in a double crash on Linux.

DarkOne
04-04-2008, 01:29 PM
Here is a GoogleEarth view of the area of the proposed kingdom. The northern parts close to the ice pack will have very little urban centres due to the hardship of the cold region.

Terrainmonkey will most likely have a kingdom to occupy the remainder of the northern territory north of the huge mountain range and including the mountain range.

There might be a small kingdom in between the huge mountain range and eastern mountains of the North Western Kingdom in the large plateau valley surrounded by the mountain ranges in map 4. The area could be part of the North Western Kingdom. Creeping slightly into area 5.

Redrobes
04-04-2008, 02:06 PM
My major priority would have to be the second question. There's little enough HF to work with even without the big number in the middle. Also the rivers are pretty critical. Higher resolution and specific projections would be a real sweet extra, but hey!

EDIT: Oh yeah, 16-bit HFs. Definitely 16-bit HFs, pleaseYeah I am feeling just a touch frustrated with this too. Monks has very kindly uploaded a 64Mb file but I have not decoded it yet - I don't know if its suitable or not yet as it sounds different to the one that Ravs has been trying to get to me. As soon as I have HF data I will make it available. I can do HF2 or a pair of greyscale bitmaps but probably more too if I go and get Wilbur. We should not have started mapping until the HF and projection were sorted out which is going to be a nightmare to fix up later. Rivers & general terrain are never going to line up accurately given that the starting point was so inaccurate to start with. I won't start any mapping until I have it and if it means that it generates a different borders and rivers to my neighbors then that will just be unfortunate.

DarkOne
04-04-2008, 02:18 PM
I have to agree with Redrobes. Height maps are very important before mapping can start, especially when it comes to borders. I just giving rough borders for the North Western Kingdom, doing my best to see where a river may go or hill/mountain ridges are from the world maps we have.

Also if no one wants area 4 I can take it, as the distances per map gets very short at the northen boundaries. Gives me more terrain to work with even though little urban centres will be in the northen half of the top row of maps.

delgondahntelius
04-04-2008, 02:21 PM
Yeah I am feeling just a touch frustrated with this too. Monks has very kindly uploaded a 64Mb file but I have not decoded it yet - I don't know if its suitable or not yet as it sounds different to the one that Ravs has been trying to get to me. As soon as I have HF data I will make it available. I can do HF2 or a pair of greyscale bitmaps but probably more too if I go and get Wilbur. We should not have started mapping until the HF and projection were sorted out which is going to be a nightmare to fix up later. Rivers & general terrain are never going to line up accurately given that the starting point was so inaccurate to start with. I won't start any mapping until I have it and if it means that it generates a different borders and rivers to my neighbors then that will just be unfortunate.

Guess I'll hold off until we get some bugs worked out .... ya'll tell me when I can start mapping ... and I'll start mapping :D

Torq
04-04-2008, 02:52 PM
I think we are seeing different priorities which is natural and to be expected. If your style of mapping means you need an accurate heightfield and projection data so that you map meshes seamlessly with Neon's world map, then that works for you. I want to stress that that is not a requirement. Many of the mappers in this project are ignoring projection and inventing their own height maps and thats equally cool. Still others are using mapping styles that dont rely on height maps at all.

I think we need to make this clear, becasue noone should feel there is a right or wrong approach to this project.

Del, it a question of style, not a bug that needs to ironed out. Redrobes is adopting an approach to his map that is admirable and realies on accuracy. That is not a universal requirement. You start mapping when you need to start mapping.

Torq

Torq
04-04-2008, 03:03 PM
Here is the latest landgrab view. Nearly all the real estate is gone. When it is I think we can safely say we've got through the first satge successfully. Then it just remains to be seen what we produce.

Torq

Redrobes
04-04-2008, 04:14 PM
I have the World map in 16 bit :)

Here is a download of it as a pair of bitmaps. The 'minor' will only be useful to those people who can use 16bits. To get into 16bit take the major one, scale by 256 and add the minor one. I can try to provide a 16bit PNG if you like but I don't have anything to check it with. If you have a specific but common file format then let me know.

The ZIP (http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/Temp/CG/ThinkBig/World/World_height_16bit_bmp.zip)

Its about 50Mb so only download it if you need it. I will work on a color texture of it and I am hoping to get hold of the kingdom area in high res to convert too so we can each have a height map tile.

su_liam
04-04-2008, 05:03 PM
I'm trying to bone up on my java2d stuff. I'm not working on anything near as sophisticated as what you're doing(my attempt at implementing precipiton erosion was just sad), but I'm trying to find little learning projects to get my hand in. One of the projects I've been working on is a little app to convert 16-bit RG targas into 16-bit grayscale pngs or tifs. I recently found out landserf reads images as 32-bit RGBA so I've already added that to my goals. It looks like now I'll have to add separate bmp files.

By the way, thank you.

EDIT: Yes, please make a 16-bit png. Simplifies my life ginormously.

delgondahntelius
04-04-2008, 06:16 PM
Here is the latest landgrab view. Nearly all the real estate is gone. When it is I think we can safely say we've got through the first satge successfully. Then it just remains to be seen what we produce.

Torq

lol.. my name seems to be longer than 600 miles... Torq, feel free to use my shortened name "Del" ... :D

Redrobes
04-04-2008, 07:22 PM
Right with a 16 bit height map I have rendered it out at 8K x 4K. Thats a big file so be easy on my webspace :) But for people who are doing Google Earth or want a reasonably high res world map then this will do for now.

Color Map (http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/Temp/CG/ThinkBig/World/World_Color1.png)

Su-Liam, ill work on trying to get 16bit PNGs. I think ImageMagick Q16 will do that - you might have to test it for me tho. I'll prob do that tomorrow as I have to give a demo.... Del :)

Hoping that Monks can get me the region image as a 16bit file at high res.

delgondahntelius
04-04-2008, 07:28 PM
I repped Darkone and Neon for their hardwork in this project ... I tried to give Torq, Redrobes, and Rav some as well... but apparently I thought highly of their reputations enough for this period... you have my respect tho guys :D

RobA
04-04-2008, 09:43 PM
I'm trying to bone up on my java2d stuff. I'm not working on anything near as sophisticated as what you're doing(my attempt at implementing precipiton erosion was just sad), but I'm trying to find little learning projects to get my hand in. One of the projects I've been working on is a little app to convert 16-bit RG targas into 16-bit grayscale pngs or tifs. I recently found out landserf reads images as 32-bit RGBA so I've already added that to my goals. It looks like now I'll have to add separate bmp files.

By the way, thank you.

EDIT: Yes, please make a 16-bit png. Simplifies my life ginormously.

I believe Wilbur will allow you read in a fractint (RG-tga) and save it as a 16 bit png hf...(and vice versa...)

-Rob A>

Redrobes
04-05-2008, 05:24 PM
Yes, please make a 16-bit png. Simplifies my life ginormously.Mwahahahah I have it !!!

Thanks to Monks, a free terragen to tif converter, a few custom programs to get to raw and image magick to PNG16 we have what IM reckons to be png16 files.

I havent checked them and I know the scaling is not perfect but heres some links. Again - they are big so only get em if you have to - and I wouldnt rely on saving the file from your browser window, use its "save link as" option or else it might drop it from 16bit to 8bit.

World (http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/Temp/CG/ThinkBig/World/World_png16.png)
Region (http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/Temp/CG/ThinkBig/World/Region_png16.png)

Monks reckons that the Region range = -3607.4 to 8142.3 ft. I have scaled it so that it takes the full white range for maximum accuracy so you will have to adjust accordingly. And I have clipped it a bit so if the max range is within the border then it will be out also. The image size is 6144x5120 which is 6x5 x 1024x1024 tiles cut to the edges of the Torq's array.

Torq
04-05-2008, 05:32 PM
Brilliant Redrobes. This is an invaluable resource for this project. Thanks for all the hard work and research that you have put in so far and the support you have given this project. Tried to rep you but it seems I have to spread some round first.

Torq

Redrobes
04-05-2008, 07:26 PM
Cheers Torq, knowing that you tried is good enough. Now I have to play a little catch up. Theres some great maps coming along.

ravells
04-05-2008, 07:48 PM
Glad to see you got your raw file in the end!

Redrobes
04-05-2008, 08:37 PM
Glad to see you got your raw file in the end!Thanks for trying tho Ravs. I dont know FT at all but Monks said that...

FT can only export viewports as mdr so ft to hf2 was out- hence the tg detour.

...so we went from mdr to tg to ter to tiff to gray to png. I also have the HF2 for myself too.

Were you using a file that was just the region or did you have to zoom in and save a viewport from Neons World4 original. And did you find a way to save a raw file directly ?

Another question I am thinking now is should I try to use the WIP scraper (like that of the challenge thumbnail generator) to generate a 6x5 tile webpage of everyones sectors ?

delgondahntelius
04-05-2008, 10:28 PM
RedRobes... you really work too hard... work to hard to make our lives easier :D

waldronate
04-06-2008, 05:22 AM
Thanks for trying tho Ravs. I dont know FT at all but Monks said that...

...so we went from mdr to tg to ter to tiff to gray to png. I also have the HF2 for myself too.

Were you using a file that was just the region or did you have to zoom in and save a viewport from Neons World4 original. And did you find a way to save a raw file directly ?

Another question I am thinking now is should I try to use the WIP scraper (like that of the challenge thumbnail generator) to generate a 6x5 tile webpage of everyones sectors ?

Wow. File>>Save As with type Special MDR in FT will output the height field at arbitrary resolution in the equirectangular projection for the whole world. Wilbur loads the MDR and saves a 16-bit PNG surface. Or did I miss something?

ravells
04-06-2008, 06:32 AM
Thanks for trying tho Ravs. I dont know FT at all but Monks said that...

It was a file of the whole planet. I don't think that there's a way to export in raw as a particular view.

Redrobes
04-06-2008, 08:33 AM
I m not familiar enough to comment on its ability so ill just quote what Monks told me...

FT does export current viewport extents. I've tried the .mdr export and Wilbur is fine with it (well it would be). I'm not sure of the bit depth right now and I'm not sure if one can do this as a raw either but I can take it through other apps to get it to a hf2 anyway

...and then later...

...So I know he tried the FT to Wilbur route. Thats all I know but Monks tends to know about these things as he transfers between apps a lot so I just took it that it must be true. It sounds like I could have got to png16 easier then but I need hf2 so I derived the png from the hf2.

waldronate
04-06-2008, 04:05 PM
I m not familiar enough to comment on its ability so ill just quote what Monks told me...

FT does export current viewport extents. I've tried the .mdr export and Wilbur is fine with it (well it would be). I'm not sure of the bit depth right now and I'm not sure if one can do this as a raw either but I can take it through other apps to get it to a hf2 anyway

...and then later...

...So I know he tried the FT to Wilbur route. Thats all I know but Monks tends to know about these things as he transfers between apps a lot so I just took it that it must be true. It sounds like I could have got to png16 easier then but I need hf2 so I derived the png from the hf2.

I just wanted to be sure that there wasn't some particular reason that you used that tool chain. I'll try to remember to get a whole-world and view 16-bit PNG surface output into FT in the future.

su_liam
04-07-2008, 01:40 AM
I did a Wide Histogram on the 16-bit global heightfield. The smallest value is 9200, the largest value is 15950. The Optipix Wide Histogram filter I have uses bins with a width of 25 values, so I can't give you exact stats, but I'd calculate that the image uses at least 270 distinct values and at most 6750. Not exactly 2^16, but better than 256.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I tried to rep you, but no go... I'll try again later. Maybe this is the punishment for trying to rep myself ;) .

DarkOne
04-07-2008, 12:03 PM
Redrobes, thanx for the Region PNG heightfield.

DarkOne
04-07-2008, 01:05 PM
NeonKnight is it possible to get a temperature map for both summer and winter for the region. Rainfall is not important. I would like to see how far the ice pack shifts downwards from the artic region for both summer and winter.

NeonKnight
04-07-2008, 06:40 PM
NeonKnight is it possible to get a temperature map for both summer and winter for the region. Rainfall is not important. I would like to see how far the ice pack shifts downwards from the artic region for both summer and winter.

Unfortunately, no, FT gives a median temperature only. Realistic (or even semi realistic weather/seasonal patterns) are beyond the scope of the program.

Also, for me, I have NO clue about the Farenhidt scale as I use Celcius, which is odd because I do all other measuremnts (except voulme) in Imperial (feet, Miles, Pounds)

waldronate
04-07-2008, 07:54 PM
If only the 4 seasonal temperature values that FT computes to generate the average could be exposed to the outside world somehow...

The climate computations were not really intended to be part of the original FT design but were something that I threw together on the fly. Providing visualization of seasons would lead directly to users wanting to edit temperature/rainfall for each season, requiring either separate sizes for those editing maps or allowing extreme amounts of memory usage (which FT doesn't handle so well).

I have been considering providing a "season" slider to the derived items (temperature/rainfall) to see the values for a particular season, but providing seasonal editing probably isn't in the cards in the near term.

Redrobes
04-08-2008, 04:26 PM
Just putting together the completed map so far for my reference. I will try to keep this up to date as and when I have the time. It links to full size image. PM me if you think something is amiss or you have updated it.

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/Temp/CG/ThinkBig/Region/MappedTiles_TN.png (http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/Temp/CG/ThinkBig/Region/MappedTiles.png)

RobA
04-08-2008, 04:42 PM
Redrobes - That is so Cool!!!

-Rob A>

Torq
04-08-2008, 05:51 PM
I've said it before. I'll say it again. Redrobes, you're a wizard!! That looks great. I think you just invented our splash screen/logo/distinguishing mark. You just need to add the title "The Guildworld Project" to it somewhere and it will look like the cover of a book.

Torq

ravells
04-08-2008, 06:10 PM
Redrobes, that is fantastic!!!

NeonKnight
04-08-2008, 06:19 PM
Agreed. repped for the cool idea.

DarkOne
04-09-2008, 09:49 AM
I have a major deadline at my job, so I be a wee bit slow in producing the two maps. Alucard, just PM with ideas or questions.

Torq
04-09-2008, 04:23 PM
Since the initial surge when the plots got snapped up really quickly, there has been a slowdown in the land grab. Work seems to be going on very nicely on the areas that have been claimed but there are still a few unclaimed areas. Regions 4, 10, 25, 26, 27 and 30 are still up for grabs.

Some people may want to get involved but feel its too late and they have missed the boat. Let me assure you its not. Its never too late to get into the project and there are no entrance requirements except being able to work in a team environment and have a willingness to improve your mapping skills. So if you're new it doesn't matter. There is help and advice available and its always given in the right spirit.

That having been said there are a few industry pros, community leaders, challenge winners and mapping wizards whose names are notably absent. No pressure at all RobA, Pyrandon, Arcana, HandsomeRob, Anna, Publius and many more ;).

Torq

ravells
04-09-2008, 05:02 PM
Well said, I'd love to see a few more industry pros involved in this...it would be very inspirational.

Redrobes
04-09-2008, 07:27 PM
Yeah but be fair, HRob and Anna have enough on their plate with their own worlds. I am supposed to be doing MeDem as well. Since we're testing coast lines out right now I am using this partly as a test run in that area too.

Maybe they will get more stuck in when the scale gets a bit smaller. I'm not intending to map everything in my sector - I want people to join in and map some of it.

Midgardsormr
04-09-2008, 08:10 PM
RR, would you like us to start tagging our images like in the Challenges? I went ahead and did so in my thread.

Redrobes
04-09-2008, 08:31 PM
It would be much easier. Currently I am doing the regional map with the custom tiles on it using ViewingDale but it means that I have to keep checking the threads with new posts and grab a tile then put that in to see the new overall map. The thing is tho that some people are mapping an area bigger than their tile and/or have borders to the map. The WIP scraper will just take an image and make a thumb out of it. I can format up the thumb sheet any way I like so I could make it use a 6x5 tile grid of thumbs no prob but I don't think that many of them would line up all that well as it stands. I think for now ill keep going by hand and you gotta expect it to be out of date quite a bit and when it gets more tiles progressing then maybe it would be easier then to say - hey guys put a borderless square WIP in now and again and tag it for the overall map. If tile mappers think this is a good idea then put the latest wip tags in your thread next to a tile formatted attachment and if I see enough to make it worth it then ill set up the script and page.

Doing 30 tiles is going to be tough by hand. The challenge script has been running great for the April so far. Its using that code block in the main entry to get at the thread numbers.

Oh yeah, if people want a high res image like that of the brown backdrop to use as a template to get the borders right for the overall map that I have been placing them on then just ask as I have all 30 of them done already.

I have been playing with my tile tonight. I will keep the border but the actual terrain has to be modified. Its a bit like the random dungeon map - I cant make sense of it without changing it. I think I got a bit of a duff tile as its all near to sea level and uniformly bumpy without any form. In real life it would either flood or dry up but it could not exist like the way it comes. So its got a ridge of hills running through it now. Will have to make up a name and start a thread.

su_liam
04-10-2008, 12:38 AM

One thing I'm thinking about is to have the Stoutlings somewhat immune to the Plague. This might also be true for the other Little People tribes, if so the Gnomes and Dwarves won't say and no one expects a straight or coherent answer from an idiot Kobold. From the look of things, Orcs have no problem with the Plague. The Orcs better looking cousins, the Elves haven't been seen around here in so long, who knows?

That's my story anyway, it could change.

DarkOne
04-10-2008, 12:07 PM
I could take map 4 if no one wants it, for another smaller kingdom spanning map 3 and 4 (about midway, upto the huge mountain range).

I still extremely busy to complete work for an urgent deadline so no progress from my side.

Baziron
04-10-2008, 03:36 PM
One thing I'm thinking about is to have the Stoutlings somewhat immune to the Plague. This might also be true for the other Little People tribes, if so the Gnomes and Dwarves won't say and no one expects a straight or coherent answer from an idiot Kobold. From the look of things, Orcs have no problem with the Plague. The Orcs better looking cousins, the Elves haven't been seen around here in so long, who knows?

Resistance of Gnomes/Dwarves: Well, they are usually presented as being tougher than the average (Ingame, at least), sooo... but I came to think of something else, which however would bear a lot of significance were it to be decided to be true:

The Plague is a disease (like the real plague), but with the twist that it is somehow race-specific (i.e. only reacts to something unique to the human/halfhuman genome?). So the other races might carry and spread it, without ever suffering from it. It's your comment regarding Orks that gave me the idea.
However, if it was exactly this case, then that would have an unbelievable impact on the racial demographics. I'd go as far and say: It can't be this way, for that'd probably screw humanity over faster than they could witness.

su_liam
04-10-2008, 04:46 PM
True, but if we assume that humanity is greatly in the majority over much of the world, and the other races are perhaps in decline it might be something that gives the others a fighting chance. There's been some discussion about "The Years of Rice and Salt," here, and it brings up a question. While the real plague did not bring about the extinction of European civilization, as in the book, it did devastate Europe, killing, if I remember correctly, more than a third of it's people. 150 years later, "Columbus sails the Ocean blue." I wouldn't count humanity out, but these are going to be interesting times.

Really can't say about the others Gnomes pretty much keep to themselves. There really weren't a lot of Dwarves in the previously effected region, there could be a few huddling in high mountain fortresses. I haven't really worked that out except for the Stoutlings and Orcs. I'm pretty sure the Plague kills Goblins and Hobgoblins as well, thus shifting the balance in that area toward the Orcs.

This is all assuming non-humans exist. I don't even know if the Guildworld has magic. I know Stoutlings don't.

Baziron
04-10-2008, 05:35 PM
@Europe and the plague: Hm, valid point there. It probably depends on how contagious the disease is, you know, whether it spreads through fluids, touch or other.

At any rate, dwarves huddling in fortresses tend to be more hygienic and thus simply less affected.

Another point to be considered: since the land is visibly affected, documenting a spreading of the plague - I don't think the black plague did that. So we'd be more into a "contamination-thing". But radiation, for example, doesn't exactly spread... so what is the plague?

I say, we have a question to drive Groam's intellectual elite mad! MAD! ;-)

industrygothica
04-14-2008, 03:21 AM
Has anyone considered that maybe there is no plague? There probably once was, but decades after the surrounding regions have implemented their precautions to keep those from the plaguelands out, the plague itself may have simply run its course.

This gives two viable options for the plaguelands:

1. It is a blighted region imprisoned by the fortifications of the surrounding areas. Those within are forced to depend on themselves for survival, as they have no imports. The people would likely have become a tribal society, living off the land and making use of the ruined towns and villages evacuated so many years ago. Of course attempts have been made to escape into another region, but those people are quickly put down by the border guards.

Imagine their horror should they ever find out that they’ve been killing innocent, plague-free victims all this time.

2. In basically the same scenario as above, but the plaguelands have since become a thriving utopia. Crops grow in abundance, rivers flow clean, etc. Of course the populace is more than content to let those on the outside think what they will. I think that in this scenario there should be some blighted border of some sort, just to keep the perception to outsiders that the land is indeed still inhospitable.

Just my two cents… carry on. ;)

Sigurd
04-14-2008, 08:39 AM
Is this the current state of the project? 8 blocks taken up?

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/Temp/CG/ThinkBig/Region/MappedTilesTN.png

Sigurd

industrygothica
04-14-2008, 08:56 AM
I think the latest landgrab is here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showpost.php?p=16524&postcount=112). The picture above is an image that Redrobes put together of the currently posted WIP's.

Genius, isn't it?

-IG

Redrobes
04-14-2008, 02:09 PM
Whoah - big image.... Sigurd, edit the post and put _TN onto the end of the image filename (for thumbnail).

Yes at this stage theres a few more text entries waiting to get mapped. Venardhi has got a first stage tile WIP ready down the bottom of the map too. So thats 9 so far I think - actually he's done 4 tiles there so its more like 12 now :)

Is anyone taking that ickle bitty one out in the middle ??? The Diago Garcia of islands ? I could have a pop at that one if no one else thought it worth it...

NeonKnight
04-14-2008, 03:16 PM
I thought somebody had it?

I know I took the two empty ocean areas. I actually have some cool ideas for them ;)

Torq
04-14-2008, 03:39 PM
Yes Sigurd, plenty of great plots still up for grabs. Some great sea frontage, position position position! Its never too early to get into this market. Stands still available 4, 10, 25, 26, 27 and 30. Prices are completely negotiable. Make me an offer, you wont regret it.

Torq

Redrobes
04-14-2008, 03:50 PM
The itty bitty one is actually well into Venardhi's tile but his map ends before the edge of the tile. Its probably part of Baz's island chain.

Baziron
04-14-2008, 04:15 PM
Has anyone considered that maybe there is no plague? There probably once was, but decades after the surrounding regions have implemented their precautions to keep those from the plaguelands out, the plague itself may have simply run its course.

AWESOME Idea! I like the way you think; I would not have been able to come up with that myself. We should need to consider that for the creative writing, it should have little effect on ... arg, I forgot who did that region ... his/her map. Come to think of it, when it was drawn, it was certainly correct, but afterwards, noone went to look.

@Map: Yeah, I took care of the island chain. The open water regions in my square are under my care as well, but I think they'll just be simple open water.

Redrobes
04-14-2008, 04:24 PM
Its this one ere... Its in Venardhis tile but your chain. If his map is not covering it then I guess its yours. Might want to check with him tho...

Baziron
04-14-2008, 04:33 PM
What the... *squints.eyes*

That must be snot on the map... o Didn't see that yet. Hm. I'll doublecheck with him, then come up with something. Another island... even further away, yet connected... I smell secrets sleeping in the deep sea.

Some much for simple open water, eh guys? :-D

Redrobes
04-14-2008, 04:37 PM
Told you it was itty bitty.... ;)

I checked that it was on the original map posted in the early days. Theres actually a more major island just off the bottom left corner of this region extents too. Just keep that in mind if thinking that theres a thousand miles of nada over S.W. yonder.

Redrobes
04-14-2008, 04:44 PM
Heh heh, I have just measured it. It's a good 9.5 miles across that speck there ! Thats plenty enough for a little hidey hole island :)

industrygothica
04-14-2008, 10:02 PM
AWESOME Idea! I like the way you think; I would not have been able to come up with that myself. We should need to consider that for the creative writing, it should have little effect on ... arg, I forgot who did that region ... his/her map. Come to think of it, when it was drawn, it was certainly correct, but afterwards, noone went to look.

@Map: Yeah, I took care of the island chain. The open water regions in my square are under my care as well, but I think they'll just be simple open water.

I think it's definitely something worth considering. I don't remember who's got that area either, but I guess it's ultimately up to him. I just thought it'd be a neat twist.

-IG

Gamerprinter
04-15-2008, 12:07 AM
Since my April challenge is just about wrapped up, I've got some time to work on my map area for this project. I might try hand-drawing with subtle coloring onto an old parchment surface.

Since Brinsmerd is the harsh land of the steppe, home to nomadic mounted tribes like the Mongols, my area 9 will be the end of the steppe, site of a great trade center controlled by the Horde, but allowed autonomy for the sake of properity. Think Samarkand in Uzbekestan, a melting pot of the East and Near East, home to dozens of religions (religious freedom), a center for science, engineering, architecture, arts, history, arcane studies.

But area 9 is the urban sector of the Horde, sections 10 and 27, even that half sector west of 27 with the lake, could serve as a "Lake Bailkal", ancient home, burial site of the Khans. Except for traversing roads and a few small towns and roadstops, there's mostly nothing except the a sea grass.

If nobody takes 10 and 27, add it to mine, otherwise, those who do, that's my cultural plan in developing this area of the map.

Torq
04-15-2008, 03:29 AM
GP, if you want 10 and 27 they are yours. Thanks for putting your hand up (again). I love your concept already. Cant wait to see it being built.

Torq

ravells
04-15-2008, 03:34 PM
Can someone explain the title nomenclature to the map WIPs please because I don't understand it. I mean the [Region x] [Map y].

I had thought that we were in Region 1 and we used our map numbers following the squares that Torq had carved out and which we chose, but I'm seeing Regions of all sorts of different numbers.

Robbie
04-15-2008, 04:21 PM
I just fixed it for all of them...I believe it is supposed to be Region 1...I think now would be a good time for our newest community leader to post a "posting guidelines" sticky for this forum.

[Region #][Map #]

Torq
04-15-2008, 04:52 PM
Subtle Hint received. Action will be taken.

Torq

Robbie
04-15-2008, 05:13 PM
Subtle hint??? Nah, more like playful ribbing. You haven't been properly initiated yet.

Venardhi
04-16-2008, 07:44 PM
I've seen a few mockups patching the maps together and noticed mine is a little off-scale. Once I work out the exact coastline I'll produce full images for each portion to keep them square, but for now it is just a bunch of empty space on my map. Here is how they should line up, still a bit off, but that just means I need to refine the coast more.

Hopefully it helps.

Airith
04-16-2008, 08:59 PM
I wish I could change my coast Venardhi, mine is used for nearly all of my layers (i have a lotof layers) and not just on top.

Venardhi
04-17-2008, 12:19 AM
Don't worry about it, mine is still easily changed.

Redrobes
04-17-2008, 08:20 AM
Hi Venardhi, my current state of the map image is quite rough and I don't spend a lot of time getting each map exact though as we get more finished tiles I guess I could be a little more attentive. If you are able to cut into three squares that would be great :)

Torq
04-18-2008, 04:12 PM
I was asked recently when the next level of mapping was going to begin. It struck me that members might think there had to be some completion of a regional map before mapping began on the individual settlements. Let me dispel that myth. If a map you see on one of these threads has a settlement with a name, and you want to map it go fir it. Just contect the mapper of the big map and check that s/he isn't reserving it for something, or that its not already being done, otherwise start mapping it and keep posting your progress. Also check anything that may already have been written about the place in the regions thread.

I want to stress that this is open to anyone who is on these boards. No pedigree needed and you dont have to have mapped an area to also map settlements.

Get going ya varmints.

Torq

Torq
04-18-2008, 04:25 PM
Here is the latest landgrab picture. As you can see only 4 more areas to go. Come on those who have not yet grabbed one. Now is your chance. Become part of something big, cool and moving.

Torq

industrygothica
04-24-2008, 05:11 PM
ravells has kindly offered to walk me through a map since I can't seem to get off the ground on my own. I'm going to snag area 25 and hopefully have something to contribute when we're done!

Thanks again ravells - you've given me hope, and I've given you rep! ;)

Torq
04-24-2008, 05:18 PM
Hi IG. I responded in you other post, but I repeat: 25 is yours to do with what you please. I think as you go through it with Ravs the bug will bite. Most graphics apps seem to have an early learning curve which is hard but quite short. Once you get over it its very exciting.

I think its poetic that you should map a section as you are so intimately involved in the project anyway.

Torq

industrygothica
04-24-2008, 05:20 PM
Hi IG. I responded in you other post, but I repeat: 25 is yours to do with what you please. I think as you go through it with Ravs the bug will bite. Most graphics apps seem to have an early learning curve which is hard but quite short. Once you get over it its very exciting.

I think its poetic that you should map a section as you are so intimately involved in the project anyway.

Torq

I really think it seems right that I should, but kept my hands out of the mapping because I didn't want to much anything up. We'll see!

ravells
04-24-2008, 06:39 PM
oh crumbs...I hope I don't teach you a load of mistakes.

industrygothica
04-24-2008, 06:42 PM
oh crumbs...I hope I don't teach you a load of mistakes.

Tell you what - if it turns out well, I'll give you all the credit. If it looks like crap, I'll forget I know you.

Deal? ;)

Baziron
04-25-2008, 04:03 PM
"It's a pleasure not doing business with you." :-D

DarkOne
04-26-2008, 09:18 AM
Torq and others.

I have a major project that is eating up most of my time, spending close to 16 hours a day on it, so hardly any time to spare on working on maps. Alucard, feel free to continue working on your map with the undead in the swamps. The kingdom with be a ruthless ruled harsh environment of all year snow covered peaks, with deep snow during the winter months. Rulers enjoy having the undead in their territory as allies against those who wish to cause trouble in the kingdom. Survival of the fittest is the way of life in this cold kingdom, especially in the mountainous regions and swamp/bog low lands.

It seems like I be busy for about 2 months on this huge project I working on.

ravells
04-26-2008, 12:27 PM
I was just thinking that we haven't heard from Hans, who has a fairly critical territory...hope he's still interested.

Baziron
04-26-2008, 04:44 PM
*checks*

Bide, I have a pm that might relate to that...

Addendum: From what I can tell, he's still on it.

ravells
04-26-2008, 05:09 PM
Cool and excellent!

Sigurd
04-28-2008, 02:20 PM
Just cant stay away.

If anyone drops out of this thing and gives up a region, put my name in.

1) I'm just slow to commit :)
2) You need understudies.

Sigurd

RobA
04-28-2008, 02:50 PM
4 and 26 are still available (I think).

-Rob A>

Torq
04-28-2008, 05:43 PM
Yes Sigurd 4,26 and 30 are still available. Which one do you want? Its yours. You may want to take advantage of our "two for the price of one" special. Or maybe you also want an area RobA?

Torq

Sigurd
04-28-2008, 06:35 PM
I'm going to try section 30.

Or I will keep my plan and wait in the wings for any holes.

If 30, any info about the climate?

NM - Found Ravel's Composits.

Who has 24, 25 and 29?

Any chance of getting the MDR file for the world\section to work from?

industrygothica
04-28-2008, 07:07 PM
I'm going to try section 30.

Or I will keep my plan and wait in the wings for any holes.

If 30, any info about the climate?

Who has 24, 25 and 29?

Any chance of getting the MDR file for the world\section to work from?

I've got 25.

RobA
04-28-2008, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the offer Torq, but I'm up to my eyeballs in both real work and on-the-go mapping efforts right now......

-Rob A>

ravells
04-28-2008, 08:32 PM
Go on, Go on, Go on, ....have you ever watched 'Father Ted?'

Baziron
04-29-2008, 03:09 AM
Isn't that the one with the audible Irish accent, who goes like "He-looooo" on the phone? ;-)

industrygothica
04-29-2008, 04:35 AM
Not sure how important this is to most people, but we (specifically areas 26-30) are moving out of the regions outlined in Venardhi's map (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showpost.php?p=16220&postcount=26). While it's great that we're moving on, it might be time to update the region map as well.

Sigurd-- since we will apparently be sharing the region of Bruskos, I'd be happy to kick around some ideas with you here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1884).

Torq
04-29-2008, 05:22 AM
I would be inclined to say we should stick with the Ansium region for a while before opening up a new region. We have very little mapped below the initial level. Maybe we should spend some time fleshing out what we have. It will also give those mappers a chance who didn't want to map regions but are keen to get involved in higher magnfication mapping. Several have mentioned on these threads that they feel that way.

Torq

industrygothica
04-29-2008, 05:45 AM
I would be inclined to say we should stick with the Ansium region for a while before opening up a new region. We have very little mapped below the initial level. Maybe we should spend some time fleshing out what we have. It will also give those mappers a chance who didn't want to map regions but are keen to get involved in higher magnfication mapping. Several have mentioned on these threads that they feel that way.

Torq

I misspoke. What I meant to ask is: is there any way we can expand Venardhi's map to match the current landgrab? I don't know about anyone else, but I have been using an overlay of that map on top of the landgrab so that I know not only what square a person is mapping, but exactly what region that square is in. It's been very helpful.

As for opening up an entirely new region, God please no! Not yet... ;)

Torq
04-29-2008, 04:02 PM
Here is the latest view showing the state of the land grab. Ansium, as you can see, in almost completely taken, with only two regions left. It will bea great feeling when the last two are taken. I will fee that we have got to the first major milestone in a very short period of time. Thanks to everyone who has participated so far and to those who have not but want to, its never too late to fire up a map, no matter how bad you think it is. Once you start you will be amazed at how easy it is to be swept up in the thing. You'll be debating the finer points of wiki entries in no time.

Torq

industrygothica
04-29-2008, 04:20 PM
Here is the latest view showing the state of the land grab. Ansium, as you can see, in almost completely taken, with only two regions left. It will bea great feeling when the last two are taken. I will fee that we have got to the first major milestone in a very short period of time. Thanks to everyone who has participated so far and to those who have not but want to, its never too late to fire up a map, no matter how bad you think it is. Once you start you will be amazed at how easy it is to be swept up in the thing. You'll be debating the finer points of wiki entries in no time.

Torq

If I make it through this map alive and in one piece, and with not too many more gray hairs, I think I may take 26 just for the heck of it (if it's still available then). Something about a windswept arctic wasteland just appeals to me. ;)

RobA
04-29-2008, 04:45 PM
Can those bordering on 4 (3, 8, and 21?) say what is in 4? Looks like it could be mostly empty land...

-Rob A>

Torq
04-29-2008, 04:52 PM
I'm sure they can, but it looks very hilly/mountainous and its far Northern position means pretty damn cold too I think, why?

Torq

RobA
04-29-2008, 09:30 PM
I'm sure they can, but it looks very hilly/mountainous and its far Northern position means pretty damn cold too I think, why?

Torq

empty map=easy map :)

-Rob A>

Gamerprinter
04-29-2008, 10:39 PM
I was looking a 26 myself, only in relation to Qashya Mal. I was thinking something like orcs and ogres, influenced by mongol technology, but not mounted, unless there are mastadons in that region... lots of orc or ogre villages and such, no large communities - my thoughts anyway.

industrygothica
04-29-2008, 11:34 PM
I was looking a 26 myself, only in relation to Qashya Mal. I was thinking something like orcs and ogres, influenced by mongol technology, but not mounted, unless there are mastadons in that region... lots of orc or ogre villages and such, no large communities - my thoughts anyway.

Feel free to take it. Sounds like a great idea.

SpamValiant
04-30-2008, 10:01 AM
Looking at 26, if I read the colours aright, there is an isolated lowland surrounded by mountains in the northern third of the territory which would make an excellent place for a lost civilisation. Whether it survives or is in ruins would of course be an intriguing question...

SeerBlue
04-30-2008, 11:19 PM
I saw a post earlier, though I can't find it now, asking the approximate size of the area being mapped and distances. If, as the post said, this planet is about Earth sized I have A LINK (http://www.skindustry.net/medem/files/Temp/Redrobes/SeerBig/Where%20in%20the%20GuildWorldg%20copy.jpg) an image that may help,,,hopefully, as I have never posted an image here before.
The image was georeferenced in Global Mapper and the Latitude Longitude grid, distance and area measurements generated in GM as well.
SeerBlue

NeonKnight
05-01-2008, 01:28 AM
I saw a post earlier, though I can't find it now, asking the approximate size of the area being mapped and distances. If, as the post said, this planet is about Earth sized I have A LINK (http://www.skindustry.net/medem/files/Temp/Redrobes/SeerBig/Where%20in%20the%20GuildWorldg%20copy.jpg) an image that may help,,,hopefully, as I have never posted an image here before.
The image was georeferenced in Global Mapper and the Latitude Longitude grid, distance and area measurements generated in GM as well.
SeerBlue

There was this post:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showpost.php?p=16080&postcount=92

And this post:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showpost.php?p=16082&postcount=93

Gamerprinter
05-01-2008, 02:32 AM
For the Qashya Mal Wiki page...

On my map of western Qashya Mal, there's this port town south of Calishem called Miresport. Unless it isn't obvious, unlike the other communities of the region it has a distinctly non-slavic/mongol sounding name. In fact it sounds like something from Thrubmorton Fens are other western location.

The idea, is that this is a colonial trade community built near Calishem to get a foot in the door to the eastern markets, as well as a way keeping an eye on any militant directives by the Khan to possible invasions to the west.

Miresport is a colony of who? Which of the other mapped territories has a stable sovereignty and perhaps somewhat imperialistic view of foreign affairs who might desire a trade port near the center of trade from the east?

Volunteer so I can provide appropriate background info on the site. You can volunteer info, individuals who might be appropriate community leaders...

Anyone? :?:

Perfect
05-03-2008, 10:53 AM
Hi.
Whats left? Have areas 4 and 26 officially been taken or is it possible to give it a shot?
-P

Baziron
05-03-2008, 11:23 AM
The area that Terrainmonkey had chosen to handle are free to grab again, too, due to circumstances.

Torq
05-04-2008, 04:17 PM
Yes, Perfect, those two are still available and they are yours. Great to have you onboard. Baz, thats not great to hear about TM. Is that confirmed?

Torq

Torq
05-04-2008, 04:37 PM
Sorry, only saw TM's post after I responded to this one. Perfect, you up to taking the one in between as well?

Torq

Perfect
05-07-2008, 12:07 PM
Hmm. I wouldnt want to be greedy. I will settle for the area TerrainMonkey had picked. I actually know him Irl so i will check with him about his situation. Thx guys.
-P

Torq
05-07-2008, 01:49 PM
Cool, the area is yours. Welcome onboard.

Torq

delgondahntelius
05-09-2008, 02:25 AM
I still plan on helping ... I just been a little swamped of late... sorry I'm so sloooow. Just thought I'd mention it in case you thought I forgot. :D

Torq
05-24-2008, 04:19 PM
For those who may be new and others who dont know about it, this is the current state of the areas selected by members. The Region is the first region on the world map that the CWBP is busy mapping. The areas that are shaded and contain names are "owned" by members who are responsible for mapping them (Just the area not all the details in it). The blue shaded areas are areas where maps have already been turned in and they can be viewed and commented on in this sub-forum.

As you can see we still have two areas left to give away before the the whole section has been taken which we at the project will consider a huge milestone. Please get involved. No skill levels are required and you can use any style you like. Our central theme is cooperation and help, advice and encouragement are freely available. There is no deadline and you can choose your own pace. Check out the wiki and Seerblue's cool Google map of the areas we have done. Just two more, come on Newbies give it a shot!

For those who may not fancy regional mapping, there are massive opportunities on the regional maps for you to map local areas of your choice. We need cities, towns, fortresses, settlements of all kinds. Just browse through a few areas and choose something you would like to map. Just check with the mapper of the area first, in case its been done or is being done.

Here is the visual representation of the area so far.

Torq

Arkkeeper
05-24-2008, 08:40 PM
If I could I would like to draw an Inworld Hand Map of the entire area, I'm very good at inworld ones, I just don't have any examples available.

SeerBlue
05-25-2008, 12:53 PM
Does any one have a high resolution image of a village or structure that goes at a specific location in their map done yet, besides Redrobes (his Thrub map is big enough to zoom in), I am working at linking subsets of the country maps to other google maps of villages, buildings, caves, whatever has a specific geographical reference off the country map, for the InsCarto google maps of the CWBP. Right now I have 2 working examples on my hard drive, but I am just using filler images plotted any old where, so before I upload them to InsCarto I would like to use real CWBP related imagery,,,,it doesn't have the same"cool" effect if you click on a marker and a field of flowers is all the appears in the other map.....:)

Once me-dem is back online I will add more maps to the index for viewing. SeerBlue

Torq
05-25-2008, 01:47 PM
So far I've only got the town of Kwourin which goes on the Groam map.

Torq

SeerBlue
05-25-2008, 08:48 PM
AHHA, I have Kwourin,,and Groam on my computer already,tiled even,,,duhh, sometimes age is not a virtue.
I now have a mission. Thanks Torque.
SeerBlue

Torq
06-04-2008, 04:30 PM
I'm very happy to announce that both Bohunk and Jfrazierjnr have joined the project as area mappers, and will be mapping areas 26 and 4 respectively. Welcome both of you the CWBP and dont be shy to post WIPs. Remember to start a new thred for your map.

I'm also very happy to tell you that we have now "sold" every piece of real estate on the Region 1 map. This has always been a major milestone in my mind and its really cool that we have got there. Now its just a matter of getting the maps out there.

Below is the latest view of the land grab. Note the red areas completely filling the map. Blue areas are ones in which WIPs or finished products have been posted on this forum. Lets get bluer people!

Torq

jfrazierjr
06-04-2008, 06:05 PM
I'm very happy to announce that both Bohunk and Jfrazierjnr have joined the project as area mappers, and will be mapping areas 26 and 4 respectively. Welcome both of you the CWBP and dont be shy to post WIPs. Remember to start a new thred for your map.
Torq

Thanks. I hope to get a stub image by end of the weekend. I asked on the other thread, but is there a higher resolution height field and river/lake system generated? Or should we just work with our neighbors and fiat the rest?

Joe

Redrobes
06-04-2008, 07:08 PM
Torq, there seems to be a bit of a mismatch here. Perfect took tile 4 and you have him marked as taking and completing tile 5. My map makes perfects tile line up on 4 so I dont know what is going to happen with Jfrazierjr. Maybe he should take 5 instead but I thought id bring this up before a lot of mapping has taken place.

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/Temp/CG/ThinkBig/Region/MappedTiles_TN.png (http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/Temp/CG/ThinkBig/Region/MappedTiles.png)

Redrobes
06-04-2008, 07:10 PM
I asked on the other thread, but is there a higher resolution height field and river/lake system generated?I can provide a land map, a grayscale height map, and light map if you want. Go right to the edge of the land map, the border is my error. The gray is mountainous - probably better to match Perfects tile than strictly stick to the original data tho.

Arkkeeper
06-04-2008, 09:17 PM
Wow what a great display of everone's different map styles

Torq
06-05-2008, 01:54 AM
Torq, there seems to be a bit of a mismatch here. Perfect took tile 4 and you have him marked as taking and completing tile 5. My map makes perfects tile line up on 4 so I dont know what is going to happen with Jfrazierjr. Maybe he should take 5 instead but I thought id bring this up before a lot of mapping has taken place.

Yes, good catch Red. Seems to have been some confusion between Perfect and I. He asked if he could do the area which Terrainmonkey had been doinf (which was 5). He actually did 4, but I didn't notice that it was 4.

Another fetaher in your cap REdrobes for the close attention you are paying to this project and the hours you are putting into it.

Jfrazierjr, would you mind mapping area 5 rather than 4? I see that 5 is in any case theheight field that Redrobes has supplied.

Torq

ravells
06-09-2008, 05:49 AM
:: Edit - Sorry, I didn't see that TM had handed his tile on but I'll leave the post below anyway::

There seems to be a bit of confusion here. This is what I can see on the top rank of tiles (click the 'thread' sort to see the map postings displayed in numerical order):

Map 1 - Alucard
Map 2 & 3 - Darkone
Map 4 - Perfect
Map 5 - Terrain Monkey (jfrazierjr?)
Map 26 - Bohunk.

So it looks like all the top tiles (indeed all the tiles) have gone, I'm not sure where this leaves jfrazierjr unless we open up more tiles to be mapped or start re-assigning tiles which have been handed out at the begining of the project but which have not been mapped at all.

I would suggest the latter option (use it or lose it) as it would be good to have this region completed before moving on. For example, I'm not sure if Hans Worst (Map 11) has moved onto other things? Perhaps that could be reassigned to jfrazierjr and if Hans reappears we could start to create more tiles to map or encourage people to do more local mapping in the existing region (eg. Towns , cities , localities etc).

Valarian
06-09-2008, 08:56 AM
Looks like I've finally got a little bit of time and come late to the party. Map 11 looks interesting (if Hans has really gone walkies). There's Ravs' Beastlands to the East, Baviron's island chain to the South (and a small part of a province), NeonKnight's Thanelands to the North.

industrygothica
06-09-2008, 09:05 AM
Just to let you know I haven't abandoned the project. I've got other things on my plate at the moment and am taking a bit of a break, but I fully intend on finishing, so there will be no giving away of my spot, if you please! ;)

-IG

Valarian
06-09-2008, 03:07 PM
Oh well ... hopefully when region 2 comes along it'll fit with an availability to do maps

ravells
06-09-2008, 04:19 PM
Valarian, you can always pick a town, city or a locality within a region and map that...

megabyter5
07-06-2008, 04:16 PM
Is this the entire world? If so, I am sad that there are no pieces left.

ravells
07-06-2008, 04:53 PM
This is just one bit of the world and more of it will open up when this one has been mapped. You can map localities, towns or cities within already mapped regions, so please feel free to make a map!

Baziron
07-11-2008, 05:58 AM
Alternatively, you could also politely step up to one of the members who has not presented anything so far and ask whether it'd be okay with him if you took over that tile.

At this time, I'd actually say chances are good enough to warrant a try. Just remember that... what's the proverb... the tact dictates the rhythm, or something like that.

ravells
07-11-2008, 08:22 AM
Absolutely. I was thinking about whether we should approach members who had not posted for a long time to see whether they would be happy to put their regions up for adoption, but was going to wait until Torq got back from his holidays.

Redrobes
07-11-2008, 08:22 AM
I reckon that everyone should take a kind of lease out on a tile for about 3 months and if you don't map something in that time then it goes back for recycling. You could re-request it again but at least there would be a kind of sunset clause to it so that for people who drop off the edge of the universe we don't have to chase them for it.

Really, I think that for the sections that are unmapped and have no WIP thread running, they gotta be considered open. It does not matter if you get two maps of one place anyway. Ok thats not ideal but its not the end of the world.

Although it would be nice to see Ansium finished I would hope that the inner parts of the tiles would be flushed out a lot more rather than go to a new region and start again.

We ought to have a world name poll too just to clear that loose end away too. Then start a thread titled [World1] with links to the whole map + links to Ansium. That would be cool.

ravells
07-11-2008, 08:29 AM
Indeed it would. I'm a little hesitant about imposing sunset clauses without Torq's (and the rest of CLs' input) as this is really Torq's baby. I'll open up a thread for discussion with the CLs about this though so we can come up with a unified response.

Cheers Redrobes

Torq
07-12-2008, 08:42 AM
Hey man. I still haven't boarded the plane. To my mind if its got to do with the CWBP and both Ravs and Redrobes think its a good idea, then its a good idea. You both have histories with this project that speak for themselves. I concur with whatever you agree on as to when you forfeit your claim to do doing a map.

Torq

cmkinsac
08-31-2008, 12:44 AM
I want to continue watching this project, but this seems to be something I would love to expand upon once at least this area is finished. As anyone that has read my introduction post has found, I am making a mod for a game called Oblivion, and it seems like this would be the perfect world for it! If you guys wouldn't mind it, I would like to contribute some spots to it, and perhaps make it the world for my game. If you guys would rather not, I could always make my own, but this seems like it has had massive effort put into it, and would like for it to become a living world of it's own.

Midgardsormr
08-31-2008, 12:03 PM
It may take quite some time for anything to be considered "finished." It's a huge tract of land, and our efforts have thus far been spread out fairly thinly across it.

The Beastlands are getting some good development, as are parts of the Thrubmorton Fens. It is my hope that once I get relocated and resettled, I'll be able to put it more work through Groam, the Tawaren Basin, and the Jaiyat Highlands. How quickly that happens will depend on what kind of game my RPG group wants to play--if they're up for fantasy, then it'll get done really quickly.

Anything and everything you want to contribute is welcome! And I'll be looking forward to seeing what you do with your mod. I'm rather fond of Oblivion, so I'll definitely take a look.

Valarian
08-31-2008, 12:29 PM
There's a wiki for the project, you can always register and add to the detail of the Ansium region yourself. I've just added a section for the City States of Akron. There's a number of settlements there that could do with some detail. Want to detail The Lakes area?

Torq
09-01-2008, 03:27 AM
Hi cmkinsac

I'm a huge fan of Oblivion and committed son of the CWBP. The idea of the two being combined makes my pulse race. I agree with Mid that its unlikely we will reach a stage called "finished" anytime soon. The area is just too vast. Its because of that vastness that we hae concentrated on populating Ansium and giving it detail before we move on. There are literally thousands of areas crying out for mapping within the Ansium region. Feel free to choose on and just get going on a map. Why not take up Valarian's suggestion? Also Mid and I are connected with the two parts of Groam and we would appreciate any help.

Jump in. Whatever you do will be appreciated.

Torq

cmkinsac
09-01-2008, 03:31 AM
With the never really finishing the world thing, I was really only planning on using this region for my game. (at least for now) It would probably be expanded upon along with this, and I will probably be providing a couple maps within the next couple of weeks while I am creating level zones for the different areas of this place, placing down cities, etc. in Oblivion. (if you would like, I could send topographical views of the finished products later on)

alucard339
09-14-2008, 08:55 PM
I'm not sure where to put this so here it comes.

On the next region we decide to do, Torq or whosever in charge of that region should draw country base on the landscape instead of making a 25 grids like the first region. It would be much easier to work with from the creator point of view up to the wiki implementation (like when I try to do the world overview swapping images).

Just my 2 cents to have our next step a little bit more friendly-user for all.

Sea-U-Hall,
Alu.

Valarian
09-15-2008, 03:51 AM
I quite liked having the blank section to work with. Having defined borders isn't necessarily a good thing. It limits the person doing the map.

Torq
09-15-2008, 03:54 AM
Alu, do you mean actually drawing out the plitical borders of the various areas and having people choose an area each, rather than a square or rectangular region? If so doesn't that make for problems in that most maps are square which means you will, by definition, be mapping portions of other people's regions. This might create a continuity problem. I suppose you could leave those areas blank, blurred or shaded. Interesting idea. I's like to hear what others think.

Torq

jezelf
09-15-2008, 06:14 AM
hello.

This looks interesting. I wouldn't mind having a go at this sometime in the future. Looks like a good exercise to further my skills. Is there a posting of the finished or latest version with everyone's work somewhere?

cheers

Jez

Torq
09-15-2008, 08:02 AM
Welcome to the CWBP jezelf. The whole project is being put together as a WIKI with its own link on this board. All of the threads on this board represent WIPs of the areas being mapped in the project too. Before opening up another region of the world map for mapping we are concentrating on filling the regions that have been done with local maps. Feel free to dive in if you see an area you would like to do and start a thread with your WIP. Its that simple.

Torq

jezelf
09-25-2008, 02:32 PM
Feel free to dive in if you see an area you would like to do and start a thread with your WIP. Its that simple.

Torq

heh - sorry, My brain is even more simple. :? where am I diving?

Am I looking on the wiki for an area or is therea place on CG?
All I see on the wiki is texted descriptions of places - some with finished maps am I choosing from there?

I was thinking there would be a region like the one at the start of this thread (which all look like they are taken) - can you post a link to where I should be looking to choose from?

no rush as I've got other stuff to do first, but just wanted to know where to look.

Cheers
jez

Redrobes
09-25-2008, 03:02 PM
I would start with this list...

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/Temp/CG/Indexes/CWBP_Index.htm

this map (click for large version)...

...and have a look at some of the list links. If you wanted a new area thats not been done at all (dull brown ones) then just post a wip thread and start on it. If one has only ever been slightly mapped and then discarded then you can take that after posting that you would like to and then wait for about a week to see if theres any objections. Probably none tho. You can take any missing cities or towns or make up a new one if you so desire but there's so many with nothing mapped that its unlikely that you would need to unless you had a good story and a missing piece to fill in.

If you do start anything, try to keep with the thread naming convention and then it will automatically get indexed into the above thread at some stage.

Also, if you need any templates for the exact borders to the tile, or some basic 3D terrain (I know you will...) then just ask as I have them all chopped up and ready. You dont have to stick exactly to the tile but just check with neighbors if you want to change anything that might affect them.

EDIT -- The numbering for the tiles is a little odd. Heres a link to Torqs tile numbers...
http://www.cartographersguild.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2929&d=1206993074
...with extra numbers tacked on down the right liek this...
http://www.cartographersguild.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2958&d=1207253249

Steel General
09-25-2008, 03:30 PM
@RedRobes - Area 23 is actually mine now :)

Redrobes
09-25-2008, 03:50 PM
Sure, these images are out of date. It was just to show the extra numbering down the right hand side. The best source of who has what is from the WIP thread index as that's where the effort is being tracked. Even some of the brown tiles have notional owners who have done some text or mapping on them. They have just never got to a state thats even a basic WIP map for it.

Steel, your tile thread is in the index and the map is on the overview image. Dont worry :)