PDA

View Full Version : January/February 2012 Lite Challenge Entry: Jester's Staff Compass Rose by Jaxilon



Jaxilon
02-05-2012, 02:13 PM
I brainstormed for a while trying to figure out what to base this Rose on and I thought a Jester's Staff would be pretty cool. I figured it would work for a castle map or something along those lines.

I then sketched one up on paper, scanned it in and began the journey to bring it to life. I have not really done any vector art before so my intention is to create it as I usually do in Gimp and then use the trace function in Inkscape. Not sure if that does what I think it does but we will see. :) Even if it doesn't work like that I can always just use my end product from Gimp.

I start with a rough sketch, scan it, touch up and paint. I figured I would attempt a blow by blow account of how I did this in case anyone can learn from it or anyone sees a way I can save myself a step or two. I hope I don't bore anyone.

Step 1 - (scanned image - This is scaled down because, due to pixels I guess, it always comes out huge when scanned at 300dpi and for posting purposes I didn't think that was necessary.)
41910

Step 2 - I then desaturate and duplicate the layer a few times until it is the right darkness to work with. Merge the layers and then clean them up a bit (get rid of stray marks using erase or layer masks).
41911

Step 3 - I add textures and color on separate layers of course. In fact the image at this point consists of 8 layers give or take.
41912

Step 4 - It needs more and I wanted to include a nod to the Harlequin Motley often worn by Jesters so I created a background pattern. I also put a drop shadow for the Jester's Staff to give it more depth. Oh yeah, this needs to be a png for the transparency.
41914

Step 5 - Let's try using Inkscape to see if I can figure out how to vectorize this baby. (Well, after the trace which seems pretty straight forward, I have lost the transparent background.) I'll have to see if I can figure that out but here is the full blown deal out of Inkscape.
41916

This last image is the full size that I am working in but as you can see taking it into Inkscape I lost the transparent background. I'll have to figure out how to fix that.
I am also thinking about creating a borderline around the diamond pattern.
All in all, I'm pretty happy with how this is turning out, it's pretty close to what I imagined. I may play with the colors a bit more but that's just the little stuff.

atpollard
02-05-2012, 03:35 PM
Well crafted, but there is something creepy about that image.
... anything that evokes emotion can't be bad. :)

Jaxilon
02-05-2012, 04:07 PM
Hehe, well, Jesters were a little creepy if you ask me. I had thought about putting fangs on it but then I was afraid I might have nightmares :)

I think I figured out how to do the transparency now. "Export bitmap".

### Latest WIP ###
41918

Bogie
02-05-2012, 04:20 PM
Cool image, well done.

Jaxilon
02-06-2012, 07:03 PM
I was thinking about placing some more points on this but I'm not sure if it's better or not. Open to suggestions/thoughts.

### Latest WIP ###
41969

atpollard
02-06-2012, 09:00 PM
I think "better".

Jaxilon
02-06-2012, 10:03 PM
Changed the colors to something a little softer.

### Latest WIP ###
42001

razcor
02-07-2012, 05:42 AM
Wow, I definitely love it, scary and funny at the same time.

tilt
02-07-2012, 05:45 AM
lovely work Jax :)

Lukc
02-07-2012, 06:45 AM
Wow, this is pretty creepy ...

Wannabehero
02-07-2012, 06:05 PM
Beautiful and also very creepy as others have said. Very good work!

Bogie
02-09-2012, 12:14 PM
Yeah, I like the new color scheme much better. Great!

lostatsea
02-10-2012, 09:43 PM
I agree the new color scheme is better. IMHO more points would clutter it up. It's great as is ! you got my vote !!