PDA

View Full Version : Commission - Unnamed world

Ramah
02-06-2012, 04:19 PM
Hey there,

It's been some time since I posted something new so I thought I'd show what I am currently working on. I have a few others that I might post in the Finished Maps section soon.

This is a large map - several times larger than any I've done before. It's full on poster size at 300 DPI. I'm having to chop every element up in to bitesize chunks and then stitch them all together. For instance, the forests (done on TreeThing and currently with approximately 68,000 trees) span across 10 PSD files. :S But that was more to save TreeThing to be honest. The mountains were done in two PSD files - top and bottom.

Anyway, here is where I'm at. This image is 12.5% of full size.

Next up is detailed work in the wastelands section in the middle - the result of a catastrophic magical explosion decades ago.

Here is a snapshot at 100% to show a little bit of forest and specifically, some jungle, up close.

Thanks for looking.

Lukc
02-06-2012, 04:38 PM
WOW.

That would be all I would say, but it'd be too short. The vivid colour, the details, the contrasts, the mountains, that cliff ... wow!

Are you using a texture or a custom brush for the trees? And how are you getting the shadows under the trees?

torstan
02-06-2012, 04:38 PM
Very pretty! Looks like it's for a 24 by 36" poster? That's going to be gorgeous.

How much RAM does your old computer have? Will it take any more?

Mateus090985
02-06-2012, 04:40 PM
This is a very creative map! Congratulations for he amazing job!

Hai-Etlik
02-06-2012, 04:57 PM
Wow, my highest tree count (done using Inkscape's spray, unclump, and tweak tools and my custom restack and symbol randomize script) so far has been only around 3000-4000 trees.

Schwarzkreuz
02-06-2012, 09:13 PM
How do you crazy guys counts the trees?

Hai-Etlik
02-06-2012, 09:31 PM
How do you crazy guys counts the trees?

He feeds the parameters he wants and a mask of where he wants trees into a program that then generates the trees. I use a vector graphics program that keeps track of the all the elements in an image as distinct objects.

Schwarzkreuz
02-06-2012, 09:38 PM
Is it possible to put custom-made trees in such a program like the one he used? If yes, is there a link to this prog here?

jfrazierjr
02-06-2012, 09:46 PM
Just search for TreeThing here on the forum. It's a java based application someone else started and he took over developing(I THINK!!!)

Schwarzkreuz
02-06-2012, 10:03 PM
The Map is realy impressive, and the details are stunning. Are there Labels and so on comming? Or will it just be the Landscapes?

Jaxilon
02-06-2012, 11:32 PM
Sweetness Ramah, I'm happy to see something new from you. I have to say I love the Jungle vegetation. If you did that with Treething then I'm going to have to go another round with it because I clearly missed something.

Can't wait to see more, thanks for sharing your awesome stuff!

Ramah
02-07-2012, 05:16 AM
Thanks guys. :)

To answer some of the questions:

Lukc: As various people say later in the thread - I'm using TreeThing for the forests. I'm using the Vaniya Mixed brushset that I included with the program and the jungle brushes I also included - although I had to edit them somewhat as I believe some shades were missing or something. For the shadows I'm also using TreeThing, which places shadows beneath each tree but I'm also using several other layers, one of which is the template I use to generate the forest in TreeThing, all of which are filled in with a custom pattern that I made that is supposed to resemble some rough line shading.

Tostan: It's larger than that. A0 I think which is... umm.. 33" x 46"? Something like that. My PC has 2gb of ram so I guess it could take another 1gb before it reaches its cap as I'm running 32bit XP. The plan is to first get a new HDD so I can then get 64bit Windows 7 without losing anything I currently have installed, which would then allow me to utilise more ram. Well, something like that. :)

Schwarzkreuz: as the other guys say, I'm using a program. I'm not sure if the last version I uploaded does it or not, but when I generate a forest it gives me a count of the amount of trees in it. As all my forests span across 10 PSD's I was pretty lax with the adding and was rounding figures off. So 68k is approximate - give or take a thousand.
And yeah, I'll also be adding places and labels.

Jax - Yeah, I made the jungle using TreeThing, although to get the look I had to do quite a bit of post-imaging work in Photoshop on the generated layers. The program gives you four layers - shadows, trees, shades and masks - but the forests here have around a dozen layers and an extra four layers for the shadows. I also had to use a parameter in the program that has not been fully integrated yet or explained which is "Maximum Brush Width" I believe. Altering this fools the program into believing the actual brush images it reads are different to what they are and so the spacing of a forest is changed. So lowering this parameter will make the trees closer together - something I had to do a lot for the jungle.

ravells
02-07-2012, 05:27 AM
Utterly stunning, Ramah!

Djekspek
02-07-2012, 05:36 AM
wow wow wow! Great to see some work from you again. This is huge man, and absolutely stunning. I once did an A0 map and still remember the different files and stichting and overlapping them together ... it's a real challenge. I must wish you luck with the labelling as this will be another interesting challenge :) Can't wait to see the final result though... GL+cheers, DJ

tilt
02-07-2012, 06:12 AM
looking great Ramah as usual - so nice to see something from you again. What a great project. :)

jfrazierjr
02-07-2012, 09:33 AM
Would Rep, but can't.... looks great anyway....