PDA

View Full Version : J.B. Springs

pasis
02-09-2012, 12:58 PM
This is my first real attempt on city mapping and it came out pretty good. It was just as much work as I expected, but fun. In the last days I was fiddling with various small details and then I just had to call it finished as I could have played with it endlessly.
The hardest part was the houses (naturally), but on a good side I will be able to use them in the future projects.
I decided to name almost solely the manmade features and only in general level as itís quite busy already as it is. In case anyone wants to have a version without any labels, let me know.

EDIT: This is not a WIP anymore, but I just had to make a few changes based on latest comments on fields and the sea (I had been blind to few issues there). Attached a new version...

Veldehar
02-09-2012, 01:30 PM
I'm in love with this map. I will be looking to commission a city map in the next few months, if you take on projects I might have to look you up!

Lukc
02-09-2012, 02:34 PM
Awesome map! And the houses are, indeed, incredibliously detailed!

ravells
02-09-2012, 03:22 PM
Amazing detail on the houses, Pasis. As always, everything you touch turns to gold!

Ramah
02-09-2012, 04:11 PM
The texture master strikes again. Although having said that, I'm not really feeling it too much with those fields. But the buildings are amazing. Great stuff. :)

Robbie
02-09-2012, 04:20 PM
Wow, did you pull those buildings from Google Maps or something? That's amazing! Buildings remind me of Prague. Very nice.

Clercon
02-09-2012, 04:39 PM
I think I hate you Pasis for being so god damn talented! This map is absolutely amazing in all its details. Really great job!

ScotlandTom
02-09-2012, 04:50 PM
I was so anxious to see this map completed. It's wonderfully detailed and a pleasure to explore. Excellent work !

Larb
02-09-2012, 06:03 PM
I so wish I had these texture-fu powers. I really like this. My only critique is I think perhaps the water/sea should be a bit darker with less texture (to elaborate, this reminds me of looking at old cities like Florence and such via google maps and the water is always darker with less texture) but that is more a stylistic choice I think.

Jaxilon
02-10-2012, 01:05 AM
Very fine looking buildings indeed and another most excellent map from you. Thanks for sharing. I want to do a major city map but it's just so darn daunting all those little squares...*sigh* one of these days I'll bite it just to prove to myself how exhausting it will be.

pasis
02-10-2012, 01:09 AM
Thanks guys for all the kind words!!! Big thanks goes to the great textures I had (from Spiral Graphics, CG textures and few others).

@Ramah: The fields indeed gave me a bit of a gray hairs, but I just couldn't do them any better. Maybe I should have toned them down a bit...or maybe create a maining city next time with no room for fields.

@Larb: Maybe I will play with the water too. I thought I was done with the fiddling, but there is always room for improvements.

Motara
02-10-2012, 02:00 AM
Wow. I always have a tough time making my city maps look organic. Mine always seem to end up being in ridiculous grid configurations. >.<

pasis
02-10-2012, 03:09 AM
@Motara: The key here to make the city look organic is to create variable sized and shaped building blocks and then rotate them to break any remaining gridness.

By the way I update the map in the first post. I toned down the fields to blend them better with the surrounding and not to stand out that much. I also tweaked the water abit.

jfrazierjr
02-10-2012, 12:35 PM
Yea, this is great. The few pixels on the tops of some of these buildings in a dark color give the illusion of dormers and that REALLY sells the map and makes it look almost like snap-shot.

Bogie
02-10-2012, 03:01 PM
Excellent work, Very realistic.

RobA
02-10-2012, 03:13 PM
Nothing but complements from me, too. A great looking map that is just lush with detail. Makes me want to be able to zoom in even more...

-Rob A>

lostatsea
02-10-2012, 09:08 PM
I have to agree Most excellent !! Have a few points from the rep wand !

Katto
02-11-2012, 04:44 PM
My next featured map :)

arsheesh
02-12-2012, 03:54 PM
Yup, this one just got snagged to my inspiration folder. Just fantastic Pasis!

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Brandon
02-13-2012, 10:22 AM
The buildings are incredible!, I really like the farm land too. Must of been a hell of a job to this map! I am clueless as to how you guys make maps as amazing as you do! Fantastic!

pasis
02-13-2012, 12:38 PM
Thank you for all the praise and Rep! This one took me about a month to create and I'm glad you have liked it and it wasn't just for my own fun :)