PDA

View Full Version : January/February 2012 Lite Challenge Entry: Touching Circles

cfds
02-11-2012, 06:21 AM
This challenge provided me with an opportunity to use a syllable based "font" I developed in my spare time. It uses touching circles, so I started POVray to create a compass rose based on the same principle around five syllables.

### Latest WIP ###

Transparent variant:

Lukc
02-11-2012, 07:10 AM
Fascinating stuff ... what syllables did you base it on? English?

cfds
02-15-2012, 02:41 AM
Actually the "font" is not really suited for either. The basic structure is a large ring of four arcs in which for smaller rings (also made up of four arcs) is inscribed. Basically the last puzzle of Myst - Exile :P I decided to use the large circle to encode one vowel, the upper and left circles to endcode the leading consonant (or consonantal structure) and the right and lower circles describe the trailing consonant. The consonants themselves are mostly based upon those of Tolkien's elfish languages, e.g. grouped by articulation point, voice etc...
Thanks to some extra bits I can use the glyphs to approximate most German or English syllables but certain consonant blocks just won't go (like "spring": I can do "sping" and "pring" but not both. German consonant+st-endings [think "ernst" and nearly all second person singular verb endings] are also problematic).
But all this should probably go in its own thread...

Bogie
02-15-2012, 02:29 PM
Cool design, very nice!