PDA

View Full Version : Thraeton NG

bartmoss
02-12-2012, 05:02 PM
Since I have way too many half-completed worlds, I started consolidating some of them. I won't go into the background much, but I did decide to fully embrace the "meta setting" - all my worlds are parallel worlds of Earth, and in this case I am actually enhancing the similarities to our world a bit.

Old maps:

42189 42190

(You may recognize these from some of my earlier threads.)

WIP#1 of the new map, with the Earth's landmasses outlined in dashed yellow:

Needless to say, it's VERY unfinished. The "Europe" part consists of a bunch of translucnet shapes overlapping each other, Africa is just a tentative northern coast, and Asia/Asutralia doesn't exist at all yet. Antarctica is missind on the outline because I'm lazy.

bartmoss
02-14-2012, 01:27 AM
Slow progress: Added in the "neglected continent" map:

The colors have no meaning at this point.

bartmoss
02-15-2012, 12:28 AM
Very slow work on this map so far, but I think i am mostly happy with the "African" coastlines. I'll work on "Europe" and "Asia" next.

bartmoss
02-20-2012, 06:01 PM
Minor progress. I am finding inspiration for the coastlines won't come as easily as I wish.

Schwarzkreuz
02-20-2012, 06:20 PM
Ah its a bit lonely in this thread, so here I am.
The Idea to reshape the fundamental forms, of Earth is quiet an interesting approach exspacialy for Alternative Earth Settings. Are you palinning on doing a series of thoses?

bartmoss
02-20-2012, 06:38 PM
Thanks for dropping by! :)

I don't intend to create a series of alternate earths. However, the fundamental assumption underlying all of my worldbuilding is that all of the worlds I design are parallel earths, so in a way that's what I will automatically do. Think of that as some sort of meta-setting[1]. In this particular case, I am consolidating several of my worlds into one, because they are basically redundant to each other - covering similar themes - and because I figured it's better to have fewer worlds with more progress than more worlds with little progress. I do work on actual world designs for all of these, not just maps, and there's only so much time in my life... Unfortunately.

The maps I am basing this on - are my "twin continents", Enderra, Thraeton, and of course the "Neglected continent", that is, antarctica without ice sheets.

Enderra and Thraeton were in the first post, here are Twin Continents and Antarctica:

42408 42409

Twin Continents has the least direct influence on the map. I am taking some shortcuts - No plate tectonics as the basis for this - which is a problem in that having plates would actually make drawing coastlines either. But I want to go for "coolness factor" and aesthetics, rather than scientific accuracy.

[1] I actually have a rudimentary meta-setting in place... http://enderra.com/worlds/terra/

bartmoss
02-21-2012, 06:25 PM
WIP#5. Still struggling with my landmasses. I am fine with Enderra and Shadra, and the "(southwest)" continent, as well as Jinj and Osir. I severely dislike "(East)" and I am not entirely happy with the continent I tentatively named Avalon, especially the Bay Area.

bartmoss
02-26-2012, 04:44 AM
Minor changes, plus annotations / notes:

I've also imported the map into google earth to see it on a sphere. Screenshots:

You can use this link: http://files.pandemonium.de/fantasy2/thraeton.kml to see it in your own Google Earth.

bartmoss
02-27-2012, 05:39 PM
More slow progress.

Eilathen
02-28-2012, 06:17 AM
A very interesting project. I really dig your America analogue. Nice shape. Not so sure about the Europe-Asia-Africa thing. It's a bit too fancy for my taste (not sure how to put that in english so here goes in german: Ist mir etwas zu verzettelt...und zerbrochen. If that makes sense :D ). Anyway, looking forward to see how this will turn out.

bartmoss
02-28-2012, 06:44 AM
Verstehe - und hätte auch keine gute Variante auf Englisch ohne jetzt drüber nachzudenken.

"Too chaotic", maybe?

"Africa" is actually Antarctica without the ice sheet, they just happen to have similar shapes. I am quite fond of it. I think "Europe" is okay now, but for "Asia" I totally agree with you. I love big rifts, but somehow it just doesn't look natural at all. It still needs a lot of work. But I do think it's getting better.

(What I always do is put the current and the last WIP into one browser tab each in firefox, then use ctrl and pageup/pagedown to switch between them. That helps me see what is better and what's worse.)

"North/South America" are from a map which I created from the ground up using plate tectonics, the rest isn't (with the exception of "Africa", which is of course based on Real Earth). And I guess that's what shows.

Thanks for your feedback, always love to hear what others think about my stuff. :-)

miinstrel
02-28-2012, 11:32 AM
I love the Africa section... Not really feeling the Thailand/Vietnam part.

So you love the western continent and used plate tectonics to create it. You dislike the eastern continent and *didn't* use plate tectonics... I'm just sayin ;)

I think the Asia section is too compacted compared to the rest of the world. The other continents are nicely spread out and flowing. They look alive.

bartmoss
02-28-2012, 02:09 PM
Yes, you have it exactly right. I think it does prove to me that plate tectonics, even simplified and faked, make for MUCH better maps.

miinstrel
02-28-2012, 02:43 PM
How did you go about faking the plates? I'm curious about how that influenced the map vs. a more off the cuff approach.

bartmoss
02-28-2012, 03:04 PM
Well, faking as in my plate tectonics aren't / weren't very good. I'd basically eyeball it and make it look somewhat plausible. I'm not doing "real science". The original Thraeton tectonics are early in this thread: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?4221-Thraeton-Map

miinstrel
02-28-2012, 04:03 PM
Got it. That's cool, i like how comprehensive you get. I probably won't take the same approach with my current map because well... My plates would be insane with how many mountains I have.

Maybe if you detach Australia it will feel right to you? Or maybe detach asia? Not sure, just throwin ideas out

bartmoss
02-28-2012, 05:32 PM
I really don't know what would make it look more natural. Don't want it to look even more Earthlike than it already does, either. I think I will just have to play with it, it will fall into place. But I always appreciate feedback and ideas - so, thank you :)

Current WIP:

And, no, still not happy with it, though I do like it a bit better than the last WIP.

bartmoss
03-07-2012, 02:35 AM
Next iteration. I think "Asia" is much better now, but too similar to the "Caribbean" so I will change the later.

Lukc
03-07-2012, 04:55 AM
You know what might make it awesome - or at least give you some further ideas - is to flip it and see what comes out. When you do art, flipping it horizontally and vertically is a good idea to see how the whole is "balanced". Usually the view you have is the one you're comfortable with, but there might be balance issue that subconsciously annoy you. When you flip a work of art, it makes you focus on it in a new and different way, bringing possible problems to the forefront.

Klaus van der Kroft
03-07-2012, 08:22 AM
Very nice work. I particularly like the way Shadra looks.

One idea I'd add would be fjords in the southern tip of Not-South America. The real-world version -which I visit several times per year- is a maze of inlets, canals, fjords, cliffs, and bays, caused by glaciar movement (native legend has it that the region was the battleground between two enormous sea serpents, that coiled and fought together so hard that the world broke down under them).

Since in your map it is still very close to Not-Antartica and one could assume the climate and geography is similar to the real one, I'd figure it could be equally plagued with fjords.

bartmoss
03-07-2012, 08:40 AM
Thanks guys. Lukc, the mirroring-idea is good, thank you. I will try that.

Klaus, yeah I agree it should be more fjordy! The tip kinda sorta has some hints of them, but it needs to be more, at least the south coast. I've mostly focussed on the east, lately, which is the most dire need of work.

Also, thanks for the anecdote about the sea serpents, that's a cool explanation that I'll surely steal at some point.