PDA

View Full Version : [WIP] The Empires of Try & Error

Schwarzkreuz
02-15-2012, 05:46 PM
Ok, well I have a long list of unfinished WIPs here, but I tried to make a map with the popular satelite style that a lot of people are doing on CG. I realy want to try a lot of different ways to enrich my approach on doing maps. The map is more or less random. It was very interesting to render the sea with the emboss, but have to be carefull to not overdo it.

maxsdaddy
02-15-2012, 10:28 PM
Not to be picky, but are any of the maps related? All of them look nice but could use a bit of green color to offset the blues whites and browns that seem to overwhelm the color schemes. Maybe I missed the point and technique was more the issue, but a little complementary color would make these pop.

Schwarzkreuz
02-15-2012, 10:53 PM
Well its WIP not finished, forest will come soon. This is more like a speedpainting-Map.

Schwarzkreuz
02-16-2012, 12:50 AM
If anybody didnt notice till now, I am a fan of wastelands (Woodkid´s Song Wasteland in my player while painting) But I also have some sraps of Trees. Ok here is the final Landscape Update, next cities, symbols and labels.

bartmoss
02-16-2012, 03:32 AM
It's a nice style! I do feel like your latest WIP lacks... focus? Contrast? it seems a little too blurry, is what I am trying to say.

Schwarzkreuz
02-16-2012, 09:17 AM
Sorry, I dont understand what you mean. I took out about 500% Emboss depth in the ocean so they dont interferre with tha land so much, does this looks blurry?

ravells
02-16-2012, 09:35 AM
My goodness, I think it looks stunning! Great work, you've really got the most out of the tutorials.

Schwarzkreuz
02-16-2012, 03:59 PM
The tuts here have been a great source of inspiration. I realy learned a lot.
Before I found the CG it was more or less a hobby, till i decided to do the Arden map in bigger style.

Katto
02-16-2012, 07:56 PM
The "Empire of Try" has won :) This map looks fantastic so far!

Schwarzkreuz
02-17-2012, 10:52 PM
Now I slowly progress on the texturing of the map, as hopefully one can see, i have planted small trees and bushes to mark areas with a bit more water and rain. Also dry area plants in the south and middle of the map. There is also one Swamp in the MiddleWest.

What are you thinking about the terrain, does it males sense?

Schwarzkreuz
02-17-2012, 11:34 PM
Oh well I dont know about the contrasts. I have rise them here up but still unsure about it.

Ian Pikklock
02-18-2012, 11:40 AM
It looks pretty good :) If find it interessting that at sime areas the coastlines seem to have higher terrain than the the inner land, I have no idea if that is "realsitic" or not though.
It also reminds me a bit of Westeros, but thats probably because I've been watching so much Gameof Thrones lately ;).

Schwarzkreuz
02-18-2012, 05:20 PM
There are realworld example where mountains keeps the water from flowing inside. Such can also happen from Global Warming and so on, so the once wider beaches and ground area vanished into the sea.

I think every continent that looks like america looks like Westeros becouse of the 2 part form.

maxsdaddy
02-22-2012, 10:22 PM
Still keeping an eye on this WIP, and it's looking even better. Now would kindly add some towns, roads, and other signs of civilization already! ;) Kidding aside, good work.

Schwarzkreuz
02-22-2012, 11:18 PM
Yes I will go on, I guess the Genre will be Post-Industrial-Long-Past-Apocalypse-Mad-Max-Dystopian-Survival-Horror?-Sci-Fi-Non-Hight-Fantasy-Mesh-Up
And also, yes Towns and Labels soon.

Lukc
02-23-2012, 03:11 AM
I think it looks like a big-nosed turkey-necked monarch with a white crown staring west ... but that's just me :P

Schwarzkreuz
02-23-2012, 09:23 AM
Congratulations. You are the first one who had seen the hidden cartoon portrait. Its mr. Burns from simpsons as an evil king. Well dire Lukc, choose your prizw :)

Schwarzkreuz
02-24-2012, 02:21 PM
Ok, Texture and Icons done.

Schwarzkreuz
02-24-2012, 07:35 PM
Ok I didnt liked how the compassrose was integrated so I maked it new.

It now shows atripplet of Gasmasks in the centre and some gasmaskwearing Angels at bothside holding Siegesbändschen.
oh I just realized that I used the colors of the German Flagg....

Lukc
02-26-2012, 03:54 AM
It looks good, the compass rose. :) Fits in well. Only thing, you might want to age the painted gasmasks a little bit. They don't fit with the old rose.

Is a Seedlung like a little seed of a city? :P

Engris
02-26-2012, 04:02 AM
Congratulations. You are the first one who had seen the hidden cartoon portrait. Its mr. Burns from simpsons as an evil king. Well dire Lukc, choose your prizw :)
It actually does look alot like that lol...

Schwarzkreuz
02-26-2012, 02:48 PM
It looks good, the compass rose. :) Fits in well. Only thing, you might want to age the painted gasmasks a little bit. They don't fit with the old rose.

Is a Seedlung like a little seed of a city? :P

I did write Siedlung, which means settlement, which is indeed a seed of a city.

EDIT: I will pause this map for a while, and finished it later. I like to do other things first so dont wonder if this takes on longer.