PDA

View Full Version : [region 1][map 2 & 3] Chedalbur

DarkOne
04-04-2008, 12:04 AM
This will be the thread for the development of map 2 of region 1 ( http://www.cartographersguild.com/showpost.php?p=16440&postcount=86 )

Seeing the area has a large inland sea and lake, along with smaller low depressions, I planning to place some bogs or cold swamps in the area.

NeonKnight
04-04-2008, 05:23 AM
Here's what I can do:

DarkOne
04-04-2008, 10:43 AM
This is the eastern part of the kingdom. kingdom name to be announced.

octopod
07-15-2008, 05:19 PM
Is anyone still doing this part? If not, I'd love to have a crack at it.

If so, I've got a few geographical/hydrological suggestions. The bogs or swamps make absolute sense, especially with that big area of water, but that looks like a shallow Lake Okefenokee to me more than an inland sea. Thus, I'd propose that there be a large river running mainly north-to-south out of area 3 (I'll check this in a moment; if not, maybe out of Terra Incognita to the north), feeding the Thrubmorton Fens to the south and also leaking some water into the two lake areas. The area around them would then be a bog, with slightly higher elevation. What do you think?

Second, the piece of land running from center north to southwest should be more mountainous, based on what area 1 looks like. This should be a bit of a mountain spine, not necessarily very tall but at least elevated above the bogs in the center south.

octopod
07-15-2008, 05:38 PM
Or -- wait, am I dumb and there's already a complete elevation map of the entire place?

ravells
07-15-2008, 05:39 PM
The deal is you register your interest in the map on the 'abandoned maps' thread and then if the original author doesn't claim it within seven days, you are free to go, Octopod!

Redrobes
07-15-2008, 06:49 PM
Or -- wait, am I dumb and there's already a complete elevation map of the entire place?Yes - it was all generated with fractal terrains. The data was exported and we have all of the tiles with height map info. If you get the tile - and DarkOne has been *very* dark of late... then ping again and I can supply it or some derivative of it like a contour map or something. Do you have any particular software in mind that will use it ?

BTW - Bog land... good call, heh heh ;)

octopod
07-15-2008, 10:25 PM
No, I don't have any good software to generate terrain or anything. I can work directly on the contour map though; that's pretty excellent.

I have major questions regarding the overall layout of this region and Terra Incognita, though. Can I ask them here, or should I PM you or look in some kind of FAQ thread first?

Midgardsormr
07-15-2008, 10:50 PM
We don't really have much in the way of a FAQ at this point. The project's been kind of ad hoc so far--we've addressed questions as they were raised, and everyone's generally made their own decisions as they saw fit. If you have questions about the project at large, it might be best to just start a new thread.

octopod
07-16-2008, 10:35 PM
On second thought, I don't want this tile, so never mind. I'll edit this message if I decide to take some other abandoned region to map, but I'm not sure yet -- I may lurk and map small regions for a while.

jezelf
09-26-2008, 08:15 AM
Anyone doing this area? I'll pick it up otherwise

cheers

jezelf
09-26-2008, 08:16 AM
I'll have a go on this. looks a bit forgotten.

any more detail on this area?

Torq
09-26-2008, 10:47 AM
Great to have you on board jezelf. I think you've gone about it in exactly the right way. Thanks for your interest. Give it a little time and if nobody jumps up and says "hey I'm mapping that" its yours.

I look forward to seeing how you enliven those blank areas.

Torq

Redrobes
09-26-2008, 08:21 PM
Anyone doing this area? I'll pick it up otherwise

cheersWhoo hoo - Neighbor ! Heh heh !

jezelf
09-27-2008, 11:34 AM
DarkOne got in touch - I think he'll be getting back to this soon.

DarkOne
09-28-2008, 02:10 AM
Yep, I am back again.

I seemed to have lost the data files for the area 2 and 3. Could I get the base data for these 2 areas, such as height maps, climate, etc.

Redrobes
09-28-2008, 09:47 AM
Yep, I am back again.

I seemed to have lost the data files for the area 2 and 3. Could I get the base data for these 2 areas, such as height maps, climate, etc.Yes, will do - can you gimme a short while, theres lots to catch up on. Ill edit this post and put them in - remind me in a few days if they aren't here !

Here we go. Usual disclaimer - use these as you see fit, you dont have to stick to them and should edit them if you feel like it. Provided in case they help etc.

Height (inc under sea), Height (above sea), Light, Color (tile extents), Example relief just as a guide. I am not sure that the hills are quite as high as these tho. Check with neighbors maps for continuity - one of them is me in this case :)

Wrong maps... doh... lets try that again shall we....
Bugger thats the wrong ones too... hold on - get my head in gear in a mo...

DarkOne
09-28-2008, 10:13 AM
No worries. :)

Well consider I have been MIA for about 8 months, I sure you be quicker than me. :D

DarkOne
10-02-2008, 12:55 PM
Thanx Redrobes, do you have the maps for area 3 too?

Here is the proposed kingdom I building for a powerful ruthless non-human race, masters in necromancy (undead to do their bidding), rulers of the treacherous swamps.

Boundaries:
Northern: just extends into the icy wastelands to the north
Eastern: includes what seems to be a mountain range running north-south, which bends westwards at the bottom of area 3. (need the maps of area 3 to check position)
Southern: from southern tip of eastern mountains connects to inland sea, with boundary cutting through the middle of the lakes and swamps. Currently the boundary runs through the hills just north of Mullion (area 7) before connecting the inland sea.
Western: actual boundary excludes the no-man zone (pink) between this kingdom and Moab. Scattered battles take place between the Moab undead and their enslavers of this kingdom.

Basic characteristics of the kingdom
Mostly cold swamps/bogs in the low lands, with tundra in the highland, snow covers mountains, and finally the barren ice/snow in the north.

Redrobes
10-02-2008, 01:08 PM
Yes - do you want me to put them in here or are you starting a separate region 3 WIP thread ?

DarkOne
10-02-2008, 02:39 PM
Thinking maybe to combine the two thread and retitling this thread to [region 1][map 2 & 3] Chedalbur (Che-dal-bur) as the kingdom will easily span two maps at this latitude. Then the maps for area 3 can be placed here too. Alucard and myself have come with an idea at the beginning, and I still going with the original idea with a few changes.

Redrobes, I need some info about the very northern piece of your map, so I can work it into the background history of the Chedalbur kingdom.

PS: What resolution should the maps be?

Redrobes
10-02-2008, 04:24 PM
Files above for tile sector 3

My tile 7 is called the lands of Thrubmorten and are harsh and tough region where there are no big cities or luxuries unless bought from passing merchants. Its a trading region where the towns are providing safe lodging for caravans and travelers who pass through. The lower ground is marshy swamplands which are infested with lizard men and men have taken to the uplands where its cold and the soil is poor. There are some big roads passing throughout the region which are maintained and protected by soldiers and some cavalry. The towns are usually set with a palisade of wood though it seems Fenridge - one of the bigger castles is currently sporting a fine stone outer wall. The buildings are log or stone with mainly thatch or timber roofs. To the south are more open grasslands but these are the dominion of Centaur which also dislike the lizard men. There are few other races in the region - just a few halfling in a small town and those who travel as adventurers. The towns are compact and theres not too much in the way of buildings between the towns which are about two days distance by mule trot.

Going north there is the large lake which in the fen lands is dangerous. On the west side there is a route north and one on the far right which is a main passage to your area from mine.

Theres a 3D map of the whole region with a free viewer so you can see what it looks like in the Fentor Cross thread. Only a few areas have been mapped but within those its got a bit more detail than most. Best to look at the index for map threads and wiki for more info or ask for anything else specific.

DarkOne
10-03-2008, 08:05 AM
Thanx for the info Redrobes and for the areas maps. They are a great help.

I was correct that there is a mountain range on the eastern side of area 3.

I going to join area 2 and 3 together to form one map for easier editing.

Arcana, can you rename this thread to [region 1][map 2 & 3] Chedalbur and either merge or delete the other thread called [region 1][map 3] as it is no longer needed.

RobA
10-03-2008, 12:19 PM
@DarkOne-

Renamed, merged and redirected, as requested.

-Rob A>

DarkOne
10-06-2008, 08:30 AM
RobA, thanx for the merge and rename.

Well after a weekend of great fun, I got some time to work on the maps.

Redrobes, I just noticed that the maps you supplied for me have different height scales for area 2 and area 3. Is it possible to remove the above maps (1024x1024) and replace them with maps (2048x1024) containing both areas.

Redrobes
10-09-2008, 06:11 PM
Ok I have redone them with a script which is the same for both. I.e. they ought to line up and match in values. You may need a browser refresh - ctrl F5.

DarkOne
10-10-2008, 12:23 AM
Thanx Redrobes, now I can clearly see where the hills and mountains are. Appreciate this very much.

DarkOne
10-10-2008, 08:21 AM
NeonKnight, do you have the climate, temperature maps for area 3 as you provided for area 2 in post #2?

DarkOne
10-10-2008, 12:39 PM
After glueing the height and light maps of area 2 & 3 together to form single maps of the kingdom, I can clearly see the mountain ranges, iced caps and glaciers, lakes, etc. The kingdom of Chedalbur will have large glaciers, snow and ice, which would provide large amount of water to flow towards the see every spring and summer. This water has to get to the sea to the west, so is it possible I make a huge river that flows through maps 1, 4, 6, 7 and 8 in addition to my map 2+3. See attached map.

I am create a kingdom which is controlled by a reptile type creature that evolved out of cold swamps, lakes and marshes of the region (map 2 and 3). They love their swamp and cold mountainous terrain.

Redrobes is it possible to steal piece of land north of the swamp into the kingdom I am creating, else I just I can draw the boundary through the hills just north of Mullion. Please advice.

Clercon can I do a land grab north of the wetland and wetlands in the NW corner of your map for the kingdom.

Alucard we need to rip a rive through the Still Lake connecting the sea and the great lake in area 2.

Redrobes
10-10-2008, 01:56 PM
I don't mind what you want to map but it should keep with what already has been mapped or detailed in any text so far. You can put the boundary through the death chaser swamp if you like. The roads and town names should exist tho as there has been text written about them.

The most northerly area which I have mapped a bit is in that region under this thread.
http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2437

if you want to expand on then then go ahead.

Death chaser fen is a dangerous lizard man infested swampy area where the water is rising ever so slowly and the old road through the old Mere fort is now impassable so a new Mere fort has been established with a road to Mullion.

So as long as that is in place and the area does not become peaceful sylvan elf lands then you can annex that area.

Nobody has done much on the other side near to Roebuck Castle either. There were some plans to detail some ideas about an underground river connection which passed underneath Roeborder ridge and allowed the water to escape to the sea. We had some interesting ideas about a cave system down there with adventuring possibilities of protecting boats as they pass through the caves and lock system there.

DarkOne
10-11-2008, 12:24 AM
Redrobes thanx for the info.

Don't worry it will not become peaceful elven meadows, the fens and swamps will remain a deadly place, considering it will also contain Chedalbur undead troops along with the lizardmen, and other swamp nasties. The new race will have an influence over the lizardmen if they in the mood to do so as they sort of related to the lizardmen, but most of the time care less what the lizardmen do providing they don't interfere with citizens of Chedalbur.

Chedalburians (native citizens of Chedalbur) are very hardy race, born out of the cold swamps, evolving into a powerful magical flying race. They enjoy their swamps and live in harmony with them, guarding them ruthlessly mostly with the aid of undead troops they created from the fallen. Magic abilities are generally life & death, cold, weather & nature based. Spell casters tend to be druid/sorcerers. They seldom involve themselves in politics of the outside world, but do keep an eye on their neighbour, always ready to defend against an invasion. Trading with other kingdoms is kept to the edge of the kingdom.

So in annexing the land mass with the swamps, with Chedalbur border cutting through the swamps and fens itself. Mullion town/village would be a safe trading post between the kingdom and Thrublanders within Chedalbur. Hawker Point could be safe haven resting place for those travelling from the west on their way to Mullion.

I thinking of putting a huge underground river travelling under Still Lake connecting the lake with the sea as it is the narrowest land mass. The water level never changes as the lake is connected to the river below.

Redrobes
04-12-2009, 04:55 PM
Bryguy asking for a pic of the relief map for Tile2... so here it is.

Redrobes
11-09-2009, 06:43 PM
Looking at the map of Ansium I think its time we filled in the few remaining holes. So I mapped this tile and I intend to map all the other blank ones too. I just want to get it covered now after two years or so.

So if anyone has any hints or suggestions about this map then do shout. I can redo it as its almost all script driven. At mo the edges don't quite line up. If anyone wants to add some text to the map or whatever then have a pop at it but if you can keep it on a layer so we can update the map then that would be easier than redoing the text.

industrygothica
11-11-2009, 08:40 AM
Looking at the map of Ansium I think its time we filled in the few remaining holes. So I mapped this tile and I intend to map all the other blank ones too. I just want to get it covered now after two years or so.

So if anyone has any hints or suggestions about this map then do shout. I can redo it as its almost all script driven. At mo the edges don't quite line up. If anyone wants to add some text to the map or whatever then have a pop at it but if you can keep it on a layer so we can update the map then that would be easier than redoing the text.

Excellent. I'll take 27 to help out, unless you've got your heart set on it.

-IG

Redrobes
11-11-2009, 02:30 PM
Excellent. I'll take 27 to help out, unless you've got your heart set on it.-IGYou go right ahead. I am only just trying to get the map covered for the areas not gettin any lovin.

Redrobes
11-12-2009, 08:36 PM
Messing about to get Map3 out. Playing with some new ideas which worked out ok. Still learning how to drive GTS...

industrygothica
11-12-2009, 09:53 PM
You're a genius.

I've got a thread started for area 27 in the WIP forums... figured it'd get more feedback over there.

-IG

Ascension
11-13-2009, 12:09 AM
I like what you've done with the river valleys. Interesting.

Redrobes
11-13-2009, 07:54 AM
Well its a bit of a botch job really as I didn't tell it about whats the other side of the borders so its made rivers which head off to the nearest edge so they are not lining up very well with anything else - including my tile 2 image. Also I am running from the law with the obvious river violation there. But its better than the plain ole brown tile.

I was playing with a new idea to cut down on these little pools of water that I keep getting. Because I run a full water flow on top then anywhere where there is a local minima I will get a pool unless I turn on the permeability or evaporation and hope that the amount of these beats the rainfall. Now in cold areas the rain is quite high and the evap is low. It would be better for the program to cut a channel out and unload this water into the channels that get to the sea. So I found a way to do that and on the preview it was all clear but there must have been some small amount of water left in it because the texturer has picked that up and put some small pools in all over the place. A bit more tweaking and I think I can finally rid myself of this local minima pool problem. It has a nice side effect of generating longer and thinner rivers too which is a bonus.

waldronate
11-13-2009, 09:19 AM
The lazy man's solution is to do a global basin fill, find the difference (the parts that would be full of water) and fill all of the parts that are less than some number of data samples as land while keeping the larger areas as water. That way you'll get the advantage of a first pass that provides you with all of the larger bodies of water as well as filling in the tiny pits that are the bane of most water connectivity algorithms.

Just my two cents.

Redrobes
11-13-2009, 01:37 PM
I took a look at the basin filling algorithm and I agree that it would help but I also think I am doing quite a lot of that math in the process of just doing the water flow so I am thinking that I should fix up the single pixel issue by arbitrarily adding some height to the low pixel.

My fluid flow will automatically breech the rim of a full basin and it ought to start eroding it. I think my issues have been in the area that if the water exits out of the top at about the rate it evaporates or somehow rounds down or something like that then its just not causing it to punch a decent sized hole in the side to let it flood out and wash away the bank. What I need also is for static water to drop sediment and then it would rise up and overflow all by itself. But I have found a neat way to mimic that semi automatically which does seem to work ok. I'll investigate and add some more lines of code to the sim if I can work out a stable process.

I think if I had a climate model that varies the rain fall more dramatically then I think there would be times where it pours down momentarily so that it overflows a lot and then dries up a bit for a while. That variation might be needed to stop this steady state thing going on.

Redrobes
11-13-2009, 05:59 PM
Been playing some more - cos I cant resist... made a few code changes etc. I think this one is better and has less of those pot holes but its not quite perfect. I need to keep playing really.

DarkOne
12-31-2009, 08:32 AM
Well I don't have time to build maps, I still have some time to write up the Kingdom of Chedalbur. Here is some of it so far.

==============================================
Chedalbur

The kingdom of Chedalbur is the north western territory of Ansium. Spanning from the cold swamps in the south to the icy north pole in the north, the great ocean of the west to the boundary of the mighty mountain range in the east.
The Chedal, a reptilian race, are the rulers of this cold kingdom. They fiercely protect their kingdom from outsiders, restricting them to the trading outposts just within the Chedalbur's borders. Stories told at the outposts' taverns have a common theme: those who do not heed the warnings of not travelling further into Chedalbur are said to never return. Those who trade with the Chedals at the outposts have said the Chedals are magical in nature, having powers to control nature (climate, weather, beast and plants) and the dead.
For many millennium Chedalbur has also been known as The Kingdom of the Dead by the populace of the border kingdoms to the south, east and west of Chedalbur. For those who have barely survived battles and wars against the Chedal, have reported the Chedalbur's militia consisting of Chedal sorcerers, druids, warriors, beasts and minion races amongst the dead: skeletons, zombies, ghouls, and many other deadly forms. The most horrifying and devastating weapon of the Chedal militia is it's ability to quickly rebuild it's troops numbers and increase it's size by animating the dead of battlefield. The size of Chedalbur's army is unknown, for no one knows how many of the dead is animated nor the vast dead hidden below the surface ready to rise to to the surface to become Chadalbur's loyal troops.
Since the last attempted invasion from Moab over a millennium ago Chedalbur has been at peace with it's neighbouring kingdoms. Though a simple special agreement treaty exists with the kingdom of Baom, that the dead of Chedalbur's territories also belongs to Chedalbur.

History

The Chedal are an ancient race evolving from simple flying lizard like creatures that occupied the cold swamps and bogs of the region over many millennium. Becoming sentient they formed primitive tribes defending their cold watery territories. Over the next couple millennium the Chedal's territory expanded northwards and eastwards as a result of tribal infighting over tribal territories. To the north they eventually claimed the entire north western land mass including most of the polar ice cap. To the east they discovered a huge valley containing another large cold lake that they claimed as their own.
During the expansion period the Chedal master the art of magic, perfecting as time went by. The various regions began specializing their magical arts according to their environments they lived in. In the northern region (the icy mountains, tundra and forest) the Chedal mastered controlling the weather (including ice) to allow them to survive the harsh icy world. By controlling weather they created warmth islands to live in comfortable. In the eastern region (the forests) the Chedal mastered controlling the beasts and plants. In the south western region (swamps and bogs) the Chedal mastered controlling the water, disease and poison.
As time went by villages, towns and cities formed to give rise to a social structure of rulers. Many battles took place amongst the Chedal clans, though they lived largely independent of each other. Eventually five clans formed with a few smaller tribes amongst the larger clans.
About five millennium ago, the other sentient races began to appear at the south eastern boundaries of the Chedal's territories building settlements nearby. Firstly a few little skirmishes took place when the Chedal decided to chase away the settlers from their borders. Over time the battles grew bigger until Chedal realized there would one day be an full invasion into their territories. The five clan rulers came together holding meetings over a number of days. At the end of the meetings, the decision was taken to form a single kingdom containing all the clan and tribal territories for the best defence of the Chedal.
The new formed kingdom and capital would be named as a Chedalbur, after the Chedal race. For best defence from invaders, thus the large city in the northern most large swamp was chosen as the capital to house the new Chedalbur High Council, the seat of power for Chedalbur. The Chedalbur High Council consisted of five ruler seats, where each seat representing one of five territories and had equal ruling powers. The smaller tribal territories were absorbed into the five clan territories. For each territory, the territory rulers would to elect a representative to serve on the Chedalbur High Council for a maximum of ten years. To strengthen the militia, experts from all five territories are brought together in each platoon. With increased threats to Chedalbur, the grand masters of magic began focusing their energies on animating the dead, in order to have a ready army at any given notice. Also an army that needed no feeding or to be kept busy at times of peace.
By the time the first full army invaded into Chedalbur from the east, the army of the dead had been created. With the aid of the animated dead the Chedalburians managed to destroy the invading army before they could get through the dense forest to the lake. The scatter invaders was hunted down until the Chedalbur border. After the first failed invasion of Chedalbur, the few surviving invaders who managed to escape Chedalbur, gave Chedalbur it's other name of Kingdom of the Dead, after facing an army of the dead. The loses on Chedalbur's side was also huge, though mostly being the dead. Research continued in perfecting the art of controlling the dead and raising of the dead troops. To use the fallen of the battlefield to strengthen and rebuild the Chedalbur dead army.

Moab invasion
The last attempted invasion into Chedalbur was from the army of Moab, some time before the meteorite landed in the Crystal Lake of Moab. As punishment for trying to invade Chadalbur, the Chedalburians laid to waste the border towns and villages including Glenwood Springs, Axtell, Clawson and Basalt, and destroying large city called Cedar City using the raised dead troops of Moab. Hearing news of the fall of Cedar City and the Chedalbur militia moving towards the cities of Kingston, Huntington and Huta, while growing stronger with the dead of Moab, the ruler of Moab declared a truce with with Chedalbur.
After the declaration of peace, the new south western border of Chedalbur was established starting from the northern most point of the bay to the east of Kingston, moving northwards through High Wood to Ooze Lake to the south eastern side of Danger Wood though to the west of Danger Wood and finally to the eastern most point of the bay north of Glenwood Springs. The territory increase of Chedalbur was the first since the first settlers arrived beyond Chedal's borders. After the war a new trading village was established on the shore of Lake Ooze. The village was named Keystone and eventually became a town.

Geography

To be done...