PDA

View Full Version : World Pictures

ravells
03-31-2008, 03:46 PM
Here are the isocs:

First one is of the whole world (altitude).
Second is of the section (altitude)
Third: is of the section (climate)
Fourth is of the section (rainfall)
Last is of the section (temperature)

To be honest, I'm not really sure how useful these are now!

NeonKnight
03-31-2008, 05:57 PM
I'll take areas 21, 22, and 24 :P

Oh, and I guess 6 as well.

Also, here are some major rivers as shown by FT.

Airith
04-04-2008, 02:51 AM
I wanted a thread that had all the world pictures together, instead of searching through the other thread for them... Here they are:

First is the normal view, then with continental shelves, a 20-sided dice view, and a boxed area of the current region we are mapping.

Everything is made by NeonKnight, and I think some of the views are by ravells and Torq.

If I missed any, please PM me... or just post :)

Colour map by Redrobes (http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/Temp/CG/ThinkBig/World/World_Color1.png)

Airith
04-04-2008, 02:54 AM
Spherical views: North, South, North Gaia, South Gaia

Airith
04-04-2008, 02:56 AM
"Following is the Mean Temperature map, and then the average Rainfall (light green = driest to orange=wettest.)" - NK

"Extra facts:
Circumference: 25,200 miles
Highest Peak/Lowest Ocean 30,000 FT
Axial Tilt 20 degrees (can change to whatever, this affects of course temperatures)
Temperature based on Earth Orbit (base appears to be around 59 Degree Farhenhiedt)
Average Rainfall is 51 inches per year." - NeonKnight

Airith
04-04-2008, 02:57 AM
These look great NeonKnight, without you this project would still be in the thought process :D

helium3
04-08-2008, 07:20 PM
"Following is the Mean Temperature map, and then the average Rainfall (light green = driest to orange=wettest.)" - NK

"Extra facts:
Circumference: 25,200 miles
Highest Peak/Lowest Ocean 30,000 FT
Axial Tilt 20 degrees (can change to whatever, this affects of course temperatures)
Temperature based on Earth Orbit (base appears to be around 59 Degree Farhenhiedt)
Average Rainfall is 51 inches per year." - NeonKnight

How did you produce those maps?

NeonKnight
04-08-2008, 10:22 PM
How did you produce those maps?

Those maps were produced by myself with ProFantasy's Fractal Terrains (http://www.profantasy.com/products/ft.asp) based of the wonderful WILBUR software by fellow Guildmember Joe Slayton (Waldonrate).

waldronate
06-06-2008, 03:52 AM
I was comparing the FT output with a sample Google Maps output. I learned not to believe the !@#)(*& perspective globe projection that Google Earth uses.

Comparing the world map with an earth map shows roughly European area in extent.

I also did an image with the original blocks overlaid on top. It was instructive (I recall that it's been discussed before in a general way). The blocks are about 435 miles high. The bottom of blocks on the bottom row are about 370 miles wide. The tops of blocks in the top row are about 190 miles wide. The original estimate of 600x600 miles per block was way off assuming an Earth-sized world.

I'm not sure that this matters in absolute terms for this effort, but it could lead to issues if the effort is expanded using the same globe.

Sigurd
06-06-2008, 11:06 AM
I was comparing the FT output with a sample Google Maps output.

Thank you so much! I was finding the 600mile square really daunting. I'd rather we stick to whatever accuracy we can keep.

Sigurd

waldronate
06-06-2008, 06:19 PM
There is some shape distortion in a conformal and/or equidistant projection compared to the original base map, meaining that things don't look as you might expect when comparing the maps to the globe. Ah well, write it off as measurement error and/or systematic cartographic bias (which is what it truly is).

jfrazierjr
06-06-2008, 07:46 PM
I was comparing the FT output with a sample Google Maps output. One was a position comparison to determine rough climatology (it's hard Arctic ice at the north down to about Moscow at the southernmost latitudes - the area mapped is that little bit above Norway on the globe). The other was a size comparison with a map of Europe rotated over the area of interest to get an idea for roads and nation size.

Then I did an image with the original blocks overlaid on top. It was instructive (I recall that it's been discussed before in a general way). The blocks are about 435 miles high. The bottom of blocks on the bottom row are about 370 miles wide. The tops of blocks in the top row are about 190 miles wide. The original estimate of 600x600 miles per block was way off assuming an Earth-sized world.

I'm not sure that this matters in absolute terms for this effort, but it could lead to issues if the effort is expanded using the same globe.

What are the different colors in terms of height? I just took area 5 and am having some trouble coordinating the various overviews due to the resolutions.

Joe

jfrazierjr
06-06-2008, 07:54 PM
Also, here are some major rivers as shown by FT.

Is there any possibility of getting this is a much higher resolution( 2 x would be good, 3 x would be great, more would be just freaking awesome) with the grid over top?

Joe

Robbie
06-07-2008, 10:52 AM
Would it even be possible to attach an .ftw file? I'd like to have one...since I'm going to be building a world myself I wanted to use similar settings.

waldronate
06-07-2008, 05:09 PM
The FTW file is over in the Thinking Big thread around page 12. Posted by NeonKnight. Some adminstrator oughta stick that attachment into this thread or something.

Torq
06-08-2008, 03:00 AM
The FT files are here http://www.cartographersguild.com/showpost.php?p=16118&postcount=105.

Torq

jfrazierjr
06-08-2008, 09:04 AM
The FT files are here http://www.cartographersguild.com/showpost.php?p=16118&postcount=105.

Torq

Unfortunately, I don't have FT, so it don't do me any good....:(

Joe

ravells
07-02-2008, 07:17 AM
Now that the regional maps are nearly complete and we are filling in cities and localities, I wonder whether it's worth having a map of the entire region with dots representing cities already mapped (or in the progress of mapping) so people can see what cities or towns they would like to map?

Torq
07-02-2008, 10:54 AM
Its definately worth it. Was that a raised hand I saw there Mr. Ravs?;)

Torq

ravells
07-02-2008, 11:29 AM
Lol...will I never have time to do this zine...I'll see what I can do!

RobA
07-02-2008, 12:31 PM
Now that the regional maps are nearly complete and we are filling in cities and localities, I wonder whether it's worth having a map of the entire region with dots representing cities already mapped (or in the progress of mapping) so people can see what cities or towns they would like to map?

How about starting with a high res vector version in a format most anyone could use? A postscript version could be pulled into any map...

Then geopolitical boundaries and cities could be added fairly easily by anyone and re-uploaded into a thread...

-Rob A>

ravells
07-02-2008, 08:08 PM
I was just suggesting a kind of overall map with little dots....you've lost me!

SeerBlue
07-16-2008, 02:35 AM
In another thread the question was asked exactly where in the CWBP world does the are being mapped lie,,,,the answer is
LONGITUDE=40.900618° E
NORTH LATITUDE=64.514710° N
EAST LONGITUDE=80.466861° E
SOUTH LATITUDE=30.922578° N
COVERED AREA=4278335 sq mi.
I thought I would post it here, as A pic is included, and so I don't loose the reference again so I can find it when I finally have time to gmap the rest of the cwbp maps for InsCarto.
SeerBlue
edit, I probably should have said the full size pic shows where the bounds are on the map.

kenohhkc
07-14-2009, 02:54 PM
Do you have a climate image we can all use too?

selden
08-11-2009, 01:36 PM
Is a map of the entire world available in Simple Cylindrical projection? (aka "Cylindrical Equidistant" or "Plate Carré" )

My searches haven't found one. I had hoped it would be available on the Wiki, for example.

It'd be nice to be able to view the entire globe interactively in a 3D viewer.

I am, of course, biased toward using Celestia for this, so a heightmap would be very useful, too.

p.s. for an example of what I mean, see http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=5415&page=6

Redrobes
08-15-2009, 08:07 PM
You wanted the height map and color maps of the world. I am still not quite up to full steam with the ole box here but I have enough going now to give a link to the color map...

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/Temp/CG/ThinkBig/World/World_Color1.png

Theres no height map online but I have it. I just need to fetch it off the backup disks and upload it. The one which seer wanted was in HF2 format which is what I work in. I can do that or a greyscale png.

Neon made the original world in Fractal Terrains Pro and I don't use that app so I don't have its preferred format or any specific projection other than the normal Mercator type for cylindrical projection. Well, if I have the projection term wrong, it will be same as the color image !

selden
08-16-2009, 08:45 AM
Redrobes,

Thanks!

I've downloaded the color surface texture. It seems to be the right projection.

How was it generated? The coloration in the oceans seems to be irregular (dithered?) instead of being a single color as I expected. The irregularities look like lots of small bumps and don't correspond to the undersea topology.

Personally, I'd prefer png format for the heightmap, since I'm not familiar with HF2. (Is that the format used by HalfLife2? I'm not a gamer.)

Thanks again.

Redrobes
08-16-2009, 09:14 AM
Well Neon generated the world height map and gave it out. After some translation to my preferred format I stuck it into an app I wrote which textures height maps with various textures. The sea color is not showing much below surface. Its supposed to be the surface of the sea with some slight coloration of the sand or whatever below the surface which fades out as it gets deeper. Its sort of procedural so you can see the same shader here in Gatini Island...

http://www.cartographersguild.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15427&d=1249261942

You can see that it also shades sea foam and wet sand etc. Its all done together in one huge programmable shader thing.

I am getting my PC back into shape but I still need to grab that work area bit to get the height map.

Oh yeah, HF2 is the second generation from HF format which is one of the height field formats. A group of us led by Aaron of L3DT came up with the spec for it. There is a free library from Aaron to load and save into it on his site. Its under lesser GPL.

selden
08-16-2009, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the explanations!
The shader certainly does make the island look like it's covered by trees.

I'll investigate HF2, but PNG seems to be the best choice for me for right now.

Thanks, again.

Redrobes
08-16-2009, 11:03 AM
Heres the greyscale height map (above sea level).

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/Temp/CG/ThinkBig/World/World_gray_4kx2k.png

selden
08-16-2009, 11:17 AM
Thanks!

It looks like it does not include the subsea elevations. Is that right?
Is a version available which includes the full extent of the heights?
I realize that its resolution in altitude would be quite a bit lower.

ImageMagick's identify utility reports that it's an 8bit grey-scale image. Is a 16 bit version possible? That would help with the vertical resolution, I think.

Sorry to be such a pest. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Redrobes
08-16-2009, 12:16 PM
I thought the link above had that stuff in them. These were supposed to be the original world maps used. Your probably best off using these as they have the highest res of them all.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showpost.php?p=16118&postcount=105

selden
08-16-2009, 12:43 PM
Unfortunately, world4-grey is a square bumpmap which seems to be only for the region currently being mapped by Guild members, not of the whole planet.

The other zip file contains World4.ftw. I don't have Fractal Terrain. Is there a converter available for the .ftw file format? L3DT [which I just downloaded] doesn't recognize it, and it isn't listed on its plugin Web page.

Redrobes
08-16-2009, 12:45 PM
Actually I think someone must have asked about this before as I have a PNG16 sat on my drive here. I dont use these so I cant think why I have it otherwise.

Anyway, DONT CLICK on the link below. Right click and save as to your HDD. Its rather big.
http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/Temp/CG/ThinkBig/World/World_png16.png

selden
08-16-2009, 12:50 PM
Thanks!
It's downloading now.

I found a free viewer for FT files on their web site.
I'll give it a try, too, once I get the email saying where to get it.

selden
08-16-2009, 04:26 PM
After some massaging, I managed to persuade world_png16.png to align with the zoom texture. When both are scaled to 2048x1024, there's an offset of about 100 pixels in longitude between them.

http://www.lepp.cornell.edu/~seb/celestia/cwbp/images/zoom_bump.jpeg (http://www.lepp.cornell.edu/~seb/celestia/cwbp/images/zoom_bump.jpg)

Note, however, how flat it is along the coastlines. ImageMagick's histogram facility revealed that there aren't very many levels in the heightmap. It'd be nice if that could be improved.

http://www.lepp.cornell.edu/~seb/celestia/cwbp/images/world_png16_hist.jpeg (http://www.lepp.cornell.edu/~seb/celestia/cwbp/images/world_png16_hist.png)

waldronate
08-16-2009, 04:48 PM
What does that histogram analysis look like on an Earth-derived heightmap?

Redrobes
08-16-2009, 08:44 PM
Whilst it looks bad on the histo, it is supposed to be a 16 bit PNG so its a smallish section of 65K levels instead of 256. If this were a small bit of terrain and we were going in for a 3D through the mountains look then it might matter but wrapped on a planet then I think its going to make no visual difference at all.

Although I cant remember doing the PNG16, I would have thought that I derived it from the HF2 map so that my color and the height should have lined up. Neither might line up with the original FTPro color map or zoom map tho. If you wanted to align them then you might have to work it a bit.

Its likely to be flatish at the edges of the land mass because it would normally be something like that and FTPro has some sort of subsea flat land region before it starts to drop off steep subsea. Note my amazing lack of geological terminology there. It does mean of course that any slight Z offsetting does produce quite a radical sea-land shape from the height maps.

Ashenvale
08-16-2009, 08:59 PM
Holy crap. I had no idea how much I don't know.

Last week, a sci-fi RPG publisher asked me to create a planetary map and a continent map for its upcoming publication. I've been thinking in two dimensions with Photoshop as my tool.

Spinning planet video never entered my mind.

I feel something like I did when a sci-fi author friend first handed me Stephen L. Gillett's World-Building; A Writer's Guid to Constructing Star Systems and Life-Supporting Planets. There's are simple formulas for escape velocity? Tidal braking? Binary star system's gravity? I'm so in the dark!

selden
08-17-2009, 08:21 AM
What does that histogram analysis look like on an Earth-derived heightmap?

I don't know.

Can you provide a pointer to one that I can try? A quick Google search turned up ways to get heightmaps of regions (e.g. http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=27052 ) but I haven't found a complete one yet.

Whilst it looks bad on the histo, it is supposed to be a 16 bit PNG so its a smallish section of 65K levels instead of 256. That's one of the problems that I realized when I woke up this morning. I guess I'm going to have to write my own utilities to do the kinds of manipulations I want to do to the height values.

Do you know what scale factor was used when the translation was done between the altitude and the 64K binary values?

I'm guessing that the large spike is due to the coastal regions of the continental shelves, so presumably is near 0.

waldronate
08-17-2009, 10:27 AM
I don't know.
Can you provide a pointer to one that I can try? A quick Google search turned up ways to get heightmaps of regions (e.g. http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=27052 ) but I haven't found a complete one yet.

I don't have a link to a good PNG heightmap, but I used Wilbur to read the ETOPO2 data and write out an equal-area 8-bit heightmap based on that data set. The histograms for each area shown below. The hump to the left is the oceanic abyssal plain and the big spike is the coastal plain/continental shelf. A straight histogram on the Plate Caree projection of the original ETOPO2 data set has some artifacts as shown in the second one (that hump off to the right in the plate caree projection is due to polar distortion for Antarctica, most likely).

RobA
08-17-2009, 10:51 AM
Last week, a sci-fi RPG publisher asked me to create a planetary map and a continent map for its upcoming publication. I've been thinking in two dimensions with Photoshop as my tool.

You really don't need to worry about the nasty details of world building, as almost anything can get explained away by hand-waving. ;) The real trick is to realize the polar distortion that occurs. Because of that, I like to work on base world maps using a vector tool to get the shapes correct when mapped to a sphere, otherwise the whole "greenland looks bigger than south america" problem starts to rear it's ugly head!

I think that is why many of the scifi mappers like to work on triangular/hex based projections of planets...

-Rob A>

Nate
06-06-2012, 10:54 AM
So the focus area is meant to be Europe-like in location/climate?

Antonymph
11-01-2012, 07:25 PM
Liking these!

Vellum
11-08-2012, 05:26 PM
Whew!! I've been reading bits and pieces of this world building thread stuff. Dang have I got a lot to learn MUHAHA. You guys are doing a great job!! This is some far over my head atm I couldn't even do a simple layout in one of the map grab sections and be at the right scale LOL. this has been an enjoyable read tho.