PDA

View Full Version : [WIP] Commission-Map for the Sleeping Gods Savage World Campaignbook

Schwarzkreuz
02-20-2012, 05:59 PM
Hi,
Today I can post a WIP of the Map I do for the Sleeping Gods Savage World Campaignbook. It is a Book, published for the German Savage World, and contains a commisioned map from me. In the Beginning I got a Sketch from the author of the Book and some Backgroundinformations, concerning important Plotlocations, which needed more detailed Eyecatchers. I am very intensely working on this map the last Weekend and will hopefully learn a lot from it. The Main theme is a tornup continent in the North and Eastside of the Continent. Thats the reasons for the brokenup Islands at tjose sites.

I am happy for any critique on the map, therefore its my second bigshot here at the CG.
Thanks a lot!

@Riverpolice: there are 3 monstrous Swampdeltas, so dont jump at me :P

EDIT: I also develloped some House-Icons based on the System of Ramah´s Bouse Icons.

Lalaithion
02-20-2012, 10:11 PM
In fact, the river violation that i find most offensive is the fact that one of your rivers flows out of the mountains, and then uphill back into a mountain range.

rdanhenry
02-20-2012, 10:34 PM
Normally, I would say that those deltas are insane, but whole continent looks like it is crumbling around the edges, so I totally buy them in this context.

rdanhenry
02-20-2012, 10:37 PM
In fact, the river violation that i find most offensive is the fact that one of your rivers flows out of the mountains, and then uphill back into a mountain range.

Unless it is dropping from a plateau into a lower range of mountains. This style of map represents terrain, but doesn't necessarily provide a great guide to actual elevations. There's also a pretty clear valley through some of that second mountain range; I'd assume where it seems closed that the valley is simply narrower.

cereth
02-20-2012, 11:07 PM
Looks cool...the crumbling shoreline is pretty nifty. The volcano looks pretty awesome too.

Lalaithion
02-21-2012, 01:42 AM
True, it could be dropping into the mountains from a plateau. If this is the case, I would add a cliff or some visual notation of that.

However, there should be rivers flowing out of said mountains to the eastern coast or the other nearby rivers. (Unless the terrain is really dry desert. Really dry.)

Schwarzkreuz
02-21-2012, 04:26 AM
Unless it is dropping from a plateau into a lower range of mountains. This style of map represents terrain, but doesn't necessarily provide a great guide to actual elevations. There's also a pretty clear valley through some of that second mountain range; I'd assume where it seems closed that the valley is simply narrower.

Yes the Mountains are much highter than the rest of the map and the river that flows throught the hills in the middle is a bit strange but the hills are in a in a dropping area and collects in the lake before overflowing it to the sea, all Water there in the middle of teh map, collects into this lake, so there are no other rivers emerge from it. The rain comes from southwest and hit the northern Mountains, and spare the hills. the surrounding area are not desserts but grasland, resulting from gletcher/melting aktivities from the mountains, some very long times ago.

silverhead
02-21-2012, 06:38 AM
I like a lot how well it's drawn. The river police will have something to say, but besides that, I find it very appealing. Good job!

Schwarzkreuz
02-21-2012, 07:34 AM
I dont see River issues so much as the deltas were intended to be Swamp/Marsh areas and the river in the Hill-land is flowing from highter ground to lower levels. And I also know that such huge Deltas are unreal, but the form the swampflows. Well I have seen examples of such marsh lands before on google maps, do you realy think them so unrealistic?

THe Terrain is magicly altered from the setting anyway, but I would prefer to stick to realistic renders. So I am gratefull for the help here.

Galendae
02-23-2012, 01:10 PM
Tremendous stuff! How do you plan on using those house icons? Show us some finished work with those when you get around to it. Like them alot!

You have serious talent, as I have said before. All your stuff makes me go wow!

The River Police are right. I know you have a hard time with that. Other then that, Excellent map! If I have time(and energy) I will photoshop some changes to your rivers, then maybe it will make sense to you. I assume you have read the "River Police" Thread and the suggestions found there? Have you seen "Finding Nemo"? That movie said it best, "All drains lead to the ocean.".
(Someone else with time and energy can you coach this budding talent on Rivers?)

Anyway, TREMENDOUS!!!

Galendae

wittyoctopus
02-23-2012, 02:04 PM
Those house/city/village icons do look great. Are you planning on using them to create a city map, or will they be placed into context on your larger world map? Either way spectacular artistic work.

Niall Mackay
02-23-2012, 05:22 PM
Have you seen "Finding Nemo"? That movie said it best, "All drains lead to the ocean.".
Then explain Okavango to me. :P ;)

Schwarzkreuz
02-23-2012, 07:39 PM
FOr the houses i take both ussage.

Well all rivers starts in mountains, the rivers unite and dont split. The have diverse thickness, collects in lakes with on in and one outflow. And the hight terrain flows in lower fields. The rivers eats up a lot of earth in the grasland than spill it out in the swamp deltas/ Mangrove. So where is the issue?

Schwarzkreuz
02-23-2012, 07:44 PM
Ok i reread the posts. I see the problematic situation in th valleys. I will add rivers and erease some of the hills. Its a hillside landscape. Does it look like mountains?

Schwarzkreuz
02-27-2012, 06:16 AM
ok here is an Mapupdate on the rivers.

Lalaithion
02-27-2012, 04:53 PM
Wonderful! I would suggest a a river from the central mountains just right of the lake that joins up with the river that heads NE, but there could also be a desert there that easily explains the lack of said river. Also, the archipelago/swamp in the central mountains connects with two rivers, an unlikely happenstance. I would disconnect the southern river.

About climate: Clouds and rain are carried by winds that tend to blow in the same patterns. When clouds hit mountains, they dump their rain, causing lush forests. But on the other half of the ridge, there is no rain and a desert is created. a wonderful example of this is California vs Utah. As you go over those mountains you go from forests, strawberry farms, and wineries to slat flats and cacti.

Certain general worldwide patters (caused by the earths rotation) are shown on this map:
Exceptions are common, for example this is how winds generally are:
Just something to be aware of when designing the climates. Your central mountains will have at least one side that is desert. Winds coming off deserts will be warm (one of the reasons for the warmth of europe is the wind from the sahara.)

Schwarzkreuz
02-27-2012, 05:56 PM
Well we do have mountains in the middle of germany and no desserts. I think the climate on the map shall not be so extrem to have desserts. The one commissioning the map wants forests and graslands both side of the centrall Hill-Land. <they will come soon. Man, thanks for the verry usefull images, will try to learn some more geophysics as soon as possible.

I got inspired by Tetrajak´s Continent of Irshy Map (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?17770-Continent-of-Irshy&p=178538#post178538) to redo the City and Housesymbols. I will rethink some of my earlier brushes like trees and Castles and will redo them soon.

Lalaithion
02-28-2012, 12:04 AM
True; it is not always as pronounced as I have made out, and there are exceptions. However, a quick look at the rainfall map in germany vs the altitude map and you can see the correlation.

Schwarzkreuz
02-28-2012, 10:05 PM
Well, dont misunderstand me, normally I would do corrections on the effects of mountains and deltas and so on, but its a commission. The overall landscape is fixed in the concept. I did never disagreed with you.

Oh my ... next personal map I would love to discuss with you. +rep ;)

Lalaithion
02-29-2012, 12:10 AM
My apologies, I had forgotten that it was a commission.

dangerdog15
03-03-2012, 12:18 PM
Nice use of repeating objects to create the Mnts. and Hills. Great time saver.

Schwarzkreuz
03-05-2012, 09:07 AM
I can concentrate on Layout and composition. For Most New Maps i create a Set of new brushes, optimising the ones i already have and delete Dome that i am Not komfortable with any more. The Count this Morning are 1357 mapbrushes. I want to perhaps make a small book with my mapmaking elements with the title: "Stadt, Land, Fluss."

Lukc
03-05-2012, 10:51 AM
I could expand it to: "Stadt, Land, Fluss, Don Quihot, Windmühlen ..."

But seriously - do you mean like a little illustrated book? Sounds nice.

dangerdog15
03-07-2012, 05:28 PM
I could expand it to: "Stadt, Land, Fluss, Don Quihot, Windmühlen ..."

But seriously - do you mean like a little illustrated book? Sounds nice.
LOL! Nice. I would buy that book. But seriously, great idea.

Schwarzkreuz
03-08-2012, 07:40 PM
I think I will create the Book for my Exebition "Utopian Matters" in Autum '12. If anyone is interested I would post a low resolution PDF here on CG.

Lukc
03-09-2012, 02:14 AM
I think you'd be hard pressed to find people uninterested here :)

Diamond
03-10-2012, 08:25 PM
I think you'd be hard pressed to find people uninterested here :)

Indeed. :D

Slylok
03-13-2012, 10:51 AM
Interested...

by the way, I read your post about cartographer's styles and i think you already have yours. I dont know how to explain it, but you have a distinct style from the works i have seen of yours.

Schwarzkreuz
03-13-2012, 07:11 PM
I will set the discussion of this matter in another thread than.

Do you realy think? I am also still try to find my personal way for doing things. I still dont have a thing a call a defined way of doing, except perhaps drawing mountains like a maniac. I am a huge fan of your arcadia Map!

Slylok
03-13-2012, 09:38 PM
Oh thank you very much :) Your Arden map, which is beautiful btw, and this one you are working on now definitely seem to have the same style. I really like the way you do your labeling with the underlining of main areas. That is another thing that goes with your style.

This one is looking great so far. cant wait to see more.

Schwarzkreuz
03-16-2012, 01:37 PM
I still want to try out some forms I found in the Book, Emblemata Liber, its like a riddle book consiting of an Image, an Text/Quotation and a Headliner. There are still so many forms to explore. I realy like Typography, but am an awfull typograph myself, sadly spoken.