PDA

View Full Version : The Circle of the World

Diamond
02-20-2012, 10:46 PM
Something new, created over the last couple of weeks.

-Terrain was created using real world physical data, overlaid with various grunge filters.
-Coats of Arms were created by me using a few free-for-use clipart pieces.
-City maps courtesy of Matt Jackson (www.msjx.org). Thanks, man!
-Fonts used were Optimus Princeps and Freebooter, both found at www.dafont.com.

This represents the 'civilized world' as drawn by a cartographer of the Basentine Empire, the most powerful nation in the known world, heir to the old Tarosian Empire. The known lands have a mainly Byzantine/eastern European feel in the south and west, northern European in the north/northwest. Ushtarna is a barbaric realm akin to REH's Cimmeria.

wittyoctopus
02-20-2012, 11:42 PM
This is a great map! I really like your use of the corners of the map for the coats of arms for the different nations, and especially enjoy the city maps you included. Splendid use of space.

Sular
02-21-2012, 12:22 AM
It is very nice indeed. I've always been a fan of circular maps. The use of city maps for the corners is a nice touch.

Sapiento
02-21-2012, 02:05 AM
Great concept and execution! Lovely details!

Alex
02-21-2012, 02:11 AM
Amazing! I really love the map, especially the Coats of Arms and names! Great work!

Take some rep! :D

pasis
02-21-2012, 02:34 AM
Great piece indeed!!

Jaxilon
02-21-2012, 02:59 AM
Love it Diamond. Very slick looking piece.

bartmoss
02-21-2012, 03:10 AM
Very pretty!

razcor
02-21-2012, 03:57 AM
Wonderful, very clear and the maps of the cities make it even more interesting, I also like the story behind it. One small detail: if the word "medius" is Latin and not a imaginative word, then the correct declension is "medium", "medium sea" or better "mare medium", because sea (mare, maris in Latin) is a neuter nuon. :)

silverhead
02-21-2012, 06:40 AM
Very, very cool. The map is very clean, and the whole concept of "real map", with the add-ons on the sides, is very well executed.

Just out of curiosity: is this for some writing, or just for fun?

Eilathen
02-21-2012, 07:20 AM
Well, what can i say. Another Diamond, enough said! Love it, man. And if you ever make up more world-fluff, I'd really like to read it. And maybe you could do a follow-up map of the uncivilized world for good measure ;)
Have some rep (if i can)!

Robulous
02-21-2012, 10:05 AM
That looks great, very inspiring. You say you used real-world data - where does the topography come from?

My only criticism is I'm not sure what the gridlines mean? Since they all converge at the centre that makes it look as if it's a north or south pole, but apparently north is the top. I'm not sure it makes any sense as a compass rose either. What kind of projection is this meant to be?

Diamond
02-21-2012, 05:19 PM
Thanks, all. I appreciate it.

One small detail: if the word "medius" is Latin and not a imaginative word, then the correct declension is "medium", "medium sea" or better "mare medium", because sea (mare, maris in Latin) is a neuter nuon. :)
It's supposed to suggest medium or middle in a kind of pseudo-Latin.

Just out of curiosity: is this for some writing, or just for fun?
Just for fun, though I do think it might make a great RPG setting... someday...

That looks great, very inspiring. You say you used real-world data - where does the topography come from?

My only criticism is I'm not sure what the gridlines mean? Since they all converge at the centre that makes it look as if it's a north or south pole, but apparently north is the top. I'm not sure it makes any sense as a compass rose either. What kind of projection is this meant to be?
1. Topography comes from physical maps (one scanned in from an atlas), and others gleaned from NASA/US Topo sites, etc. Sized down, color-corrected, rotated, pieced together.
2. Not meant to represent any projection, except maybe one invented by the fictional cartographer. The circular grid was more to help tie the whole piece together than to suggest any real-world meaning.

Robulous
02-22-2012, 08:39 AM
Topography comes from physical maps (one scanned in from an atlas)

I got that, I just wondered what part of the real world is it? 8) Not telling?

Diamond
02-22-2012, 06:42 PM
I got that, I just wondered what part of the real world is it? 8) Not telling?

Oh, gotcha. The mountains are from eastern Africa and (if I recall correctly, a chunk of the Himalayas), that chunk of desert is from south Africa, and the green grassland areas are from central Russia and the eastern US.

cereth
02-22-2012, 07:19 PM
Wow...this is quite impressive, sir.

Bogie
02-22-2012, 11:51 PM
Excellent Map! Great colors. Nice details.

Lukc
02-23-2012, 01:57 AM
It looks lovely, but I have to admit the graticule keeps suggesting "north pole" to me, then the Boreal sea pops up, way off from the pole ...

rdanhenry
02-23-2012, 09:51 AM
Think of it as the "Central Pole", the middle of the world. If the world is not actually flat, the cartographer's civilization believes that it is. The compass rose covers that spot because it is forbidden to map the sacred island that occupies that spot, traditionally assigned as the home of the gods.

If you don't like that story, use another, like that being the site of the naval battle that established the Tarosian Empire, becoming ever after the central reference point for geography.

lostatsea
02-23-2012, 07:05 PM
Extremely nice!! One thing though when blown up there is some jagged artifacts on the circles edges only . Perhaps from reducing the resolution ?? Or maybe just my old eyes ?? :) Great piece !!

laevex_esre
02-24-2012, 11:35 AM
This is a brilliant map! I love the information surrounding it. It really adds to the map's flavour.

What real world physical data did you use? I don't recognise it at all! Maybe I'm just unfamiliar with looking at it from this angle though.

Diamond
02-24-2012, 08:37 PM
Extremely nice!! One thing though when blown up there is some jagged artifacts on the circles edges only . Perhaps from reducing the resolution ?? Or maybe just my old eyes ?? :) Great piece !!
Yeah, I noticed that too. It was a result of 'carving' out the circle by selecting the big black circle it started as, contracting, and deleting the interior. I didn't go back and smooth everything out like I meant to.

This is a brilliant map! I love the information surrounding it. It really adds to the map's flavour.

What real world physical data did you use? I don't recognise it at all! Maybe I'm just unfamiliar with looking at it from this angle though.
The mountains in the northeast are from eastern Africa, and if I recall correctly, the ones in the northwest are from the Himalayas. The green areas are from central Russia and the eastern US mostly.

Schwarzkreuz
02-25-2012, 08:07 PM
Oh i love all the details, i feel kind of lazy when i see your stuff. And also have to speed up my part of the collab. Great work Mr.D. !

Klaus van der Kroft
02-26-2012, 12:30 AM
A truly magnificent piece of work.

You have all my congratulations, good sir, and then some more!

arsheesh
02-26-2012, 09:28 PM
Fantastic Work Diamond!

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Diamond
02-28-2012, 11:44 PM
Thanks fellas.

And yeah, Schwarzkreuz, hurry up! :D

EvilOverlordX
04-02-2012, 04:02 PM
Very nice! The corner maps are a very cool addition.

Waynan7
12-30-2012, 12:03 PM
This may be one of the most stunning maps I have ever seen for the genre. The shields of the main political players and the city maps are a brilliant touch as is the dedication in the lower left corner. Very, very nice.

Diamond
01-04-2013, 05:30 AM
Thanks! I appreciate that.

hokutoo323
09-25-2014, 10:29 PM
Nicee i take it ! THX

Diamond
09-26-2014, 11:52 AM
You take it? Okay..... ?

Chashio
09-26-2014, 04:55 PM
Oh. This is a nice find. An interesting layout, and good use of the terrain. Nice fonts, too. This gives me a few ideas to think on for later use.