PDA

View Full Version : Khefaria

Sapiento
02-21-2012, 06:12 AM
This map depicts the coastal region known as Khefaria and is in the same world as Wyrtenheim (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?16469-Wyrtenheim). It stretches nearly 300 kilometers along the southwest coast of the continent of Alitoria. In the northeast Khefaria is bordered by the Alikanian Uplands, which separate the coast from the Untimian Savannah, wich is more than 600 kilometers broad and has only small settlements.

Khefaria was once united but since the last king died hundred years ago without a male heir, the realm is broken up into dozens of successor states. Now princedoms, counties and republics rule either over a single city or a small territory. Rapidly changing coalitions ensure that no power becomes strong enough to conquer the others. Since the breakdown of the old kingdom 14 such coalitions were formed to crush potential conquerors.

I decided again for German labels.
The shield says: Exact map of Khefaria with city states and princedoms given by the Imperial Oceanic Trading Company, 1612

Schwarzkreuz
02-21-2012, 06:52 AM
It looks like a very uncommon form for maps here on cg. Most are in roughly 3/4 or so format. This form for a coastal region is a nice idea. Do you often choose to settle th framework before the landfeatures?

Sapiento
02-21-2012, 07:19 AM
It looks like a very uncommon form for maps here on cg. Most are in roughly 3/4 or so format. This form for a coastal region is a nice idea. Do you often choose to settle th framework before the landfeatures?

Usually I do the map itself first, then the deco. But in this case I couldn't decide on the brush style, so I did the decorative elements first.
Meanwhile I think I will use the same brush style as in the previous map, with some alterations.

As the settled coastal region is rather narrow and stretches in a NW - SE direction I would have a very large map with a lot of empty space if I had used the usual N-S alignment. This way I can portrait the important region, but it lacks longitudes and latitudes. So I guess this is more a map for general information then for actual navigation.

Schwarzkreuz
02-21-2012, 11:34 AM
Ok i get the idea. Its often an isue on my maps too that i have to handle some empy spaces. I will try to keep this in mind for the next time.

Sapiento
02-21-2012, 02:05 PM
Some progress. I tried longitudes and latitudes - looks unusual, but I like the idea.

Sapiento
02-22-2012, 05:27 AM
Coats of arms added.
I now think about two ways to add the state labels: either on the map or enlarging the map on the right side and place there a column with shields and names.

Schwarzkreuz
02-22-2012, 08:00 AM
I prefer the last idea. Could like nice

wally-d-feed
02-22-2012, 11:46 AM
Very nice map. I like the overall coloring

Robulous
02-22-2012, 03:00 PM
Excellent, I love the style it's very reminiscent of an old map. As a matter of interest what font did you use for the text?

Sapiento
02-23-2012, 03:27 AM
Excellent, I love the style it's very reminiscent of an old map. As a matter of interest what font did you use for the text?

The font is Ugly Qua.

Sapiento
02-24-2012, 01:44 PM
State labels added.

Schwarzkreuz
02-25-2012, 04:09 AM
Every element is simple but maximized effective. I think this map is a great example in mapping a straight idea and using even inconventional elements in a harmonic way. And the overall colors are splendid

Lukc
02-25-2012, 04:52 AM
It looks good, and convincingly aged indeed!

Sapiento
02-26-2012, 07:28 AM
Thank you, guys.

I added a few geographic labels, but otherwise I think this map is finished.

wally-d-feed
02-26-2012, 10:24 AM
Hey Sapiento ... ausgezeichnete Karte (=outstanding map)
But I have two things to point at.

1. Did you use the word "Baronat" on purpose because it should be "Baronie"
2. There seem to be a lot of areas that don't belong to any of political entity (e.g. between "Königreich Altkhefarien", "Baronat Inapad" and "Ampuf" or right of "Republik Meshku" or especially between "Grafschaft Audande", "Amnsanische Freyschaft" and "Königreich Sulatar") which to me seems a little uncommon ... maybe these spots are not very interesting for settling or anything but at least for traderoutes ... If there's no explicit reason to not annex those areas, why wouldn't anyone annex it? And if there's some reason to not annex them like some treaty that says that noone should touch those lands or maybe a curse that lies on that lands (or whatever) ... why isn't that reason indicated in the map (eg. "Neutrales Land" or "Verfluchtes Land" or "nichtinkorporiertes Territorium")

Sapiento
02-26-2012, 01:18 PM
Hey Sapiento ... ausgezeichnete Karte (=outstanding map)
But I have two things to point at.

1. Did you use the word "Baronat" on purpose because it should be "Baronie"
2. There seem to be a lot of areas that don't belong to any of political entity (e.g. between "Königreich Altkhefarien", "Baronat Inapad" and "Ampuf" or right of "Republik Meshku" or especially between "Grafschaft Audande", "Amnsanische Freyschaft" and "Königreich Sulatar") which to me seems a little uncommon ... maybe these spots are not very interesting for settling or anything but at least for traderoutes ... If there's no explicit reason to not annex those areas, why wouldn't anyone annex it? And if there's some reason to not annex them like some treaty that says that noone should touch those lands or maybe a curse that lies on that lands (or whatever) ... why isn't that reason indicated in the map (eg. "Neutrales Land" or "Verfluchtes Land" or "nichtinkorporiertes Territorium")

Danke! Thank you!

1. Baronie and Baronat are both possible.
2. I thought that the ownership of these areas is changing very often. But good ideas with 'neutral land' and the others. I will adapt the map.

wally-d-feed
02-26-2012, 02:12 PM
Danke! Thank you!

1. Baronie and Baronat are both possible.
2. I thought that the ownership of these areas is changing very often. But good ideas with 'neutral land' and the others. I will adapt the map.

1. Oh! I didn't know that .. you never stop learning :D
2. I am always glad I can help. How about "umkämpftes Territorium"?

Sapiento
02-26-2012, 02:51 PM
1. Oh! I didn't know that .. you never stop learning :D
2. I am always glad I can help. How about "umkämpftes Territorium"?

1. :)
2. Good idea.

Schwarzkreuz
02-26-2012, 03:34 PM
1. :)
2. Good idea.

1. Is this the same as in Califat and Sultanat, where does such wordelements come from?
2. This form of areas are always difficult.

Sapiento
02-28-2012, 03:39 AM
1. Is this the same as in Califat and Sultanat, where does such wordelements come from?
2. This form of areas are always difficult.

1. I'm quite sure it comes from Latin.
2. More or less, yes.

'neutralized territories' labels added.
So, now it should be finished.

Other ideas or critques?