PDA

View Full Version : Sokhin System Map

Tegutei
02-24-2012, 07:10 AM
I used this (http://fast-times.eldacur.com/StarGen/RunStarGen.html) to generate the system (though not the moons, I had to improvise those) and then I mapped it out in Illustrator.

Originally I was going to display some information about each planet beneath it's name, but I ran out of space pretty quickly when I tried that. My current plan is to move it into the text box once I get around to writing that out - any suggestions on that are welcome, though.

(also wow i really need to finish up some of my other mapping projects)

cfds
02-27-2012, 03:08 AM
You could include the planet information by adding columns between the graphs and putting the info at the "height" of the planet's orbit.

Tegutei
02-27-2012, 07:34 AM
You could include the planet information by adding columns between the graphs and putting the info at the "height" of the planet's orbit.

Hmm, I think that could work.

After a bit of nudging things around, here's where I am now.
Quite incomplete, obviously, but I think this method has promise. Next will be doing the next two columns, and fixing all the bits that I broke while I was mucking around with it. None of the colors are final, I just thought I'd see how it looked with darker columns. Anyway, I should probably get to bed before the sun comes up.

Tegutei
03-01-2012, 05:39 AM
Time for an update!

Aside from the visual changes, I changed the scale to be more accommodating to planets orbiting past 1 AU and increased the last one to 30 AU. The names and planets are different because I was working on it on my laptop when I went to redo the orbits and discovered that I had forgotten to bring the file containing the info for Sokhin's planets. I decided to use another system for the time being, since once I have the look down creating the actual system is quite fast.

altasilvapuer
05-08-2012, 09:10 PM
Wow, I love the look; very striking!

Are the orbits on any sort of measurable scale, or just approximated? If the latter, how did you decide how far apart to make each one?

Also, I think the void of empty space beyond the outermost planet in the third panel is actually a very effective way of denoting just how far out and alone the outermost planets are. There's some pretty effective subtext in the simple act of leaving so much space empty, I think. Repped!

-asp

Hungry Donner
05-12-2012, 09:03 PM
It looks great, but I wonder about the gas giant in between the two habitable planets. I assume the star is similar to our own, in which case I don't think you could fit three planets in the habitable zone - gas giants tend to be pretty disruptive to nearby neighbors.