PDA

View Full Version : Unnamed Fortified Village

Larb
03-02-2012, 01:01 PM
This is a request I did for someone who needed a fortified forest village with a biiiig graveyard and a keep in the middle. There's a few things I'm not happy with but it will do I think. No labels as the person it is for will be doing that.

Niall Mackay
03-02-2012, 01:24 PM
Very nice, i like it.
But why is the roof of the keep purple?

Larb
03-02-2012, 01:38 PM
It makes it stand out from everything else as it is the central focus of the map and a special place. It's a fantasy village so they painted it purple at some point. =P

Lukc
03-02-2012, 02:39 PM
I think it's just a slate roof. The lord of the keep wanted to show he was wealthy, and got slates imported from the goblin mines, so the peasant scum would know how much better His Lordship is than them. :)

Gamerprinter
03-02-2012, 02:42 PM
Looks good, Larb! Have some Rep!

(Holy crap, my rep stick is awfully powerful! +19)

GP

Lukc
03-02-2012, 04:00 PM
Indeed! Mine is only +7.

Bogie
03-03-2012, 06:22 PM
Excellent map, Very nice Very usable.

Larb
03-03-2012, 08:25 PM
Thanks everyone. The only thing is when I compare it to my other maps, it looks very dark. Although dark and gloomy was part of the "spec", it just seems a bit too dark. It's bugging me a bit. =P

jfrazierjr
03-04-2012, 09:53 AM
I like the town itself, but the trees need work. I am guessing you used a bevel on them? IMHO, it seriously clashes with the style of the town which is much more hand drawn and natural feeling.

If you are interested in trying to change them up, Something more like Mike Schley's style would work I would think. Or, go with something like this (http://www.cartographersguild.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10897&d=1236211661)(the buildings IMMEDIATELY reminded me of Del's map..) Alternately, just consider highlighting each by hand(light/shadow) using a smallish grunge brush(might want to select to keep from over painting "outside" the lines...

Larb
03-04-2012, 06:13 PM
I've always had trouble with getting trees to look good. Yes, I used a slight bevel on them. I'll be doing another village map soon so I'll try the style in the map that you linked and see how it turns out.

jfrazierjr
03-04-2012, 06:17 PM
Yea, bevel sticks out like a sore thumb in a map that was partially hand drawn...heh... You could also try looking at just about any map Mike Schley makes as he does great work. Also, if you have not already see it, Torstan posted a few tips about 2 weeks ago on making top down trees in a hard drawn style and they look really nice(as does pretty much anything he does)....

Mosesofmind
03-05-2012, 07:16 PM
I just noticed the contours surrounding the village and the keep itself. They're an excellent touch that really make this map shine imo.

rdanhenry
03-12-2012, 05:27 PM
I don't know that the bevel is such a bad thing. The trees look less natural than the town this way... but that's kind of creepy. Gets the right mood.

bruno66
03-20-2012, 04:21 PM
Nice job pal

rpgmapmaker
03-20-2012, 07:30 PM
You have done a great job of putting this together. I do agree that the trees look just a little off. I made some trees in this style that you can use here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?10041-Free-Hand-Drawn-Town-Buildings). Or you could just lower the amount of bevel some.

Either way this looks very nice.

Keep on mapin' & have some rep

-RPGMM