PDA

View Full Version : [Region 1][Map 19]The Gallant Coast.

su_liam
04-07-2008, 05:10 PM
A long way to go, but I finally got things "lined up." There was some unpleasant orthogonal banding in the HF which I have not quite eliminated. Now it's all pretty pictures and naming... Not really.

A long way to go...

Airith
04-07-2008, 06:38 PM
That looks great su_liam, going to have to step up my redo of my area.

I wish I had that delta/peninsula piece on your coast though, that's just my ideal area.

su_liam
04-07-2008, 07:26 PM
That's the major reason I picked it. With the Plaguelands butting up against the back of my mountains, I'm finding my patch a little more confining than I would have preferred.

After all the trouble Redrobes went to pulling out HFs and the like, I find myself leaning toward a more symbolic approach. I can't seem to eradicate the banding artifacts in the HF and my attempt to export it to Bryce developed weird holes. Grrr. My only remaining hope is to erode it in Wilbur. I'll do that on the Moo Machine at work tonight.

su_liam
04-08-2008, 04:03 PM
Frustratingly, the old version of Wilbur I had on The Cow at work had problems with its incise flow, so I spent most of the night uploading the new new version of Wilbur. And apparently the entire .Net framework :roll:. At the end of all that, it turns out the computer was missing a .dll needed for the job. So I went home and tucked my beautiful wife into bed.

I was able to do a passable job with some noise and scratches filters, a touch of Gaussian Blur and a wee bit of Bryce erosion. I'm currently rendering an overhead perspective of my neighborhood.

Here is the current state of my work. Coming along slowly.

ravells
04-08-2008, 07:09 PM
Looking good! Nice terrain texture!

Airith
05-05-2008, 12:47 AM
since we're neighbor regions, I was wondering if you wanted me to change anything on my map, or add anything. I tried to avoid anything on that border, other than a crossroads town. also, you haven't posted in a while :P

su_liam
05-08-2008, 04:29 PM
I'm happy with what you are doing Airith. I've been having trouble getting anything to look good on my map. This is an update to show that I've added some limited text. I think I need to bump up the resolution and drop the text size considerably. I'm also working on a more standardized format(text sizes and colors for various features, etc.).

I'm having a lot of trouble with features around Winsome Bay. This is rather important because that bay is the major reason I chose this section. Slartibartfast had fjords, I have San Francisco Bay. I always try to work a San Francisco Bay into any map I do.

Oh yeah, and I completely messed up the latitude. I thought this place was way up north, thus the Shires. If this is a Plate Carée projection, I calculated this is only a little north of thirty degrees. Oops.

I moved Lada Hakuspiet. Originally it was the major river that emptied into Nacker Bay, but I decided the major center of Stoutling civilization, such as there is, was in the crescent-shaped valley to the north and moved it accordingly.

I need to look around and see if the large barrier mountains to the east have been named yet.

A little background. This coastline was originally the site of a major Elven kingdom. The elves mysteriously disappeared about 1,200 years ago, perhaps related to the Blight now effecting the people across the mountains. The area was regarded with superstition by locals and remained largely abandoned until a small group of Stoutlings settled at a site near the modern village of Billibottoms about 600 years ago. More recently, a small human fishing village on Cape Shorn has grown into a major center of commerce, taking advantage of the good protected anchorage of Winsome Bay.

RobA
05-08-2008, 04:43 PM
I just can't get used to that lighting from the SE! All the rivers look like veins standing out on the back of an old guy's hand :P

-Rob A>

NeonKnight
05-08-2008, 04:45 PM
I wanna go to Twitbollocks and then later Lillypudding :P

And just what is there at Bushhollow ;)

su_liam
05-08-2008, 05:23 PM
I just can't get used to that lighting from the SE! All the rivers look like veins standing out on the back of an old guy's hand :P

-Rob A>

It's kind of a default. I'll try to fix it on the next go-round. If I use a slightly oblique view it actually works better, cause you don't just see the shadowy south sides of mountains. And some of those things actually are sticking out like veins. Bryce erosion sometimes has some issues.

I wanna go to Twitbollocks and then later Lillypudding :P

And just what is there at Bushhollow ;)

I didn't mean for Bushhollow to sound quite that dirty. It's just a depression in the ground with a lot of bushes. Now Lingara's L... ^x^x^x^x never mind...

RobA
05-08-2008, 06:15 PM
It's kind of a default. I'll try to fix it on the next go-round. If I use a slightly oblique view it actually works better, cause you don't just see the shadowy south sides of mountains. And some of those things actually are sticking out like veins. Bryce erosion sometimes has some issues.

I'd assumed it was on purpose, following the "In the Norther hemisphere the sun always shines from a southernly direction" school of thought...

-Rob A>

su_liam
05-08-2008, 06:22 PM
Yeah... That's what I shoulda said.

Baziron
05-09-2008, 06:01 AM
*cringe* Can't read... text... the colours... too painful... *gack*

(Honestly tho, the colours are hard too read, will the bright blue/red on top of white/grey)

su_liam
05-09-2008, 03:02 PM
I did say I was having trouble with this.

None of the colors are finalized. Although the blue looks pretty good to me on the water. Stands out, but isn't too glaring. Text sizes need to change, too, I think. Ultimately my land colors should be more like Burpwallow, with the hydrography.

I tried scaling heights realistically to the size. I assumed a highest altitude of 14,000 feet and a 600 mile tile size. This was t-t-t-t-terrible. Awful. It was just a long, virtually indiscernible slope up to a barely relieved top and then an equally long, dull, gentle slope back down. <yawn> If I try scaling height so that the slopes look good, it's just far, far too tall, and feels too close in.

The trouble is that the noise is too homogeneous in slope. There is very little variation in slopes between high places and low. This is true even with a ridged simplex multifractal. This is one of many reasons why DEM analysis tools are so flummoxed by synthetic terrains.

I've tried using as square-root filter on the HF, but it flattens the low areas out horribly, and the barrier mountain ridge looks more like a few widely-spaced hillocks with low, gently rolling mudflats in between. Grrrr...

RobA
05-09-2008, 04:49 PM
Try a power greater than .5 then, like .8 or .75. That will flatten the low areas less.

-Rob A>

su_liam
05-16-2008, 01:12 PM
Sorry, I meant square, not square root. I kept trying your idea with poor results, and then I tried square-root with results that had no resemblance to what I'd done before. Finally, I had the good sense to sit down with my beloved HP-48 and think about what the exponents did.

Exponents greater than one tend to flatten low areas and sharpen high areas. Exponents less than one tend to sharpen low areas and round off the peaks. An exponent of one tends(perfectly) to leave everything as is. Oh, yeah, if you want a cueball planet, an exponent of zero is perfect ;) .

RobA
05-16-2008, 02:44 PM
Whoops. I made the same mistake. Of course all this works cause the math is actually assuming the intensities are all fractional 0-1.

-Rob A>

industrygothica
01-22-2009, 07:18 AM
Been a while since The Boroughs have seen an update. Can we look forward to more from you, su_liam?

NymTevlyn
04-19-2009, 02:40 PM
I'll claim this region if the founders don't have any objections.

su_liam
04-20-2009, 04:06 AM
No objections. Do something cool with that big bay, alright?

NymTevlyn
04-20-2009, 10:14 AM
Cool, thanks!

JonathonVolkmer
08-03-2010, 02:54 PM
Well, it would appear that NymTevlyn was been banned shortly after taking over here, and since no else seems to be working on this area, it would give me something interesting to do after I finish my current project. Any objections? I can't guarantee it won't be amateur hour to start, but I'm a quick study.

-JTV

su_liam
08-04-2010, 01:49 AM
Go for it, mate! Be good to her, though, she's suffered neglect and needs lots of love :) .

JonathonVolkmer
08-04-2010, 09:34 AM
I'll do my best! Thanks!

-JTV

industrygothica
08-21-2010, 11:31 PM
So how's this one coming? Any WIPs for us yet?

-IG

JonathonVolkmer
08-23-2010, 09:26 AM
Not just yet - I've been traveling and finishing up some other things. I should have something to post up within the next few weeks though.

JonathonVolkmer
09-08-2010, 03:35 PM
Okay, so I finally have some free time to get something done with this, and I am hoping to have a WIP by the end of this coming weekend. There's just one question I have before I start, and prepare yourself because this is probably obvious to people who have been here longer.

Ready?

Okay, here goes: Where do I get the original height map file? Do I need to use what su_liam's posted (there's nothing wrong with that, I just have a different direction in mind)? I was hoping to start from the ground up, but I'm not really clear where the ground is here, so any help would be most welcome.

On a side note, I also wanted to change the Region's name to "The Gallant Coast." Should I make a new thread, or can someone edit this one?

industrygothica
09-08-2010, 06:25 PM
I have my thoughts, but I'll reserve them until you hear from a community leader for answers to your questions. What I will say, however, is that before you change too much, you should first check the wiki to ensure that whatever changes you make won't impact other areas. Namely, and page that references "The Boroughs" would have to be changed to reference the new name instead. Just something to think about.

-IG

Midgardsormr
09-09-2010, 01:59 AM
The original heightfield came from NeonKnight's Fractal Terrains file. Redrobes has been providing the high res images we've been working from.

Redrobes
09-09-2010, 06:39 AM
Here you go. You may need to adjust the brightness etc

JonathonVolkmer
09-09-2010, 10:45 AM
Muchas gracias to everyone for the responses - those are gorgeous RedRobes, I can't wait to get started now!

Pertaining to the possibility of a name change, The Boroughs appears to be referenced only 4 times, at the top of this page (http://cwbp.cartographersguild.com/index.php?title=Orvaelos), the second sentence of this page (http://cwbp.cartographersguild.com/index.php?title=The_Tawaren_Basin), on its own page (http://cwbp.cartographersguild.com/index.php?title=The_Boroughs) which remains blank, and in the alt text of the overview image (http://cwbp.cartographersguild.com/index.php?title=Project_Overview). It doesn't appear to have interacted much with the histories of either of those regions, at least not for the last thousand years or so (http://cwbp.cartographersguild.com/index.php?title=Nagolish_Empire). Is there anyone specific I need to direct this request to?

Redrobes
09-09-2010, 02:24 PM
Cheers, I'll change the title then since su-liam has seen the post and handed it off. Personally I am glad there is interest in the CWBP and would like to get behind anyone who wants to keep pushing it further so long as it generally fits in with the neighborhood.

Midgardsormr
09-09-2010, 11:24 PM
I'm likewise pleased to see some interest. I'm looking forward to getting my personal time back so that I can finally contribute some more. Art school is hard work!

I'll make an effort to keep track of this thread, so if you have anything to discuss concerning the relationship of the Gallant Coast to Tawaren, I'll be listening. At the moment, the only trade route between the two areas appears to be down the Stoutwater river to the hallows in Lake Medre. The mountains are sparsely inhabited by semi-nomadic hillfolk who have relatively free reign over the northern parts of the range, since the plague wiped out much of the competition. The hillfolk may be related to the Stoutlings, but their culture is considerably different. There are likely numerous stone monuments throughout the mountains. The significance and function of these monuments is yet to be determined, although at least some of them serve navigational and ceremonial functions for the nomads.

JonathonVolkmer
09-09-2010, 11:50 PM
Well that all sounds good midgardsormr, and I might have a few ideas about the monuments down the road. For now, the only thing I've decided for sure is that the coast line will be largely dominated by the Galapagos, giant turtle people. They are descended from nomadic outcasts from the deep ocean, and have to to Ansium seeking asylum and a new life. Their society is largely divided into rigid castes, and while they wear little clothing their shells are decorated heavily with ornate and sometimes magical tattoos. Any more detail will have to wait until after I actually have a map.