PDA

View Full Version : *** March Challenge - Mapping in Black and White ***

torstan
03-08-2012, 12:42 PM
This month the challenge is clear, some might even say it's black and white.

In many older maps there was only one tone allowed - giving the wealth of texture and hatching we see in woodcut images. In today's press ebooks offer the self same limitations. Kindle books have a very limited range of greys and usually perform best when the image is in black and white.

This month the subject matter is unconstrained but you must create a map using only black and white - no colour, and shades of grey are only allowed through anti-aliasing for black lines.

The challenge will close on the 28th of March, with 3 days of voting before the end of the month.

To enter, add a new thread to this forum with the title:

March Challenge Entry - <entry name>

Before each thumbnail, add the tag: ### Latest WIP ###

Here's the Thumbnails for the challenge:

March Challenge Thumbnails (http://www.cartographersguild.com/forumdisplay.php?83-Current-Mapping-Challenge-Thumbnails)

Good luck!

Gamerprinter
03-08-2012, 04:48 PM
So, I'm thinking I need to make a Japanese town map for an upcoming product, (Way of the Samurai - for Kaidan) and of course all my maps for Kaidan are hand-drawn based maps. While the final published map will be in full color, I may do all the preliminary work as B/W lineart only, enough to satsify the theme of this challenge, post it here - then finish it for my actual needs.

I've been hoping that this would be this month's challenge, so I could participate again - the previous two challenges didn't interest me much.

Nighthawk
03-09-2012, 11:27 AM
Is it possible to submit one map to both the normal Mapping Challenge and the Lite Mapping Challenge at the same time?

Gamerprinter
03-09-2012, 11:32 AM
Is it possible to submit one map to both the normal Mapping Challenge and the Lite Mapping Challenge at the same time?

If you haven't won a full Map Challenge, then it is possible to enter both, however, once you win a full Map Challenge, you cannot enter a Lite Challenge, as you are now 'over qualified' for the opportunity. Winners of Golden Compasses cannot enter a Lite Challenge (you just won last month's Challenge, right?)

GP

Nighthawk
03-09-2012, 11:38 AM
Yeah, I did. Makes sense, so no problem. :D

As I normally do only tactical maps, I'm trying to think of what to do here that would make the map special. Making an "old school" dungeon map in the traditional black/white style just doesn't feel like enough. Need to give it more thought.

Gamerprinter
03-09-2012, 11:52 AM
I said, my plan is to create an overhead view of a town map. So that's one option. You could also create a regional/world map, a cavern map, or any kind of map, including an old school dungeon map. The point is open your mind a bit, escape the obvious. So if making a dungeon map seems too obvious for your perfect B/W challenge map, then break your idea mold and attempt something outside that mind set. Think of a map that you'd normally do in full color that is not a dungeon map, then do it in B/W only to comply to the challenge requirements.

I personally don't care for old school dungeon maps - so that wasn't the obvious B/W project in my eyes.

GP

Master TMO
03-10-2012, 10:19 AM
News Flash! I will *not* be entering this challenge with a hasty and ill-defined map concept that I will then fail to deliver on!

You may now return to you regular daily activities, whatever they may be.

EricPoehlsen
03-10-2012, 01:17 PM
So this means you will bring us a perfect black and white map that leaves us all in utter amazement? :D

Master TMO
03-10-2012, 03:48 PM
I left the door open for it, but no promises. ;)

lostatsea
03-14-2012, 10:47 PM
43062Question ? I was just "Playing " with a half tone tutorial. Would that be Legit for this challenge. Although it looks like Greys when zoomed in it is only black and white. The greys are illusionary ! See attachment. Need ruling before I even start.

jfrazierjr
03-15-2012, 08:52 AM
Ultimately, it's up to the voters to decide what maps fit the criteria. Personally, I think that's a great idea and it is quite deceptive(in a good way). I don't have any problem with this since to me it meets the challenge rules.

Master TMO
03-15-2012, 11:42 AM
Eep. Good thing I thought to drop in and just check up. I actually did have an idea that I had worked on last night some, but I misremembered the challenge. I used grayscales in it. Hmm, will have to think about it and see if it's still doable in pure B/W.

Schwarzkreuz
03-19-2012, 12:27 AM
This challenge is surely becomming scary. A lot of the Cartographers I admire starts to show up this months. I try to do something i hope I find time for it.

Diamond
03-20-2012, 01:42 AM
Come on... enter.... you know you want to... :D

edit: Heh heh, I see that you did.

Schwarzkreuz
03-20-2012, 11:42 PM
Perhaps today. I am very bounded to some jobs, that needed to be done. Woah, I ty my best.

Lukc
03-27-2012, 01:54 PM
(On the half-tone - I think that's fine)

Oh, yeah ... I'm entering too. I didn't want to say anything until I had enough done that I knew I would be able to deliver on it! :D

torstan
03-28-2012, 06:16 PM
Note that this challenge will be closing at the end of today. I'll lock the threads at 12pm EST. Make sure you get your entries in on time!

jfrazierjr
03-28-2012, 06:51 PM
Not surprisingly, yet another challenge i did not get to(and won't) complete.....bummer....

Also note, you posted 12 PM (Noon) EST as the lock time but posted around 5 PM EST... do you plan to travel back in time to perform this feat? :P

torstan
03-28-2012, 07:06 PM
:) You're right (of course). It'll close at midnight EST.

Lukc
03-29-2012, 03:01 AM
You should just use zee 24 hour klock :) it ist much more ... efficient.