PDA

View Full Version : April Entry: The Wreck of the Pedeuna Sesitora

helium3
04-08-2008, 01:32 PM
My shtick with this entry is that it's a map of the area of an ancient sea battle too place in. Somewhere in the area is the wreck of a warship that contains the MacGuffin. The only clues to the location of the wreck are contained within the recently re-discovered eyewitness account of one of the wreck's survivors.

Right now, I've only put together the base map and the hex grid.

Sigurd
04-08-2008, 03:29 PM
I love how you played up the 'Secret' aspect of the challenge. Wow, I mean try and find your way there! Its perfect! :) ;)

Sigurd

helium3
04-08-2008, 04:30 PM
I love how you played up the 'Secret' aspect of the challenge. Wow, I mean try and find your way there! Its perfect! :) ;)

Sigurd

Hah hah. Yes. This is totally my final entry.

SpamValiant
04-08-2008, 05:07 PM
All you need to do is add some grid references and then we can take turns to pick a spot to search.

What do we win if we find the wreck?

helium3
04-08-2008, 05:24 PM
All you need to do is add some grid references and then we can take turns to pick a spot to search.

What do we win if we find the wreck?

An invisible and intangible pile of gold, of course. And XP.

helium3
04-08-2008, 05:27 PM
And here's the water redone with some cool plasma effects. I've seen this effect used on a couple of maps and have always wanted to use it on one of mine.

Kasim
04-08-2008, 05:39 PM
In that case, it has to be perched on the edge of the lighter area. With the luck of the typical adventurer the wreckage is perched on the edge swaying with the current.

helium3
04-08-2008, 07:23 PM
In that case, it has to be perched on the edge of the lighter area. With the luck of the typical adventurer the wreckage is perched on the edge swaying with the current.

Heh heh. Well, I'm sure there'll be at least another iteration of the plasma map before I settle on one I like. Besides, I'm not entirely convinced that the colors should map to depth. Too realistic for my tastes since I'm thinking of this in terms of a fantasy map.

RobA
04-08-2008, 09:48 PM
"B-5"

"You sunk my battleship!" :(

-Rob A>

helium3
04-08-2008, 10:38 PM
Hah hah.

Maybe I should re-title this one, "The Hunt For The Red October."

Here's a re-jigger of the plasma map. Barring disaster or inspiration, I'll be sticking with this for my base map. If I get far enough along with the rest of it, I may go back and try to figure out how to make it look more like something that was painted.

### Latest WIP ###

Sigurd
04-09-2008, 12:41 AM
I like that background. It's looks vaguely like a whirling gale.

sigurd

Kagenoku
04-09-2008, 02:28 PM
The grid reminds me of the old battleship background, but it is a believable sea background.

SpamValiant
04-09-2008, 03:00 PM
Like the layout on the 2nd version of the plasma-fied map very much, though for my taste I'd have gone a bit lighter overall (it's probably my eyes:D). Looking forward to seeing how this goes...

ravells
04-09-2008, 03:53 PM

Sigurd

This really made me laugh! :)

Robbie
04-09-2008, 04:12 PM
I don't know what happened...but I think my super admin powers messed up the thread title...and I can't remember what it was supposed to be...could you either edit it back yourself or tell me what it should be so I can fix it?

Edit: Nevermind...I found it in the still cached RSS feed....byawwww!!!!

helium3
04-14-2008, 12:28 PM
Errrr. I thought I posted this last night, but I guess I forgot to hit the actual button. That's what happens when you try to work with the intertubes after an exhausting day of filling my face at a birthday brunch followed up with running a 5 hour D&D game where I as the DM am pretty much pulling stuff out of my behind.

Anyhow, in my mind, this map would be used for a online PbP or PbE game, which is why it's got the grid and the colors are more "saturated" than they would be if I were to print it. The nice thing about using Illustrator is that it's pretty easy to change a lot of the fiddly details once the map's done.

### Latest WIP ###

helium3
04-14-2008, 12:31 PM
I like that background. It's looks vaguely like a whirling gale.

sigurd

Interesting you should say that. The base for the sea (and land) shading is actually two different plasma maps. One I got from a java applet I found in the intertubes. The other is actually a photo I took of some storm clouds here in Seattle a few weeks back. When I realized I needed two plasma fractals to get the look I wanted, it also occurred to me that the picture on my desktop (of the underbelly of the storm) looked exactly like a plasma fractal.

So, that you think it reminds you of a whirling gale is kinda cool. :)

ravells
04-14-2008, 04:15 PM
Sorry.....couldn't resist!!! :)

helium3
04-14-2008, 11:41 PM
Sorry.....couldn't resist!!! :)

That's awesome! I have something similar pasted to the front of my fridge door.

RPMiller
04-22-2008, 12:35 AM
He lies. He could have resisted he just wanted to get in on the merry making. :P

Hehehe, made me smile. :)