PDA

View Full Version : Sorceress's tower

Bogie
03-14-2012, 02:20 AM
This is a fairly basic 6 level tower. Here is the 1st level.

Bogie
03-14-2012, 11:29 PM
And here is the second level of the the tower.

Bogie
03-15-2012, 02:24 PM
Third level master bedroom and guest quarters.

Chrisbo
03-15-2012, 08:23 PM
Hi,
Sweet Floorplan!
Which Program d' you use? Looks like Pyromancers Dungeon Painter

greets C

Bogie
03-15-2012, 10:45 PM
Welcome to the Guild Chrisbo! Glad you like the maps, more to come.

Mostly I use Dundjinni, with some touch up in Photoshop.

I never heard of Pyromancers Dungeon Painter, I'll have to check it out.

Level 4 Laboratory, Library and Summoning Chamber.

Bogie
03-16-2012, 11:43 PM
Level 5 storage and a small treasure room.
I know the stairwell isn't quite right but I haven't found any good circular ones that go both up and down. If you have one to share I would appreciate it.

Bogie
03-17-2012, 02:11 PM
Level 6, last level, Servants and Guards Barracks. Level 5 & 6 could be interchanged and adding additional levels would be easy if needed.

Feedback & suggestions appreciated (especially with the stairs, still not thrilled with them.)

jfrazierjr
03-17-2012, 02:35 PM
agreed on the stairs. You could pull it into PS and try to fix the shadows, but even still, to me it looks off and not fixable without rebuilding from scratch. Since you have 3 levels, the middle one would need an entryway on the side so that the cone containing the stairs could continue unbroken. If you have the component parts, I am sure you could likely fix it up.

Jacktannery
03-17-2012, 03:23 PM
Hi Bogie - everything seems to be about stairs today. Not sure if this will be any use, but I fiddled with a staircase that someone else made and added a landing and tried to make it look like a staircase landing that could potentially be going up and down. Not sure if its any good really - here it is.

43150 43151

Bogie
03-17-2012, 04:26 PM
I think you have the right Idea there Jack. If I work with this and JFrazier's advice I think I can make something better. Level 4 is OK if I tweak in some shadows, but 5 needs fixin, and probably 6 so they can get to the roof or a new level if one is made. Thanks guys!

jfrazierjr
03-17-2012, 05:24 PM
jacktannery, that's the right idea and direction.... With some time and playing boogie can likely come up with a winner.... so, 3 distinct images are needed:

Begin up
Middle up/down with landing
End up

If I had some good textures to use at the moment, I would try to knock these out, but I don't really have the needed resources...

jdblair5
03-17-2012, 06:22 PM
cool stuff

Bogie
03-18-2012, 01:26 AM
Thanks for the help and compliments. I think I've fixed it.
Here are the 3 types of stairs:
And here are the 3 corrected tower levels:

jfrazierjr
03-18-2012, 01:52 PM
The first one looks really good. The second one is rather meh... The shadows are just not distinct enough to indicate direction... the top ones need some lightening up. Third one is a good one, but perhaps needs a wall to help really sell the up/down dichotomy where it overlaps???

Bogie
03-18-2012, 03:11 PM
Yeah, I wasn't crazy about the Up set either, but I was to tired last night to fix it. How's this?

jfrazierjr
03-18-2012, 04:45 PM
I would say too dark at the bottom and not light enough at the top.

This is not perfect, if I had the original images in layers, I could probably get it right, but this gives the idea. The base layer should have no darkening other than the step riser shadows, and and the image should get lighter as it goes up.

I did a circular selection and a B/W gradient with an asymetrical conical gradient on a 50% grey layer set to overlay... then I painted the bottom half back grey so that the original showed exactly, duplicate the layer and poof.... If had the original, I would then add the riser shadows above all of these layers cause the lightening in my copy bleaches them out as the stairs go up.

Jacktannery
03-18-2012, 04:53 PM
That's quite brilliant jfrazier - Bogie I'm going to take a copy of your first and last staircase and jrazier's middle one for use later on - it is a wonderfully useful set.

jfrazierjr
03-18-2012, 04:57 PM
That's quite brilliant jfrazier - Bogie I'm going to take a copy of your first and last staircase and jrazier's middle one for use later on - it is a wonderfully useful set.

I would say hang on... the one I posted is really not quite right... I would need all the component pieces to do it up to my satisfaction... But now that Boogie has the idea, perhaps he will...

jfrazierjr
03-18-2012, 06:40 PM
Oh crap..... there's a reason people don't make many circular stairs in a "realistic" style, cause it's darn hard!!

If you guys like the effect, but want different textures, just let me know where you get the textures you want and I can easily swap them out.

Bogie
03-18-2012, 10:31 PM
Well, I've got the idea, not sure if I can do anything with it. ( doesn't mean I won't try ) I have no idea yet how to work with layers and some of the effects you described. I made mine by adding and subtracting shadows all on one image. The funny thing is that the darker shadowed steps look twice as dark when displayed here as they did when I made them and looked at them in photoshop.

But I agree with Jacktannery that your mod of my stairs looks much better than mine. Your second one is OK and better than a lot that I've seen, but it lacks real depth to the stairs.

I made a new version from scratch that works best on light colored textures, still a bit to dark at the top.

jfrazierjr
03-19-2012, 09:25 AM
Well, I've got the idea, not sure if I can do anything with it. ( doesn't mean I won't try ) I have no idea yet how to work with layers and some of the effects you described.

Time to teach then... when you add a layer an set it to overlay, painting with dark "shifts" the color in the painted area to a darker shade, likewise painting with white "shifts" the painted area's color lighter. This is how I added shadows to the rock image and my suggested method for adding shadows to an object such as the rock I did earlier on. Now.... when you fill a layer with 50% grey (808080 in html notation) and set to overlay, since it is midway between the two extremes it does nothing to modify the underlying image. This is a VERY useful technique because then you don't destroy your original work underneath as you would if you just "painted" shadows in using a low opacity brush and several passes.

As for the gradient thing, I am using GIMP, so I am not 100% sure that Photoshop has this(but I expect it does)... anyway I am going to assume it does.

Make a circular selection just a "bit" larger then the interior of the stairwell(I started with this on a black canvas and saved as a channel for future use).
Make sure color is set to Black/White Foreground/Background.
Click the Gradient tool
On the tool options, for GIMP, there is a drop down for "shape"
Select the conic (asym) shape
click and hold down the mouse button in the center of the image(middle of central column of the stairway)
drag to the midpoint of your wall and release the mouse button

But I agree with Jacktannery that your mod of my stairs looks much better than mine. Your second one is OK and better than a lot that I've seen, but it lacks real depth to the stairs.
Yea, I think I need to make the shadows for the risers larger... it DID look much better on my screen than it does here....

I made a new version from scratch that works best on light colored textures, still a bit to dark at the top.

Looks good... I like those textures better also vs your original ones... I think you have a winner if you make the rest of the set...though I would say make the "bottom" darker and leave the top as is....

Bogie
03-19-2012, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the Tut, I'll give it a try.

jfrazierjr
03-20-2012, 09:15 PM
I made something new with the stuff I had lying around(which is not much). See here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?18047-Stairs&p=180502#post180502)... Let me know what you think.