PDA

View Full Version : March Challenge Entry - Map of Canada

Hai-Etlik
03-16-2012, 12:40 AM
Wow, I hadn't even noticed my challenge suggestion had been selected. Well, it just so happens I began work on a map that fits the theme without realizing it. I did actually start after the challenge was announced, I just didn't notice it until now.

Previous work here http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?17980-Map-of-Canada

I'll continue in this thread.

### Latest WIP ###

Yes, there's a bunch of colour now, but that's just for for while I work in QGIS.

Hai-Etlik
03-16-2012, 02:25 AM
This is a completely different symbolization from How I'll be doing it in the end, but for now, here it is in pure black and white.

### Latest WIP ###

There seems to be a bit of a glytch wit the mountain symbol when it goes through the print composer, but it doesn't really matter as I'll be redoing the symbols later anyway.

Hai-Etlik
03-17-2012, 11:44 PM
Here's a test run of the stippling algorithm with 20000 points and 20 iterations. It took several hours. I may have to come up with a more efficient way to do this.

cereth
03-18-2012, 12:46 AM
Have you ever played with a program called "scree painter". I haven't actually tried using it but it might give a similar effect.

http://www.screepainter.com/index.html

Hai-Etlik
03-18-2012, 04:48 AM
Have you ever played with a program called "scree painter". I haven't actually tried using it but it might give a similar effect.

http://www.screepainter.com/index.html

Not sure I could get quite what I'm after out of that, but it does look interesting. Switching to an error diffusion algorithm like they use might be better in the long run than my current centroidal voronoi algorithm.

I'm currently running it for all forested biomes with trees spaced at 7km. Over the whole map that's over 150,000 tree symbols eventually.

I've switched my initial seeding from random to a triangular lattice with some jitter. That sped up the seed phase and hopefully won't need as many iterations of the voronoi algorithm. I'm going with 5 iterations this time.

Ramah
03-18-2012, 05:03 AM
Here's a test run of the stippling algorithm with 20000 points and 20 iterations. It took several hours. I may have to come up with a more efficient way to do this.

What algorithm is that? That looks very interesting to me in regards TreeThing.

Hai-Etlik
03-18-2012, 06:12 AM
What algorithm is that? That looks very interesting to me in regards TreeThing.

Seed the space with points
Compute a voronoi diagram from the points
Clip the diagram to a mask polygon
Find the centroids of the voronoi cells
Use the new points to generate a new voronoi diagram
Repeat

You can substitute in a weighted centroid function based on a density function (Like a greyscale image) to vary the density. I've implemented that as well, but it's even slower still.

An earlier thread on the topic is here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?14373-Weighted-Centroidal-Voronoi-Stippling-using-JTS

Ramah
03-18-2012, 07:33 AM
I see from your other thread you were working on using this method to make a program that places trees etc. Very interesting.

ravells
03-19-2012, 05:09 AM
I love your sense of experimentation, Hai. I hope you get the stippling program sorted soon!

Hai-Etlik
03-19-2012, 08:37 AM
I love your sense of experimentation, Hai. I hope you get the stippling program sorted soon!

Thanks. It's not any faster, but I have made some code improvements. In particular, the codebases for weighted and unweighted stippling are now combined.

Here's the latest output loaded into QGIS

### Latest WIP ###

I've tossed together some better looking symbols, though ultimately this is going to need a whole bunch of different ones. The mountains also need to be sorted by y coordinate.

A large area of forest around the great lakes disappeared while I was trying to clean up my geometry a bit and I didn't notice until I was several hours into a run through the stippler. I've run with it for now to see how things are looking.

I probably need to increase the size of the buffer around lakes and rivers a tad, and reduce it around mountains.

Lukc
03-19-2012, 10:47 AM
It looks awesome. I agree, the rivers need a bit more buffer ... and one more thing: is Iceland really so forested?

Ramah
03-19-2012, 03:36 PM
It looks awesome. I agree, the rivers need a bit more buffer ... and one more thing: is Iceland really so forested?

Hehe. I was just about to ask the exact same thing. I thought it was very lacking in wood?

Hai-Etlik
03-19-2012, 07:20 PM
Hehe. I was just about to ask the exact same thing. I thought it was very lacking in wood?

Yeah that threw me off when I first saw it, but the data I have is for the natural ecosystem without human interference. Before humans arrived, Iceland was predominantly boreal forest. It's probably going to be covered up with the legend anyway.

Lukc
03-20-2012, 04:00 AM
Yeah that threw me off when I first saw it, but the data I have is for the natural ecosystem without human interference. Before humans arrived, Iceland was predominantly boreal forest. It's probably going to be covered up with the legend anyway.

Could be true, dat ... you need wood to burn with lava.

Hai-Etlik
03-20-2012, 04:14 AM
### Latest WIP ###

Maybe I went a bit too short on the mountain buffer this time.

Hai-Etlik
03-20-2012, 03:52 PM
Inkscape isn't able to handle 80,000 tree symbols. This could prove problematic.

My new approach will be to take the tree and mountain layers, combine them and sort them, then add an attribute with a random value. Then symbolize on that value. Then I'll turn off all other layers and export a high res raster image from QGIS and load that into Inkscape along with vector versions of the rivers, coast, etc and do final composition that way.

Djekspek
03-20-2012, 04:37 PM
80.000?? wow... how many trees are there in Canada anyway? ;) but I must say the result so far looks pretty amazing! cheers, DJ

Hai-Etlik
03-20-2012, 05:03 PM
80.000?? wow... how many trees are there in Canada anyway? ;) but I must say the result so far looks pretty amazing! cheers, DJ

More than 80,000

### Latest WIP ###

Hai-Etlik
03-21-2012, 01:24 AM
OK, now with symbols for non-forest biomes.

### Latest WIP ###

Hai-Etlik
03-22-2012, 03:40 AM
Now in Inkscape and with new mountain symbols

### Latest WIP ###

Lukc
03-22-2012, 05:32 AM
I feel envy. Seriously. How do you do all that? That question is rhetorical. It's going to be easier to just eat your brain and get your skills that way.

Hai-Etlik
03-22-2012, 05:59 AM
I feel envy. Seriously. How do you do all that? That question is rhetorical. It's going to be easier to just eat your brain and get your skills that way.

Well, the intro to QGIS tutorial covers some of it, and I do intend to get back to it after this contest.

loogie
03-22-2012, 09:46 AM
really cool, QGIS eh? I'll have to check it out!

I think the "non-canadian borders" should be done in something other than hatching.. even just shading would look better to me, simple because it ruins all your pretty symbols... other then that.. making THAT map from GIS software? freaking brilliant..

and Canada has far more trees... remember we live mainly in the southern like 10% of our country.. the rest? well... trees.

ravells
03-22-2012, 03:41 PM
Looking bloody spectacular. I'm just wondering though whether the grassy symbol is a bit big compared to the tree symbols?

Hai-Etlik
03-22-2012, 07:24 PM
really cool, QGIS eh? I'll have to check it out!

I think the "non-canadian borders" should be done in something other than hatching.. even just shading would look better to me, simple because it ruins all your pretty symbols... other then that.. making THAT map from GIS software? freaking brilliant..

and Canada has far more trees... remember we live mainly in the southern like 10% of our country.. the rest? well... trees.

And rocks! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxTpIMK5NSo

### Latest WIP ###

Hai-Etlik
03-23-2012, 06:26 AM
More labels

### Latest WIP ###

Hai-Etlik
03-25-2012, 03:28 AM
A few more labels, the Greenland ice cap, and a legend.

### Latest WIP ###

I'm feeling pretty happy with it now, though I have my doubts about how I'll fair against Diamond and DJ.

Hai-Etlik
03-25-2012, 09:34 PM
Fixed a couple of minor glitches and made the boreal forest symbols a bit more sparse to make it easier to distinguish from the temperate conifer forest.

### Latest WIP ###

To save space, it's in indexed colour mode with only 8 colours. That seems to be plenty for antialiasing.

Lukc
03-27-2012, 06:48 PM
Durnit, that looks awesome. Meaning that I am in awe.

Maybe some of those northern rivers look a bit fat, but I have no idea how big they really are. They look plenty huge. Anyway, back to the kow-towing and saying I'm going to have to learn how to do stuff like this. Soonly, I hope.

O.o

Hai-Etlik
03-28-2012, 12:37 AM
Durnit, that looks awesome. Meaning that I am in awe.

Maybe some of those northern rivers look a bit fat, but I have no idea how big they really are. They look plenty huge. Anyway, back to the kow-towing and saying I'm going to have to learn how to do stuff like this. Soonly, I hope.

O.o

The Mackenzie and Yukon really are huge river systems. The Mackenzie-Peace-Finlay system is second only to the Mississippi-Missouri system in North America in terms of length, drainage area, and discharge. They aren't to scale though, the width is just a visual indication of the relative size of the rivers.

dangerdog15
03-28-2012, 01:11 PM
Very nice and professional. I could see this published in a book.

Gidde
03-28-2012, 04:10 PM
Hey, not often that I see a map on these forums featuring a place I've actually been. Windsor is a lot of fun :) The map is cool too!!