PDA

View Full Version : Our Fishing Area

Lukc
03-20-2012, 11:06 AM

And this is the last page of the reason I've been very quiet on this forum for the last two weeks or so. Unbelievable how much work a decent brochure can entail! :)

A serious map from me, for a change. This is a map of our fly-fishing area along with several of our "partner" hotels - I.E. some of the places that sell our fishing permits and were decent enough to contribute financially to our brochure.

Wannabehero
03-20-2012, 01:46 PM
čudovit! fantastico!

Is that brochure in Italian or Slovenian? Both?

Regardless, that is a very well done map. Very crisp and clean, exactly what I would want in a parks and fishing hand map.

Lukc
03-20-2012, 03:19 PM
It's in Italian and French, actually - but the last page is mostly identical in both versions: the German/English and the Italian/French. However, now you've reminded me ... I have to get the credits translated! There's just so much fiddling before something like this is finished, it's ridiculous :). Once it's done, you hand it off to the printer's and then hope it all turns out fine, so you don't end up with piles of typo-ridden material :)

Lukc
03-20-2012, 03:55 PM

Ok ... fixed what I noticed :) Tx Wannabehero!

Schwarzkreuz
03-20-2012, 11:48 PM
Oh man, you make me envious. This is a great use of Infographics on map.

Lukc
03-21-2012, 05:32 AM
Thanks Schwarzkreuz :) I'm still learning how to do it optimally, but it's one of my favourite kinds of design projects. Making something that actually carries useful information.

And I just noticed that I have to fix two phone numbers. You'd think typos get noticed and corrected in projects like this ... but they don't. :P

ravells
03-21-2012, 05:59 AM
Superb work, Lukc. Really clear (to the extent that I don't read Slovene - except for catch & release! ). The only thing I'd suggest is to run the colours through a colour blindness checker like this one. (http://www.etre.com/tools/colourblindsimulator/)Also, if it's mean to be a freebee and you want people to photocopy it, then check to see it works as a photocopy. If it's not meant to be a freebee and not photocopied then use colours that won't work on a photocopy!

Lukc
03-21-2012, 09:53 AM
That's a pretty nifty colour blindness tool! :) fortunately I'm colour-blind myself, so it will only look strange to those weird tritanopes. But the colour-coding isn't essential to the information anyway, it's just there to make it easier to distinguish between individual locations.

It's actually going into print on a brochure, so I doubt it'll see photocopying. Cyans are the ones that get photocopiers all muddle up, right?

ravells
03-21-2012, 11:22 AM
Yeah, I think it is. Wasn't that the reason why the D&D old school maps were printed using that blue ? So they didn't photocopy well? I wonder whether photocopiers have come on since then though.

Gamerprinter
03-21-2012, 11:28 AM
Blue copies fine on a copier. Actually its in the darkroom for printer cameras where blue is used as it doesn't show in camera work.

ravells
03-21-2012, 12:13 PM
Thanks GP. I read about it ages ago and always wondered what deal was with the blue print.