PDA

View Full Version : Finished map of Këllon

rapatuan
03-25-2012, 09:46 PM
Hello,

I just finished a map for a spansih RPG, Taura, Lands of Alchemy, and I'm quite glad of the result so I thought about showing it on the guild. I've created it using different techniques learnt on the guild. If you have some specific question, don't be afraid to ask, I'll be more than happy to answer it.

Here's the map at 100ppp:

I'll be posting details at higher resolution tomorrow.

Lalaithion
03-25-2012, 10:50 PM
Up near Tierras Salvajes there are a couple rivers that dont go anywhere.

Slylok
03-25-2012, 11:03 PM
Wow really cool style rapatuan! I can tell a lot of work went into this. The only thing i would do differently is give the mountains the same perspective as the rest of your elements. the forests and clouds look like they are viewed from a 50-60 degree angle but the mountains are from directly above.

rapatuan
03-25-2012, 11:26 PM
Lalaithion, the original concept of the map provided by the client contained a lot of flaws regarding rivers. I had a lot of concernes about it, so I posted this http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?16867-Fantasy-map-Problem-regarding-rivers searching for some help. I talked a lot to the client and decided to change the original rivers to make them more realistic. Only a few of the not-ending-in-the-sea where left unchanged.

Slylok, I began the map looking for a top-down view, but then in some parts changed the perspective to a 60º facing view. The problem is I already had the mountains and roads laid down and didn't have the courage to change their perspective. I agree with you in that it would definetely look better the other way. The concept of the map shifted from photorealism to illustration during its creation, and finally ended being nor one nor the other, but i like how it ended anyway.

Lukc
03-26-2012, 05:01 AM
Wow! No two ways about it, it looks gorgeous. I love the colours, they're so vibrant and wholesome :) I can just imagine playing in this setting, it draws you in so well.

Have some rep and more congo rats! :)

Klaus van der Kroft
03-26-2012, 09:28 AM
I really, really like this map. As Lukc mentioned, the colours, the colours!

I also like the detail of the sea routes between ports. Mind if I copy the idea? The clouds also give it a very refreshing look.

One question, though, since the map is in Castillian: Where the "Imperio Íldat" is located, there is also a "Mar Ildita". Shouldn't the gentilic be "Íldita" rather than "Ildita"?

Great piece of work. Reputation for you!

loogie
03-26-2012, 09:53 AM
nice work! it looks great!

rapatuan
03-26-2012, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the comments! About the Íldita, I really don't know and I'd have to ask, I kept thinking of the similarity between Mar Ildita an Maldita (Cursed) but never thought about been related to Íldat. Your remark is very reasonable. It's been proofread several times by the author of the game but maybe he skipped it.

About the colours, at some time they were too imposing and brilliant and tried to mute them a bit to make it more realistic, but in the end I choosed this not-so-realistic-more cartoony look and I'm glad I did. I really hope the client likes it too!

P.S. what is rep and congo rats? It has something to do with the forums or is it some sort of jargon that I don't understand?

P.S. Ok I sorted out the rep thing in the faq (Thanks a lot!) but still don't know what congo rats stands for... anyway, thanks one more time!

Klaus van der Kroft
03-26-2012, 11:17 AM
Congratulations > Congrats > Congo-Rats!

That, or some people dislike your map so much they are sending you giant vermin from the deepest jungles of Africa to eat your eyes while you sleep.

Cartographers can be a very bloodthirsty bunch.

Veldehar
03-26-2012, 11:39 AM
A very attractive map, nice style. One would think the client will be pleased.

Congo Rats are tastier than most rats.

rapatuan
03-26-2012, 11:42 AM
Oops! Now I get it, silly me! There's some chocolate candy here in Spain named Conguitos and I was stuck thinking that they were giving me some candy or something similar to rep. But I couldn't quite understand where did a rat fit in there....

Veldehar, I hope you're right about the client, thanks for the support!

rapatuan
03-27-2012, 09:00 AM
As promised here are some close up shots:

Underwater volcano and a view of some islands

To add interest to the ocean parts I added some elements like on the ancient maps, except that instead of marine monsters I added whales, a giant squid and a wrecking place like the bermuda triangle. On this pic you can see the shipwrecking place (lower left) and a couple of whales.

There was a lighthouse in the original map and I couldn'y find a suitable icon to represent it, so I went the artistic way and draw a lighthouse from scratch, but then another problem arose: why this artistic element in the map when all the other elements where depicted as icons? It caused some sort of unbalance, eased in some way by the presence of the volcanoes, mainly the underwater one, but it still was a very isolated element on a very big map. I didn't like the representation I had chosen to show the railways, and then I found a way to solve both problems and add some flavour to the map: I would insert some locomotives here and there to make clear that we were dealing with railways, and to counterbalance that I'd add some ships and marine courses to the sea with the objective of adding some interest to the ocean.

Joshua
03-27-2012, 11:43 AM
Cartographers can be a very bloodthirsty bunch.

Mwahahahahaaaa! ;)

Joshua
03-27-2012, 11:46 AM
There was a lighthouse in the original map and I couldn'y find a suitable icon to represent it, so I went the artistic way and draw a lighthouse from scratch, but then another problem arose: why this artistic element in the map when all the other elements where depicted as icons? It caused some sort of unbalance, eased in some way by the presence of the volcanoes, mainly the underwater one, but it still was a very isolated element on a very big map. I didn't like the representation I had chosen to show the railways, and then I found a way to solve both problems and add some flavour to the map: I would insert some locomotives here and there to make clear that we were dealing with railways, and to counterbalance that I'd add some ships and marine courses to the sea with the objective of adding some interest to the ocean.

Cool way of handling it! I think it works. Those particular details don't seem out of place to me, and I do agree that it adds a bit of extra flavor to the map as a whole.

cereth
03-27-2012, 03:36 PM
Very nice. I really like the little artistic touches like the trains, ships, volcanoes, and clouds. The lightening in particular is pretty cool. It's a very sharp colorful work that really cathes the eye. Very nice, sir!

Fury
03-27-2012, 09:46 PM
Really nice, loved the shorelines :)

But the snow on some of the mountain ridges particularly in the north makes them look somewhat like skeletal spines.

rapatuan
04-05-2012, 08:30 PM
Thanks. I have to agree that the mountains are far from perfect... I'll have to improve.

Here are some more close up shots:
A ghost ship awaiting between the clouds

A detailed view of the labeling

Some pirate ships

rapatuan
05-03-2012, 04:51 PM
I also made a political version of the map wich will be printed on the backside of the other one. Here it is. I'm very pleased with the final result.

arsheesh
05-03-2012, 04:59 PM
That turned out very nicely! Great job Rapatuan.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

eViLe_eAgLe
05-03-2012, 05:17 PM
Those clouds! How? I must now! :)

rapatuan
05-04-2012, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the comments! I'm glad you liked it.

As for the clouds they're painted with a spray brush at 60% opacity with some smoke texture and a very distant drop shadow. I'd have to look back the specifics of the brush used as I'm sure I tweaked it somehow, but right now I'm not at the 'drawing' computer so I'm not able to check it up. Will come back with the settings.

Klaus van der Kroft
06-18-2012, 10:50 PM
I also made a political version of the map wich will be printed on the backside of the other one. Here it is. I'm very pleased with the final result.

Una maravilla de mapa. Trabajo de primera categoría, sin duda alguna.

Those clouds! How? I must now! :)

Agreed. REVEAL YOUR SECRET!

Lyandra
06-25-2012, 07:10 AM
Awesome map! :)

rapatuan
06-27-2012, 03:03 AM
Thanks Lyandra and Klaus!

And for the clouds, here are the brush settings that I use: 14px Spray brush, with smoothing turned on, 5% spacing and 60% opacity. I draw them on a layer with drop shadow applied with a very long distance.