PDA

View Full Version : [WIP] Nosgoth

Morgan
03-26-2012, 08:27 PM
Here are the results of my efforts so far. Obviously, it's not finished: I still have to fix vegetation, add labels, borders, and other details.
I think rivers and dimensions (texture sizes, mountain ranges lenght, trees) look more natural, what do you think?
Rivers Police, please check and comment! :D
And any suggestions welcome! =)

*** LATEST WIP***

Gidde
03-26-2012, 08:55 PM
Looking pretty good ... I don't see any river violations, although the one large lake with no outlet looks kind of odd. Underwater outlets and things do exist though, so I don't think that's a major problem. I love the volcano. You do have a bit of forest peeking through your border on the SE side of the map, and the underwater contours are a little strong for my taste, but really that's a nitpick. Overall I think you're on the right track :)

Morgan
03-26-2012, 09:25 PM
Yeah, about those trees... I use a potent alchemical fertilizer, they grow everywhere! :D
No, those small errors will go away when I add the border! ;)

You're right about the lake. This was originally a map from a videogame, and the original versions was not very realistic. In fact, I tried to reshape things to make them more natural. I was thinking about adding a river from that lake, but the only way would be the southeastern forest. I can reshape morphology so that it makes sense, and it would add some color in the endless green. Still thinking about that! ;)

I must admit the volcano came quite good, didn't think I could make it so! I'm really happy with it too! Thanks for the positive feedback, hope to have a definitive version soon! =)

octopod
03-26-2012, 10:06 PM
You could also put salt pans around it to the southeast -- that might look cool!

Diamond
03-27-2012, 01:48 AM
That volcano is damn nice.

Jaxilon
03-27-2012, 02:13 AM
Great job so far and the cracked lava is rockin cool

Sapiento
03-27-2012, 03:51 AM
Very good. One thing that looks a little bit odd is the light on the mountains, they seem to reflect very much light, almost like glass mountains.
I have to second my colleagues, the lava is awesome.

Morgan
03-27-2012, 06:28 AM
Thank you all for the feedback! I'm really glad of the positive comments, good results give the endless hours spent drawing a reason to be! =)

Salt pans would indeed be cool, but since this is the map of a videogame's world, I'm afraid that would change things too much. The northern part of the map is covered in snow, it's the cold north. That volcano is a result of sorcery, and that's why it's so different from the rest of the landscape. Perhaps next time! ;)

About the mountains, yeah, I may have been too generous with lighting. I'll try and play a bit with effects to smooth reflection a bit. I think I'm going to edit a lot of things once I add the parchment texture in the final steps! :)

Veldehar
03-28-2012, 05:54 AM
The water and mountains seem a bit "hyper-real" f that comment makes any sense, LOL. Might be the reflections. The water is at once pretty, and visually a bit disturbing to my eye. Not that disturbing my eye is necessarily a bad thing, LOL, as it seems to fit the styling of the map.

Morgan
03-29-2012, 10:01 AM
I agree, there was too much reflection on mountains, and I had to modify shallow water elevation because it was too deep. Hopingly it will be better in the upcoming final version of the map! :)

Morgan
03-29-2012, 10:11 AM
And here it is, my final version of the map. I know it has some things that could still be improved, but since this entire project was just an exercise to get in touch with cartography in the first place, I don't think I will be editing it again. I will be posting this map in the finished maps section and then I'll begin experimenting something else! :)
I hope you like it. Though I don't consider it a masterpiece, I'm still satisfied with the final result. Enjoy! :)

Veldehar
03-29-2012, 11:33 AM
It is both functional and attractive, nothing more needed! LOL. Excellent work.

Morgan
03-29-2012, 12:24 PM
Thanks! I really appreciate your words! :)

cereth
03-29-2012, 03:00 PM
Very nice sir! Very successful all around!

Freodin
03-29-2012, 03:14 PM
Very nice map. Your pseudo-german names are a little off, though.

Morgan
03-29-2012, 07:01 PM
Thank you! It's soo good to see hours of work being appreciated! :)
As for the names, I did not invent them, responsibility goes to Silicon Knights or Crystal Dinamics :D