PDA

View Full Version : [WIP] Crescent World

urxed
03-30-2012, 05:12 AM
This is general thread for my work - I'm building smaller maps from a huge piece of world land mass, and this is my first part.
Not only my first part of this world, but also my first map ever made in Photoshop.

It's supposed to be used when I GM my future campaign. I'm not looking for realism or anything, I would like it to look old and worn.
My world is harsh place, almost wastelandish with few woods and trees. (Maybe I'll try to create some deep and dark jungles when I come to the southern parts of my world).

So far, this is what I've made:

/Kind regards URXED

- - -

Previous steps in the progress:

Here's elements and other stuff that I've made and that I use, I like sharing so just grab whatever you want or need:

- Rhumb / Nautical lines: http://www.mediafire.com/?g313ph83ab642pq
This is a RAR file, uncompressed it's about 16 meg, it's made from a 10k x 10k pixel image with 1 pixel sized lines.

- The mountains that I've made and use in this map: http://www.mediafire.com/i/?9pdhk5cy1lia7ya
These are hand drawn with a 0,3 mm document liner, I work cheap. Use them as you wish, get inspired or get to some brushmaking.

Gidde
03-30-2012, 09:40 AM
Below the editing window of the post, there's an Additional Options section. Click the Manage Attachments button, upload your file, and voila :)

As far as the map goes, your landforms look pretty good, but your rivers are splitting like crazy. Give How to Get Your Rivers in the Right Place (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?3822-How-to-get-your-rivers-in-the-right-place) a read, it's a really handy reference.

urxed
03-30-2012, 01:23 PM
Thank you for both of the tips.

I'll look into the river thing as soon as I've got time. It's really bugging me. As I'm new to doing this kind of work in PS I have no good way of managing the rivers, I just used the eraser for some quick work. Any advice when it comes to this?

Oh, maybe I should also point out that at the moment I'm working with 4961 x 3508 pixels in 300 dpi.

Gidde
03-30-2012, 02:23 PM
I'm not a PS pro so I'm not sure how to taper them, but I think it might be easier if you draw the rivers on a separate layer, rather than erasing them out of your main land shape layer. It's also non-destructive to do them that way, so you have more room to change them later without messing up your whole map. Ascension, Pasis and Tear have some great beginning tutorials in Photoshop (and there are a ton more that are awesome); check those out for some step-by-step action.

Joshua
03-30-2012, 03:41 PM
I second the use of layers. They are so handy, and you're able to use different effects for each layer. So if you want your rivers to have a softer bank, in addition to any brush selection, you can add a narrow river-colored glow to the layer and have it only apply to your rivers (so long as they're the only thing on that layer). Just as an example. :)

Hyrrow
03-30-2012, 07:17 PM
I like how on the top right your water falls on the mountains, forms rivers, goes from lake to lake to flow down a river to the ocean. I don't know how realistic this is, but it looks great!

urxed
03-31-2012, 05:00 AM
I like how on the top right your water falls on the mountains, forms rivers, goes from lake to lake to flow down a river to the ocean. I don't know how realistic this is, but it looks great!

I could be "realistic" considering humans in the area may have built a huge canal. If it's natural is another question though.

urxed
03-31-2012, 10:32 AM
I have been playing around with some simple methods of making my map look old, worn and giving it the kind of style I wish for it to have in the end.
I like the effects, and now I know in what direction I'll be heading.
Also note that the rivers are gone and I'll remake them when I've read some of the posted tuts and when I've learned more.
Still got to learn how to make nice looking nautical lines.

A simple test:

And here's an explanation of the world name, and also the location of the main map on the world:

Gidde
03-31-2012, 11:14 AM
The style looks good so far! For those rhumb (nautical) lines there was a really good discussion about that a couple years back; this thread (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?11100-rhumb-line-placement&highlight=rhumb+lines) has the discussion and a lot of examples, links, and uploaded files of the lines themselves.

urxed
03-31-2012, 01:05 PM
Gidde: Thanks alot!

I'm looking alot at old maps of scandinavia http://www.why.is/myndir/olaus_skandinavia_stor.jpg this one is so great!

And I've made a list of some "to do's":
- Draw and scan seamonsters
- Make country borders in a simplistic manner
- Roads
- Rivers
- Names and draw some coat of arms for each main city
- Make some nice borders for the map as such
- Find some really nice background paper

This is really growing on me, I'm having so much fun thinking about it, doing it and figuring out how do to stuff. I really appreciate your help! Thanks alot.

Joshua
03-31-2012, 01:17 PM
What a cool concept for the world! And I like the new style of the map. :) The lines where the surf meets the turf are a nice touch.

urxed
03-31-2012, 04:03 PM
What a cool concept for the world! And I like the new style of the map. :) The lines where the surf meets the turf are a nice touch.

Thanks! I'm building it for RP purposes, and I need a big-ass continent or world for continued future play. I figured if I make a enormous piece of land mass that is somehow connected both by land and water (land in the northern parts and by sea in the southern parts) the world can still be so large most of it is unexplored and wild, even though major civilizations do exist.

I am mostly using tutorials making this first map, ofcourse... but later on more areas will be covered and perhaps there will be different kind of maps (depending on civilization, what kind of people living there and so on). This is fun, and I'm looking forward to making these maps.

I'm considering making a map of the whole world, and yet again I like the thought of old style maps and how people in history have pictured the world very different from what we today know to be the world. http://libweb5.princeton.edu/visual_materials/maps/websites/pacific/spice-islands/map-moluccas-bachian-schley-1750.jpg this map will probably be a major inspiration in the creation of a "crescent world"-map.
Not very detailed but rather what scientists and learned people of the eastern parts of the crescent believes to be the world.

urxed
04-01-2012, 08:18 AM
Now I've been experimenting a little bit with the rhumb lines and so far this is the result:

As you can see I'm also experimenting with country borders, the mountains aren't gone, they're just hidden beneath everything else.

I will have to make the rhumb-parts alot more expanded since I am now experiencing lines that end in the middle of the map. Cumbersome for my computer, but it'll work.

urxed
04-01-2012, 09:47 AM
Ok. An updated version of the above test can be seen in the very first post.
I'm not entirely satisfied with the result, but there's more to come and this test was just made real fast.

Gidde
04-02-2012, 12:22 AM
The rhumb lines look great and the borders are coming along nicely :) When you post up a new version though, don't replace the old one! Looking at the progress as your map comes along is what helps us all learn from WIP threads.

urxed
04-02-2012, 01:52 AM
How about that? ;)

As this is as much learning as it is creating I've dropped the colored borders, but I'll certainly be using that for some other project - I like the water color look.

urxed
04-06-2012, 01:46 PM
Back for a short recap. I've made some changes to the overall design. I needed continents and bigger areas.

So this is where I'm at:

- The world as I see it, the land mass:

- The world as some of the inhabitants see it, a not yet finished world atlas map:

- A simple climate layout map (still not wanting/needing perfect realism):

Joshua
04-06-2012, 01:55 PM
I like the changes. The original concept (which I LOVE) is maintained, but the slight separation of land masses cleans up the map a bit, which I find more aesthetically pleasing.

urxed
04-06-2012, 02:03 PM
Glad you like it! It's kind of easier to work with. Making countries and kingdoms on the thin strip, that was the world before the change, became rather boring and limiting.

And I have to add yet again, that this is nowhere near finished. Just got a job, so I've been away from the computer most of the week and I couldn't work on it until yesterday evening. I'm going to make some new brushes and I'll sit down and create my countries with cities and so on so that I can finish the world atlas. And then choose an area and get more "up close" and get even more detailed.

Gidde
04-07-2012, 02:29 AM
Oh yeah, looks much more natural broken up like that. I like :)

Ourea
04-08-2012, 12:49 PM
I just wanted to pop in and say I'm really enjoying watching this unfold :) It's a lovely concept and it's looking great.

urxed
04-08-2012, 03:26 PM
I just wanted to pop in and say I'm really enjoying watching this unfold :) It's a lovely concept and it's looking great.

Thanks alot! It's awesome to have others like what you do.

Next up is creating countries and kingdoms, cities and so on. I think I'll be marking them on a map that is just for me, based on the "real" land mass - as a take-off point for further mapping in the area. I've been looking a lot at old atlas maps and Mercator-maps, and I really like the idea of making maps that project the world as the inhabitants see it, which means they'll not be perfectly accurate.

And now I realize that I write too much here and work too little on my concept haha. I blame work and easter.

urxed
04-10-2012, 06:23 AM
I just have to say that this thread and project will have to wait, I just got a new job and I really need to concentrate on that. I will get back to this though! And I'll probably be working on it whenever I feel I have the time.

Keep on rockin' your mapping-skills!

Joshua
04-10-2012, 11:50 AM
I understand that dilemma perfectly!