PDA

View Full Version : Keeper of Records

Torq
04-13-2008, 03:14 AM
Hi all

It has always been the idea of the project that one day we will have a world that is consistent in terms of cultures and geography and this means someone (or many) will have to do a lot of creative writing in the future. What has happened is that many of the mapper sof the individual regions have done some of their own creative planning.

What we need is someone, who fancies themself as a bit of an editor, to put together everything that has been written about the regions so far in a continually changing and updating document. This should be available on these boards for all members to view and have reference to. This will 1. retain consistency with design ideas, 2. Allow mappers who want to map local areas within the regions to have a point of reference, 3. Provide a framework for the eventual creative writing proper 4. It could also keep track of who is mapping what so that there are no duplications.

Anybody want the job? (The hours are horrific and pay is well non-existent)

Torq

industrygothica
04-13-2008, 08:33 AM
I've been looking for a way to get into the project, but since I'm not much of a mapper I've just been lurking. I suppose this is my opportunity to be able to finally contribute something. Lord knows I've got the time for it (though my wife may have a different opinion on that).

I don't know exactly how I'd lay everything out, but I'm sure that with a little fiddling I can figure something out to make everyone happy.

In any case, I'm more than happy to research all the threads here and see if I can't compile something that makes a bit of sense, if you'll have me. If not, or there's someone more qualified (which would be pretty much anyone, honestly), then I'll be content to continue lurking and watch this incredible stroke of brilliance take on life.

-IG

Baziron
04-13-2008, 08:35 AM
Pfff... this is tough. I have done something basically comparable for my planned campaign, but the focus was on plot.

If absolutely nobody steps up within three days from the point I posted this, I'll do it.

alucard339
04-13-2008, 10:01 AM
For my own part, I'll be happy to get more involved into the project once I finish my web site (more to the point the translation portion of my web site).
Until then I'll be a low active member and dark one will be the one to take the great decision for the region 1-3.

Thanks and
Sea-U-hall soon,
Alu.

Torq
04-13-2008, 10:54 AM
I reckon Industrygothica and Baziron get the job. You can liase with each other as to how to spread the load. Alu can also help when he gets time. I recommend speaking to Arcana becasue he has offered to set up a wiki for the project.

Thanks to you all and welcome on board Industrygothica.

Torq

industrygothica
04-13-2008, 06:37 PM
I reckon Industrygothica and Baziron get the job. You can liase with each other as to how to spread the load. Alu can also help when he gets time. I recommend speaking to Arcana becasue he has offered to set up a wiki for the project.

Thanks to you all and welcome on board Industrygothica.

Torq

Been thinking a bit about layout, and I think I might have something worked out in my head. I'll tweak it and get it formatted first, and then post it.

My biggest decision was trying to decide to break down all 25 areas in one single post, or to make 25 separate posts in the thread. I'm thinking the latter, for linking purposes if nothing else. Maybe someone else has a different idea.

Do you happen to have the latest landgrab that shows what area everyone's got?

Robbie
04-13-2008, 08:19 PM
Don't put too much effort into a series of posts...Wiki will be up as soon as I get a name for it.

industrygothica
04-13-2008, 09:19 PM
Don't put too much effort into a series of posts...Wiki will be up as soon as I get a name for it.

Would you believe that I've never used a wiki before? At least as far as editing anything goes, I've used them a ton for reference. Can't be too hard, I'm sure (hope).

Thanks.

-IG

Robbie
04-13-2008, 09:21 PM
oh its fantastically easy

industrygothica
04-13-2008, 09:57 PM
oh its fantastically easy

Well that's good news then.

industrygothica
04-14-2008, 12:32 AM
This is about what I had in mind, updating as necessary of course. I'm more than appreciative of any suggestions.

I've used Redrobes's Thrubmorton Fens as an example:
http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1805

A large wetland makes up the majority of this area. The few ridges spanning the area make for natural trade routes, offering some protection from the more dangerous low lands.

Stockades and other fortified points have been placed along the trade routes to provide protection to those willing to pay for it. Most do, considering the dangers one faces when camping in the open.

The fortifications themselves are quite basic but well financed. Most maintain a stock of supplies available for purchase,

Agriculture
The region produces enough livestock and root vegetables to support the forts and the few outlying towns. Less simple foods like grains and fruits are imported, thus increasing the prices of items such as beer and wine.

Ecology
The low lands are full of swamps and marshes, and creatures associated with such an environment. Lizardfolk are common throughout the area and frequently attack passing merchants.

The higher lands are home to a wide variety of racial mixes, mostly due to the heavy traffic in and out of the area.

Adventure Opportunities
Mercenaries hired to ward off local predators
Ruins, caves, and disused mines long forgotten and buried in the wetlands
Battles between varieties of monstrous races affecting the civilized population

Torq
04-14-2008, 01:34 AM
I thinl that looks great. That sort of reference document would be absolutely perfect. It will also be a necessity when it comes to trying to flesh out the relationships between the various regions. Thanks.

Torq

industrygothica
04-14-2008, 01:47 AM
I thinl that looks great. That sort of reference document would be absolutely perfect. It will also be a necessity when it comes to trying to flesh out the relationships between the various regions. Thanks.

Torq

Glad you approve. I did plan on adding other sections as needed, such as Notable Places, Important People, and something, as you said, describing the relationships with other nearby regions.

The Cartographist
04-14-2008, 07:25 AM
industrygothica - I'd be willing to help with the writing/editing aspect as well. Since it seems that you've been given the nod, I'll assist you in any way that you desire. (I would probably have volunteered had I been around the past few days--was on vacation away from the internet.)

industrygothica
04-14-2008, 07:33 AM
industrygothica - I'd be willing to help with the writing/editing aspect as well. Since it seems that you've been given the nod, I'll assist you in any way that you desire. (I would probably have volunteered had I been around the past few days--was on vacation away from the internet.)

Thanks. You've probably got more experience with this type of stuff than I do (none, basically), so any ideas you've got would be immensely helpful. Honestly, I'd like to get the other areas detailed out as above, but I think we may be at a bit of a standstill until the wiki is up, and that won't be until the World is named.

I suppose we could get them written up anyway, though the format, assuming we stick to something resembling a standard format, may change.

Robbie
04-14-2008, 07:59 AM
Check out the wiki I set up for my campaign world inprogress a while back...Its actually based on the campaign setting books from D&D 3rd Edition...

http://www.arsala.info

Yes I used the compass rose from here as a logo. But it should help to give you an idea on scope as well as possible formatting/organization for a whole setting...Although mine focuses on a specific area as opposed to the whole world...it woudl still work out...

Also check out Pyrandon's Wiki...I think its in his signature block. He does a great job with his setting through wiki.

Redrobes
04-14-2008, 08:11 AM
A wiki is a very flexible and great way to detail at least the text bits of a campaign setting. I presume that we will all pile into this wiki and edit it too ? The way I see it running in general is that somebody maps a bit - like each of the tile owners and then writes up about the areas on that map. Then anyone can take one one of those bits, like a fort for example, create a map for it and then write a wiki page or three about that map. Then somebody else takes a house or whatever and does the same again. The person creating the map usually has a pretty good idea about whats down there at the time he makes it.

industrygothica
04-14-2008, 08:41 AM
A wiki is a very flexible and great way to detail at least the text bits of a campaign setting. I presume that we will all pile into this wiki and edit it too ? The way I see it running in general is that somebody maps a bit - like each of the tile owners and then writes up about the areas on that map. Then anyone can take one one of those bits, like a fort for example, create a map for it and then write a wiki page or three about that map. Then somebody else takes a house or whatever and does the same again. The person creating the map usually has a pretty good idea about whats down there at the time he makes it.

That's about the way I see it as well. Of course that makes my job pretty much obsolete before it gets started, but hey... ;) I'd still like to help wherever I can though.

Robbie
04-14-2008, 09:56 AM
No that makes your job even MORE important. you become a style/continuity policeman as well as a fill-in editor...Not everyone will want to do a write-up...some people will just want to map. Thats where you come in...

Also it will be your job to make sure everyone stays along a line of continuity so the world feels like a world, not a collection of modules all from different worlds.

Torq
04-14-2008, 10:33 AM
Couldn't have said it better Arcana. IG, the job of continuity becomes more difficult with everyone doing there own thing. At the end of the day the mapper just maps and gives you their idea of the backstory. You have the discretion to use that or not if it doesn't fit with the context.

Torq

RippedWorld
09-14-2013, 09:30 AM
Sounds like something I could actually enjoy doing, I'll take a look at how much time I have and think about helping out?