PDA

View Full Version : Quilted map of 7th Sea

thistledown
04-06-2012, 07:56 PM
So, finally uploading my quilted map of 7th Sea's continents of Theah & Cathay. My talents don't lie with drawing or digital imaging, except with autoCAD, so fabric is my medium of choice for this. This was based on a composite I created from every 7th Sea map I could find. The friend I made it for decided to only have the nation names and the capitals called out.

Each province is made from its own fabric. In general I tried to pick fabrics that reflected the character of the province, but some ended up as rather generic. Main construction and piecing took about 2 weeks, but I knew nothing about quiting so it was another 8 months before I got enough help to finally finish it up. This piece was something of a prototype, where I learned a lot about piecing, quilting, and how different fabrics react to each other. Such as which fabrics are absolutely horrible to put together, no-matter how pretty they look.

When I can, I will try and get a better picture of it, but the thing's big (I've used it as a blanket on a twin-sized bed). Overall view is here, details and notes for each country are in the album.

ElGrandioso
04-06-2012, 10:15 PM
Wow, this is something else!
Seems more like a piece of tapestry some noble would put beside his
fireplace than a map, though. Too little details like harbors to be of much use
at the gaming table.
But it sure makes an impressive backdrop, where it could be a great boon for atmosphere.

Larb
04-06-2012, 11:27 PM
You may not be adept with digital media but you certainly know what to do when it comes to fabric! Pretty sure you got most of us beat because I couldn't do that. We all have our media of choice.

I played in a 7th sea campaign once so this is a joy to see. I look forward to seeing more pictures!

SunnyDayle
05-01-2012, 01:28 PM
This has to be one of the coolest things I've ever seen! You have inspired me to do this for my own maps someday (when time permits)! I used to do a lot of quilting, but lost motivation (as well as being nowhere close to my crafting space) has put a halt on that hobby. This is going in my idea book. Well done!

I love that each place has it's own feel by using the different fabrics. I also likes that the quilting itself lends texture specific to the different types of terrain. I do agree that some fabrics are much harder to use for quilts than others--but I love doing it anyway. I've found that a lightweight fusible interfacing on the back can help a LOT.

I can't wait to see more projects like this!

Riggamorphus
05-01-2012, 01:39 PM
This is amazing. A great way to do a map. Do you take commissions? You should try a middle earth map.

Rigg

afters
05-02-2012, 06:41 AM
This is officially the most original thing I've ever seen at CG and is deserving of oodles of reputation :D

Robulous
05-03-2012, 08:52 AM
That's delightful, and an inventive way of creating a map! Well done!