PDA

View Full Version : Article Request for the Next Issue of Fantaseum

ravells
04-16-2008, 11:00 AM
That time of the year is coming around again where we are looking for material for the next quarter's edition of 'Fantaseum'.

Would anyone be interested in writing a short article on the software that we use for mapping for the next issue of the zine? In terms of material, if you click the link in my sig (What software do you use?), there should be enough material to get you started.

Any takers?

Mapping related articles of all kinds are welcome, examples include:

- Tutorials explaining how you drew a map.
- Discussions and How-Tos on worldbuilding or city building.
- An Interview with one of our industry pros.

All donations gratefully received!

NeonKnight
04-16-2008, 11:06 AM
I'll see what I can whip up about CC3.

ravells
04-16-2008, 11:09 AM
Excellent, thanks!

ravells
04-18-2008, 01:29 PM
Hey, would someone be willing to interview Anna about her Greyhawk project? (If she's willing) - that would make for a great interview.

Anna
04-26-2008, 08:10 AM
I would be honored to :)

ravells
04-26-2008, 08:45 AM
Well if nobody volunteers to interview you, then I will.

Ishmayl
04-26-2008, 01:35 PM
It's a good idea - the old CBG interviewer, Turin, would have been perfect, but he hasn't been around in awhile now, and I don't see him as coming back anytime soon.

I have an article coming in for you in the next couple days, Rav

ravells
04-26-2008, 01:53 PM
Cool. Anna's been in touch and I'll interview her.

delgondahntelius
05-01-2008, 09:52 AM
oh... I was goign to volunteer but ... I'm way to late eh? ...

I was thinking of writing a tutorial/informative guide on pen and ink drawing for the tutorials section of the forum .. if there was an interest for it... specifically on pens, choices of, caring of, using and abusing; inks and uses, choices etc; Paper size, texture, types. Then some basics on sketching, inking, shading, thatching, practice tips... and then a bit on lettering and caligraphy (basics... this of course is another topic entirely).... with my own personal experiences meshed in .... but from what I saw in the zine last issue... it may be too lengthy for such...

I could do a small article on what I've found on code and puzzle building a little informative piece on how to develop your own types of code and puzzles into maps and into rpg in general... also useful for writing if one were so inclined to add flavor to a story they were writing.

and I have a suggestion for a piece you could add... a bit on nautical terms and their meanings, as well as a list of types of ships, weapons, titles, and terms that would come in handy for any mapper, writer and gamer to use for a sea based type campaign... a little helper to add flavor and definition to whatever purpose the creator had in mind...

sorry, you all probably have a place where you discuss things like this far away from the rabble... but those were just some of my thoughts :)

ravells
05-01-2008, 11:45 AM
Thanks delgon!

I'm afraid you are too late for the interview but an article on materials would be fantastic if you have a mind to do one.

I also think your idea of useful lists is a brilliant one, I might make a 'starter for ten' with this post it up and people can just add to it, we can then clean it up for the article. Superb idea and thanks!

Midgardsormr
05-01-2008, 12:04 PM
I was thinking of writing a tutorial/informative guide on pen and ink drawing for the tutorials section of the forum .. if there was an interest for it... specifically on pens, choices of, caring of, using and abusing; inks and uses, choices etc; Paper size, texture, types. Then some basics on sketching, inking, shading, thatching, practice tips... and then a bit on lettering and caligraphy

YES! ahem. That is to say, I would be interested in a tutorial of that sort, whether or not it goes into the 'zine. It's easy to find tutorials on technique but very difficult to find information about materials.

Ishmayl
05-01-2008, 12:13 PM
That sounds like an awesome article!

delgondahntelius
05-01-2008, 01:27 PM
well thank you all :) what format does it need to be in? where and who do I need to send it and what timeline are we looking at?

ravells
05-01-2008, 03:21 PM
A word document is fine - pop it along to me at ravifelicity at yahoo.co.uk

cheers!

delgondahntelius
05-01-2008, 03:29 PM
and the timeline we are looking at? deadline?

ravells
05-01-2008, 05:45 PM
Oh sorry, anytime in May should be fine, but the earlier the better.

RobA
05-01-2008, 08:59 PM
And if it doesn't make it in the next issue, I am sure there will be another...

-Rob A>

delgondahntelius
05-02-2008, 04:16 AM
right o... I'll be working on that and should have it out to you within this next week... :)

Rob, I actually planned to put out a PDF "tutorial" for it as well on the forum, maybe a post version as well for users who don't (gasp) download the ezine or who use search functions... that and the one I was going to post up will probably be longer and more 'in-depth' because after all... the one for the ezine is an article in a much larger selection of work... :) can't hog all the lime light :D

GM's Apprentice
05-19-2008, 05:15 PM
How do you format the ezine, and are there any limits to what you want to include vs not? Is there a theme for this issue (or next, since there is only 12 days to get something to you).

Maps, obviously.
Paper minis, tokens, or other artwork?
NPCs, or is that too game system specific?
Settings?

ravells
05-19-2008, 06:12 PM
At this point in time, anything you like. I made the last ezine for print, because I thought that people (ie. generally old fashioned people like me) would want to print it out to read, so it was very text heavy and expository. The next version will (at least from the CG end of things) be much more a 'how to' type of affair, apart from a couple of features, like Anna's Flaness project. As it turns out, most people just read it on line, so I'll have links to the original threads from which the material comes. One of the running features I'm hoping to run are mapping elements that people might want to use, so please feel free to do an article or at least point me to some.

Also, there'll be a classified section (either as a section on its own or ads dotted around in the ezine - I haven't decided yet), so if you want to advertise your site on there, that too would be wonderful (see the industry pro forum for more details).

It's not going to come out at the start of June, probably more towards the middle or end, (mostly through my having done not much so far) so you have lots of time left!

Cheers

Ravs