PDA

View Full Version : Baerun North Kingdom

pasis
04-14-2012, 02:23 PM
I have been sketching my new regional map slowly for few weeks and I have finally got into adding color to it. The attached maps are low resolution versions as the original map exceeds the size limitation (the actual map I work on PS is 12000 x 8000 px and 1,5 GB in size).

This is a northern kingdom suffering from various clans battling for power and it will be used in our next RPG we’ll start in a month or so.

WIP-1 is the first draft I made to design the coastline, rivers and mountains
WIP-2 is after I had finished creating the heightmaps. This was the phase that took over 2 weeks even though I worked on it almost every day.
WIP-3 shows the first version of the base ground textures I have created. The textures was paint with large 300px round brush as the idea was just to get the color scheme right. I’m not sure if I’m going to redo the coloring again from scratch or just correct the mistakes made and add details. Anyway you get an understanding where the land is dry and where it is more fertile.

Veldehar
04-14-2012, 04:10 PM
Off to a nice start, I like the curling tail of land.

Heinrich Zweihänder
04-14-2012, 04:15 PM
Yeah the spiral is strange but so fantasy. :blush: Great work on the height map, too.

TheMadKing
04-14-2012, 06:05 PM
Absolutely fantastic, I must say. True talent.

arsheesh
04-14-2012, 07:40 PM
Interesting land-formation. The mountains look really good. Looking forward to watching this progress.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

elemental_elf
04-14-2012, 07:42 PM
I really like the whirlpool/spiral islands, what a cool idea!

Lukc
04-15-2012, 03:24 AM
Somebody was going to say it, "Pasis strikes again." :)

Bisol von Sint-Omer
04-15-2012, 04:17 AM
Just great indeed... Just like Heinrich, I find the mountains, well, perfect considering what I aim to achieve, while the spiral look stranges but fantasy. Somehow reminds me of Middle-Earth.
And I have to ask this : how the hell do you manage to get such a good rendering, especially with the mountains ?

Shaelic
04-15-2012, 09:36 AM
Wow! That's VERY nice! Great work :)

Mustak
04-15-2012, 11:39 AM
For me it is a good guide to learn how to draft and complete a map.

The mountains look great. Nice colors.

pasis
04-15-2012, 02:41 PM
Thank you all for the kind words and here is the latest version. I have corrected most of the mistakes made with previous work phases and added some more coloring depth.
The original idea behind the spiral formation was to emphase that this represents a fantacy world and doesn't try to be a perfect replication of our world. There are also an island that has a shape of a human skull and I plan on adding several land formations that represents something else.

The heightmap was done using Geocontrol. I rendered over 30 maps with it and combined the best parts into this piece. If anyone is interested on heightmap basics, you find my short tutorial by following this link: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?16688

pasis
04-16-2012, 02:50 PM
Here is an example with full resolution. I'm happy with the colors and the diversity of ground textures. As a small side comment, you can see the markings on the ground left from the last ice age :) I was not able to produce them good enough in the higher mountains, but in these low erodent mountains, those came out quite ok.

Veldehar
04-16-2012, 02:55 PM
Ice Age scratches... now you're just showing off! LOL. Wonderful stuff, not that I'd expect less from you considering the body of work I've seen.

Lalaithion
04-19-2012, 12:10 AM
I need to learn how to do that, mind blown, sir. mind blown.

pasis
04-20-2012, 07:47 AM
Here is another update. Added rivers and some lakes and starting to plant some forest.

Lukc
04-20-2012, 07:55 AM
Show-off :P meant in the absolutely best sense of the world. It's stunning. Really gorgeous. I'm half-way tempted to just steal it for my next D&D campaign and do the labels myself :D

cereth
04-20-2012, 08:39 AM
Yeafh, that's looking very stunning. Love the rivers and lakes.

bartmoss
04-20-2012, 09:52 AM
Whoa. Very nice. Have rep!

Bisol von Sint-Omer
04-20-2012, 12:53 PM
I will give a close look to that tutorial. I just get the impression that the "lines" are all directed like this / , I don't know if you get what I mean ?

pasis
04-20-2012, 02:04 PM
Show-off :P meant in the absolutely best sense of the world. It's stunning. Really gorgeous. I'm half-way tempted to just steal it for my next D&D campaign and do the labels myself :D

You are most welcome to use this in your games. I sure have snatched some of your work to my inspiration folder :)

Seraphine_Harmonium
04-20-2012, 04:04 PM
Oh WOW! This is amazing, and so beyond my abilities. I think I am with everyone else that the curling islands are my favorite part. Not something you'd see in real life, but great for fantasy.

The mountains are fantastic, and I'd also like to throw out that the transition into the snow/tundra lands is very well done. Gradual, and natural feeling. Love it.

Gidde
04-21-2012, 10:59 AM
This is looking really good! I really like those badlands.

pasis
05-06-2012, 05:16 AM
It has been a while since I have been able to work on this as my PC went "kaput" breaking the HD along the way. Luckily I had my backups taken, so I didn't loose too much. Now I have a new PC and back in business.
I'm currently adding forest and attached is a closeup from a forested area by the montain range. I'm not good on creating customer brushes to draw the forest, but this is the way things look at the moment.

-Pasi

Gidde
05-06-2012, 11:33 AM
It must be the month for losing harddrives; I lost mine too. Glad to see you're up and running again :) That forest looks great!

arsheesh
05-06-2012, 05:50 PM
Yes, the forests look very nice indeed! Lovely as per usual Pasis.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Harrg
05-11-2012, 09:50 AM
cool map, I like especially mountains and forests:)