PDA

View Full Version : Maps for a novel

Sapiento
04-17-2012, 01:04 AM
Two commissioned maps for a novel. A mixture of Hornblower and fantasy.

Done in Illustrator.

Lukc
04-17-2012, 02:49 AM
Good maps there, Sapiento! Well done!

I can understand the demands of working in all b/w, but I do have to admit I find the rhumb lines a bit hard on the eyes. Personally I would prefer to see just the coastal offsets. Perhaps a larger white outline around the texts in the sea would help.

Sapiento
04-17-2012, 06:18 AM
Good maps there, Sapiento! Well done!

I can understand the demands of working in all b/w, but I do have to admit I find the rhumb lines a bit hard on the eyes. Personally I would prefer to see just the coastal offsets. Perhaps a larger white outline around the texts in the sea would help.

Thank you, Lukc!

I actually made a second version for the regional map - now added in the first post.

TarionzCousin
04-17-2012, 11:46 PM
Very nice. The place names definitely evoke England. When is the novel due out?

Sapiento
04-18-2012, 02:47 AM
Thanks!
I don't know when it gets published.

Lukc
04-18-2012, 05:06 PM
I think the new version looks much cleaner and clearer!

OK, this is going to be total pedantry, but ... when I read it quickly I read "Lord Morgans Island0". I know those island names can be a bit hard to place, but the shape of the island just bleeds into the name in this case. Also, I would try making Mudmoon bay a flat label (not angled) to stand out against "The Coal Coast" a bit more ... or at least not intersect the land border. I think you have enough room to keep the entire label in the sea there.

Sapiento
04-19-2012, 02:06 AM
I think the new version looks much cleaner and clearer!

OK, this is going to be total pedantry, but ... when I read it quickly I read "Lord Morgans Island0". I know those island names can be a bit hard to place, but the shape of the island just bleeds into the name in this case. Also, I would try making Mudmoon bay a flat label (not angled) to stand out against "The Coal Coast" a bit more ... or at least not intersect the land border. I think you have enough room to keep the entire label in the sea there.

Thank you, Lukc!
I get your point. Placing the labels is usually not an easy task. As long as the client is happy, I'm happy, too.