PDA

View Full Version : Regional map in Photoshop (Critiques wanted)

Avalanche
04-20-2012, 06:13 AM
Hi there, guys!

I'm new here and this is my first map project in Photoshop. It's an overland map of a newly settled region for a game project I am working on with some other guys. I did it in Photoshop, all the textures are from Genetica. Almost everything else is general Photoshop styles, a little dodge and a little burn.

I'd love to get some feedback on it.

EDIT: Okay, I put all the WIP in one post.

The first one is the original one.
The second one has the towns added as well, and the labels. Also, the lake outflow is fixed.
Third one has more shading and minor terrain tweaks.
Fourth one is an atmosphere test.
Fifth one is with added cliffs, sharpened shore, and tweaked saturation.

grangarian
04-20-2012, 06:46 AM
It's very good actually, i really like the mountain texture and the trees on the coast. However i'm not sure about the marsh thing on the north, it's confusing at first sight, but that's just my opinion. And maybe you should try to put the fields wrap around the town. Overall i like it.
And another thing is the labeling, i don't think it fits with the overall style.

Lalaithion
04-20-2012, 03:04 PM
No lake ever has two outflows. (Unless artificial or temporary. like a few days temporary.) Also, its sort of unrealistic for a lake that large to have no inflows either.

Avalanche
04-20-2012, 05:13 PM
Thanks for the replies. Here's the pretty much final version of the map. Again, the textures are the only thing not done by me (no special brushes were used as well).

eViLe_eAgLe
04-20-2012, 05:55 PM
Awesome rivers my man. And I actually do like your bog.

Avalanche
04-20-2012, 06:19 PM
Thank you!

I also wouldn't mind if somebody, especially Scottish, could tell me if the naming is OK.

Joshua
04-20-2012, 06:45 PM
I really love this. The bog is awesome, and I'm envious. ;) But I also dig the ruins. I saw them before the name, and I was like, "Oh, wow, looks like cool ruins of a castle built into the side of a mountain!" Then I saw the name. So, at least for me, it's a very clearly done and easy to assess map.

arsheesh
04-20-2012, 07:16 PM
Welcome to the Guild Avalanche! Great job so far on your first map.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Avalanche
04-21-2012, 11:52 AM
Thank you, again!

Here's another quick small update. I added more shading to the rivers, farmlands and minor terrain tweaks. I guess that this'd be pretty much the final version of the map - maybe I'll fix the roofs of those towers on the Glaisebay town walls.

apothecaryrose
04-21-2012, 12:17 PM
I can't offer much advice since I'm new to this myself but I wanted to say that I love your map! The textures are really awesome. Great job!

Avalanche
04-22-2012, 03:03 PM
Thank you, again!

Here is one with clouds. As for the clouds, I don't like them very much (had to do a hell lot of tweaks as the texture I created isn't seamless) and I think it'd be both better and easier to do them by hand.

Anyway, do you like it, and do you have anything in mind that I should change?

Diamond
04-22-2012, 03:15 PM
Overall, your map is awesome. Really, the only thing bugging me are the coastlines. While the color and texture look good, the edge where it meets the water doesn't seem as well-defined as it needs to be in comparison with the really sharp details of the towns. If you sharpened that coastal edge up just a teensy tiny bit I'd give you ten out of ten gold stars. Your mileage may vary, of course.

Avalanche
04-22-2012, 03:19 PM
I think I'll try to change the south-eastern shore with a cliff, and sharpen (and make smaller!) those sandy beaches as well. Thank you for the suggestion! :)

Avalanche
04-22-2012, 06:18 PM
Sharpened the shore, made the cliffs, and made more vibrant as well. Tell me what you think. :)