PDA

View Full Version : Hero's End

mozltovcoktail
04-22-2012, 09:23 PM
Welp, here's my third map evar. This one was done with the Saderan Tutorial (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?8086-Award-Winner-Saderan-%96-a-tutorial&p=90518#post90518) in Photoshop CS5. The tut was super-clear and awesome. My final result doesn't match the style from the tut exactly, but I'm still pleased with it.

Things I'm not 100% happy with:

* The rivers don't pop as much as they should. Not sure why.
* The forest areas don't have clear boundaries from the grasslands. I had a little trouble with that step, but was pretty happy with the shrubby look I got out of it anyways.

I'm open to any and all feedback, so please give it if you have it! I may or may not make changes to this map since I'm eager to keep running through tutorials, but I'd really like to hear what could be improved.

Thanks!

arsheesh
04-22-2012, 11:08 PM
Hi there MC. Well it looks pretty good to me. Unfortunately, I don't own Photoshop and so have never had the opportunity to try out this tutorial. So I don't know how to advise you on your questions. What you are doing is good though: that is, it's a good idea to try out several different tutorials/mapping styles so that (a) you gain knowledge of several different methods of mapmaking, and (b) this gives you the opportunity to develop your own unique style as well.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Sapiento
04-23-2012, 05:45 AM
Looks good for a first try in this style.
You can use a darker blue for the rivers, that should increase the visibility.
For the forest the use of different brushes can give you other results for their edges. A dropshadow can sometimes help, too.
Some empty space for a map in general (no cities etc), but as you said, you are still working on your skills. Keep it up!

Clercon
04-23-2012, 08:24 AM
This is very good for a first try, my first Saderan tutorial map looked worse (and don't bother trying to find it here on the guild, I never posted it :) ) Keep up the good work.

mozltovcoktail
04-23-2012, 03:50 PM
Thanks dudes! Much appreciated.