PDA

View Full Version : The Lands of Orum: The Red Epic

TheRedEpic
04-25-2012, 10:42 AM
Hey guys, just got done this little map for a client and had alot of fun with it. Been doin' alot of B/W gray scale maps lately for indie authors, and most have been pretty interesting:)

The Lands of Orum:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y182/Stormcrow135/MapofOrum100dpi.jpg

Thanks, and comments always welcome!
~Jared

DevinNight
04-25-2012, 11:39 AM
That is a great looking map. The details and flourishes are all great. Nice job.

cereth
04-25-2012, 11:50 AM
Love the subtle "tentacles" coming from dark fortress...really nice touch. Top notch all around as usual!

Gidde
04-25-2012, 12:05 PM
This looks great! But .... it's quite dark on my phone which is where I read ebooks. Just an FYI in case this author is releasing in eformat :)

Jaxilon
04-25-2012, 12:54 PM
Very nice, I like this one a lot! The tentacles are great I agree.

Lukc
04-25-2012, 01:08 PM
A fascinating map, I love that grass ... uhm. The plains, I mean.

Bogie
04-25-2012, 01:49 PM
Very well done! The Dark Fortress is excellent.

Clercon
04-25-2012, 02:57 PM
Very nice! I'm really fond of b/w maps, reminds me of old rpg games:-)

arsheesh
04-25-2012, 05:21 PM
This quite lovely indeed!

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

maxsdaddy
04-26-2012, 09:43 PM
B/w fits nicely on my kindle. Great work and I love that you're helping indie authors!

Sapiento
04-27-2012, 08:58 AM
Great map. Do you make the map from beginning in greyscale or do you start with a coloured version and use a b/w filter afterwards?

TheRedEpic
04-27-2012, 11:00 AM
Thanks for comments guys, i appreciate them:) @Sapiento-This was straight B/W greyscale from start to finish. I've done maps color and then translated them over, but with these e book maps, they request B/W. Its a bit easier to work that way not having to worry about saturation etc, the focus is on tonality.

~J

Sapiento
04-27-2012, 11:07 AM
OK, I understand.

Crudus
04-27-2012, 07:29 PM
It looks great. One thing that jumps out at me, that I have noticed on a lot of other maps too, is that the contour lines in the ocean are very uniform. One would imagine there would be some variation in the continental shelf as it rolled off into the ocean. Unless they are not meant to be contours, but some kind of wave outlining, but even then I'm not sure if they would poke into little bays and inlets as they do here. I think it is symptomatic of the plugin or process used to generate the outlines, but I would appreciate some time taken to edit and fix these things up a bit, especially in maps where land based details are often meticulously tweaked to perfection.

I like the shading and subtle effects very much, though. Repped :)

TheRedEpic
04-29-2012, 03:29 PM
Hey Crudus- I agree, on some of these maps the lines are a bit too uniform, and in my furure maps i have been beating them up a bit more, or distorting them so they don't look perfect:) Good eye, i appreciate the crit.

Thanks everyone, these maps are fun and actually a bit more creative than much of the other stuff i work on!

~J

Seraphine_Harmonium
04-30-2012, 08:21 PM
Gorgeous map. The only thing that bugged me was that unless I am mistaking the scale, the land relatively speaking seems too small to be bordered by three different "Oceans." But since it has been made clear that you are doing this for a client, that's not really your call to make.