PDA

View Full Version : Stereogram Maps

rlucci
04-19-2008, 02:17 PM
I've always loved 3D sterescopic images and decided today to try making a 3D stereoscopic map. It was just a test map, but frankly, it was a pain in the butt.

So has anyone done these before and have any advice or shortcuts?

-Rlucci

Midgardsormr
04-19-2008, 05:15 PM
Arcana's done some stereo work. Samples starting at about post #6 in this thread:
http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1192&highlight=stereo

He also posted a tool of some sort in there, but since stereograms give me a headache, I haven't had any desire to look at it.

RPMiller
04-19-2008, 05:20 PM
Wow! Your Anaglyph came out really well! Just to show how big of a geek I am, I actually have a pair of anaglyph glasses setting next to my computer and they are not made out of paper. Anyway, well done!

That gives me some ideas for other stuff. I wonder how a game played using anaglyph images via MapTool would be...?

JFJohnny5
04-19-2008, 11:15 PM
Wow! I don't have 3d glasses so I was looking at the parallel stereoscopic. Very cool! I would love to see some complicated dungeon maps done this way. Talk about making the game world come alive. VERY cool stuff!

Robbie
04-19-2008, 11:32 PM
In most 3d applications you can render stereo images...I create a camera rig that consists of two cameras linked to a dummy that I move around...the cameras are properly spaced for the scale of the scene and I just move them around and render the view from both cameras and use my stereogram maker to paste them together quickly.

This woudl be a quick and easy way to render out a complicated map without having to actually think about the stereo process.

RPMiller
04-19-2008, 11:34 PM
stereogram maker?

Robbie
04-19-2008, 11:38 PM
http://www.cartographersguild.com/showpost.php?p=10071&postcount=8

RPMiller
04-19-2008, 11:46 PM
I don't know why I didn't grab that the first time around, but I have it now. ;)

RobA
04-20-2008, 09:45 PM
Did you do those by hand?!?

-Rob A>

rlucci
04-20-2008, 10:42 PM
http://www.cartographersguild.com/showpost.php?p=10071&postcount=8

Thanks for the link, Arcana. I'll check it out...

Did you do those by hand?!?

Well, my hand was on the mouse. Does that count? :)

RobA
04-20-2008, 11:19 PM
I meant - "drew the two views by hand as opposed to making a 3d model you took stereo views of..."

I'm impressed!

-Rob A>

RPMiller
04-21-2008, 12:36 PM
There is actually a very easy method that can be used to create anaglyphs in PhotoShop I'll have to see if I can remember it and post it up here for anyone that might be interested.

rlucci
04-21-2008, 02:14 PM
Here's a second test. I wanted to see if I could incorporate some textures and some stuff from my dungeon map library.

As it turns out, it was actually easier this time around. I paid strict attention to the grid and kept track of the offset deltas for each layer.

Next step will be to try a full dungeon level...

-RLucci

[Edit - That's weird. The cyan color keeps going off a little bit after it's uploaded. May take some experimenting to get it right...]
[Edit - It looks like it's the saturaration that's getting fudged when I upload it. I doubt the problem is inherent to this site (which is running vBulletin), so it's probably something to do with Internet Explorer. Maybe my local settings... Anyone else getting off colors?]

RobA
04-21-2008, 04:52 PM
Cyan is perfect for me... it is the red that is off.. Could be my monitor. That is why I prefer the cross-eyed version (reproduces colour better, too)

-Rob A>

RobA
05-15-2008, 01:49 AM
Has anyone tried a chromadepth map like these here:
http://web.engr.oregonstate.edu/~mjb/chromadepth/

The glasses that come with the Crayola 3D chalk are the right kind, and will apparently work on any image of this type.

-Rob A>

RPMiller
05-15-2008, 01:17 PM
I'm intrigued! How did you find out those glasses would work? The one link shows gel markers being used. Do those glasses come with the markers? I wonder where you can get those?

RobA
05-15-2008, 07:02 PM
I found it out in a review of the Crayola 3D chalk in a parenting magazine (excuse me, but my life stage is showing :P). They said it worked well with crayons, gel markers, computer screens (and has a weird effect with movies that have high saturation... think Dick Tracy)...so long as the background is dark/black.

-Rob A>

RPMiller
05-15-2008, 08:14 PM
That is fascinating. I may have to guy up to Toys R Us this weekend...