View Full Version : A bit of help with the color palette on GIMP?
05-01-2012, 11:25 PM
So I'm going through the tutorial on this URL: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?1142-Award-Winner-Using-GIMP-to-Create-an-Artistic-Regional-RPG-Map (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?1142-Award-Winner-Using-GIMP-to-Create-an-Artistic-Regional-RPG-Map). I'm on step 7 and the palette is on step 2. Can anybody take me step by step on how to get the palette to work? I'm thinking the newer version of GIMP (v2.6) doesn't support or I just didn't set it up right (most likely the latter).
05-02-2012, 12:01 AM
What operating system do you use? (That helps give an idea of where in your file structure your stuff needs to go).
05-02-2012, 12:20 AM
I am running Windows 7 (64 bit OS). Need more Info?
05-02-2012, 06:58 AM
Hi Sim 97,
1) you download the zip file that RobA supplies to your computer.
2) you unzip the file (if this is tricky for you do a google search and find a free programme that can do this) so that you now have a City-Map-Colors.gpl file.
3) find this gimp folder in your computer (try C:\Documents and Settings\<User Name>\.gimp 2.6. In that folder you should see a folder called 'palettes'. Put the .gpl file inside the palettes folder.
4) restart GIMP if it was already open, or else start up gimp. Note how it takes a little longer than usual to start and that as it loads it says 'installing new palette files' or similar.
5) Open up the palettes dialogue (something like windows>dockagble dialogues>palettes) and select the City-Map colours palette.
6) On the normal basic toolbox, click on the colour choosing tool and you should find that your palette is installed on the palette tab.
If all that fails, you can always just take a screenshot or download the image of Rob A's colours and import it into gimp and click on each colour using the 'select colour' tool when you need them.
05-02-2012, 10:44 AM
Thanks Jacktannery. It worked, I opened the palette and saw the city map colors. I really appreciate it.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3 Copyright © 2015 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.