PDA

View Full Version : Spruce Wood [Battlemap] [WIP]

Kearnaun
05-04-2012, 02:32 PM
Hello everyone!

Decided to post my latest experiment in creating battlemaps as I work on it. A little spruce wood with a winding road leading through it. Here, have a look at my first render. Feel free to ask questions or give some advice.

Next up: 1) Improve texture of the forest floor. 2) Work on lighting 3) Add a grid

Kearnaun
05-07-2012, 02:53 PM
Made some improvements on that first version of the map. Added a shrub for a little diversity and reduced the number of trees in general. Although its model is still pretty bad. Changed the lighting slightly and added a grid. Textures of the ground are still meh, but I added some grass. It could do with more, but sadly this is about as much as my poor old PC can handle. Any thoughts?

Jacktannery
05-07-2012, 03:02 PM
I really like your trees, but they look a little metallic to me for some reason. Great map overall - I would recommend placing the grid under the trees if you can, and perhaps also slightly blurring the edge between the road and the forest floor.

atpollard
05-07-2012, 03:37 PM
I would suggest making the grid a more transparent overlay to better show the model below ... perhaps 10% opaque.

I hear you about reaching the limits of the hardware.

If I might suggest, the tree models and ground might need LESS detail for the rendering and more of a masked texture overlay POST rendering.
Just a thought.

Kearnaun
05-08-2012, 12:35 PM
Did another render with both of your suggestions, placing the grid under the trees and making it slightly opaque. I must admit I like how this strengthens the impression of rough terrain or obstacle. The slightly translucent grid makes for an interresting effect as well. It might be a bit too close in color to the trees shadows though, making for bad contrast.

Managed to add some more grass as well and deepened the road ruts to pronounce them. Post processing sadly isn't one of my strengths. ;) Now to segment the map and do some printing & taping. I might just get to use it in an upcoming RP session.

Bogie
05-08-2012, 02:31 PM
Good improvements.

My recommendation ( if you can do it ) is to lighten the tree shadows. On my screen they look so dark the ground can't be seen thru them. I would suggest 50% to 60% transparency.

My example:

Jacktannery
05-09-2012, 02:53 AM
Great improvement Kearnaun.

Kearnaun
05-10-2012, 07:20 AM
Probably should be able to improve on the shadows as you mentioned Bogie. Probably by adding another low energy lightsource with shadows switched of. Sadly I don't have the time to run another render at the moment. The map will go up at DriveThru (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/102144/Battlemap-%3A-Road-in-the-Woodshttp://) without that for the time being. Will try to make some time for this improvement on the week end though.

Didn't get to use it in RP yet either. Not that I mind. Just love it when my players come up with spontanous sidetracks on their own.

Kearnaun
05-12-2012, 08:44 AM
Got around to implement Bogie's suggestion regarding the shadows. Solves my contrast problem with shadows and gridlines nicely. Still need to render the individual map segments for the PDF though. Wondering if the map is still a bit too dark in general.

Gidde
05-12-2012, 09:16 AM
It doesn't look too dark to me, looks good!

Jacktannery
05-12-2012, 10:21 AM
I do think it is too dark. Can you add a white overlay layer on top easily?

EDIT - I just added a white overlay onto your map to see the difference. I think it is better.

Kearnaun
05-12-2012, 11:07 AM
Well, I tried to add a soft light layer in my OpenCanvas but I couldn't quite match the way you did it. Tried my hand at adjusting color curves in Gimp instead for a result that should come close. If I didn't overdo it ...

EDIT: I feel like facepalming. Of course a simple overlay layer works splendid. I just have to open my eyes, so I don't miss that layer mode.

Jacktannery
05-12-2012, 11:59 AM
Very nice - the reason my version is a few degrees darker than yours is that I set my overlay layer to 80% opacity rather than 100%. Either way, I think it looks better now.