PDA

View Full Version : [Region 1][Map 13][Town 01] Kwourin

Torq
04-20-2008, 06:50 PM
I thought I should set the scene. I am currently working on the town of Kwourin in Groam. I hope to have the beginnings of a map up tomorrow, but for now a bit of history.

During the silver rush Kwourin was a strategically placed town from which silver and tin were sent to the far corners of the region. It was essentially a trading town with a large silver vault and smelting facilities. Many orc slaves were brought into the town to be sent to the mining centres as and when they were needed. They were housed in large slave lodges on the outskirts of the town. Many of the orcs were pressed into service within Kwourin itslef and a relatively large orcish community grew up there. The town had a sizeable garrison stationed on the ridge the spans the Eastern side of the town.

During the early plague years Kwourin became the center for the study of possible cures and also a hospital town, dealing with those infected. Some of Groam's greatest healers came to reside there and an agricultural system emerged producing a small quantity of food crops, but mostly medicinal plants. With the emergence of the Grey Watch and the building of the walls the flow of the sick into Kwourin stopped. The Watch commandeered the garrison buildings and established a fortress. They immediately began a purge of all the sick, rounding them up on one fateful night and forced marching them Eastwards to an unknown destination. This caused great unrest and several riots erupted which were harshly put down by the Watch.

When the migrations began Kwourin was one of the first towns to begin emptying. It lost more than half its population. The Grey Watch were quick to give up Kwourin as a seat of their power. Its administrative systems instantly began to break down. The inability to manage the town resulted in the freedom of the orcish slaves, many of whom awoke one morning to find their compounds unlocked and their captors missing. Most of the Orcs chose to stay, often occupying the very homes occupied by their former slave masters. With the human population having dwindled the balance shifted in favour of the Orcs. Of the humans that stayed most realised the need to forge a new relationship with the former slaves. Some rudimentary agriculture remains. The orcs, due to their martial character have installed themselves as thenew local militia, in a loosely constituted unit calling itself "The shackled Talon". It is they who now garrison the town.

The human inhabotants of Kwourin may not like having the orcs so close to them, but if the city ever is attacked it is only the Talon that will stand between the enemy and the city's ruination.

Torq

Torq
04-21-2008, 10:32 AM
Here is the basic layout that I have done so far. Still got to add some of the larger and more important buildings and so a whole lot more work.

Torq

ravells
04-21-2008, 12:09 PM
Wow that looks fantastic, Torq! The mountains are stunning, complete with contour lines! - although not sure if you should keep one or the other - I like it anyway.

May be worth playing with the opacity of the fields, by making them more opaque, at the moment they look a little ghostly compared to the buildings and 'brownland'.

The town itself looks entirely disordered at the moment, like a big refugee camp. From the history you've written it sounds like the town was once under a central, military authority, so it ma be an idea to have the underlying 'bones' of the city reflect that by having them quite regimented. The healers and the smelting mines suggest districts individual to each. now the Orcs are in charge, presumably the city is more chaotic, but it might be worth to still have some of the remenants of the earlier structure of the city vaguely apparent to give it more depth?

I find convincing cities incredibly hard to draw, this is looking great.

You've inspired me to have a go at drawing one myself!

The Cartographist
04-21-2008, 04:25 PM
I think ravs is on to something.

Surely with the history that you've described there was at some point more order in the construction of the town. It looks just a little too chaotic for me right now.

Baziron
04-21-2008, 05:51 PM
I have to agree... the town looks scuttled - the buildings' positions make it look more like... hummm... a university campus at best. A more modern campus, to be precise.

The history said that the city emptied as one of the first, but it looks more as if it had been ransacked and pillaged...

Though I do love the maps' style!

Torq
04-22-2008, 03:15 AM
Sigurd has raise some possible concerns with me regarding the spelling of this town's name. For reasons of sensitivity I have decided to change the spelling. See thread title.

Torq

Torq
04-23-2008, 04:37 AM
Kwourin didn't start out as a military town. It started out as mining boom town. These towns, as I understand it, often grow faster that it is possible to establish proper administration. Johannesburg, in my own country, is a good example. They tend to be haphazard in design and reflect the rapid influx of many people.

When Kwourin beame a Grey Watch outpost it acquired a fortress and administraitve buildings, which will be included in the next draft of the map. The Watch then abandoned it and its population began to shrink.

Enough of the belated after the fact justifications for the layout. Here is the post-modern reason for it. I used the RPG Citymap Generator to set up the layout. I chose the option for a "Medium sized Central European City". I think that by adding in the up until now left out larger buildings some of your concerns will be adressed.

Thanks for the input guys.
Torq

Torq
04-23-2008, 09:46 AM
Latest wIP.

Torq

Torq
04-29-2008, 12:26 PM
Latest wip, trying to get a sense of elevation on the rocky bits. Also breaking some of the uniformity of the buildings and adding cobbled floor section of town.

Torq

RobA
04-29-2008, 02:37 PM
Wow Torq! Those beveled roofs look great (tutorial please?).

I'd also suggest adding a turbulent cloud pump map overlay on the trees to give them a bit more texture.

-Rob A>

Torq
04-29-2008, 03:22 PM
Thanks Rob. I'll give that turbulence bump map a whirl as soon as I get back to the computer tomorrow. As for the bevelled roofs, a tutorial would be a bit much. I just select all the buildings, then apply a black/white gradient to them on a separate layer, using shaped angular as a setting. Make the layer invisible and use it as a bump map for the building layer.

Torq

RobA
04-29-2008, 03:36 PM
That's what I guessed, but thanks for confirming it!

-Rob A>

ravells
04-29-2008, 04:07 PM
Looking lovely! Great work, Torq - it's coming together beautifully.

Torq
04-30-2008, 11:29 AM
Here is the same map with the bump mapping applied to the forests as suggested by RobA.

Torq

Sigurd
04-30-2008, 03:44 PM
It looks really good Torg. It has a strong sort of 'this is reality' feel to it.

very well done.

Sigurd

Airith
04-30-2008, 07:23 PM
I must say, the mountains are just epic. They just have this, natural look to them. How did you do them? They look complicated. Also it might just be me, but the forests look 'taller' then the mountains, only in some spots, but not sure how to say it.

Just looked at the latest post, guess I'm just restating what Sigurd said :o

The town definitely has the sprawling feeling to it.

ravells
04-30-2008, 07:36 PM
All I can say is 'wow'. The shading on the mountains is phenomenal. I'm gobsmacked! Is there any way you can sharpen up the forest outlines? They seem a bit out of keeping with the rest of the map which is really crisp.

Redrobes
04-30-2008, 08:24 PM
Yeah this is really right on. Theres a few small points I would make though none detract from a great bit of map.
Theres some strong vertical lines in the trees on the right side. I dont know if that is a texture issue but if it is then a tip I would suggest is to use several of the same texture blended together but at different scales strong lines tend to cancel each other out then.
The other thing is more subtle but I think that maybe the fields should have stronger borders to them. They look good but it looks as if they are translucent over the top. If some had the same kind of shadows and contrast that the buildings have then it would look a lot like hedgerows.
Lovely texture on the stone tho.

Torq
05-07-2008, 10:36 AM
Hi all. Here is the latest version of the map of Kwourin. I have taken into account much of what has been said. I couldn't implement some of it though becasue I had unfortunately merged a few toom nay layers. I learned a lesson though, and I wont make that mistake again soon.

Torq

jfrazierjr
05-07-2008, 01:08 PM
Torq, I love this map, especially the patchwork fields effect! That is my favorite thing about the map and I can't recall ever seeing any artist rendition of this effect that beats yours. If I had to complain about anything, it would be the buildings. While I love the effect you have on the buildings in general, I just don't think it meshes well with the background as well as your original version's buildings.

Oh, and I really like the sidebar way of showing points of interest. It's something you don't see much of and for this map, it just "works".

Joe

Torq
05-07-2008, 02:48 PM
Torq, I love this map, especially the patchwork fields effect! That is my favorite thing about the map and I can't recall ever seeing any artist rendition of this effect that beats yours. If I had to complain about anything, it would be the buildings. While I love the effect you have on the buildings in general, I just don't think it meshes well with the background as well as your original version's buildings.

Oh, and I really like the sidebar way of showing points of interest. It's something you don't see much of and for this map, it just "works".

Joe

Thanks Joe. I cant really take credit for the fields effects. Thats just a texture that Ravells posted here once and I snagged as fast as possible. Its been my favourite ever since. I appreciate the kind words though.

The buildings are something I also have difficulty with. I like how they turned out but agree they dont quite match. I dont think the earlier versions did either and thats why I tried for a new look. I think its because the rest of the map strives to be more photorealistic than the buildings.

Torq

ravells
05-08-2008, 06:38 AM
Hooray, fame at last! - That texture is a cinch to make. I just went into google earth and zoomed into some fields in Britain. Used the offset filter (in PSP) and clone stamp to make them tile and to get rid of any buildings etc. Presumably you could do it with other bits of landscape like deserts etc.

SpamValiant
05-08-2008, 10:35 AM
I use Google Earth for all sorts of textures. In particular, the dreaded forest tile! With a bit of work you can find all sorts of patterns...

Kasim
05-08-2008, 01:37 PM
One of the best looking maps I've ever seen.

Thanin
05-15-2008, 12:54 PM
Man, is there some school you all go to for this stuff?

NeonKnight
05-15-2008, 01:00 PM
Man, is there some school you all go to for this stuff?

Nope, just what this Guild is all about. Teaching each other.

Torq
05-15-2008, 02:12 PM
This is the school man. You're in it.

Torq

Thanin
05-15-2008, 04:03 PM
Ha, thats really cool... but now I want to ditch homework and cut class :/