PDA

View Full Version : April/May 2012 Lite Challenge Entry: Fallen Citadel

Jaxilon
05-05-2012, 03:22 AM
Unbeknownst to men a battle of epic proportions is raging with the casualties seen in the fallen fortresses of every snowstorm.

Below is one such Citadel: (My entry is a snowflake turned into a fortress. I figured I needed to post or I would never get started - the final will be larger.)

I want to give credit to www.snowcrystals.com (http://www.its.caltech.edu/~atomic/snowcrystals/) for the initial image I started with. They have a ton of awesome images of magnified snowflakes as well as lots of information about how these things form.

Lukc
05-05-2012, 05:42 AM
I'll never think of a star fort quite the same way ...

Southern_land
05-05-2012, 09:14 PM
very nice idea

Bogie
05-06-2012, 01:52 AM
Good place to start!

Gidde
05-06-2012, 12:26 PM
Good idea! This challenge is bringing out such cool entries! (err ... no pun intended.)

Jaxilon
05-07-2012, 01:04 AM
I plan to show this as a blueprint style document complete with names for locations etc but this is where I am so far.

### Latest WIP ###

Jaxilon
05-08-2012, 03:12 AM
Completed more of this. I think it's roughly about what I want. I now have to format it as a blueprint with labels and so on. I will probably tweak the coloring a bit as well once I have a background I will use.

### Latest WIP ###

arsheesh
05-08-2012, 04:08 AM
Huh, what an interesting idea. And the execution thus far is fabulous.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Jaxilon
05-09-2012, 04:12 AM
Ok, working on creating a nice looking blueprint document. I haven't done this before so it's all experimentation. I'm struggling a bit with the layout yet but as long as I can keep fitting the pieces in and it looks ok I guess I'll keep going in this direction.

I shrunk this one down a bit because it seemed like it was getting too big to take in on my screen. I might put it back at the full size.

Note: As I come to the labels I am wishing I could remember a lot more of my physics and molecular sciences. I'm talking Snowflake size here and I was imagining the weapon systems (certain of the circles) as being a sort of electron accelerators or maybe quark accelerators or something. I suppose I could just go with generic names as used in most typical sci-fi starships but I kind of wanted to stay within the microscopic sizes.

### Latest WIP ###

Bogie
05-09-2012, 10:21 AM
Looking good! Keep it at this size. The larger size was making the snowflake look pixelated. This is cleaner looking.

Jaxilon
05-09-2012, 11:46 AM
Awesome, thanks for the advice Bogie.

Also, I would like to take a moment to just say thanks to those who have said encouraging words already.

Jaxilon
05-10-2012, 02:28 AM
I have been trying to figure out how to show more of the deck layout in this and my wife has been busting my chops about it as well, LOL.

I think I like this solution but I'm going to have to go look at more blueprints to figure out how exactly I want to position things. For now here is my latest wip.

### Latest WIP ###

Tigon
05-10-2012, 11:18 AM
Love the colour scheme. The whole thing reminds me of 70's & 80's sci-fi book covers. Top work.

Jaxilon
05-11-2012, 04:37 AM
I think I'm about done with this and it's time to move on to my next project. Unless I look at it again in a the next couple days and see something that bugs me.

I attempted to create the deck labels on a colorized version of the ship with those areas being under saturated however it seemed to cause competition with the color image on the left and just didn't work so I scrapped the idea.

edit: aligned some numbering that was uneven.

### Latest WIP ###

arsheesh
05-13-2012, 10:56 PM
Love it. LOVE IT!

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Jaxilon
05-14-2012, 01:21 AM
Thanks Arsheesh. I have to say I am jealous of your sig emblem. I have yet to create what I consider the perfect one for myself but your's is close to the look I envisioned.

arsheesh
05-14-2012, 02:13 AM
Thanks Jax, I went through several revisions of it until I landed upon something I was happy with.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Jaxilon
05-14-2012, 11:54 PM
Just the tiniest bit of cleanup to try and eliminate some rough edges.

### Latest WIP ###