PDA

View Full Version : *** May Challenge - Draw a Map by Hand ***

Gidde
05-06-2012, 11:32 AM
Back by popular demand as a regular challenge, we have the Draw a Map by Hand challenge this month!

(Challenge wording gratuitously stolen from Ravells, from the November/December 2011 Lite Challenge)

Your map can be of anything and at any scale, provided that it is drawn by hand on a physical medium (e.g. paper, cloth, bark, vellum etc) This means:

The entire piece, including the map, cartouche, neatlines, labelling etc must be hand drawn or hand written on a physical medium.
No 'touching up' on the computer afterwards.
Within the above restrictions you can use any media to draw/paint with (e.g. pencils, pens, inks, paints, pastels).
For the avoidance of doubt: Computer tablets/pens are *NOT* allowed.

Scan your map or take a digital photo of it to present it here!

This should be a fun competition! We hope that there will be lots of participation (and laughs along the way). We think this is going to be a liberating experience!

Please remember to put the latest wip tag (see the Instructions sticky) before each wip attachment, so that your thumbnail goes on the thumbnail page which is here:

May Challenge Thumbnails (http://www.cartographersguild.com/forumdisplay.php?83-Current-Mapping-Challenge-Thumbnails)

Good luck and happy mapping!

Jaxilon
05-06-2012, 12:17 PM
Well this figures. I am in the position where I can still entry both challenges and I want to to do them both very much. In fact, I already posted in the Lite challenge. Now the question is can I find the time to take care of two maps at once? Oh the agony. Why couldn't this one have been something like "draw post holes" which I could have merrily declined? :)

Gidde
05-06-2012, 12:19 PM
Hahaha. I actually envy your pain. I would love to be able to do the lite challenges! I'm looking forward to entering this one as well :)

Jaxilon
05-06-2012, 12:23 PM
I know, I have thought about what happens if I ever win one of these or get a featured map. That will mean having to just observe all those lovely Lite Challenges going by instead of being able to jump in and start drawing. It will be a bitter sweet moment.

Lalaithion
05-06-2012, 02:45 PM
Damn. I started a huge hand drawn map last week.

Diamond
05-06-2012, 03:23 PM
I know, I have thought about what happens if I ever win one of these or get a featured map. That will mean having to just observe all those lovely Lite Challenges going by instead of being able to jump in and start drawing. It will be a bitter sweet moment.

Yep. So many Lites go by that I wish I could enter.... :(

mearrin69
05-06-2012, 10:15 PM
I've done a few just for fun. Might enter ths challenge if I can find some extra time this month.
M

Nighthawk
05-07-2012, 04:15 PM
Bwuh... I don't do maps by hand. :(

Just as well; this was shaping up to be a complicated month for me anyway.

Gidde
05-07-2012, 05:06 PM
I didn't for a long time either; one thing I love about these challenges is that it encourages me to push my comfort zone :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sinnyo
05-07-2012, 05:47 PM
Just when I was thinking I should probably do something in traditional media again.. well, sort of! Last time I hand-drew something it turned out to be the most popular thing in my gallery, but that was coloured digitally. Augh. But hey, I can always give pencil shading a try. I'll spare myself (and you) the dubious joys of my awful 12-colour arsenal of felt tip pens. ;)

Thanks! I'd been looking forward to this month's challenge.

Jaxilon
05-07-2012, 07:40 PM
You can always do the challenge and then colorize a second version digitally. I figure that's what I may do.

babayaya
05-08-2012, 07:07 PM
just a question........

can it be old map I've already drawn? (no more chinese ink for now... and no way to find some before at least 2 months...)

lostatsea
05-08-2012, 07:26 PM
For babayaya
Here are the basic overall rules and several Q&A. :) README-Mapping-Challenge-Rules Can't figure out why the linking function isn't working for me :o But it is in the next level up under (Forum: Current Mapping Challenge)

I won't be entering this one but perhaps some clarification. Is this totally "FREEHAND" or are Mechanical tools allowable ? ex. Ruler: Compass; Protractor etc ?

Jaxilon
05-08-2012, 07:30 PM
Part of the purpose to the challenges is training to be able to work towards and under a deadline so it is expected that everyone will create their entry within the allotted time.

If someone spent months working on something it would be likely to blow away the competition. Not that these things are so much about winning - after all the only thing you get is a gold circle next to your avatar and the knowledge that others like your work.

Basically, we are all under the honor system because it's not like anyone could know for sure...we might suspect but it's not really worth bothering with.

One of the best aspects of doing these challenges is posting the WIP as you progress and hearing lots of comments from others as well as suggestions and encouragement.

Let me see if I can create the link to the sticky lostatsea is after: Rules (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?503-README-Mapping-Challenge-Rules)

Korash
05-08-2012, 08:36 PM
Is this totally "FREEHAND" or are Mechanical tools allowable ? ex. Ruler: Compass; Protractor etc ?

I believe that the stated challenge is to create a map by physically manipulating a medium that does not reside in a computer... ;) My take is that YES you can use the full gamut of drafting tools if you want...or even crayons :D

babayaya
05-08-2012, 09:28 PM
ok, thanks for these precisions.

I'll take some time to do something inspired by my ancient times drafts.

Gidde
05-08-2012, 10:32 PM
I believe that the stated challenge is to create a map by physically manipulating a medium that does not reside in a computer... ;) My take is that YES you can use the full gamut of drafting tools if you want...or even crayons :D

I agree with Korash; I've already gratuitously used a ruler several times for the first aborted draft of my entry (damn that purple pen, and damn me for touching the real paper with it >.<).

Jaxilon
05-09-2012, 12:26 PM
I have started something in my sketchpad but I won't be able to really crank on it until I get my lite challenge entry completed and the way my wife is busting my chops about it that might take a while :) She's awesome and certainly not worried about my feelings, LOL.

rdanhenry
05-09-2012, 02:00 PM
Part of the purpose to the challenges is training to be able to work towards and under a deadline

Sadly, what I really need is the ability to get things done without a deadline.

Sinnyo
05-10-2012, 01:12 PM
Sadly, what I really need is the ability to get things done without a deadline.

This made my day. I apologise for not making much of a contribution to the topic with this reply, but I had to say something in solidarity. :P

Niall Mackay
05-11-2012, 08:13 AM
In a boring lecture about european religious history today i did call a tradition of mine back to life: decorating my seperator sheets in my folder! I started with the one for Political Geography, which relys heavily on territory, borders and stuff. So what would suit that better than a map?
And now i see that there is a challenge about hand drawn maps. Well, it won't be a big map, and unfortunatelly I now have coloured sheets instead of my former white ones, so the map's background will be pink, but screw it, i'll just enter that challenge and give it a try. :)

Sapiento
05-12-2012, 05:35 AM
Great idea for the May challenge. I hope I get some good ideas (and enough time) to add an entry.

Jaxilon
05-12-2012, 11:49 AM
Well Sap, since I am also working on an entry....I kind of hope you don't.... ROFL.

Just kidding as stated before the more the merrier and it feels a little more empty if you win and none of the great mappers around here had any entries.

Still, now I know I have to try and bring my 'A' game. :)

Sapiento
05-14-2012, 02:56 PM
Well Sap, since I am also working on an entry....I kind of hope you don't.... ROFL.

Just kidding as stated before the more the merrier and it feels a little more empty if you win and none of the great mappers around here had any entries.

Still, now I know I have to try and bring my 'A' game. :)

Can't wait to see your entry, Jax!

Jaxilon
05-14-2012, 10:18 PM
I know there is no image processing but can I scan this in and duplicate the layer just to make it readable or do I have to go over the entire thing with Ink? I thought in the past we could adjust the scanned image just for darkness purposes but no painting or coloring, etc?

I know that in the end it's up to the voters but I figured I would ask this for everyone's benefit. Sap for instance lost a lot of the darkness of his original during the porting of it to the PC. Personally, I don't see anything bad about tweaking it to look more like the original but cleaning up edges or running any sort of filters would be out. Just my opinion though and I'm happy to go with whatever everyone else thinks.

Gidde
05-15-2012, 12:54 AM
I dunno, that seems like processing to me ... but I'm a bit of a stickler. Can we get some other opinions?

Jaxilon
05-15-2012, 02:09 AM
Well, it's basically the conversation we had in this thread last time we did this: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?16583-***November-December-2011-Lite-Challenge-Draw-a-Map-by-Hand***

I guess I can tweak my scanner when I use it so I don't loose pencil lines that aren't carved into the paper but it seems that those with better scanners will get better quality. I can take a shot with my digital camera if I can find the thing. That puppy eats batteries like crazy though. I will say that since my piece is covering two pages in my sketch book I will have to cobble that together for the whole. If that's not ok I will have to settle for the side of the map I like best, hehe.

I'm ok with whatever we decide because it's all about the hand work anyway.

Sinnyo
05-15-2012, 06:05 AM
Interesting point! I have used inks in mine so far in order to avoid the problem you describe, Jaxilon, but I was hoping to shade in pencil and it's likely I would have to adjust the light levels before scanning in order to bring them out in something approaching the original clarity. I'm also drawing on an A3 sheet, which means I'll have to scan twice at A4 then merge the pieces, probably adding a touch of light to that gutter area where the excess paper has been lifted slightly off the platen.

All of which amounts to processing in some form or another. :o

I seem to find myself in the "well, I would have done it myself" mindset, Jaxilon. :P

Gidde
05-15-2012, 10:13 AM
Well, I'm all for going with the majority; we've always had kind of a voters-police-the rules policy anyhow.

But I have to wonder why you guys would put yourselves in the spot to begin with; when I started planning my entry my number one thought was "what will scan well?" and i decided materials etc that i knew i could scan without the double page issue etc.

Speaking of which I gotta get a thread going before I wimp out ;)

Jaxilon
05-15-2012, 11:48 AM
Here's an idea that might work. I can take a picture of everything which won't be much on format but will show the original. Then I can post that along with the scanned in copy and the voters can decide if it looks like I'm cheating or not. Pretty much like Sinnyo did in her thread. I may just use my phone to take the overall shot though so I'm not sure how well that is going to come out.

Sinnyo
05-15-2012, 12:45 PM
If no-one minds, I'd like to try that too. I *have* shot myself in the foot a bit by choosing A3, but I have to in order to accommodate a bigger map. My pens are too thick and my scanner too small to do much else, and my rather lame defence is that I draw so few maps, I felt this one should probably follow the same theme as an earlier piece of work.

Well, live and learn; I'll do what I can to get a digital camera shot to go alongside, like Jaxilon suggests, and I'll consider sticking to villages and stuff for the next challenge. :)

Easky30
05-16-2012, 01:59 AM
Would a hand drawn map based on a book or movie violate any of the copyright rules for the challenge?

Jaxilon
05-16-2012, 02:01 AM
I don't think so, fan art is usually not a copyright violation. Of course, if you were going to sell it then you might be headed into some problems.

Easky30
05-16-2012, 02:35 AM
Thank you for clearing that up. My idea is to create a street map of a city from Game of Thrones and what it would look like today with streets, highways and railroads etc.

Jaxilon
05-21-2012, 02:01 AM
Well, great, not only did I have extra work I had to take care of on Saturday but we got slammed by family and friends. Now I feel like I am really behind. I did a bunch of experimenting and I know what I want to do now but it's all going to depend on how much time I can squeeze out of the evenings this week. Also this weekend is ComicCon in Phoenix so I think myself and a buddy may be going to check that out. If so I'm really under the crunch and not sure if I can get all of my project together on time.

Figures that you suddenly get all kinds of life when you have something you really want to do :)

maxsdaddy
05-24-2012, 09:51 PM
"Figures that you suddenly get all kinds of life when you have something you really want to do".. I think it must be your karma at work ;) I've only been on this forum for a "relatively" (internet wise) short time, but the amount of feedback and
number of entries is really impressive. This ought to be a recurring challenge. The voting part of this challenge is going to stress all of us. Oops. just spotted the "regular" in the challenge description.

Gidde
05-26-2012, 11:55 AM
Ok ... I was planning on closing this challenge tomorrow night, but then Jax mentioned the 31st. So, what does everyone think? A couple more days, or should it end tomorrow so that we can get voting done by the 31st and start a new challenge on the 1st?

Seraphine_Harmonium
05-26-2012, 07:48 PM
I'd be glad of having a few extra days for finishing touches.

Jaxilon
05-27-2012, 01:25 AM
Well, I'm all for a few more days myself but according to the rules which I just double checked since I didn't really remember:

Entry deadline - Entries for each Challenge must be posted prior to the last five days of that particular Challenges month.

That said, I would at least like to be able to get my entry scanned in tomorrow and posted but whatever is fair to all gets my vote.

Gidde
05-27-2012, 01:48 AM
Yeah, definitely you'd have time to scan and such; I was planning on closing the challenge between 11pm and midnight tomorrow night. Hm. Split the difference and close it Monday night?

flocko
05-27-2012, 03:39 AM
I'd appreciate any extra time you're willing to give. One day would make a big difference for me.

Gidde
05-27-2012, 08:13 AM
Monday night it is then. So the official 1-day warning:

This challenge will close Monday, May 28 between 11pm and Midnight EDT.

Niall Mackay
06-01-2012, 08:54 AM
Damn, i totally forgot to upload the finished version of my map, just thought about it yesterday, but it was already closed... Well, maybe next time.

Saule
06-01-2012, 09:23 AM
Some amazing pieces, great job everyone!

Lenox274
06-01-2012, 06:09 PM
So Im casting my vote for Cereth- is there a place to "cast a vote" or is this enough to write it here?

Gidde
06-01-2012, 06:14 PM
Hi Lenox! At the top of this page is a poll, and you actually get three votes. So check the boxes next to your 3 favorites, and then hit Submit at the bottom of the poll. Then your votes are cast :)

Lenox274
06-02-2012, 03:24 PM
well I missed my chance to vote. dammit

Sapiento
06-09-2012, 03:08 PM
Wouldn't it be time for the June challenge?

Diamond
06-09-2012, 03:09 PM
Yeah... the month is almost a third gone...

vorropohaiah
06-09-2012, 03:56 PM
i too was wondering when the June challenge would start, I'm itching to try my hand at one

Jaxilon
06-09-2012, 04:03 PM
I think I'm the only CL on at the moment and I know there had been a discussion on what to use for this month's challenge. I will go see what was said and if nothing else pull a rabbit out of a hat and we will make a map based on the coloring of it's fur.....stand by.

Gidde
06-10-2012, 01:27 PM
Yay Jax for picking up the slack.

Bogie
06-10-2012, 01:41 PM
Thanks for keeping things going Jax and Gidde!