PDA

View Full Version : Pirate Maps!

Chel
04-21-2008, 07:25 AM
Hi! I just joined the community this evening, and was going to post this
after I finished it, but everyone seems to be really responsive and helpful
with suggestions/critiques so I figured I'd toss up a WIP.

:?: First ever colour map attempt, did some DnD type doodles back in
highschool. A fantastical version of the Caribbean as part of a
graphic novel project. All under copyright I'm afraid, but I'll post some
freebie ornaments and such if there's interest. :)

[Photoshop CS3E / Painter X | intuos 2 | About 36 layers | lots of brush lag]

http://www.blackspotstudio.com/bssbucket/PraetCarib01b.jpg

To Do: (Quite a bit more colour.)
I'll be coloring the ornament in the upper right and land masses as well as
labelling islands and I'm puzzling out a way to depict detailed current
directions in a visually pleasing way.

NeonKnight
04-21-2008, 07:30 AM
Welcome to the Guild, and a Fantastic first post.

Welcome!

Chel
04-21-2008, 07:31 AM
Here's the flow map I pieced together from a weather site, going to try to
incorporate this concept... just prettier. >.> Any ideas would be appreciated,
it's 4:28am and my creative juices ran dry a couple hours ago. :o

Best I can figure is to do little arrows like this, just lower the opacity and make
'em a little fuzzier/blurry. OR Larger transparent arrows, all stylized to fit the
period.

http://www.blackspotstudio.com/bssbucket/flow.gif

Carnifex
04-21-2008, 08:51 AM
That is a nice looking map indeed. Sweet! I'd go for transparent and stylized bigger arrows.

Anna
04-21-2008, 11:09 AM
Impressive, most impressive!

I especially like the text banners top and bottom, appropriate and imaginative words. And that parchment look is top notch. I would love to see a tutorial on how to accomplish that.

I think you are on the right track with your idea on how to make wind arrows, interesting to see how you can incorporate them and keep it stylish.

You have given me inspiration and ideas, thank you so much :D
And good luck with your mapping!

//Anna

Midgardsormr
04-21-2008, 11:55 AM
Wonderful! If this were the final image, I'd be impressed. I can't wait to see where you're headed!

RPMiller
04-21-2008, 12:01 PM
The first idea that popped into my mind was Poseidon blowing wind. At least I think it is Poseidon. I've seen similar pictures before with an old man blowing the wind into a sail, or making the sea tumultuous.

RobA
04-21-2008, 12:16 PM
You might want to try showing the currents using something like contour lines...(though I'll admit I have never seen this before)

Here is a quick mockup on the gulf chunk of your map. I just posterized a greyscale "flow-density map" that was a little too flat in the middle... Ideally instead of continual lines, if you could use segments that taper at both ends it might look nicer...

-Rob A>

RPMiller
04-21-2008, 12:21 PM
Ding, ding, ding! Once again RobA submits an incredible idea/map. I like that approach! REPPED!

ravells
04-21-2008, 01:17 PM
But then you'd still arrow heads to show the direction the current is flowing in unless there's a more cunning way to show direction of flow without using arrow heads...dunno. You're the waterman, RobA - you figure it out!

Carnildo
04-21-2008, 01:33 PM
Nice job! Thought I'd share my work covering the same area. I did the insert map for Sid Meier's Pirates:
http://marc.hudgins.googlepages.com/PIRATESmapSmall.jpg

Chel
04-21-2008, 01:54 PM
Holy crap, it's an active forum. Thanks for all the replies! :!: And that's one slick looking map. I think I have a copy of that insert somewhere around here actually...

You might want to try showing the currents using something like contour lines...(though I'll admit I have never seen this before)

-Rob A>

Ooooh, yes that looks awesome. I'll have to play with that idea :D

The Cartographist
04-21-2008, 02:57 PM
I would use small, stylized arrows although nowhere near as many as are on the weather chart. I would use only enough to convey the major current features, and not every little permutation or detail. Afterall, they wouldn't have super detailed information in such a setting.

Chel
04-21-2008, 03:25 PM
I would use small, stylized arrows although nowhere near as many as are on the weather chart. I would use only enough to convey the major current features, and not every little permutation or detail. Afterall, they wouldn't have super detailed information in such a setting.

Agreed, and permutation is such a great word. >.> Sometimes I need to be reined in from going overboard with detail and bogging my work down. Thanks!

RobA
04-21-2008, 03:50 PM
I was kind of thinking something like this:

probably made with brush dynamics...

-Rob A>

torstan
04-21-2008, 04:22 PM
That's a stunning map. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out. Is the seal with the woman and dolphins freehand?

Chel
04-21-2008, 04:33 PM
Yep, freehand using a tablet in photoshop. Mirrored the dolphins. She's from about a year ago so I need to update her anatomy but here's a larger version:

RPMiller
04-21-2008, 05:01 PM
Chel, I removed the image for now. I need to talk this over with Arcana and the other CLs. While I personally have no problem with it, we have to maintain a certain level of "family friendness". Because the breasts were a bit more "detailed" than would be generally accepted, I pulled until we decide if it is ok to use.

RPMiller
04-21-2008, 09:05 PM
Chel, we talked it over and you can go ahead and repost the image. We also made a decision on what we would allow which is will come in handy for future posted works. Sorry about censoring your post, but we are still working out what is acceptable and all that. Please repost it, I thought it was really good. I am curious about what you meant by "update her anatomy" though.

Chel
04-22-2008, 12:09 AM
Chel, we talked it over and you can go ahead and repost the image. We also made a decision on what we would allow which is will come in handy for future posted works. Sorry about censoring your post, but we are still working out what is acceptable and all that. Please repost it, I thought it was really good. I am curious about what you meant by "update her anatomy" though.

Whoops! Didn't even occur to me that it might not be appropriate. I'll bear
that in mind with any other possible nudity postings.

..and she has some issues with her arms and shoulder connections. Just a
little awkward and wooden looking in hindsight. By the by, I have no issue
censoring, that's what cockle shells are for. *grin*

Tethys: Goddess of the Sea depending on which Greek polis you ask.
http://www.blackspotstudio.com/bssbucket/tethys.png

RPMiller
04-22-2008, 12:19 AM
We decided that this would be equivalent to the nudity found in any high school book that had art from the represented time period so it was fine. Thank you for being understanding.

Are those tentacles coming out from behind her? :shock:

Chel
04-22-2008, 12:37 AM
We decided that this would be equivalent to the nudity found in any high school book that had art from the represented time period so it was fine. Thank you for being understanding.

Are those tentacles coming out from behind her? :shock:

Ahahaha, yes. They're coming from her hair/scalp. Mind you this was BEFORE I saw the newer Pirates of the Caribbean. ;)

Arronis
04-23-2008, 06:39 AM
WOW! That's one hell of a map you made there! Would be nice if you made a tutorial on how you made it... Though I know that most of the people here don't really use Photoshop but I'm sure that some of the elements you used might be usefull for any cartographer here! Keep up the good work man!

pyrandon
04-23-2008, 05:10 PM
... Though I know that most of the people here don't really use Photoshop ...

Actually, we have a LOT of PS users here. :)

And I will wholeheartedly support Arronis' suggestion of a tutorial, Chel! Do it do it do it!!

GlennZilla
04-24-2008, 11:23 AM
Actually I find that several people use Photoshop. I wouldn't call us a majority, but there's a lot. Since there's a lot of GiMP users also and they can convert most of the Photoshop instructions over, you'd be suprised how big your audience would be.

delgondahntelius
05-01-2008, 04:46 AM

Very glad you decided this was acceptable... :) glad to see that you talked it out and artistic minds prevailed... :D

have some rep :)