PDA

View Full Version : Unnamed map

sim97fan3
05-08-2012, 10:23 PM
So this is a map I finished using the tutorial on this page (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?18326-Antique-Tolkien-style-Map-in-GIMP). I'm satisified with the end result and I really like the style. I'd love to get some feed back on what I can do better though and also maybe guided to a tutorial on name making that would match the style.

Gidde
05-09-2012, 12:09 AM
Looks pretty good! I like the shape of the land mass and the mountain placement looks spot-on to me.

Your rivers are misbehaving badly though. :( A few quick tips (there are more in the Rivers sticky in the tut forum): 1) Rivers travel from high land to low land (usually the sea). 2) As they travel, they join; they almost never split. 3) Lakes will have exactly one outlet, other than temporary situations.

Also, you seem to have a LOT of really big lakes. Being from Michigan which is one of the most lake-rich areas in the world, it looks just fine to me ;) And big ol' lakes seem to grow like hotcakes in fantasy realms. But in reality the number of really big inland-sea type lakes is very small. The one in the center in particular seems like it would just erode that tiny bit of land into a big bay instead.

It does however, look like a good implementation of the style, water issues aside :)