PDA

View Full Version : Dungeon WiPs

StarRaven
05-10-2012, 11:15 PM
Working on a couple dungeons for a game I'd like to start soon!

First one here is a small dungeon filled mostly with giant spiders:
Entrance is at the bottom (a) -- basically a big hole in the ground, slowly leading down into some caves. Exit or alternate entrance is at the top (i) -- the basement level of an abandoned watchtower. Upwards is the lair of the spider queen, who is somewhat eccentric....

I'm not sure about the elevations here, but I can't really think of another good way to do it. I'm thinking I need to lower the opacity on them a little, at least, though, to keep them from looking more like sheer cliffs than the gradual slopes they're supposed to represent.

I really love the font (Troll Bait) that I used for the room labels but I'm worried it might be too hard to read. :(

I wanted to use different colors for some things, but I wanted to make sure they wouldn't lose too much by printing in black and white, so I went with only a few, very desaturated colors. I think it's a good compromise, and doesn't look too bad.

I'm still pondering exactly what to put in those empty rooms. Giant spiders are all well and good, but I'm still thinking about a couple other things that might fit in alongside them, just to mix it up a bit.

Thanks for looking!

arsheesh
05-10-2012, 11:22 PM
Ooh I like it! It totally reminds me of an OD&D Renaissance map, perhaps along the lines of something from Labyrinth Lord. What about putting an Ettercap in one of the rooms?

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

StarRaven
05-11-2012, 11:28 AM
I don't play much D&D, so I had to look up Ettercaps. Kind of a spider-man? :O (Had to look up Labyrinth Lord, too, actually.) An interesting idea. Thanks!

Spider man, spider man, does whatever a-- uh, nothing, nevermind.

I'm having some trouble keeping the scale of these dungeons in mind when I'm looking at them like this. I wonder if I should change them to an isometric view. Might try it with the next one.

StarRaven
05-28-2012, 04:18 PM
My work schedule has been brutal lately. Too much stuff to do, not enough time to do it. Anyhoo, this dungeon is finished:
I found a list of ideas I had for it and applied those. Instead of using more types of monsters, I made the giant spiders I already planned on more interesting! The only other monster in the caves is a giant lizard. The spiders don't mess with him. :3

Next dungeon!
This one is an abandoned monastery. I tried out some new stuff. It's pretty close to finished, but there's still a few things I want to add and fix. I tried sticking to the grid lines this time, and I wonder if it looks better or worse?

arsheesh
05-28-2012, 05:48 PM
These are great Star Raven! You've really managed to capture the OSR feel of a Dungeon crawl, only, your dungeons are prettier. I like the grid-lines btw. Are you planning to do a series of these? I sure hope so, for I confess that I may snag some for my own personal gaming use if you do.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

StarRaven
05-29-2012, 01:44 AM
I'm glad you like them. :3 I do indeed plan to keep making them! They are for my blog -- I'm thinking of starting a dungeon-a-week thing (or one a month, at least, if I can't keep up with that.) I'm trying to nail down a nice style for them so they look like the series they are.

Feel free to use them! I'm thinking of sticking a CC license on them, but the ones on the CC site are a tad small for the resolution I like, so I'm still poking around there. I tried to keep them printer-friendly. I can post unlabeled versions as well, if that would help. (I'm making them anyway, for use on a virtual tabletop. Wouldn't do to have the players know there was going to be a cave-in or whatnot, hehe!)

I originally outlined the monastery for the one-page-dungeon contest, but I learned about the contest late and work got in the way of finishing it. :( Ah well; it got me going working on dungeons anyway, and that's all that matters! :D

RobA
05-29-2012, 10:41 AM
Welcome back StarRaven! Nice to see you posting a few maps up again!

-Rob A>

ruff
07-27-2012, 04:39 PM
Like the maps, cant wait to see more from you..