PDA

View Full Version : The CWBP Wiki is Now Open.

Torq
04-22-2008, 06:04 AM
AS you can see the wiki is now open. Please open your accounts there. I would ask that you use the same names as on these boards. It makes it easier for everyone. When you have been signed up you will have editing priviliges on most of the pages. Please make use of the editing facilities in the wiki which allow you to make notes, whenever you edit, setting out the reasons and motivations behind the edit.

Three of our members have graciously accepted the job of acting as supervising editors on the wiki. They are The Cartographist, Industrygothica and Baziron. Congrats to the three of them. All three have already been busy filling pages. They will need everyone's assistance, so please give them your full support and cooperation. They have the ultimate responsibility when it comes to editing and content choice and are looking at the big picture to make sure that their is an overall unity to the game world and have the unenviable task of pulling all the disparate strings togther.

You may still post material on these boards in the same thread as the individual maps, or you can do it directly into the wiki. The first option is probably better because it allows for debate on the content and lets the editors have a good look at it before they incorporate it.

The cool logo on the wiki was done by RobA using the guild compass logo and Neon's world map. You will be comforted to know that Arcana is the admin on the wiki. I will also try and answer any questions you may have.

This project has really taken off thanks to the fantastic dedication, skill and open-mindedness that you have all shown. The wiki is the next major step. Lets get it off to a flyer.

Torq

industrygothica
04-22-2008, 06:10 AM
You may still post material on these boards in the same thread as the individual maps, or you can do it directly into the wiki. The first option is probably better because it allows for debate on the content and lets the editors have a good look at it before they incorporate it.

Torq

Definitely a better option, imho.

Redrobes
04-22-2008, 08:02 AM
I know I can be a bit dense at times but I can't find the link into the wiki :?:

A post here and in the 'news' topic might be useful.

industrygothica
04-22-2008, 08:37 AM
I know I can be a bit dense at times but I can't find the link into the wiki :?:

A post here and in the 'news' topic might be useful.

Ha!

Pardon me while I pick myself up from the floor...:lol:

Try here: http://cwbp.cartographersguild.com

RobA
04-22-2008, 11:02 AM
You can see it at the top of the main forum page.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

-Rob A>

Redrobes
04-22-2008, 01:54 PM
Ahh right ! I look at the pages using the Quick Links / Todays Posts and I was looking in the thread, my email notifications and on the main front page. Didn't think to look at the CWBP topic itself - didn't occur to me that you could have extra links there. I tried a few random urls too like .com/wiki or wiki.campaign etc but missed the vital one. Sigh... More obvious now. :D

And now that I am there... theres no wikilinks into the world descriptions... ??? Probably me being dense again. I can see them by using the special pages functions of MediaWiki tho. I guess were waiting for the name.

Would be easer to crack a safe than get at this content...

Well done all for getting a wiki up tho. It is going to be much easier now.

RobA
04-22-2008, 02:11 PM
The sidebar menu still has to built...That should provide many of the wikilinks to categories. The main page also, still needs editing...

-Rob A>

ravells
04-22-2008, 03:16 PM
I just look at the content by clicking the recent changes button.

industrygothica
04-22-2008, 03:53 PM
The sidebar menu still has to built...That should provide many of the wikilinks to categories. The main page also, still needs editing...

-Rob A>

Thanks for the logo, btw! It looks incredible.

RobA
04-22-2008, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the logo, btw! It looks incredible.

No problem! I consider it a placeholder until a name is chosen, but I did like the way it turned out.

-Rob A>

Robbie
04-22-2008, 07:34 PM
I've provided instructions to the CLs on how to change the Sidebar...I'm on limited tiem right now due to travel until tomorrow afternoon, so if nothing has been done I'll try to make a few suggested links and we can go from there.

industrygothica
04-22-2008, 10:23 PM
For anyone that desires a bit of input, search the wiki for The Beastlands.

I've changed the formatting a bit to look like something you might find out of the Forgotten Realms or Eberron campaign setting books.

While the information is nowhere near complete, I'd love a bit of input on the layout, and any possible modifications that may need to be made.

I am aware that the thumbnail image is not displaying correctly; Arcana is working on that as we speak.

ravells
04-23-2008, 05:25 AM
Looks really good, ig! I like the way you've structured the information. I'm in the process of trying to come up with a mapping stlye for settlement mapping - working on Farpoint at the moment, but nothing to post as I'm still playing with ideas.

In addition to the map, I suggest that you have a thumbnail of the region with beastlands highlighted so that people can orient themselves. Want me to make one for you?

industrygothica
04-23-2008, 05:38 AM
Looks really good, ig! I like the way you've structured the information. I'm in the process of trying to come up with a mapping stlye for settlement mapping - working on Farpoint at the moment, but nothing to post as I'm still playing with ideas.

In addition to the map, I suggest that you have a thumbnail of the region with beastlands highlighted so that people can orient themselves. Want me to make one for you?

If you don't mind, that'd be fantastic.

RobA
04-23-2008, 09:24 AM
I am seing images broken-

"Error creating thumbnail: /usr/bin/convert: Unrecognized option (-thumbnail)."

Anyone else?

Torq
04-23-2008, 09:35 AM
I'm getting that error too.

Torq

industrygothica
04-23-2008, 10:03 AM
For anyone that desires a bit of input, search the wiki for The Beastlands.

I've changed the formatting a bit to look like something you might find out of the Forgotten Realms or Eberron campaign setting books.

While the information is nowhere near complete, I'd love a bit of input on the layout, and any possible modifications that may need to be made.

I am aware that the thumbnail image is not displaying correctly; Arcana is working on that as we speak.

That would be what I was referring to.

-IG

RobA
04-23-2008, 10:43 AM
mmmm. the problem with skimming posts :(

-Rob A>

Robbie
04-25-2008, 07:10 PM
Wiki thumbnails are now fixed. The problem was ImageMagick...switched to GD Library and all is well. Thumbnails are automaticaly created when linking to an image I believe. IG seems to have it.

RobA
04-25-2008, 08:38 PM
Can someone write up a "world overview page" that lists all the areas defined (and can be added to as more are put in)?

I've been updating the sidebar menu as new areas are described, but it could get unwieldy quite quickly.

A couple of pages with little other than lists would even be a goos start.

-Rob A>

industrygothica
04-25-2008, 11:11 PM
Can someone write up a "world overview page" that lists all the areas defined (and can be added to as more are put in)?

I've been updating the sidebar menu as new areas are described, but it could get unwieldy quite quickly.

A couple of pages with little other than lists would even be a goos start.

-Rob A>

I actually have a TOC written out that I was going to use for the sidebar. Turns out that that apparently only SysOps have that access though. Had a few more things on it than just locations, such as the Time & Seasons calender that Neon is working on. I'll pose it if you want to take care of that since you have SysOp access.

RobA
04-26-2008, 10:57 AM
Go for it and then PM me and I'll stick a link in the sidebar.

-Rob A>

industrygothica
04-26-2008, 11:07 AM
Go for it and then PM me and I'll stick a link in the sidebar.

-Rob A>

It's obviously far from complete, but I think you can see where I'm going with it. Feel free to add or remove as necessary.

Life in (CWBP)
*Time & Seasons

Geography
*(Region 1 Name)
**Akron
**Brinsmerd
**Bruskos
**Groam
**Lingemerd
**Orvaelos
**Shegral

Organizations

RobA
04-26-2008, 09:54 PM
OK -

I added an overview page: http://cwbp.cartographersguild.com/index.php?title=Overview
with that content, and created a link from the sidebar.

Also added a sidebar link to an index page that was set up: http://cwbp.cartographersguild.com/index.php?title=Current_List

-Rob A>

industrygothica
04-26-2008, 09:59 PM
OK -

I added an overview page: http://cwbp.cartographersguild.com/index.php?title=Overview
with that content, and created a link from the sidebar.

Also added a sidebar link to an index page that was set up: http://cwbp.cartographersguild.com/index.php?title=Current_List

-Rob A>

Great. I appreciate your help there.

I'd like to figure out how to get some dropdown menus or something for the TOC, but that'll have to wait.

Robbie
04-28-2008, 09:32 AM
I dunno about dropdown menus...Wiki formatting including sidebars is supposed to be very broad. One of the biggest tasks of editors is going to be to create context links. All the way down to the descriptive text, if a word or title appears that relates to another page, you should link it. It's very easy to do, and helps keep the 6 degrees of separation concept intact.

Check out all the context links on this page (which just happens to be open in another browser right now for me, and is a fantastic band...From Mars To Sirius is really great album...Where Dragons Dwell is a great song too) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gojira_%28band%29

See how even in the descriptive text there's tons of links? Thats what we should be doing...which makes it really easy to get from one page to another just by surfing.

Also...I think the Main Page is due for an overhaul...I just kinda threw it together to get it started...I know a sysop has to do the editing, but if someone will post something here, or pm me it, or maybe an editor can use the main page's discussion tab to post what the main page shoudl have, and I'll move it over.

industrygothica
04-28-2008, 09:58 AM
I think I nice, banner-sized graphic would be dandy on the front page. ;) We can put a detailed introduction as to what the project is all about and how it got started underneath it, followed by the TOC that's on the overview page now.

So there's my two cents.

-IG

Robbie
04-28-2008, 10:10 AM
I definitely like the idea of a nice dandy introduction paragraph for sure. I'm not good at writing such things though. I know Ravells and Pyrandon are good at that though...The blurb on the homepage and the magazine article are shining examples of their work ;)

ravells
04-28-2008, 10:16 AM
I wouldn't want to take the words out of the mouth of Torq's baby ;)

As he's a man of letters, I'm sure that he can produce something far better than Don and I could!

<dodge dodge>

RobA
04-28-2008, 10:41 AM
Robbie-

Can image maps with links be set up in the wiki?

-Rob A>

Robbie
04-28-2008, 10:57 AM
Not that I know of, no...I'll have to look into it this evening

industrygothica
04-28-2008, 06:03 PM
Robbie-

Can image maps with links be set up in the wiki?

-Rob A>

THAT would be awesome.

ravells
04-29-2008, 07:01 AM
Hi Guys, I'm a complete Wiki newbie, but I've been playing with tables. Have a look at the page entitled 'example table' (http://cwbp.cartographersguild.com/index.php?title=Example_Table)- may be helpful for maps and stuff as you can get the table to float on the right with the text running down the left. Anyway it's just a thought for the editors to use if they wish.

I tried looking into Templates but was soon defeated by the coding skills required to make them.

industrygothica
04-29-2008, 07:21 AM
Hi Guys, I'm a complete Wiki newbie, but I've been playing with tables. Have a look at the page entitled 'example table' (http://cwbp.cartographersguild.com/index.php?title=Example_Table)- may be helpful for maps and stuff as you can get the table to float on the right with the text running down the left. Anyway it's just a thought for the editors to use if they wish.

I tried looking into Templates but was soon defeated by the coding skills required to make them.

From what I can tell, the thumbnail code alone ( [[image.xxx|thumb|##px]] ) without any alignment parameters will do the same thing. There may be a case when that doesn't work, but I haven't seen it yet.

Granted, I'm a wiki newbie too. Very, very new.

I played with tables a bit too when I imported Neon's calendar; they're a bit of a pain really. At least to me.

-IG

ravells
04-29-2008, 07:39 AM
Oh well, ignore it then - I was so excited I made a table!

Robbie
04-29-2008, 07:52 AM
Somebody needs to make a WYSIWYG off-line Wiki editor...Like a Wordpad that has a code view for you to copy and paste into wiki.

I wonder if it already exists?

industrygothica
04-29-2008, 08:30 AM
Somebody needs to make a WYSIWYG off-line Wiki editor...Like a Wordpad that has a code view for you to copy and paste into wiki.

Good luck with that. I've been searching for that since this thing's started!

ravells: didn't mean to go bursting any bubbles. Well done on the table! ;)

RobA
04-29-2008, 12:54 PM
THAT would be awesome.

I did locate this mediawiki imagemap extension (what wikipedia uses)

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ImageMap

Arcana - this might be necessary to start connecting maps to wiki entries...

-Rob A>

ravells
04-29-2008, 02:59 PM
Good luck with that. I've been searching for that since this thing's started!

ravells: didn't mean to go bursting any bubbles. Well done on the table! ;)

Lol, no bubbles were harmed in the writing of your message!

Redrobes
04-29-2008, 04:35 PM
...mediawiki imagemap extensionLet me know if you use this as I can help a little here.

RobA
04-29-2008, 04:48 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Text_editor_support
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:External_editors

and there is a windows program here (but I have not used it):
http://examples.anotherwebcom.com/wikis/MediaWiki/Category:Offline_MediaWiki_Text_Editor

-Rob A>

Robbie
04-29-2008, 05:53 PM
Neat! I'll work on getting the imagemap extension implemented later tonight. Although, I think having a google maps api implementation would be better.

Venardhi
05-04-2008, 02:15 AM
I did some editing of the Orvaelos-related articles. I made a lot of empty entries for anyone who wants to work with me in filling out the culture, peoples, history, etc.

I'll also offer my services (though limited in how much time I can put in) for illustrations of peoples and creatures and notable features.

Torq
05-04-2008, 04:12 PM
Cool offer Venardhi. I'm sure I'll be calling on your artistic skills. I have a few things in mind.

Torq

industrygothica
07-03-2008, 02:36 PM
I don't suppose anyone with SysOp access would like to make a Project Overview page for the navigation pane on the wiki, would they? Seems we've got everything covered there except for exactly what it is we're trying to accomplish.

-IG

RobA
07-04-2008, 10:36 AM
I don't suppose anyone with SysOp access would like to make a Project Overview page for the navigation pane on the wiki, would they? Seems we've got everything covered there except for exactly what it is we're trying to accomplish.

-IG

Done, and a blank page created:

http://cwbp.cartographersguild.com/index.php?title=Project_Overview

-Rob A>

industrygothica
07-04-2008, 03:32 PM
Done, and a blank page created:

http://cwbp.cartographersguild.com/index.php?title=Project_Overview

-Rob A>

Fantastic, thank you. I know that somewhere around here there's a mission statement of sorts. I'll find it sometime in the midst of the festivities and get it translated over.

Thanks again.

-IG

ravells
07-06-2008, 01:12 PM
We also need to import all the cool maps made in last month's challenge into the Wiki and I guess into this section of the Guild for completeness.

:: Edit :: I think I've copied them all, if anyone can see any errors, please tell me.

cheers

Ravs

Redrobes
07-06-2008, 06:20 PM
Great stuff Ravs. Can you do me a favour ? I started a new thread for Crazy Krull Crossing with the intention of copying it all over and now there are two of them but one (the new one) has Map 7 (old one was Map 07). So can you take the new thread posts and tack on the end of the old thread and delete the new thread. Ta. BTW '07' is better than '7' for a naming convention.

Ill run my indexer as soon as I am back on my usual PC.

Also, for IndustryGothica I added the links to the map thumbnail locations to the project overview but I cant link it directly to an image as any image in the wiki must be in the wiki repository. So that would mean it would be a static version not updating. So if anyone knows how to insert an image on another website into a wiki then let me know and I can amend it.

ravells
07-06-2008, 06:31 PM
Hi Redrobes, I've merged the two threads together, which hopefully does the job.

I'm afraid I don't know enough about wikis and things to help with your second request :(

industrygothica
07-06-2008, 06:45 PM
Great stuff Ravs. Can you do me a favour ? I started a new thread for Crazy Krull Crossing with the intention of copying it all over and now there are two of them but one (the new one) has Map 7 (old one was Map 07). So can you take the new thread posts and tack on the end of the old thread and delete the new thread. Ta. BTW '07' is better than '7' for a naming convention.

Ill run my indexer as soon as I am back on my usual PC.

Also, for IndustryGothica I added the links to the map thumbnail locations to the project overview but I cant link it directly to an image as any image in the wiki must be in the wiki repository. So that would mean it would be a static version not updating. So if anyone knows how to insert an image on another website into a wiki then let me know and I can amend it.

That is most certainly good enough. Now if we could just figure out a way to slice it and link each section back to their original map. ;)

industrygothica
10-03-2010, 07:27 AM
Has any CL looked at the wiki lately? Try [Special Pages>New Pages] and check out all the spam that's going on there.

-IG

torstan
10-03-2010, 07:31 AM
Okay, that's fairly spectacular. I'll bring it to everyone's attention and get that sorted. Thanks for noticing it.

industrygothica
10-03-2010, 10:35 PM
Thank YOU for doing something about it. I thought about doing a little updating when I noticed that.. a bit disheartening, really.

-IG

selden
07-16-2011, 09:18 AM
Sadly the spamming continues. I suspect that the membership procedure needs to be revised. It might help, for example, if posting to the Wiki could be restricted to those with Forum memberships, but that may be impractical.

Robulous
02-22-2012, 09:06 AM
Hey - is this still going? I can't seem to even view the Wiki - I've clicked on the link which asks for a login - I've put in my forum username and password but it doesn't work.

Robbie
02-22-2012, 09:10 AM
We disabled it due to spam. It's also on my list to get it cleaned up, and get the software updated and maybe install some MediaWiki spam controls.

industrygothica
02-22-2012, 05:56 PM
We disabled it due to spam. It's also on my list to get it cleaned up, and get the software updated and maybe install some MediaWiki spam controls.

Thanks for that.

-IG

Dana
07-16-2012, 09:58 AM
How do you request a username and password?

Eilathen
12-06-2012, 07:16 AM
Is there a way for normal CG users to access the wiki? It asks for a username an PW but my usual information for the CG does not work. I'd like to take a look.

Redrobes
12-06-2012, 08:22 AM
I'm not sure its active any more. It got spammed up to high heaven and the forum spamming notification tools did not notice this since its an off forum area. So it died a death of apathy and dereliction. Theres been some rumblings about having a second tier of guild user membership that is somewhat more trusted to allow us to have wikis and so on such that spam bots could not get to a level whereby they could make a problem for it. Not sure what happened to that idea either tho. But I dont believe there is a username / pass combo that will let anyone in now.

Vellum
02-07-2013, 12:44 PM
too bad we can't see this anymore, I'd really like to see what all everyone has done. there have been some interesting and nice works here!!

mearrin69
02-07-2013, 12:57 PM
The CBBP in general has died off a bit (well, mostly, really). I myself only contributed two map items...and one of those took me two+ years to finish! I was thinking about looking at some more undeveloped cities and towns and picking one or two to work on just for practice. If there was more interest the project might get going again.

Maybe another land-grab? People seem to like doing the regional maps. I like town and battle maps myself. :)
M

Will Brawner
02-08-2013, 08:07 PM
Good idea! Let's start another land-grab. I'm game!

Redrobes
02-08-2013, 08:41 PM
Would anyone like to step up to the plate and decide and manage the new area. If nobody wants to then I would do this. I intend to maintain the CWBP overview map anyways. There is an official world view somewhere but I have a local copy which if I am allowed ill add in below.

Edit - sorry nope, im still not permitted to add attachments. I have FTP'ed it to web space but this image may not last indefinitely. Yeah maybe im not the best person to be handling the management of a new area...

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/Temp/CG/ThinkBig/Region/CWBPWorld_Jan2013.jpg

Personally, I think we should do an equivalent area immediately right of Ansium so it butts up against it.

mearrin69
02-08-2013, 09:27 PM
I wish I had the time and technical skills...but hopefully somebody does. Anyone? Bueller?

In any case, I think I will do what I can to keep activity up: I'll check the regions to see if there's a town needs doing this weekend.
M

Scream
02-24-2013, 02:18 PM
It says I need a user name and a password to continue, with no option to sign up. Am I missing something?

Vellum
02-24-2013, 02:51 PM
scream, for all practical purposes this is dead because of spam issues

Allerion
04-21-2013, 10:59 AM
A very interesting idea this cooperative world-building project. Keep up the good work.

Mandrake
06-10-2013, 01:00 PM
When I'l have the technical skills I'd like to get some northly land ...

But whitout access to the wiki that is , to the extent i understood, dead it is gonna be hard to make something consistant, lorewise anyway...

Azelor
12-06-2013, 05:33 PM
time travel: Main Page - CWBP (http://web.archive.org/web/20110924023135/http://cwbp.cartographersguild.com/index.php?title=Main_Page)

It's completely broken but parts of the wiki are accessible. That being said, I have no idea how much information is missing.

Rajalyoko23
04-01-2014, 03:47 AM
I cannot enter the wiki....

12rounds
04-01-2014, 08:52 AM
@Rajalyoko23 (http://www.cartographersguild.com/members/rajalyoko23.html) : No one can. It's been broken for years.