PDA

View Full Version : May 2012 Entry - Arixia

Sapiento
05-14-2012, 01:51 PM
Here's my entry.
A scanned DIN A4 (150 dpi), black pens and pencils on coffee/tea-stained paper. (And I feel my neck, too ;) )
As usual, the labels are my weak spot with hand drawn maps - I hope they are legible.
Regrettably the scan brightened the map somewhat, it's darker in its original state.

I've cut off the white borders from the scan process - is this within the limits of this month's rules?

### LATEST WIP ###

Gidde
05-14-2012, 02:22 PM
I can't see the map yet so commenting on that will have to wait till later; but in my humble opinion, cropping != processing. So I think your crop is ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bogie
05-14-2012, 08:57 PM
Very nice map. I like the Sword Compass.

Jaxilon
05-14-2012, 09:15 PM
Hehe, check out the blowfish!

Gidde
05-14-2012, 11:52 PM
Looks good! I don't think it's much too light, either.

Sapiento
05-15-2012, 05:12 AM
Thank you, guys.
I had initially thought on doing a map with some water colors, but in the end I decided for this one.

Jaxilon
05-15-2012, 11:08 AM
I want to do watercolors myself but I just can't seem to force myself to draw on that paper...it's like a piece of rough floor tile or something. Regular paper just starts warping :(

Sapiento
05-15-2012, 11:24 AM
I want to do watercolors myself but I just can't seem to force myself to draw on that paper...it's like a piece of rough floor tile or something. Regular paper just starts warping :(

I know. I also used standard paper as I had nothing else at hand. It started to warp, too, when I stained it with coffee and tea. Thicker paper would probably work better.

flocko
05-23-2012, 04:50 AM

Watercolor paper isn't always rough. There are two types cold press and hot press. Cold press is textured and hot press is super smooth. Another option is smooth bristol board. A 100lb sheet will handle light water coloring without significant warping.

Sapiento, That blowfish makes me happy. :D

Sapiento
05-24-2012, 02:48 AM
Thanks!

The map was a sudden idea and I started it without thinking long about the paper; so a rather more rushed attempt than carefully planned. Not the smartest way, I have to confess.

Jaxilon
05-24-2012, 03:08 AM
Thanks flacko I had no idea there was a smooth watercolor paper the only one I have seen is the rough stuff. It's ok but not fun to draw on. I'll go check my local store for the stuff.

@Sap - I think it's clear you are not the only one who charged into the battle freestyle :) At least we are having fun though!

Gidde
05-24-2012, 08:27 AM
Don't feel bad Jax; I've been looking for hot-pressed wc paper forever and it's never in the stores. so small wonder you never noticed it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk