PDA

View Full Version : May 2012 Entry: Gaelynta

Gidde
05-16-2012, 08:12 PM
Well, I don't have much yet, just a border and a compass rose, but it's getting to be late enough in the challenge that if I don't commit with a thread I'll wimp out ;)

So here's my entry so far. I'll scan it in once there's some actual map to show, but in the meantime I have a nice little shot of the drawing/painting table, and a close-up of the compass rose.

So far this is all dip pen and calligraphy ink, on watercolor paper; I'll be coloring in watercolors once I get the majority of the ink done.

Jaxilon
05-16-2012, 08:16 PM
Awesome - I can't wait to see more!

Makes me think we should have a water color challenge or something.

arsheesh
05-16-2012, 08:19 PM
Ooh, this looks promising! This is proving to be a great contest so far.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Bogie
05-16-2012, 09:34 PM
Go Gidde!!!!!

Gidde
05-16-2012, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the encouragement, guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gidde
05-17-2012, 06:58 PM
So, this doesn't count for the challenge at all, but I thought I'd post it to share the process. It's a value study for the swiss-style shading I'm hoping to pull off with the watercolors, done with the airbrush and smudge tools in gimp (because it's SOOO much faster than pencil for shading). Took about 2 hours, the first hour of which was just figuring out what I was doing.

RjBeals
05-17-2012, 07:35 PM
It sort of confuses my brain into thinking it's mountain ranges, yet rivers also.... - but very smooth shading there Gidde.

arsheesh
05-17-2012, 07:37 PM
Nice. I've been playing around with the shaded relief style myself. This looks pretty good though, especially for only 2 hours of work! That would have taken me substantially longer to achieve.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Gidde
05-17-2012, 09:16 PM
Thanks guys! And, it actually is rivers and mountains (although I'm pretty sure that's not what you meant) :)

After tonight's work, I have a scalebar, and a coastline, and penciled in rivers to do that shading by. Nowhere near this many rivers will get inked; they're just for me to be able to tell where the hills and valleys are. Unfortunately, I screwed up the "W" on my compass rose, but I don't think it's enough to start the whole thing over for ... I think I'm going to have to add an island up there so that it visually makes sense that the rose is so scrunched :(

On a happy note, after struggling all day yesterday with a pen that wouldn't release its ink onto the paper, I realized today that my ink was just too thick and today's inking went much smoother!

I'll properly scan this in tomorrow, but for now we have another iphone pic of the thing (and I finally have enough to give it the latest wip treatment):

### LATEST WIP ###

RjBeals
05-17-2012, 09:26 PM
love it - you have a way with lettering. I don't mind the "W" at all - looks fine to me.

Seraphine_Harmonium
05-17-2012, 09:36 PM
The w looks fine. I really like the calligraphy. Very classy looking. This is promising to be really good. I probably won't have a chance again :P

Gidde
05-17-2012, 09:43 PM
Thanks guys! I've been working hard on this alphabet; I'm probably going to make it my next font.

Kearnaun
05-20-2012, 10:48 AM
This looks amazing! The W on the compass rose itself is fine I think. A bit more space towards the borders might have been better, but there is certainly no reason to start over because of this. And looking at your entry I seriously need to break out my old pens again to practice with them. Both steady lines and caligraphy.

Gidde
05-20-2012, 11:05 PM
Thanks, Kearnaun!

I didn't get nearly as much done on this over the weekend as I wanted to :( I think the actual map will be winging it with the pen at this point, as time is REALLY getting short. I wanted to wait until tomorrow when I could scan it all in one piece, but I'm in a quandary so I'm posting now.

What I've done is titled the map (can't really call it a cartouche, since the words are just hanging out there) and colored in the compass rose, added in the island to cover up the rose misplacement, and got the color in on the sea. I may go over the sea again to darken it, if there's time before the challenge ends. The "foil" is really just gold calligraphy ink, and I manually embossed the title with a tracing stylus, so that it would pop a little better.

My quandary is this. I have these white spaces in the compass rose that for the life of me I can't figure what I should do with. The best I (and my husband) could come up with was to leave them white; we both thought any more gold or black (or blackened gold) would be too much, and I think a color would look strange at this point. What do you guys think? Does the white look unfinished?

### LATEST WIP ###

arsheesh
05-20-2012, 11:11 PM
Gidde, I like your compass!

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Bogie
05-21-2012, 01:09 AM
Excellent Work! I like the Rose, the white is okay with me, looks fine. If you did want to color the white spaces, maybe navy blue would look good.

Seraphine_Harmonium
05-21-2012, 01:20 AM
You could win this on compass and calligraphy alone

Sapiento
05-21-2012, 02:19 AM
Looks awesome even in this early stage!

Korash
05-21-2012, 02:17 PM
I do like what you did with the title. Looks more like embossed gold...

have you thought of giving the compass the same sort of treatment? not that it really needs it

looking good :)

flocko
05-21-2012, 07:02 PM
The white in the compass rose looks purposeful to me. I think it's really nice as it is.

Gidde
05-21-2012, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I think I will indeed leave the compass spaces white, unless something brilliant presents itself. I got a bit more done tonight, but nothing really worth scanning (lots of penciled plans for stuff). Update to come tomorrow once I get some more ink down :)

Gidde
05-22-2012, 10:36 PM
!$#$!@!$@!

Yeah. I just fubared the map. It started with an ink blot. Then in my inept efforts to mitigate the issue, I tore the paper. So, tomorrow I get to transfer all the work already done to a new sheet. ARGHH. At least this time around it should go faster; I have some lessons learned to apply. Wow, I am so disgusted with myself.

Posting a piece of the map (the torn part is off the edge here) to check on city symbols. They're done using a slightly modified version of DJ's castle tutorial on a miniature version of his iso grid. Look ok? Or since I have to reboot anyhow, should I go a different way with them? I don't like the ink shading; won't be doing that on the new copy (will do it with paint instead).

cereth
05-22-2012, 11:37 PM
Those symbols look fantastic...sorry to hear about the mishap.

Jaxilon
05-23-2012, 12:52 AM
I think they are great. So sorry about your ink blot fiasco. :(

I wish we were starting over myself because I would sure do some thing differently. It's not easy trying to watercolor on NON-watercolor paper. You have to be really careful and really dry or it's all over. I know I'm surfing disaster every time I work on this thing and I haven't even got to the grand finally which is where I could still totally screw up the whole thing. LOL, I hope I can make it. I will take a very deep breath once this is all over.

flocko
05-23-2012, 04:14 AM
Tough break. The castles look great though. At least you can un-squish the compass rose now.

arsheesh
05-23-2012, 08:27 PM
Sad, this had such promise. I hope things work out better with attempt # 2.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Lukc
05-24-2012, 04:00 AM
Looking good ... and so many entries this month, it's quite amazing!

Gidde
05-24-2012, 11:30 PM
Thanks for the encouragement and commiseration both, everyone ;)

@ Jax: I hear ya. I'm so completely paranoid now! lol.

Well, after the reboot, I finally have enough to post up again. It's actually arguably further along than I was, because I have a TON more stuff penciled in than I did before. Behind on ink, but that's the easy (sorta) part. Wow this is going to be cutting it close. At least, like Flocko said, I could unsquish the compass rose. I also fixed the pen-width:letter-size ratios a bit on the lettering I had done before. I added in a couple of houses to the minor city symbols too; I hope they look good because they ain't changin' now ;) I've already sworn to myself that if another pen pukes onto the paper the blot stays and I continue.

### LATEST WIP ###

Jaxilon
05-25-2012, 12:49 AM
Nice recovery!

Gidde
05-26-2012, 10:59 AM
Thanks, Jax! Work continues .... gotta take a break from the dip pen every so often because my hand starts shaking. About 1/2 of the way through the ink now, I think.

Gidde
05-26-2012, 04:42 PM
And done with the ink, I think. It still feels like there's something missing, but I'm trying to avoid going overboard on the ink and making it too crowded. We'll see how it looks after some paint goes on.

### LATEST WIP ###

Gidde
05-26-2012, 11:23 PM
First pass at color. Still have a LOT of shading work to do :(

### LATEST WIP ###

Jaxilon
05-27-2012, 12:21 AM
Looks great. I like the shadows of the city icons too :)

Gidde
05-28-2012, 02:40 AM
Thanks!

I think this is done. I could go on tweaking the shading for months, but I'm afraid I may jump the shark and start detracting instead of adding as I add more paint. So unless I see something glaring tomorrow morning that simply must be fixed, this is it.

### LATEST WIP ###

cereth
05-28-2012, 10:07 AM
Really, really nice...I love how the shading on the mountains and hills came out.

Gidde
05-28-2012, 01:38 PM
Thanks, Cereth!

Beoner
05-28-2012, 08:34 PM
Nice work on this one, I wish I could paint like you.

Also your writting is very beatiful. I agree with cereth, the shading on mountains and hills got very good too.

arsheesh
05-28-2012, 08:50 PM
Oh man, I thought I knew who I was voting for but now I'm really not sure at all. This is fantastic! Wonderful job on the calligraphy, and on the color choice, and shading.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Gidde
05-28-2012, 08:58 PM
Thanks Beoner! And thanks to you too Arsheesh, especially for mentioning the color (I was nervous about that). I'm trying to force myself to learn to mix color, so I own exactly three tubes of watercolor paint. And I'm a total noob at mixing it ;)