PDA

View Full Version : The EN World FREE Map Request Thread

jaerdaph
04-22-2008, 10:28 PM
If any Guild members what to practice their craft and help out their fellow gamer, I encourage you to visit The EN World FREE Map Request Thread (http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=221796).

Currently, there are some new map requests for battlemaps and cities.

I've done one map there already, and it was a great experience. I really enjoyed taking someone else's vision and bringing it to life. :) Plus, you get to try your hand at creating a map for something you have always wanted to experiment with but might not have a use for in your own games.

ravells
04-23-2008, 05:29 AM
It would be quite nice if they could come here!

jaerdaph
04-23-2008, 10:19 AM
It would be quite nice if they could come here!

I also referenced this Mapmaking Requests forum in that thread over at EN World. :)

pyrandon
04-23-2008, 05:08 PM
I'll attest that Jaerdaph is a huge Guild advocate over at EN World. Thanks, Jaerdaph! You help a lot of people, all the time.

Paragon
04-24-2008, 05:40 AM
This might not be the appropriate thread, but am I wrong to assume that most in the guild only do work they are paid for?

Or is it mostly city/battlegrid type maps that you are interested in doing? I've yet to receive a single offer/inquiry for drawing my world maps for my novel, which led me to speculate that the norm might be commissioning it.

I mean no disrespect with this question, but I am merely curious, as I'm very, very new to the world of artists :)

RobA
04-24-2008, 06:36 AM
While I would suspect that the (few) professionals here will only work for a commission, many of the hobbyists are not confident enough of themselves to commit to something as enthusiastic as a map for a novel. Or they are too busy :(

I would suggest pm'ing a few authors who have posted maps you specifically like, and make a more personal request, if the general one is not getting interest.

-Rob A>

Robbie
04-24-2008, 09:41 AM
I'm going to go with most of them being too busy...we're kinda double-booking all the regular contributers right now with the monthly contest and the CWBP.

Hussar
04-24-2008, 09:30 PM
I'd like to thank Jaerdaph for the plug. I've been a long time fan of the site, and lurker, but, my artistic talents are ... negli... negil...neglig... just damn bad. :)

If anyone is interested, I'd love to see some battle scale maps of a jungle beach.

RPMiller
04-25-2008, 11:09 AM
Would something like this work?

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1879

Hussar
04-25-2008, 11:41 AM
Yes. Although, not quite for my original plan. :) However, as a Scarlet Brotherhood encampment, it's perfect.

torstan
04-25-2008, 04:54 PM
Glad it was useful. Are you using this in a face to face game, or using a VTT?

Hussar
04-26-2008, 11:12 AM
VTT. Been using OpenRPG for years now. My group is wrapping up their current campaign in a month or two and I get a swing at the plate with the Savage Tide AP. STAP's great, and the web enhancements are jammy for running online, but, they're a bit shy with some basic battlemaps for anything that's extra.

torstan
04-28-2008, 07:53 AM
Fair enough. This one was done for use within maptool, another VTT. I have to say I prefer it as they have a lot of vision and light built in now, so my party had a lot of fun running through the forest and hiding behind trees to avoid being shot by guards. I don't know how well OpenRPG handles that sort of stuff, but here's a screenshot of this map in use:

This is the GM view. The players can't see the area that is shown here in darker grey. On mouse-over you get an idea of what Magnus can see, and if there is an enemy behind a tree he won't see them. Equally, it makes figuring out degrees of cover really easy.

Hussar
04-30-2008, 06:27 AM
How does Maptool handle chat and die rollers though? Within the same program or do I need to have several programs running concurrently? The reason I ask is some of my players are running machines that are ... somewhat past their prime. :) Open has some bugs, and it's nowhere near as pretty as what you've just posted,but, it's also very robust. And it now handles sound files. :)

torstan
04-30-2008, 07:30 AM
No, maptool has a well developed set of chat and dice functions built in. There are dockable windows for the chat stuff and you can have preprogrammed macros on your tokens to speed up play. We usually have a full set of skill checks, saves and attacks built into the token. The dice stuff can handle most systems as well, and more get added whenever anyone needs to play a particularly bizarre system. At the moment they are also implementing a system for card decks. It doesn't have sound yet.

If you want to see some reviews of Open vs maptool, there is an interesting post here: http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?t=3904

As for older computers, people generally need around 256MB of RAM to run it and ideally avoid diallup connections if you are GMing. I know people run on less than these, but I'd say that's a rough minimum spec to run and have it look pretty.

RPMiller
04-30-2008, 11:37 AM
I see torstan has this well answered. :D Just as an alternative another excellent VTT is Battlegrounds. It isn't free though, but has an incredibly rich set of features.

If you are interested in at least looking at it you can go here: http://www.battlegroundsgames.com/

I'm not sure what the system requirements and such are though.