PDA

View Full Version : Middle Earth, by JRR Tolkien

Saule
05-25-2012, 07:29 AM
I've decided it's finished. I've been working on this for quite a while, and pretty happy with the result. My own version of Middle Earth:

Just realized I forgot to give Ramah credit for the base icons of the towns and the trees, I used his black and white icons and coloured them myself. I also placed the trees with his Tree Thing, which saved me a lot of work, so credit to Ramah for that as well ;).

Redrobes
05-25-2012, 09:23 AM
Very nice & repped !

letsgoheat
05-25-2012, 01:45 PM
Nice! Really like the mountains. Did you draw them yourself or were they brushes? And how'd you do the trees?

Saule
05-25-2012, 03:50 PM
Thanks :). I drew base of the mountains myself, then made them into different sizes and used those as 'brushes', in the way that I copy - pasted them into mountain ranges ;). The trees are from a base by Ramah (forgot to put that in the first post, I'll add that in a moment), coloured by myself and then placed with Ramah's 'Tree Thing'.

Veldehar
05-30-2012, 09:24 AM
Turned out great! A map to be proud of.

jfrazierjr
05-30-2012, 10:00 AM
Looks pretty good.... A few things for your next project(I am assuming you won't go back and change this one). Make sure your line styles are consistent, specifically, the hills have a outline stroke roughly double(or perhaps more) that of the mountains, so it looks a bit odd(and it may take people several looks to realize "why"... especially since I did not catch it until now!!!!). EDIT:hmm.. actually... it looks like it's not even consistent with the mountains... some are a quite thin line and some are noticeably thicker lines, likely because of drawing at different times over the course of months(I have this exact same issue too unfortunately since I don't get to map very often... so at least from me, it's totally understandable.)

Also, pay attention to all of your element's shadows(this I would actually suggest going back and fixing). Specifically, the mountains and most elements have light from the East and shadows on the West, but a few towns have them reversed(specifically Minas Tirith, Osgiliath, and Felargir... there are likely more, but I stopped looking).

I would also suggest scaling down the brush size for your swamp area's. The currently are as big as the trees(unless those are some REALLY tall reeds!)... This is not really a huge issue, just something to think about for the next time.

On a side note, one thing I LOVE for helping to blend elements (mountains and hills mostly) into the underlying ground is the smudge tool. Not just for the colors, but also for the line work. This is especially useful if you have a tablet and tie the pen pressure to "rate" so that you get a gentle transition... it's also good for hills(with a fairly low rate and zoomed WAAAAY in) to draw down a bit of the black line color into the "shadow side" for a bit of extra "umph".

In any event, good stuff and congrats on actually finishing it(I am still trying to get back to a map I started 3 years ago)... Sorry I did not mention this stuff in the WIP...

waldronate
05-30-2012, 10:38 AM
The stylistic elements of the map are very nice. It's a well-done map that shows a lot of care.

The spelling on the labels is a little off in places and there's a semi-consistent use of "elvishname of mannishname" rather than "elvishname or mannishname" and the greyflood river didn't get translated into english from your original source material. I'm a fine one to talk, about spelling and labels, though, as that's the part I tend to leave off my work.

Saule
05-30-2012, 10:48 AM
Thanks everyone for the comments :).

The lines actually happened because I used the same mountains in different sizes, but that is something to be less lazy about next time ;). The towns I might go back to, but I'll have to see how since I used base Icons for this. The reeds were actually just as big as in the base map, not fully in scale, but I think I'll keep them as they are since they would be invisible if they were small enough ;)

As for the labels, thanks for pointing out the Greyflood, I thought I'd translated them all, but I see I missed that one. The placing of the labels and choice for the elfish/man name is actually not my own, but taken from my base map, which was a Dutch translation from the original map by Christopher Tolkien (http://www.quezon.ph/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/maps-middle-earth-01.jpg)

Here's the version with the correct labels (I hope ;) )

hydewire
10-28-2014, 05:29 AM
Hi Would love to get in touch regarding possible usage in a board game. my e-mail is hydewire@gmail.com

Midgardsormr
10-29-2014, 07:09 PM
hydewire: You should be aware that the Tolkien Estate is rather aggressive with regard to its intellectual property enforcement. If you are looking to release a board game based in Middle Earth, make sure you address the licensing before spending any money on assets.

Deadshade
10-29-2014, 08:01 PM
hydewire: You should be aware that the Tolkien Estate is rather aggressive with regard to its intellectual property enforcement. If you are looking to release a board game based in Middle Earth, make sure you address the licensing before spending any money on assets.

Good information !
Btw I have toyed (and still do) with the idea to create a realistic Middle Earth planet. So not only the known part like Eriador etc but the whole planet.
Do you think that creating such a realistic style planet would fall Under copyright too ?

- Max -
10-29-2014, 08:30 PM
Of course it will, J.R.R Tolkien's creation, including all the lore he developed isn't in public domain and not free to use.

Midgardsormr
10-29-2014, 08:55 PM
Someone did apparently persuade them that it wasn't worthwhile to go after noncommercial fan art/fiction, so things like the Middle Earth DEM project appear to be safe. As far as I am aware, though, Tolkien Enterprises has not published any sort of official fan art policy, so in a technical legal sense, it's all against the law.

And since we're here, licensing information is available here: // Middle-earth Enterprises // (http://www.middleearth.com/licensing_procedures.html)

waldronate
10-29-2014, 09:38 PM
Middle-Earth DEM Project (http://www.me-dem.org/)

Redrobes
10-30-2014, 08:42 AM
Could I offer the newer web site for MeDem. The old one had the forum but it basically broke after we had no admin support for a long time and then we got a new domain and put the new work there.

MeDEM - The Middle Earth Digital Elevation Model Project (http://me-dem.me.uk/)

The galleries are in much better shape there. I would suggest the Outerra Biomes pages for the latest pics.

If DeadShade wants to play in the MeDem world then head over to

Outerra (http://www.outerra.com)

to grab the engine and datasets.

I agree that at any time MeDem could be hit with the C&Ds and we would pull it. But its a free, non commercial, no ads, no funding whatsoever little project. Obviously any fan who does anything in ME runs the risk. But a board game for sale would almost certainly need some kind of licensing.

There is a new forum for content creation within the DEM for the world.

Outerra Worlds Forums - Index (http://worlds.outercraft.com/forum/)

But that hasnt seen much activity for a while since Monks and I are not currently working on it.

Deadshade
10-30-2014, 09:02 AM
If DeadShade wants to play in the MeDem world then head over to

Outerra (http://www.outerra.com)

to grab the engine and datasets.

Ah well this looks like a dream ! That's exactly the kind of things I would like to do .
Unfortunately it also looks like a full time job ;)
But many thanks for the information , I ignored all about Outerra. Perhaps one day ...