PDA

View Full Version : [Region 1][Map 25] - The Witchlight Strand

ravells
04-24-2008, 07:19 PM
IG, Here is the area as a .psd file. You'll find the coastline in black and white and a bump map (on a separate layer), both of which I made from Fractal Terrains. We'll be using these to make the map of the region. Feel free to experiment with what you have so far! Play is the essence of learning software, so just spend time playing with the maps, drawing stuff on top etc.

industrygothica
04-24-2008, 09:20 PM
IG, Here is the area as a .psd file. You'll find the coastline in black and white and a bump map (on a separate layer), both of which I made from Fractal Terrains. We'll be using these to make the map of the region. Feel free to experiment with what you have so far! Play is the essence of learning software, so just spend time playing with the maps, drawing stuff on top etc.

Absolutely perfect. Thank you!

industrygothica
04-25-2008, 07:47 AM
And here I am after a bit of fiddling... There's a weird thing going on on the coast that I'm not too crazy about.

Color's off somewhere; the whole thing's a bit greener than I hoped. It's all a nice earthy brown in PS, but gets sickly when I save the png. Any ideas?

ravells
04-25-2008, 08:09 AM
Hey, it's looking good!

Hmm are you working in RGB or CMYK, that's the only thing I can think of. I think (sorry don't have PS in front of me now) you should check Image/Mode/ and see which is ticked. Make sure you're in RGB and 16 million colours (or n million anyway, not sure if it's 16).

The other (unlikely) possibility is that you might only be saving some layers and not others into the PNG? Are all your layers visible when you save?

Could you post a copy of the .psd file and I'll take a look at it.

Oh, and tell me if you have a name for the area and I'll amend the thread title.

industrygothica
04-25-2008, 09:04 AM
It's not just the map that's get screwy colors... actually, everything I do comes out that way--considerably darker than what's in PS. Quite strange, really. Here's the .psd:

Actually, maybe not. The file is too big.

ravells
04-25-2008, 09:11 AM
Have a look here. (http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00BgQN)and here. (http://www.techimo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136177&page=1&pp=20)

It may help?

industrygothica
04-25-2008, 10:07 AM
Well, that worked famously!

But, of course instead of making the .png the nice brown it's supposed to be, it made the .psd the sickly green. But hey, at least they match!

Luckily I remember what I did, mostly... so I can start again and not take too much time with it.

Thank you!

industrygothica
04-25-2008, 10:59 AM
Here it is again.

ravells
04-25-2008, 11:10 AM
Wow...I don't know if it's just me but that image looks like one of those hologram pictures where the sea is way behind the land. I keep moving my head from left to right to see if there's a parallax effect!

Anyway, I'm glad you got the problem sorted. It's a shame those psd files get so big, it would have been helpful for me to work off the ones you were using. Nevermind, if my wife doesn't corner me for chores tonight, we can start working on the rivers.

By the way, do you have a tablet and pen?

industrygothica
04-25-2008, 11:17 AM
I don't have a tablet. I'll be hitting my wife up for one soon enough, without a doubt.

I can send you the psd through email if you'd like.

ravells
04-25-2008, 11:24 AM
A tablet makes life much easier.

That would be great. Could you email it to: ravifelicity at blueyonder.co.uk

Cheers!

industrygothica
04-25-2008, 11:39 AM
Sending now..

ravells
04-25-2008, 03:59 PM
Hi IG,

I've followed this tutorial (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1139) to do the landscaping.

The steps I took were:

1. Making a duplicate of the bump map and using the Image/levels adjustment to blow up the whites a bit.

2. (using the tutorial) Make your colour background by setting colours to your altitudes (white is high) by using a gradient map adjustment layer on the bump map which you've just adjusted.

3. (using the tutorial) Make your relief shading by making a new layer and copying your adjusted bump map to it and then using the 'render / lighting' filter. Make sure that layer is on top of your height colour layer and then multiply it and bring the opacity down to about 75%.

The great thing about this method is that because your colour map is on an adjustment layer you can fiddle with the colours to your heart's content.

.psd file back on its way to you but here is a jpg of the result.

industrygothica
04-25-2008, 05:11 PM
I tried this a couple of times. It worked well the first time, not so much on the others. I'll get it, though - not worried about that.

What's got me a bit concerned is that mine still looks hard and chiseled, while yours is a bit softer. I've got what look like cliffs near the coast, and can't seem to get rid of them.

ravells
04-25-2008, 05:20 PM
Did you try doing the a small 1 px gaussian blur on the heightmap? I blurred it about 3 times (sorry forgot to mention) following the tutorial.

industrygothica
04-25-2008, 06:09 PM
That helped some, though it still looks a bit different.

ravells
04-25-2008, 06:39 PM
you can play with the colours on the gradient map, but it's looking pretty good to me.

industrygothica
04-25-2008, 07:18 PM
I think I like this one better. I fixed up the water and changed the gradient a little. It's all starting to look a bit like a jungle to me.

ravells
04-25-2008, 07:21 PM
Once you start slapping the other stuff on top the topographical details shouldn't matter so much. This is the first time I've used the tutorial but I think one gets a better mountain effect using bryce .... still it looks good enough and we should go on to the river stage next or we'll be fiddling with this until the Centaurs come home. I hope at least you're getting a better feel for what photoshop can do.

p.s. the rivers are going to be tough without a tablet

industrygothica
04-25-2008, 07:33 PM
I think I've got the hang of it so far.

I guess I didn't tell you: I knew you used Bryce, so I downloaded 5.5 the other day. I have no earthly clue how to use it, but it's yet one more tool at our disposal if you're up to it.

ravells
04-25-2008, 08:37 PM
I've got a better idea...why don't you come over to my house for a weekend?

Redrobes
04-25-2008, 09:04 PM
Your maps coming along in leaps and bounds. I think the water is a little light like clouds. It would be perfect for a floating citadel tho so save it for later ! The ground looks great. Your half way there already.

industrygothica
04-25-2008, 11:03 PM
I've always wanted to visit London. Sure is a long way from Texas though.

Redrobes: Thanks. I've got a good teacher.

ravells
04-26-2008, 07:39 AM
Hmm in the cold light of day the mountains look a bit lumpy and undefined using that PS tutorial and the heightmap. What I've done is to use Handsome Rob's technique (see his tutorial in the tutorial section) and done a straight relief render from FT. Attached is the png of the render and what it looks like.

Put the render on the top, use the paintbrush to select the black sea (make sure contiguous is unchecked) and delete. Set the layer to multiply. See if you prefer this one.

industrygothica
04-26-2008, 09:52 AM
Here are two variations of that. The first seems a little too rough for me, so I tried something a little different and came up with the second.

Redrobes
04-26-2008, 10:21 AM
Lookin good 8)
I have added it to the overall map which ill inline here for your convenience. Click on it for big version.

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/Temp/CG/ThinkBig/Region/MappedTiles_TN.png (http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/Temp/CG/ThinkBig/Region/MappedTiles.png)

industrygothica
04-26-2008, 10:46 AM
Thanks. It seems to line up fairly well.

Also, I'm having a bit of trouble orienting myself on the climate map (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showpost.php?p=16150&postcount=1); I would fall in the temperate grasslands area, no?

Thanks again.

-IG

ravells
04-26-2008, 11:49 AM
The great thing about having the relief shading as a separate layer is that you can apply a layer mask to it and just erase the bits you don't want (I did that with the Beastlands map as my relief map was also too busy). Do you know how to do layer masking? it's pretty essential stuff. Tell me when you're happy with the relief and we can then move onto the rivers.

ravells
04-26-2008, 11:51 AM
Without Redrobes' overall composite this project would be half of what it was. It's really great to see it coming together like a gigantic jigsaw puzzle.

ravells
04-26-2008, 12:29 PM
p.s. IG email me your current .psd when you're ready to move onto the next stage. Cheers
Ravs

industrygothica
04-26-2008, 12:46 PM
The great thing about having the relief shading as a separate layer is that you can apply a layer mask to it and just erase the bits you don't want (I did that with the Beastlands map as my relief map was also too busy). Do you know how to do layer masking? it's pretty essential stuff. Tell me when you're happy with the relief and we can then move onto the rivers.

I know enough about layer masks to get buy. Trouble is I always forget about them and opt for the more permanent path, as in the image above. Luckily I saved a previous version, and went back to that one and added the mask.

Here's the outcome. I think I'm happy enough with this one to move on to the next step.

ravells
04-26-2008, 12:52 PM
Yeah, I always use the eraser too....and then curse myself afterwards! OK, let's move onto rivers next. As you don't have a tablet we can try using the pen tool. I'll post something up later tonight but I've got to help a friend install her ipod right now and Dr Who is on in a few mins :)

Redrobes
04-26-2008, 04:55 PM
The great thing about having the relief shading as a separate layer is that you can apply a layer mask to it and just erase the bits you don't want.One thing that I have been doing recently is keeping the light map layer as a multiplicative layer and not merging it all into one. So when you put stuff into shadow zones they get shadowed for you.

ravells
04-27-2008, 02:51 PM
Hi IG

As promised, here is the river layer tutorial on how to draw a river with a mouse. Sorry about the quality of the tutorial, but if anything is unclear, please feel free to ask. Also, I'm hoping RobA will pitch in as he is the master of drawing rivers. I have (rather badly) tried to copy the effect he did in his challenge here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=628). Which in my opinion is as good as rivers get for this sort of map.

industrygothica
04-27-2008, 06:12 PM
Excellent. I've got a few minutes before work so I'll see if I can't get something started.

Thanks again.

ravells
04-27-2008, 06:21 PM
Excellent, can't wait to see how it turns out. Do check out RobA's challenge thread linked above. It's a masterclass in river drawing. If you can master his technique of getting that subtle embossed effect he's got you'll end up with rivers of beauty.

Midgardsormr
04-27-2008, 07:04 PM
Excellent mini-tutorial, ravs. Somebody rep him for me!

industrygothica
04-28-2008, 05:38 AM
So I'm envisioning an open grassland. There are a few port cities dotted around the coast, and probably a good-sized halfling settlement somewhere in the middle close an intersection of rivers.

Gnolls and orcs battle for control of the Bone Mountains in the north, the littered carcasses of the defeated earning the region's name.

The Badlands to the south won't be nearly as hospitable, home to goblinoids who constantly patrol the region for anything worth taking. In ages past the goblins and halflings probably were engaged in a lengthy war, the aftershocks of which are still felt to this day.

Ideas or input is appreciated.

-IG

ravells
04-28-2008, 07:10 AM
With the Rivers, IG, I just put them in at random by way of example. There is an image of the area (http://www.cartographersguild.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2999&d=1207000874)with rivers from one of Neon's posts which I think we're expected to follow so that the rivers are consistent from region to region - apologies if you already knew this.

Actually, by some weird coincidence, my example rivers are not far off the the ones in Neon's map.

I like the idea of organised communities of orcs/gnolls/goblins etc fighting each other.

industrygothica
04-28-2008, 07:20 AM
With the Rivers, IG, I just put them in at random by way of example. There is an image of the area (http://www.cartographersguild.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2999&d=1207000874)with rivers from one of Neon's posts which I think we're expected to follow so that the rivers are consistent from region to region - apologies if you already knew this.

Actually, by some weird coincidence, my example rivers are not far off the the ones in Neon's map.

I like the idea of organised communities of orcs/gnolls/goblins etc fighting each other.

Thanks. I'd seen the map, but didn't pay it much attention since I wasn't mapping anything. I had some rivers roughly drawn out on paper but haven't done anything in PS yet, so that's good. I appreciate the heads up, because I surely wouldn't have followed it otherwise.

-IG

RobA
04-28-2008, 10:32 AM
Just remember - the steeper the slope the straighter the river. The flatter the terrain, the more meandering.

(Of course there's that whole terrain geology thing that messes up that generalization, but it works at large scales)

-Rob A>

industrygothica
04-28-2008, 06:05 PM
Just remember - the steeper the slope the straighter the river. The flatter the terrain, the more meandering.

(Of course there's that whole terrain geology thing that messes up that generalization, but it works at large scales)

-Rob A>

That's handy information to know, actually. Thank you.

ravells
04-28-2008, 06:11 PM
Just call him 'Old man River' well...'Old man river, Gimp, icon master generally brilliant chap at whatever he puts his mind to'...but that's too long.

waldronate
04-28-2008, 08:53 PM

-Rob A>

River rule of thumb #2: Rivers cross contour lines at right angles. That is, rivers take the path of steepest descent. Maintained canals can cross at other angles. Unmaintained canals become either marshes/open land or rivers, depending on how they were unmaintained.

RobA
04-28-2008, 09:55 PM
Oh yeah, the old "Rivers flow downhill" rule :P

-Rob A>

industrygothica
04-28-2008, 10:00 PM
Oh yeah, the old "Rivers flow downhill" rule :P

-Rob A>

That was actually one of the first lessons I learned when I was lurking this site. Before, I always drew my rivers from the oceans and forked them off from there, thinking that was the natural flow of things.

Of course I felt like an idiot afterwards, but...

industrygothica
04-29-2008, 10:33 AM
Gah! I think I'll only be doing deserts from now on. Geez!

ravells
04-29-2008, 02:49 PM
They look good. Only suggestion is that the split and reform of the river in the north looks a little odd. What do you want to cover next? Forests?

ravells
04-29-2008, 05:47 PM
Actually before you finalise the rivers, you might just want to take a look at the next step I was thinking of (if you want your map to go this way). It involves using Bryce to get this sort of effect. I like it because you can get the forests (and rivers) to fold into the contours of the land and they look more convincing. Once you see the Bryce render it may affect how and where you draw the forests and rivers.

It might be worth doing the Bryce step before the rivers and forest so you have a better idea of the terrain slopes - but it's entirely up to you. We don't have to use Bryce at all and go for a different look.

industrygothica
04-29-2008, 06:34 PM
I wouldn't mind learning a little Bryce.

Airith
04-30-2008, 02:07 AM
hey IG, thought I'd finally post something to my neighbors. Anyways, I'm just to the north of you, although different region (me-orvaelos, you-bruskos). I don't know if I went too far south with my map, so hopefully you can make the call on that. Is there anything you want to discuss about our regions?

and your map is looking really good, the mountains seem very realistic xD

industrygothica
04-30-2008, 09:14 AM
hey IG, thought I'd finally post something to my neighbors. Anyways, I'm just to the north of you, although different region (me-orvaelos, you-bruskos). I don't know if I went too far south with my map, so hopefully you can make the call on that. Is there anything you want to discuss about our regions?

and your map is looking really good, the mountains seem very realistic xD

There is a small bowl-shaped region in the north, right at the southern tip of that river that we share. I thought of having that area as home to an orc tribe or a band of gnolls, whichever currently has control of the region. I think that there is probably a constant war going on up there between to two, so that could possibly spill over into your area as well if you want it to.

Sigurd
04-30-2008, 02:51 PM
Hey IG,

I'm enjoying the overview. Its coming along really well. This is a good exercise, good tips!

Barring good suggestions, I think area 30 is done for now. I've got a history and backstory that shouldn't interfere with any neighbors but you are welcome to draw on it if you wish.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1918

Give me a shout if you want.

ravells
04-30-2008, 06:23 PM
Hi IG,

Here is part 1 of the Bryce Tutorial. Part 2 to follow tomorrow or the day after.

Ravs

Airith
04-30-2008, 07:08 PM
There is a small bowl-shaped region in the north, right at the southern tip of that river that we share. I thought of having that area as home to an orc tribe or a band of gnolls, whichever currently has control of the region. I think that there is probably a constant war going on up there between to two, so that could possibly spill over into your area as well if you want it to.

I'm not quite sure, do you mean the bowl-shaped inlet place? Like almost right on your border? I think I know which place you speak of... and sure it'll spill into my area but it is a border. I kept the area around my border rather bare, other then a castle (it's a border) and one city, should I keep them? As to who controls it, I'd rather have gnolls then a whole orc tribe. :P

ravells
05-01-2008, 04:44 PM
Arrrgh! sorry part 2 delayed. I had just about finished it and PSP crashed so I've lost most of the tutorial and about 3 hours work. (sigh).

industrygothica
05-01-2008, 10:13 PM
Arrrgh! sorry part 2 delayed. I had just about finished it and PSP crashed so I've lost most of the tutorial and about 3 hours work. (sigh).

Ack.. that sucks. I'm in no hurry though, I'm just now getting on to start the first part. Been wrapped up in building a website the last couple of days.

industrygothica
05-04-2008, 09:47 PM
So part one turned out fairly well, whenever you're ready to move on. Not much to post in the way of a WIP, so I won't bother.

Thanks again.

industrygothica
05-25-2008, 06:02 AM
So after quite a lengthy absence I think I'm back and ready to get back to work on this thing. Ravells, you still with me?

ravells
05-25-2008, 01:58 PM
Yep, I know I owe you part two on that tutorial - been working on the june zine, but now you're back I'll have a stab at finishing it tonight.

Welcome back!

Cheers

Ravs

industrygothica
05-26-2008, 01:22 AM
Yep, I know I owe you part two on that tutorial - been working on the june zine, but now you're back I'll have a stab at finishing it tonight.

Welcome back!

Cheers

Ravs

Great. Don't rush yourself though--I'm in no hurry.

ravells
05-27-2008, 06:58 PM
Hi, here are the next two panels. More to come.

Ravs

industrygothica
06-21-2008, 02:47 AM
Seems rpgmapmaker's custom mountain brushes (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showpost.php?p=20044&postcount=1) got me off my rear and back into this project.

Now my only dilemma is which one to continue with... This one is obviously nowhere near finished, but I think I like where it's going... if I can only get there.

I'll take any advice you've got, but keep in mind that this is really my first world map, so be gentle. ;)

industrygothica
06-24-2008, 09:24 AM
Just playing with styles a bit...

industrygothica
06-24-2008, 09:51 AM
Another quick update. It's coming along, I think, though I need to get back to Rav's tutorial...

ravells
06-24-2008, 10:01 AM
You don't have to get back to my tutorial...I think that your latest post looks way better and more individual than a Bryce conversion.

SeerBlue
06-24-2008, 11:04 AM
I would have to agree with Ravells, there is something about the last image that catches the eye more than the others, perhaps the fact I grew up watching Gilligans Island so my brain "knows" coast lines need shallows and waves and the lines along the landmass in the last work quite well at conveying both.
SeerBlue

jfrazierjr
06-24-2008, 12:31 PM
I think I like the former one a bit more. With the color scheme (which I REALLY like btw), I would think that a lite woodblock effect might blend in better along the coast. The bevel is nice though.

Joe

industrygothica
06-24-2008, 06:44 PM
I appreciate the feedback. I guess the trees are the next thing.

I think I like the former one a bit more. With the color scheme (which I REALLY like btw), I would think that a lite woodblock effect might blend in better along the coast. The bevel is nice though.

I'm not too familiar with technical terms, but if you mean what I think you do by a woodblock effect, that's originally what I was going for--turns out I just don't know how to do it, so this was the next best thing.

jfrazierjr
06-24-2008, 08:12 PM
I appreciate the feedback. I guess the trees are the next thing.

I'm not too familiar with technical terms, but if you mean what I think you do by a woodblock effect, that's originally what I was going for--turns out I just don't know how to do it, so this was the next best thing.

Here you go:http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=547&highlight=tutorial+woodcut

I think this is for Photoshop, but I expect its easy enough to do in GIMP, though I have not tried it yet.

Joe

RobA
06-26-2008, 09:13 AM
Joe-

Later in the post you linked I show a way to do it in GIMP using the newsprint filter.

-Rob A>

industrygothica
06-26-2008, 12:09 PM
Here it is with the woodcutting.

I showed the map to my wife. She said it'd look really good when the mountains were done. I thought they were done, but to make her happy I played with them a bit as well.

She was right, of course...

ravells
06-26-2008, 12:10 PM
This looks so good! Reminds me of those sepia maps you can buy that come in those little red covers - do you know tha ones I mean?

torstan
06-26-2008, 12:15 PM
That's very pretty indeed.

A nitpicky point - the light on your mountains comes from the NE whereas the light for your land/sea edges comes from the NW. Also, you have very bright edges on the land/sea highlights, much brighter than on the mountains. That seems a little backwards. I'd tone down the land/sea highlights to blend into the map style more.

jfrazierjr
06-26-2008, 12:31 PM
That's very pretty indeed.

A nitpicky point - the light on your mountains comes from the NE whereas the light for your land/sea edges comes from the NW. Also, you have very bright edges on the land/sea highlights, much brighter than on the mountains. That seems a little backwards. I'd tone down the land/sea highlights to blend into the map style more.

Agreed. I like this version much better. As Torstan said, perhaps you can run a slight blur on the woodcut effect to make them still there, but not stand out so much. Though not bad by any means, it seems to be a bit more out of place, especially with the fuzziness of the ocean texture right next to it.

I like the difference in the mountains also... very nice.

Joe

RobA
06-26-2008, 12:48 PM
More nitpicking - I think the sea is too blurred. It jars with the rest of the map. Maybe add some light noise over top the water to put some detail back in.

-Rob A>

torstan
06-26-2008, 02:22 PM
My guess is that you applied a bump map directly to the land lair to get the highlights around the coast? If so, try this instead. Apply the same bump map, but to a 50% grey lair instead. Then set that layer to overlay. That should lighten the relevant areas of the map and you can play with opacity to get a highlight that fits with the rest of the style. It should blend in a little better this way.

RobA
06-26-2008, 02:50 PM
Apply the same bump map, but to a 50% grey lair instead. Then set that layer to overlay. That should lighten the relevant areas of the map and you can play with opacity to get a highlight that fits with the rest of the style. It should blend in a little better this way.

Good technique ;)

-Rob A>

industrygothica
06-26-2008, 03:35 PM
This looks so good! Reminds me of those sepia maps you can buy that come in those little red covers - do you know tha ones I mean?

Actually, no. I have no clue what you're talking about. :?

Thanks for all the tips! I knew you guys wouldn't let me come out of this with too terrible a map.

industrygothica
06-27-2008, 12:06 AM
Here's another update with my attempt at trees and a nifty little gorge in the badlands.

I guess it's about time to research what my neighbors have done and start working on a history--I haven't even thought about it, really.

Ascension
06-27-2008, 02:01 AM
Lookin most excellent, except the trees look kinda flat. But, like I said, lookin good.

torstan
06-27-2008, 04:48 AM
Good job with the lighting on the land - that looks much better. Unfortunately now the directional lighting jars with the shadow that surrounds all of the forest. I have to say I'm not too keen on those trees. With your hand drawn mountains it would be best to also have some hand drawn trees.

industrygothica
06-27-2008, 07:55 AM
Shortly after I posted that I found this forest brush (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showpost.php?p=24280&postcount=6) posted by The-Somberlain.

I think I'm still going to try something else, but here's what I have for now...

torstan
06-27-2008, 08:51 AM
That's a definite improvement. Nice work. I also like the rift.

jfrazierjr
06-27-2008, 09:24 AM
Shortly after I posted that I found this forest brush (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showpost.php?p=24280&postcount=6) posted by The-Somberlain.

I think I'm still going to try something else, but here's what I have for now...

Tree trunks!!!!! Good work! very purddy.... I too really like your scar... ummm... err.. the scar on your map that is.... I have no idea if you yourself have a scar... if you do, please don't tell us about it...

May want to spend a bit of time giving the tree trunks a bit if manual love though. They are rather sharp and given the rest of the maps tone, they stand out as being a bit blocky. *shocK*: I would say using the smudge tool to sweep the bottom out in small flares to the left down and right down positions like roots and then touch up with a tiny smudge on the bases, but that's just me.

Joe

industrygothica
06-27-2008, 10:42 AM
Tree trunks!!!!! Good work! very purddy.... I too really like your scar... ummm... err.. the scar on your map that is.... I have no idea if you yourself have a scar... if you do, please don't tell us about it...

May want to spend a bit of time giving the tree trunks a bit if manual love though. They are rather sharp and given the rest of the maps tone, they stand out as being a bit blocky. *shocK*: I would say using the smudge tool to sweep the bottom out in small flares to the left down and right down positions like roots and then touch up with a tiny smudge on the bases, but that's just me.

Joe

While I'm resisting the urge to comment on giving the trunks some manual love, I'll post this update... ;)

jfrazierjr
06-27-2008, 11:35 AM
While I'm resisting the urge to comment on giving the trunks some manual love, I'll post this update... ;)

Umm.. it might be me, but perhaps you gave those tree trunks way to much manual love....:? Them tree trunks is gone....:((

Joe

industrygothica
06-27-2008, 12:26 PM
This is with the original tree trunks (I redid them in the last post), but with the opacity reduced and a slight blur... I think it helps a little.

rpgmapmaker
06-27-2008, 07:02 PM
WOW!!! :D

It is sooooo cool to see the mountain brushes work on a real map! Thank you for using them. I will make more mountain brushes before long to give mappers more options when building a range. (really like)

I really like this style of map and love the gorge near the middle. I think your trees are coming along nicely too.

my only "negative" comment would be about the sharpness of the coastline as compared to the woodcut water affect. I think it is because of the bevel you have on the land layer... have you considered manually making a drop shadow out of a duplicated land layer? Overall ... wow cool map keep it up.

Thanks again :D
-Chris

industrygothica
06-27-2008, 07:35 PM
WOW!!! :D

It is sooooo cool to see the mountain brushes work on a real map! Thank you for using them. I will make more mountain brushes before long to give mappers more options when building a range. (really like)

I really like this style of map and love the gorge near the middle. I think your trees are coming along nicely too.

my only "negative" comment would be about the sharpness of the coastline as compared to the woodcut water affect. I think it is because of the bevel you have on the land layer... have you considered manually making a drop shadow out of a duplicated land layer? Overall ... wow cool map keep it up.

Thanks again :D
-Chris

Glad you approve of the use of your brushes. ;)

How's this for a coastline?

rpgmapmaker
06-27-2008, 08:34 PM
Yes, I like that much better... :)

not to sound picky but the coast is a little dark compared to the mountains and trees... try making the coastline match the shade of the mountains and the border of the trees... or making the mountains and trees a little darker to match the coastline and you will have an awesome map!

please don't take this the wrong way as it is already a beautiful map. I will be keeping an eye on this map... looking forward to seeing it complete.

I like how you lightened the "dark" side of the mountains... I may try to make some brushes like that.

-Chris

industrygothica
06-27-2008, 09:01 PM
Eh, I think this is as about as good as it's going to get for the outline...

Midgardsormr
06-27-2008, 09:29 PM
That is freaking beautiful, ig! I love watching your maps evolve. You hit so many different styles before you settle down. You have left me wondering about paths not taken, though.

rpgmapmaker
06-27-2008, 09:34 PM
yeah... it works together much better that way... I really like it.

I am looking forward to seeing location names and such... if you need anything built for this map like a compass rose or whatever just let me know :)

-Chris

industrygothica
06-27-2008, 09:45 PM
That is freaking beautiful, ig! I love watching your maps evolve. You hit so many different styles before you settle down. You have left me wondering about paths not taken, though.

Paths not taken?

I am looking forward to seeing location names and such... if you need anything built for this map like a compass rose or whatever just let me know

Names and such. Indeed, therein lies a problem. Names and history have escaped me at this point, though I've been wracking my brain trying to thing of something. I've got something in mind for the gorge, just not a name. It'll be an ominous place though, overrun with gnolls and hyenas. Bards' tales of the haunting laughter echoing throughout the canyon, foretelling a traveler's doom will fuel the nightmares of children throughout the region.

Savage humanoids plague the mountains in the north, fighting an endless battle for control that has teetered back and forth for as long as anyone can remember.

A large-ish port city on the eastern coast will serve as a defacto capital--if there ever was one, and a secluded community of halflings will make their home somewhere near both forest and river.

But that's about it...

jfrazierjr
06-27-2008, 10:54 PM
I like how you lightened the "dark" side of the mountains... I may try to make some brushes like that.

-Chris

Chris, if you want a bit of inspiration, check out this post where I did a few quick samples of the technique used by the artist of the Manthria map. Eventually(hopefully this weekend) I will make some of these for use in GIMP as a brush set and pipe.

Joe

jfrazierjr
06-27-2008, 10:56 PM
I've got something in mind for the gorge, just not a name. It'll be an ominous place though, overrun with gnolls and hyenas. Bards' tales of the haunting laughter echoing throughout the canyon, foretelling a traveler's doom will fuel the nightmares of children throughout the region.

The Scar?

Joe

Midgardsormr
06-27-2008, 11:00 PM
Paths not taken?

You went through quite a few different styles, and each of them would have been interesting to watch.

industrygothica
06-28-2008, 10:31 AM
Started looking over my neighbors' efforts to get some idea for a history and whatnot. Airith doesn't really have a story yet for area 20 above mine, but has accounted for the orcs and gnolls (I'll probably use goblins instead of gnolls for this area) I talked about earlier.

Sigurd's fantastically vague description of area 30 has left me with more than enough room to play, and a perfectly reasonable explanation of monstrous population towards the central and western regions.

rpgmapmaker, your offer of a compass rose would be more than appreciated. This is going to turn out to be as much your map as it is mine. ;)

I'm thinking of doing the scale in leagues rather than in miles--roughly three miles = 1 league. Can anyone think of a reason I shouldn't? I think that as far as overland movement goes, the 1 unit per hour aspect will be delightfully uncomplicated. But that's just me.

industrygothica
07-02-2008, 05:17 AM
I need a little input, please...

There's an island on the south-central portion of the map. It's not very big, but it's big enough that I just can't ignore, I think. I want to call it The Isle of the Forsaken and put a prison there. Does anyone know anything about prisons in a fantasy setting? Would this even be feasible?

Almost directly to the east of that, on the southern side of that unnamed river, is a major port city, Glimmergale.

Over the sea between the two is a naturally occurring phenomenon known as the Witchlights, or an aurora in modern terms. With the Witchlights comes all sorts of fanciful takes and legends, both horrific and otherwise. I realize that most real-life auroras wouldn't occur in this sort of region, but this isn't real life, is it? ;)

Any ideas on how to put this all together?

rpgmapmaker
07-02-2008, 12:49 PM
I need a little input, please...

There's an island on the south-central portion of the map. It's not very big, but it's big enough that I just can't ignore, I think. I want to call it The Isle of the Forsaken and put a prison there. Does anyone know anything about prisons in a fantasy setting? Would this even be feasible?

Well there have been many islands used as prisons... every thing from the Island of Patmos that served as a prison in bible times all the way to mighty Alcatraz Island in modern times. But for what you are looking for you might look into something like the Château d'If here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ch%C3%A2teau_d'If)

Islands work so well as prisons so I don't think it will be to hard to come up with several ways to keep the criminal scum there. Two big steps to overcome when making a prison is (one) the type... or who it is for... political prisoners, max security mass murderers, or just those that can not pay their debits. And (two) who guards it... men, beast, elemental, undead or goblins and such....

Other name Ideas:
Lost Soul Island
Guard Light Island

I know none of this is direct help, but the power of creation really is in your hands and we can but through out ideas to give you stuff to think about and play with.

-Chris

P.S. I am working on some compass rose ideas but was wondering if you had a theme in mind or wanted something more generic and "normal"? It can reflect the culture of the "map makers from the world" or the main tribe of this area if you have something for me to go on.

jfrazierjr
07-02-2008, 01:45 PM
Islands work so well as prisons so I don't think it will be to hard to come up with several ways to keep the criminal scum there. Two big steps to overcome when making a prison is (one) the type... or who it is for... political prisoners, max security mass murderers, or just those that can not pay their debits. And (two) who guards it... men, beast, elemental, undead or goblins and such....

Heh... Undead. The Doors are permanently sealed shut, but a normal human can fairly easily scale the walls and jump down to the outside walls. Perhaps the only way on an off the island is via magical teleportation, in a specific room, and only at a specific time. Heck, you could even make it one way like an episode of Stargate SG-1 where prisoners where thrown through and every day a connection was made an food was dumped. No magical escape is essentially possible since it's a one way portal, and manual escape is risky due to the undead outside the main compound. Of course, with no guards, its a very lawless place...

Joe

Ascension
07-02-2008, 04:37 PM
Chateau d'If and the Count of Monte Cristo (Edmund Dantes), love that one. Another infamous island prison is Devil's Island down in South America somewhere, there are still some surviving former prisoners living on the mainland after they closed it. As for the lights...the Bermuda Triangle has strange lights as well, not to mention clouds, currents, magnetic anomalies, and sinking ships. The most current theories I've heard about this is that gasses erupt upwards from tectonic movements accounting for the phenomena.

My 2 bits

industrygothica
07-03-2008, 08:33 PM
My daughter and I sat down and started naming things, and this is what we've come up with.

The Elven city of Laradell lies deep within the Liaglades in the northwest, and the Witchlights (the phenomenon) are now coming from the Witchlights (the forest) in the southwest, instead of the bay to the west.

Port Magalie is named after her, and she insists that it be a full marketplace with vendors and peddlers of all sorts and varieties, and so it is. We're currently battling over whether Port Magalie or Glimmergale is the capital. I think that maybe the citizens of each are as well.

We've decided that goblins (et al) and orcs are battling in the Slaughterspikes, which is currently controlled by the orcs. The goblins are coming from the Blackblade Forest below, aptly named for the blackblade goblins from the 4e monster manual.

The Woods just north of the city of Jaston (betcha can't guess who that's named after) are just that.. The Woods; what else would you call them?

The halflings of Callie's Thicket are a peaceful folk, and have a long and bloody history with the goblins of the Blackblades--legend has it that the land was scarred in a battle of epic proportions, and that spirits of the long dead may still wander in that place, The Scar of Fortune.

The font for the labels absolutely has to go because I hate it, but that'll come later. We still have to name the rivers as well

We'd love to hear feedback, and to listen to any ideas you have. Font suggestions would be great, if you have any.

SeerBlue
07-04-2008, 08:46 AM
Callies Thicket is a wonderful name, Thickets usually being small ( physically small, but not small in the amount of wonder they incite) it fits halflings perfectly, a great visualization. (I tend to picture names in my head, especially when the are so memorable).
pardon the rambling, I fell asleep on the couch watching fireworks, and awoke there this morning.
SeerBlue

Steel General
07-04-2008, 09:58 AM
The font for the labels absolutely has to go because I hate it, but that'll come later. We still have to name the rivers as well

We'd love to hear feedback, and to listen to any ideas you have. Font suggestions would be great, if you have any.

I've used a font called Caribbean (http://www.dafont.com/caribbean.font) on a couple of my WIP maps and had good results.

industrygothica
07-05-2008, 10:03 AM
I am working on some compass rose ideas but was wondering if you had a theme in mind or wanted something more generic and "normal"? It can reflect the culture of the "map makers from the world" or the main tribe of this area if you have something for me to go on.

I don't really have anything specific in mind--I'll leave it up to your artistic abilities. ;)

industrygothica
07-05-2008, 03:21 PM
With the exception of naming a few rivers and putting in some roads, I'm calling this map finished.

Oh, and I plan on putting in a scale too, for the scale police. ;)

alucard339
07-06-2008, 05:54 AM
Hi industry,

I realy like your map, It is simple but effective. I mostly like the color palet you've used, it makes it relaxing for the eye to look at the map.

And your font is easy to read too.

Continue the great work,

Alu.

industrygothica
07-06-2008, 08:47 AM
Hi industry,

I realy like your map, It is simple but effective. I mostly like the color palet you've used, it makes it relaxing for the eye to look at the map.

And your font is easy to read too.

Continue the great work,

Alu.

Thanks! I don't think it turned out too badly for my first real effort. Looking forward to the next one now.

ravells
07-06-2008, 02:52 PM
I like everything about this map except...except the sea. I guess I don't know what the texture is trying to be. I suggest just using the same texture as the land but perhaps a little darker? dunno.

Redrobes
07-06-2008, 05:55 PM
A nice map with great style. I will have to update the thumb map with the new style version soon. Well done.

industrygothica
07-07-2008, 01:22 AM
Can someone help me out with the scale? I've seen several numbers floating around, and I'm not sure which to use.

I want to map the Hammerfall region, but I don't know how big it really is. If the entire map is roughly 600 miles square, then I'm thinking it's about 20 (or so) miles at it's farthest points (the "nose" of the hammer to the "claw" end). Is that about right, or is the map smaller than that?

Midgardsormr
07-07-2008, 01:37 AM
According to a reliable source:

Then I did an image with the original blocks overlaid on top. It was instructive (I recall that it's been discussed before in a general way). The blocks are about 435 miles high. The bottom of blocks on the bottom row are about 370 miles wide. The tops of blocks in the top row are about 190 miles wide. The original estimate of 600x600 miles per block was way off assuming an Earth-sized world.

rpgmapmaker
07-07-2008, 08:01 PM
Well I have made a few compass roses to see what you think... let me know if any of them work for you. I can make just about anything but I need an idea to work from... for now I used the "scar" as a center piece and also tried a sword.

They are PS brushes as normal...

-Chris

industrygothica
07-08-2008, 02:53 AM
Well I have made a few compass roses to see what you think... let me know if any of them work for you. I can make just about anything but I need an idea to work from... for now I used the "scar" as a center piece and also tried a sword.

They are PS brushes as normal...

-Chris

I think they look great. As for ideas, what about something wispy and ethereal to symbolize the Witchlights, since that's what the area's named for?

rpgmapmaker
07-08-2008, 02:06 PM
I will see what I can come up with :) I had thought about making it some sort of lighthouse but I think bands of smoke and lights will be better. The only thing I worry about is making it understandable as a compass and still make it "ethereal". I will not know until I can try it out tonight with my beloved Photoshop... I will post the test(s) soon after.

I was wondering about the legend behind the Witchlights… seems like the ones behind the lights are Witches not to be taken lightly… and also I was wandering if a witches hat and "warted" nose comming out of the ethereal lights might make fine points on the compass rose… hummm...

-Chris

rpgmapmaker
07-08-2008, 09:19 PM
Well, I came up with one that I like although it is not very ethereal... I will let you be the judge while I do some more tests with the ethereal cloud type compass. I made it a brush as always.

-Chris

industrygothica
07-08-2008, 11:30 PM
I will see what I can come up with :) I had thought about making it some sort of lighthouse but I think bands of smoke and lights will be better. The only thing I worry about is making it understandable as a compass and still make it "ethereal". I will not know until I can try it out tonight with my beloved Photoshop... I will post the test(s) soon after.

I was wondering about the legend behind the Witchlights… seems like the ones behind the lights are Witches not to be taken lightly… and also I was wandering if a witches hat and "warted" nose comming out of the ethereal lights might make fine points on the compass rose… hummm...

-Chris

I think the Witchlights are probably more of a natural occurrence rather than a magical one, really; I never considered putting witches in it at all to be honest. I guess any area that could see them would have their own interpretation as to what causes them though - so a witch may be appropriate for a particular aspect of a legend.

Since the lights can be seen from the sea as well, I'd think many tales would get started that way, and other cultures in the area might have some sort of superstitions--or even celebrations--of the occurrence.

Regardless, I like the witchy-rose.