PDA

View Full Version : *** May Challenge VOTING - Draw a Map by Hand ***

Gidde
05-29-2012, 12:27 AM
This month's challenge was to draw a map entirely by hand on a physical medium, and then scan/photograph it with no "touching up" on the computer afterward. We have a ton of fantastic entries!

Check out the thumbnails here:

May Challenge Thumbnails (http://www.cartographersguild.com/forumdisplay.php?83-Current-Mapping-Challenge-Thumbnails)

Please vote for your favorite THREE (3) entries, and don't forget to rep those you vote for (or wish you had more votes to vote for)!

Voting will end in 4 days; good luck everyone!

Gidde
05-29-2012, 12:45 AM
Wow. That was very hard to choose. Excellent entries, everyone!

arsheesh
05-29-2012, 01:36 AM
Boy this was a tough one! Great job everyone, with so many quality entries, it will be interesting to see who takes home the prize.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Depassage
05-29-2012, 04:57 AM
Very good entries, and tough choices. Good work everyone!

Korash
05-29-2012, 01:24 PM
ONLY 3 choices???!!!???

Damn! well at least I can give everyone some Rep :) (will have to wait til I get home though) Still not sure who to vote for....I was looking through the threads and saying "yup. This one, This one too. Wow this one deserves a vote too.And this one....ect" and now we are told only three :(

Very good job all. And we had a lot of newcomers joining in on this one too :)

Depassage
05-29-2012, 02:19 PM
Arf, I forget to rep people... not so used to that, sorry...

Beoner
05-29-2012, 04:48 PM
I agree, three is not enough, it was a hard choice but I could decide, even if I wanted to vote for some more.

Already reped the guys, now I can only wish good luck to the rest ;)

flocko
05-29-2012, 04:52 PM
Very difficult choice.

Clercon
05-29-2012, 05:42 PM
This was such a great challenge and I really wish I've had the time to join. Really great entries as well. We really should have more paper and pen maps on the site :)

Diamond
05-30-2012, 12:45 AM
Damn! Can't rep cereth OR Jax! It's there in spirit, guys. Jax especially - that is freaking amazing; why are you not getting more votes??? :?:

This was such a great challenge and I really wish I've had the time to join. Really great entries as well. We really should have more paper and pen maps on the site :)

I agree with every point raised. :D

Jaxilon
05-30-2012, 01:58 AM
Thanks Diamond for the vote of confidence. I have to say I think I caught a bug with those little inserts. I have often looked at those massive maps with all the little details in the corners and extra images and thought, I'll never have the patience to sit and do all of that. Now I'm thinking I might have to just to get this out of my system. I had as much fun creating all of those as I did making the map. More if truth be told. I'm pretty sure I will be doing more hand drawn maps in the future just so I can use all my new watercolors and pens.

As for why I'm not getting more votes - I don't know and I supposed that is a problem (if anyone sees what's wrong let me know for next time :) ) - From my own perspective I would say I suffered from a lack of knowing where I was going from the start. I was limited by trying to use watercolor on non-watercolor paper which basically amounted to colored pencils that didn't work quite like colored pencils and I have never worked with colored pencils anyway. My wife doesn't care for this map as much as others of mine but then we discovered she doesn't much like underground maps in general, so who knows? She thought it was too flat or something.

The big thing I learned from this round was that I really need to get my vision down before I begin and that includes what medium I am going to work in. Also, I discovered that I had a blast making the little insert medallions.

Now, all I have to do is somehow bring all of this together with what I have learned over the last two years and I may be on to something.

On a side note, I was looking back over my stuff since I joined and I can see how far I have come. I only wish I had more time in my life to sit and paint.

RjBeals
05-30-2012, 10:24 AM
A Map of Penance City(Sinnyo): Love the detail in the pen work!
Lands of Ixoa (Cereth): Gorgeous map and deserves a win.
Untitled Fantasy Continent(DLC): Those mountains alone won my vote. Hope you come around to finishing this!

*edit Much respect for all the entries - it's certainly not easy to sit down to a blank sheet of paper and create a map by hand. The challenges are meant to be a fun way to expand skill sets, meet other members, work towards deadlines, and enjoy the thrill of competition. I accomplished all of them!

lostatsea
05-30-2012, 05:04 PM
Damn !! Too many great entries and not enough votes !! Decisions Decisions !! Gave out too much REP Today . So some of You Will be getting Yours Tomorrow !!

rdanhenry
05-31-2012, 10:41 PM
I count 16 voting choices and only 14 thumbnails.

Bogie
05-31-2012, 11:23 PM
I count 16 voting choices and only 14 thumbnails.

That's because Lukc never entered a map and Havercakes24's entry didn't qualify as it was pre-drawn.

Bogie
06-03-2012, 01:19 AM
Congrats to Gidde!! Great map!! Same for Cereth, Darn close second!!!

Sapiento
06-03-2012, 08:20 AM
Congratulations!

Depassage
06-03-2012, 10:09 AM
Congratulations to the winner and to every participant!

cereth
06-03-2012, 10:46 AM
Yes! Congratulations to Gidde for a well deserved win!

Gidde
06-03-2012, 02:38 PM
Thanks so much everyone!

And to Cereth, a tip of the hat! Great entry, and a helluva close race!

Djekspek
06-03-2012, 04:37 PM
completely missed this month challenge :( but wow! so many great entries! Gratz Gidde, really awesome map! cheers, DJ

Gidde
06-03-2012, 04:41 PM
Thanks, DJ! Couldn't have done it without your little icon tutorials!

arsheesh
06-03-2012, 07:22 PM
Congrats Gidde! Very well done.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Diamond
06-03-2012, 11:46 PM
Well deserved win, Gidde! One of the best maps I've seen around here in a while...

Jaxilon
06-04-2012, 02:10 AM
Congrats Gidde. I was out of town for the weekend so just now catching up on what's what around here. Thanks for the votes everyone! Sorry Cereth that there is only one award winner but what a good race.

mearrin69
06-05-2012, 03:28 PM
Wow. I knew I was going to miss the challenge this month but I missed the voting too. Congrats Gidde...beautiful work. There were some really great ones this month.
M

Gidde
06-05-2012, 05:46 PM
Thanks, guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jfrazierjr
06-05-2012, 06:32 PM
I quite literally could not bring myself to vote. There were to many entries I liked(at least 5) and I just could not in good conscience pair that down the the max of 3, so I abstained from voting.