PDA

View Full Version : May/June 2012 Lite Entry: Broadway Tower

Bogie
05-30-2012, 10:05 PM
This challenge is more in my range, I'll never be very good at normal drawing.

I plan on making a floor plan battlemap of Broadway Tower, a small castle / tower in England. It has a rather unique design that I thought would be fun to work with. I am not trying to replicate it, I am just going to use the basic layout.

I haven't started the map yet but here is a copy of the picture this will be based on.

Gidde
05-31-2012, 08:15 AM
Sounds like a great idea, can't wait to see what you do with it :)

Jaxilon
06-04-2012, 01:15 AM
Whoa, that looks cool. I'm still brainstorming on this one but depending on how my weeks go this month I hope to enter something.

Bogie
06-04-2012, 01:54 AM
I figured out the basic shape by looking at several pictures shot from different angles.

atpollard
06-04-2012, 09:10 AM
I don't know if this will be of any use, but FYI ...

Jaxilon
06-04-2012, 10:25 AM
Hey, even if it isn't of any use I was happy to read it. I didn't know they would bother with such things. And Bogie, it looks like you were dead on accurate as far as layout so good job there.

Bogie
06-05-2012, 08:52 AM
Thanks guys. Great info atpollard.

Lyandra
06-05-2012, 08:04 PM
This looks really promising. Looking forward to the finished piece. And good luck with the challange! :)

Bogie
06-07-2012, 01:21 AM
Thanks Lyandra :)

This is the first floor, 90% finished. Just have a few details to add. Anyone have any other ideas what to put in here?

Jaxilon
06-07-2012, 10:11 AM
Hmm, a place to hang your muddy clothing or at least a cloak? Unless that's what the armored statues are for? hehe.

atpollard
06-07-2012, 11:50 AM
Every space serves a function. While you have clearly defined the function of the small tower spaces (bedroom, armory, stairs) the larger central space seems undefined … or at least under-utilized.

Might I suggest role-playing a simple scenario: Two guests arrive for a visit during a light rain.

1. The doorman/guard (who dwells in the ground floor bedroom) will want to invite the guests out of the rain (so he doesn’t need to stand in the rain) to speak with them … so you need some open floor space immediately inside the door.

2. The ‘guests’ will need to wait in this reception area while the ‘master of the castle’ is summoned … they will need someplace to wait, so a small end table and two chairs would be nice.

3. The owner might want visitors to be both entertained and reminded of his affluence while they wait … so a focal point to the room might be in order. Located either directly opposite the front door (so you immediately see it upon entering) or near the center of the room (as a focal point to the space). An ornate fireplace mantle, or a statue, or a fountain could serve this purpose nicely.

4. The owner arrives and has business to discuss with these gentlemen, so they will be staying a while, but not being close friends, they are not invited upstairs to the main living area … so they will need a ‘coat closet’ (which could be an armoire-like cabinet), probably located near the door, but outside of the ‘greeting’ area of item 1.

5. Since such a gathering might typically contain the owner and one or two guests … a third chair that can be moved to join the seating group of item 2 would be useful.

Given the above, might I suggest:
moving the suits of armor to flank the doors (7 suits all together)
a fireplace in one of the ‘corners’ to heat the room
two chairs facing the fireplace
two more chairs and a small table in the other corner
a coat cabinet along the wall near the armory
[and if space permits, a small fountain in the center of the room]

atpollard
06-07-2012, 11:56 AM
Thinking about it, you could get by with only four suits of armor, two by the armory door (to symbolically guard the weapons) and two by the stairs (to symbolically guard access to the private areas).

[I didn’t mention it earlier, but I love the small table for guests to leave their weapons before being invited upstairs.]

Bogie
06-07-2012, 03:11 PM
Thanks guys, lots of great ideas! I'll work on this tonight when I get home.

Bogie
06-08-2012, 01:19 AM
Here is an update of floor 1

### Latest WIP ###

Fury
06-08-2012, 10:36 AM
Bogie, floor 1 already takes up my whole screen :)
How will you fit 5 floors? Or can we use a link of pics as 1 latest WIP?

lostatsea
06-08-2012, 03:52 PM
Hey Bogie How about a ( ### Latest WIP###) so the thumbnail scrubber can post give us a Thumbnail !! Looking great so far !!

Bogie
06-09-2012, 09:22 PM
Added the thumbnail scrubber.

There will be 5 floorplans when I'm done, all will be combined onto one image. This is just the ground level.

The tower has 6 levels if you count the top of the round towers, and would have 7 if I include a basement.

Does this challenge specify exactly 5 floors or is it at least 5 floors?

Bogie
06-11-2012, 01:13 AM
Disaster strikes again! While exporting the two floors I am posting tonight I accidentally deleted floors 2, 3, & 4 which were nearly finished. No way to recover them. If I want to finish this challenge I will have to reconstruct them from scratch. Not sure I will have time, but will try.

This is the top of the main building (5th floor) and the top of the 3 round towers (6th floor).

Jaxilon
06-11-2012, 01:28 AM
sorry to hear that man. I have done that sort of thing a few times and it makes you sick to your stomach. On the bright side you tend to remake them better than the first time but it's still a painful experience. I like the crenelations (forget what they are called atm) on your tower walls. Nicely done.

tilt
06-12-2012, 04:24 PM
looks great, I hope you get time to reconstruct the lost floors :/

Bogie
06-13-2012, 01:06 AM
Thanks for the encouragement.:) I just wanted to post a quick screenshot to show I am working on redoing the map.

On the right is level 2 Banquet and entertainment. Level 3 personal space is on the left.

Bogie
06-15-2012, 10:54 AM
Well, I have all the floors redone, except for that last minute fix that is always needed. And then i have to put them all together in one image.
For now here is level 2

### Latest WIP ###

Bogie
06-15-2012, 03:41 PM
Here are levels 3 & 4

45676 45677

Bogie
06-15-2012, 07:02 PM
Here are different side views of the original Broadway Tower:

Bogie
06-15-2012, 07:13 PM
And this is my final Challenge Entry:
It is not an exact replica, but it is pretty close.
I took the six levels and superimposed them over the base, blurring the base a little more for each higher level.
I didn't do a basement but I will post something later.

### Latest WIP ###

maxsdaddy
06-15-2012, 07:37 PM
Great work Bogie! The blurring works out great when looking at a close-up off the WIP.

Jaxilon
06-15-2012, 08:12 PM
Hmmm...I wonder if you faded the color out more and more on those back layers if that might work as well....even perhaps changing them into a greyscale or something. The blurring works but you might want to give it a whirl if you are up to toying with it. The only thing about he blur that gets to me is that I still try to look at it which forces me to want to squint. Maybe leave the blur but de-tune the colors out so your eye automatically goes to the area you want them to focus on?

Just pitching ideas as they came to me. Good job man, looks great.

lostatsea
06-15-2012, 09:33 PM
Looking great. Love the details! I agree with JAX Gradual de-saturation might be worth a try !??